• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Just a quick thing that made me happy:

naruPlushie.jpg

My girlfriend surprised me with a Naru Plushie yesterday :)

@prophecy0: Patch is coming!

@Teggy: Yes, it's a known, but very hard to reproduce bug. It's fixed in the upcoming patch, so not to worry :)

Holy... she made that?

Good on her!

Just had to check back in on my favorite GAF thread ever. I got a slap on the wrist (temp ban) for being overly...... exuberant in my criticism of a certain content-light AAA shooter. I deserved it perhaps, perhaps not, but the most important thing is I can get back to posting about Ori.

@Thomas - I know you probably can't answer this but I'm gonna ask anyway. Is there any word on if the 360 version has been indefinitely delayed or if it has a ballpark release window like Q3/Q4 or something? Just wondering because I've got that itch to dive back in again just wondered about that.

@Thomas - I know you probably can't answer this but I'm gonna ask anyway. Is there any word on if the 360 version has been indefinitely delayed or if it has a ballpark release window like Q3/Q4 or something? Just wondering because I've got that itch to dive back in again just wondered about that.

We're still looking into it. When we switched from 360 to X1, we did quite a lot of stuff to use Xbox One's power - but obviously we have to become creative to then again make everything work on 360. So I can't really say more than our tech people are currently on that :)

There's some other interesting things happening though and the patch is also being test feverishly atm.

Also, I'm constantly amazed by the quality of the fanart people create. It was so awesome to see that right after E3 last year, people immediately started drawing and painting our characters and our world and it just makes me really happy to see so much passion there:
tumblr_nn476pq1GN1uoq4w8o1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nn124gotrL1u46in2o1_1280.jpg

AA8C2AC296CB506E5D4B3283A0D66250EC28D5C1

76536C5249F5140F1E8B648EA39637AB29A11B9F

1310x2048.resizedimage

4A6873F60A8341674646D3ACE240C379E819DD93

2048x1267.resizedimage

3A052D11797818FB38413675EAC6B5FCEDD8774A

09C5B2D6C0EC0A374EE4489C7577B1A21D3A13A1

3A0899D6381AAE55948BF9AB4D00D9EA1814B2A9

5B18C2A978877A3F9846A6B2F2EE8BC81B2489BF

Also love the gifs people are making:
F9909519BCDC1B35C118B2B9ED1EF1F37D8C0166

02AA75144C45681D00B455F5751690DAE43E50D8

Oooo gonna have to try that first one. Looks like a good shortcut, although I'm doing 100% runs now rather than any% so I dunno when I'll use it. Personal best 100% run was around 1hr45mins or so but it didn't register to the leaderboard for some reason. That's ok though, shooting for 1hr30min 100% anyway. :)

About the 360 - yeah I bet it'll be tough to get it on there without sacrificing. I couldn't see it pushing 60fps on the 360 unless the detail/resolution was significantly dropped.

Dr. Buni

Beautiful fanart. I wish there were more Kuro fanart, though. She is probably the most memorable character in the game for me.

Will there be a fix for not being able to jump out water anytime soon? And would the theoretical patch let me keep playing from where I got stuck or would I have to start my game over again?

Happened to me after escaping the water tree, was loving the game too :(

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it recently. Great game, the best I played this year.

There is one thing that is terrible about it and it got mentioned a lot already.

The missing backtracking. I even used a tool on PC to get back into Forlon Ruins, but you still can't get back into Misty Woods. The only stuff I'm missing is in there. Terrible, terrible decission to not let you do that in this type of game.

Finished it recently. Great game, the best I played this year.

There is one thing that is terrible about it and it got mentioned a lot already.

The missing backtracking. I even used a tool on PC to get back into Forlon Ruins, but you still can't get back into Misty Woods. The only stuff I'm missing is in there. Terrible, terrible decission to not let you do that in this type of game.

You'd be surprised how much fun the 2nd playthrough is. And the 3rd. And....

Play through again so you can do a 100% run. You won't regret it.

Beautiful fanart. I wish there were more Kuro fanart, though. She is probably the most memorable character in the game for me.

I love her too :) I'd love to see people doing more with her - she's an amazing, tragic character.

Will there be a fix for not being able to jump out water anytime soon? And would the theoretical patch let me keep playing from where I got stuck or would I have to start my game over again?

Happened to me after escaping the water tree, was loving the game too :(

Yes, the patch will fix the water bug and you'll be able to just keep playing :)

dLMN8R

I've been thinking about Ori and the Blind Forest quite a bit since I beat it a few weeks ago. About why it resonated so strongly with me.

Was it the incredible soundtrack?
The amazing introduction?
The masterful production that seamlessly blended satisfying gameplay into surprising cutscenes?

I think it's all of that combined, but more importantly, the escape sequences in this game are the "boss fights" sorely lacking in so many others like it.

The best boss fights are characterized by their ability to blend together all the gameplay elements you've been trained to use throughout some number of hours, bump up the difficulty, and throw in a huge amount of spectacle to make the whole sequence feel special.

Ori's escape sequences have all that and then some. And it benefits from the fact that fast failures are followed by the ability to instantly retry. The catharsis from beating them is nearly unmatched. And the reward you get in terms of cutscene production and music is just wild.

I think that's the icing on the cake, what really pushed Ori over the edge for me from "Great" into "all-time favorite". It simply has some of the best "boss fights" I've ever played.

dLMN8R

I think it doesn't hurt that immediately before playing Ori, I played through Metroid Prime 2 and 3, the latter of which has some truly awful boss fights :(

was it ever revealed why the spirit tree "lit the skies ablaze", and why it only killed some things and not others?

It's all there in the game. I read some good interpretations on the net already :)

On an unrelated note:

825a06548034e12d88e82488c2038587.jpg

Somebody made an Ori plushie! Love it :)

I wrote this on another forum a week ago but having completed it i think all my points still stand, especially as these issues show up more in the 2nd half.

Bought this the other day and just over halfway through. What a beautiful and almost perfect game. The way it does Pixar quality emotional moments is stunning, I especially loved the 'boss fight' with gumo, very few games take that approach normally making you kill everything in sight. Even the big bad of the game makes you rethink things. I won't write loads on why it's amazing because everyone else has already done that but I'll talk about a few tweaks that could have made it better.

The difficulty for this game I think for the most part is fine. It's tough but fair but there's three main issues.

1. Off screen things killing you. About half way through there's a lot of areas you have to go to with blind faith. Really the camera needed to zoom out or be moveable as often there's either a mechanic off screen you need to use or an enemy like a laser you have no idea is there. It's a little unfair to kill me with no warning what's down that hole I have to go into first.

2. The thorns. The hit detection really needs to be toned down. Just being near one can sometimes damage you and it makes some wall jumping frustrating as you need to be right close to a thorn to be able to jump across. If there was a bit more leeway or just slightly less thorns it'd make the experience much nicer for certain jumps.

3. Escape sequences. These are amazing and I could imagine they'd be even more amazing if you could get through them by the skin of your teeth within a couple of goes. As it is they are far too trial and error and require knowledge of what's happening next, especially the second one which has parts where you feel there's no place to hide. The first one bothered me because the water followed you too closely, every time I went higher it rose right with me instantly. Whilst I get this creates tension it's far too punishing and having it rise at a slightly lower rate would have made it more fun and just as challenging.

The 2nd one could really have done with half the objects being removed. Again it'd have been just as tough but so much more thrilling getting through it within a couple of goes compared to 20.

*addition* The final one really showed to me what was truely wrong with the escape sequences and thats the timing. Take any Mario game and especially the super star videos they release where they complete levels without touching the ground. They are able to do that because enemies are positioned and move to a specific time. Ori does not do this, instead it feels like everything is set to a clock. So one load can see me running fall pelt into a falling object, whilst a second load will see me in front or behind it because every 2 seconds its just dropping, no matter what time the load starts at.

If it was like Mario where it only triggered once you was in a certain radius of it, it'd make for less frustrations on reloads and hopefully more excitement as you are able to chain around it. This is most common with falling objects but i think most things that repeat work on the same time. It did sour the ending to the game as two identical runs would result in two slightly different reaction times to things.

Escape sequences are always meant to be about the pressure to do things fast and well, not to know ahead of time what's happening and being super precise. Having check points for me wouldn't solve the issue, the sequences are actually really short and much more impactful doing them in one go than keeping them as they are but just restarting you part of the way through. Especially with that gorgeous music.

Besides these small issue though the game so far is a breath of fresh air!

Oh and i hate
that stupid tree! It's all it's fault and yet it kills off Kumo at the end!

Izuna

Banned
Almost beat the game but realised that I missed out part of Forlorn Ruins. Hmm...

I can't decide on finishing the game or restarting, but I would kick myself if I restarted and missed something somewhere else.

It's a shame really. I disagree about the whole "people are used to Super Metroid" thing. I think that if Ori simply hid the completion %, no one would mind. But it's always there, every time you look at a map you are shown what you haven't done.

When I went into Forlorn Ruins, I jumped into every corner, backtracked all over the place. I missed the part to the right just before the next section, because I thought that where I went was the "wrong way". I made a 50/50 guess and it started a cutscene. Immediately after I closed the game, thinking that there wouldn't be any autosaves, but there was. The worst part is that the wavepoint thing on the map didn't point there.

The next section was so great and so fun, but the fact that I ended up missing something "by accident" ruined the mood for me.

The first time, falling somewhere where I had to restart the game, it took me few days to go back to play Ori. I am very impressed by this game, don't get me wrong, I gifted another copy to my brothers because I want as many people to play it too... but these design choices feel like bugs that should be patched.

The first gamebreaking bug I came across will be patched, but I am sad to hear that revisiting the area won't be patched.

You mentioned that you had to decide about putting nothing "valuable" in a certain area. Ultimately I agree that it would have just made people not want to play the game anymore, as if everyone got 100% in their first play through then it would be their only playthrough besides speedrunning etc.

Now in Forlorn Ruins, the autosave makes sense as in that area there is no way to save, and it happens after a cutscene. I like that there aren't any "are you sure" prompts either anywhere in Ori.

It's just that, unlike games like Metroid, I usually don't bother 100% as I would like in Ori. When you get new abilities, all people want to do is return to prior sections. It makes sense if a lot of people wanted to wait until their had a triple jump or something before returning after the first act etc.

It's tricky but, I think it would have been better to hide progress details a bit more -- particularly the % with the filling circle. Make it available only during second playthrough, don't let it ruin people's first time experience.

The whole map screen as it is seems to be like a guide to where everything is. A lot of secrets are "how do I get there" because the powerups will appear even without the ability, so long as you get close to them. When they show up on the map, people want to go after them like they would if it was in front of them in game. It's incredibly frustrating to constantly see that and not be able to return.

If I could try and clarify a bit more... Super Metroid lets the player who isn't aiming for 100% aware that there could be more secrets, and lets them know how much they got with the % overall. In Ori, the game is constantly teasing you "you missed this!" and sometimes "next playthrough buddy!".

I don't write reviews professionally, but personally I would say it would be why I would give a 9/10 over a 10/10.

--

Now that I have missed out on Forlorn Ruins, there is no point to me looking for anything or backtracking anywhere with the new powers unless it is a new playthrough. And that was something I enjoyed doing after the first act.

So I either tell myself that the missables aren't important or next time I fear missing something with no return since I don't want to use a guide. Lost Odyssey is an example of missables being done well but obviously its solution can't be in Ori, where an auction house let you buy anything that was truly missable (baring a bug where a couple of spells in a shop were only ever sold once).

So much of Ori is brilliantly and intelligently decision, but the missables weren't imho.

For a game that shows you during it's beginning areas about returning to places after acquiring new abilities (first save well) it feels bad.

EDIT:

Ugh I can't bring myself to play this now. So annoying because I like it but... I feel conned out of my time.

Izuna

Banned
I am doing god's work.

I sold an Xbox One with Ori and another sole copy of Ori yesterday when a couple of mates came over to play FIFA hahahaha

"It's beautiful."

MCD

Game was such a snooze fest till the first escape sequence. Dat music. Dat super meat boy like tension.

This game is on the level of Nintendo games. Surprised MS isn't pushing it more. I strongly believe MS should push for Ori to be included in Smash rather than Banjo.

Ori is a real star and deserve much more.

Dr. Buni

This game is on the level of Nintendo games.
What does this even mean?
I strongly believe MS should push for Ori to be included in Smash rather than Banjo.
Wtf. lol. I love the game, but what is with people's fixation with everything being included in Smash? Ori wasn't even released for Nintendo systems.

MCD

What does this even mean?

Wtf. lol. I love the game, but what is with people's fixation with everything being included in Smash? Ori wasn't even released for Nintendo systems.

meant polished as Mario games.

and everything should be in smash lol.

Izuna

Banned
meant polished as Mario games.

and everything should be in smash lol.

What do you mean by polished? It has gamebreaking bugs where your save can be done in such a way you have to reset your file. And of course, outside of steam, it has random slowdown.

I like Ori, but polished doesn't make any sense in comparison to Mario.

spannicus

Got stuck inside a warping tree, couldnt get out no matter how many times i reset the game. have to start the whole thing over. smh

MCD

What do you mean by polished? It has gamebreaking bugs where your save can be done in such a way you have to reset your file. And of course, outside of steam, it has random slowdown.

I like Ori, but polished doesn't make any sense in comparison to Mario.

No bugs here whatsoever. Just a good experience all around for me.

Look what just came in the mail!

oriControllerMINE.jpg

:) :) :)

You are so mean to post that here.

If you ever decide to sell it, please PM me. I'm not kidding I'd pay some real stupid money for that! Or trade you my white rubberized "I made this" one that MS gave to their launch team employees lol.

We need the plushy maker to sell them on Ebay (with Moon's permission of course). She/he'd make a mint.

So i finally bite the bullet and erase my bugged save where i can't jump out of water, now i have found a bug where I am stuck in geometry and cant kill myself this is 3 hours in. This must be refund worthy if i have found 2 progress breaking bugs? Cant even finish the game I paid for...

mike4001_

So i finally bite the bullet and erase my bugged save where i can't jump out of water, now i have found a bug where I am stuck in geometry and cant kill myself this is 3 hours in. This must be refund worthy if i have found 2 progress breaking bugs? Cant even finish the game I paid for...

Also the release was almost two months ago and still no sign of the patch ...

When I go back in the thread I believe it was promised weeks ago.

mortis316uk

Neo Member
Yeah it's starting to feel like it sold well enough for the dev to move on to their next project and screw the folk who got a game breaking bug 'cos they've already got our money.

Fuck. I was at the last chase sequence of the game and it was kicking my ass. I left it paused and went to go to work. When. I came back to resume it my Xbox had frozen so I tried everything before restarting it but nothing seemed to work. Once I restarted it the game took me back to the final section before the last chase which is a good amount t of work for those of you who have played it. Welp, guess I have some work to do.

Poona

Also the release was almost two months ago and still no sign of the patch ...

When I go back in the thread I believe it was promised weeks ago.

Yeah, I'm waiting until release of the patch before getting back into the game. Surprised it's taken so long.

Colbert

Banned
Yeah, I'm waiting until release of the patch before getting back into the game. Surprised it's taken so long.

Fortunately I had no issues so far on my Xbox One version of the game. Still stuck at the 2nd escape sequence ... Angst :)

Yeah it's starting to feel like it sold well enough for the dev to move on to their next project and screw the folk who got a game breaking bug 'cos they've already got our money.

That kinda hurts. We've been fixing a lot of issues that people brought up and even implemented some new features, like the new backup save system, so that even if you do find some issues, you can revert back to older saves.

Releasing a patch across both platforms isn't that easy and the act of releasing it to the public isn't all in our control, but I hope the upcoming patch will make everyone happy.

Special C

Amazing game. I guess my only gripe is how easy it is to miss part of the forlorn ruins. I don't even really mind the fact that you can't revisit them, but the fact that that one is so easy to go the "wrong" way in is kind of annoying.

That kinda hurts. We've been fixing a lot of issues that people brought up and even implemented some new features, like the new backup save system, so that even if you do find some issues, you can revert back to older saves.

Releasing a patch across both platforms isn't that easy and the act of releasing it to the public isn't all in our control, but I hope the upcoming patch will make everyone happy.

Perhaps if you hadn't stated over and over that the patch was coming 'very soon' over 2 weeks ago then people would be a little nicer.

I'm guessing Microsoft are the ones holding back the patch? Since Sony had multiple GTA V patches in the space of a week or two and the XB1 GTA V patch came much later.

It's still massively frustrating that your game has game breaking bugs that can occur 3+ hours into the game.

Surely getting fixes out should have been done ASAP, but like 2 months after release?

stktt

Banned
I'm sure the team isn't intentionally delaying the patch, but it doesn't change the fact that I haven't played this game since March because I've already experienced five hard crashes and don't want to risk one of the other game breaking bugs.

algert

Banned
I'm one of many who had a bug-free experience with Ori, but I feel for those who can't progress or decide to reset their progress multiple hours in. I'm looking forward to replaying once this patch is out because I loved Ori so much. Maybe I wont tear up the second time I play, who knows?

Special C

Perhaps if you hadn't stated over and over that the patch was coming 'very soon' over 2 weeks ago then people would be a little nicer.

I'm guessing Microsoft are the ones holding back the patch? Since Sony had multiple GTA V patches in the space of a week or two and the XB1 GTA V patch came much later.

It's still massively frustrating that your game has game breaking bugs that can occur 3+ hours into the game.

Surely getting fixes out should have been done ASAP, but like 2 months after release?

Broken Hope

(This isn't a dig at the poster, just thought the user name was very appropriate for the post ;) )

amrod

when will pc steam patch be out?

I saved in a bad place with just one heart... Do I gotta restart game or is there anyway to get more hearts?

GennadiyKorol

Neo Member
We are really sorry about the long wait for the patch guys.
We've been working really hard to bring you the new save backup features as well as making sure that all of the fixes are rock solid.
We genuinely believed that it would be out earlier but unfortunately there were unexpected delays in the process that were completely out of our hands.

Steam patch should up right now and the X1 will follow shortly!

Here are the Steam Patch release notes:
Additions:
  • A new save slot backup system which allows accessing up to 5 previous save points per save slot.
  • To use the new backup system simply press Up while highlighting a save slot.
  • The save slot backup feature will only work with new soul links and auto save points being made and is not retroactive.

Improvements:
  • Significantly reduced input lag when playing the game in full screen with VSync On.
  • Toggling between fullscreen and windowed mode (Alt+Enter shortcut) should now be instant.
  • Alt+Tab switching performance and behavior drastically improved and is much faster.
  • Better handling of multi-monitor setups - the game can now be played in full screen on any monitor.
  • Resolution switching is now handled much better and is significantly faster.
  • Improved input handling for RT/LT and some buttons for different custom controllers.
  • A lot of performance tweaking and optimization across the board.

Bug Fixes:
  • Retroactively fixed the bug where players couldn’t jump out of the water.
  • Fixed rare scenarios in which Ori would randomly fall through colliders of the ground.
  • Fixed instances in which people could save in bad locations or get into infinite death loops.
  • Fixed the game hangs caused by toggling fullscreen mode, usage of win key or alt+tab.
  • Fixed the “Elite” Achievement not awarding in some cases.
  • Retroactively fixed the issue of the last door in Mount Horu not opening.
  • Retroactively fixed the Light Vessel not appearing in Forlorn Ruins.
  • Fixed the issue of people being stuck under the stompable wedge in Sunken Glades.
  • Fixed instance in which players are able to sequence skip the Glide ability and get stuck.
  • Fixed pushing and pulling blocks not functioning properly in some rare cases.
  • Fixed the issue with players getting stuck under the lasers in Moon Grotto.
  • Fixed instance in which the sequence after Kuro’s Nest wouldn’t play properly.
  • Fixed the issue in which players get pushed through the ground by a stomper in Moon Grotto.
  • Fixed the sequence break that might occur due to watching Kuro’s Attack cutscene before starting a new game.
  • No longer possible to lock the game by opening the Skill Tree while Bashing.
  • Fixed the save slots set to completed when playing the last cutscene from the menu.
  • Fixed the issue of not being able to jump when getting Charge Jump without Climb.
  • Fixed text rendering when playing in DX9 mode.

Thanks again for all your love and support for Ori and Moon, it's really heart warming and is greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom