• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'm always exceedingly hyped for coop in games like this. It needs to be full campaign coop though, not just a tacked-on mode, so it might not be the best "addon".

I can say with 100% certainty that if Ori had full coop you'd have sold 2 more copies already ;)

I think it would ruin the design of the single-player game for metroidvania. Has there ever been a co-op metroidvania? Then again, maybe that's what could make a sequel original.

ArjanN

I think it would ruin the design of the single-player game for metroidvania. Has there ever been a co-op metroidvania? Then again, maybe that's what could make a sequel original.

Guacamelee has co-op.

It also has some pretty hard platforming bits, where you're very likely to keep fucking the other player over, so really it was more of a novelty IMO.

Try Dust: An Elysian Tale.

I keep hearing people make this comparison but I really don't think Dust is anything like Ori. Dust: Elysian Tale is more of an action-rpg with some light metroidvania elements, but not a full-on metroidvania, and certainly not a platformer in any respect.

I keep hearing people make this comparison but I really don't think Dust is anything like Ori. Dust: Elysian Tale is more of an action-rpg with some light metroidvania elements, but not a full-on metroidvania, and certainly not a platformer in any respect.

Having played both I couldn't get into Dust but Ori is one of my favorite games of all time.

Just to chime in, I think any DLC would be very much welcomed. I just want to be able to dive back into the world even if it is just more challenges or one off escape sequences etc.

As for multiplayer it is a tough one, if done right The Micro Machines style could work though.

I think the best way for it to be implemented is probably just allowing ghosts or your friends in new set piece timed runs. Then be able to see your friends ghosts as you also do the challenges.

I recently broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years. I've been a little more tender than usual.

This game's intro hit me harder than I expected. Very sad. :(

I recently broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years. I've been a little more tender than usual.

That sucks brother sorry to hear it. Don't be ashamed of getting a little 'salty' playing Ori if you know what I mean. That little forest spirit hits you right in the feels.

Maybe you're now just at the start of a new journey, just like Ori :)

I finally had some time this past weekend to write some new material for a prototype I've been dabbling around with for years. It's a bit difficult for me to read (and see) all the reactions people had to Ori, but I think it's good that we can finally address real human issues through games, even if it's in the form of allegory, like in the case of Ori and the Blind Forest.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've been playing a big part of Ori this weekend and my fiancée was complaining that I played the game while she was in the room because the intro was so sad she had to cry. Also she was mad at me whenever Ori got hurt. We both love the music and the visuals btw.

Overall, I'm surprised by the game, I wasn't too happy about the Gamescom demo and I still think that Ori lacks momentum in air and jumps too far and not high enough to feel good, making more difficult platforming sections a bit troublesome. However, the world design is great and I am really happy to see a developer with a game that at first glance seems like "one of those artsy indie games" really put a lot of thought into the actual gameplay aspect of the level design, lovely! The highlight for me are the various clever moves. Oftentimes it's quite obvious what you will get in the area if you've played some platformers before, but other times, you get more creative moves like
shooting yourself off projectiles
or
the feather (Yoshi's Story's umbrella says hello :))
and I loved that. I'll leave one more comment: This week I had to play this game, FF Type-0, Slender, Toukiden Kuwami and Oddworld New 'N' Tasty for review and Ori easily stole all other games the show, best one of the bunch by a huge margin.

I've been playing a big part of Ori this weekend and my fiancée was complaining that I played the game while she was in the room because the intro was so sad she had to cry. Also she was mad at me whenever Ori got hurt. We both love the music and the visuals btw.

Overall, I'm surprised by the game, I wasn't too happy about the Gamescom demo and I still think that Ori lacks momentum in air and jumps too far and not high enough to feel good, making more difficult platforming sections a bit troublesome. However, the world design is great and I am really happy to see a developer with a game that at first glance seems like "one of those artsy indie games" really put a lot of thought into the actual gameplay aspect of the level design, lovely! The highlight for me are the various clever moves. Oftentimes it's quite obvious what you will get in the area if you've played some platformers before, but other times, you get more creative moves like
shooting yourself off projectiles
or
the feather (Yoshi's Story's umbrella says hello :))
and I loved that. I'll leave one more comment: This week I had to play this game, FF Type-0, Slender, Toukiden Kuwami and Oddworld New 'N' Tasty for review and Ori easily stole all other games the show, best one of the bunch by a huge margin.

Best game like this since Super Metroid. If it takes as long for the next game of this caliber in this genre to be released, I'm going to be one sad panda. But at least I'll have Ori to keep re-playing.

valeo

Hey, guys, this game is really good. I'm about 1/4 way through and loving it; I'm not a big platform guy either.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Can anyone help me out? I am trying to use my dualshock 4 with this game but the buttons are all messed up. I read online to close everything and click on the Hide DS4 option in DS4Windows but that didn't work. Anyone else have this issue?

Can anyone help me out? I am trying to use my dualshock 4 with this game but the buttons are all messed up. I read online to close everything and click on the Hide DS4 option in DS4Windows but that didn't work. Anyone else have this issue?

I don't know but I just installed DS4Windows and plugged in my DS4 it worked perfectly. Did you install other similiar software or driver? I would uninstall all of them and just leave DS4Windows.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
I don't know but I just installed DS4Windows and plugged in my DS4 it worked perfectly. Did you install other similiar software or driver? I would uninstall all of them and just leave DS4Windows.

Ok I reinstalled DS4windows and all the buttons are still messed up this is super frustrating.

Welfare

Bought the game yesterday and finally got to play it today.

So far, I'm loving it! Controls and music are great. That one section when you activate the water tree and you have to escape really showed me just how fast this game be and how responsive the controls are.

One of my games of the year right now.

Lima

What is the status of patches right now? My game glitched and with some of the annoying glitches in this I don't wanna go back until it is fixed.

prophecy0

I've been playing a lot of Ori over the past few days and I'm really loving it. However, I've encountered a bug that may result in me just giving up on the game. As far as I can tell, the game is no longer saving my progress. The checkpoints work just fine, but if I exit out to the menu my progression is not saved.

Here's how it started.

I saved my game at the beginning of Misty Woods and then copied my save file since Misty Woods includes a collectible and some secret areas that can be missed. I completed the Misty Woods, made my way to the entrance of Forlorn Ruins, and saved my game. I exited back out to the menu to copy my save file again and realized that the game hadn't saved my progress since the beginning of Misty Woods. I played through Misty Woods again, went to Forlorn Ruins, and made a save just inside the ruins. Once again, when I went back to the main menu neither of my existing save files had updated.

Is this a known bug? If so, is there a workaround? I really want to play through the rest of the game but I'm going to quit for now until I can figure out how to get the game to save properly.

Teggy

I've been playing a lot of Ori over the past few days and I'm really loving it. However, I've encountered a bug that may result in me just giving up on the game. As far as I can tell, the game is no longer saving my progress. The checkpoints work just fine, but if I exit out to the menu my progression is not saved.

Here's how it started.

I saved my game at the beginning of Misty Woods and then copied my save file since Misty Woods includes a collectible and some secret areas that can be missed. I completed the Misty Woods, made my way to the entrance of Forlorn Ruins, and saved my game. I exited back out to the menu to copy my save file again and realized that the game hadn't saved my progress since the beginning of Misty Woods. I played through Misty Woods again, went to Forlorn Ruins, and made a save just inside the ruins. Once again, when I went back to the main menu neither of my existing save files had updated.

Is this a known bug? If so, is there a workaround? I really want to play through the rest of the game but I'm going to quit for now until I can figure out how to get the game to save properly.

I don't know if it's known, but I had the exact same issue. In the end I just never quit out of the game and put my Xbox in rest mode when I took a break. When I finished the game the save was missing 7 hours of gameplay. It's a terrible bug and cost me about 8 hours of repeated playtime.

Thomas, we're what, almost a month post launch... how are y'all feeling? When do you think you guys can talk about the future of Ori?

Most of our Tech guys were still super busy on the patch and the design team is busy testing the current builds - There's a lot of good stuff happening there and the patch should be released very, very soon.

Apart from interviews, post mortems, etc., I'm also dabbling around with a few prototypes. There are 5 potential things we have in the oven right now (spanning from smaller to _huge_ projects) and I'd love to talk about these games, but as usual, we have to keep things secret for a while longer. We like a good secret as much as the next guy ;) Some other people just came back from their well-deserved vacations, so I think it's all good :)

We also started acquiring some new talent and I'm super excited to see them do work for us. I think a lot of people are really interested in our way of working, the 'virtual office' kinda thing, etc. - and I think a lot of people are just super hungry to work on passion projects instead of doing work on the, without trying to sound disrespectful, 'factory games'.

Business-wise, Ori was already profitable a week after release and Microsoft is super happy, so we'll see about Ori's future :)

@prophecy0: That save bug was difficult to reproduce (and it also only affected a super small minority of people for that reason...), but our tech guys found out about it and fixed it - will be all good when the next patch ships!

Deviousx

Most of our Tech guys were still super busy on the patch and the design team is busy testing the current builds - There's a lot of good stuff happening there and the patch should be released very, very soon.

Apart from interviews, post mortems, etc., I'm also dabbling around with a few prototypes. There are 5 potential things we have in the oven right now (spanning from smaller to _huge_ projects) and I'd love to talk about these games, but as usual, we have to keep things secret for a while longer. We like a good secret as much as the next guy ;) Some other people just came back from their well-deserved vacations, so I think it's all good :)

We also started acquiring some new talent and I'm super excited to see them do work for us. I think a lot of people are really interested in our way of working, the 'virtual office' kinda thing, etc. - and I think a lot of people are just super hungry to work on passion projects instead of doing work on the, without trying to sound disrespectful, 'factory games'.

Business-wise, Ori was already profitable a week after release and Microsoft is super happy, so we'll see about Ori's future :)

@prophecy0: That save bug was difficult to reproduce (and it also only affected a super small minority of people for that reason...), but our tech guys found out about it and fixed it - will be all good when the next patch ships!

giphy.gif

danowat

Banned
Wasn't really expecting much from this, I am usually skeptical about hyperbole about a game......

But it's a really nice game, just finished the Ginso tree, boy, that was a rush!.

Little disappointed with the little stutters in the game though, that does let it down somewhat, but it's a beautifully crafted game none the less.

Yoshi

I've got a question for you, Thomas, after reading about missable collectibles I've been a bit bummed out, because I am right before the final area and wanted to collect all missing items before going on, but now I don't feel like it anymore because I could potentially search for them in vain. This is something that happened to similar games before, thinking in particular of Metroid Prime's one time / limited time scans. I just wanted to ask what the rationale behind having limited or one-time opportunities for collecting something important in an exploration based game is.

Playing the game uninformed can then lead to a lot of frustration, because (1) you can potentially not end up with a complete collection (2) it's difficult to even know that you cannot get the remaining collectibles from the game itself, looking at Ori, I wouldn't possibly know if I have missed a missable item or if I am just too bad at searching for them. So I see a lot of potential for frustration, but I see no real benefit, so I'd just like to ask what, from a developer perspective, is the benefit of this.

Other than that I'd like to congratulate you on a great game :).

I've got a question for you, Thomas, after reading about missable collectibles I've been a bit bummed out, because I am right before the final area and wanted to collect all missing items before going on, but now I don't feel like it anymore because I could potentially search for them in vain. This is something that happened to similar games before, thinking in particular of Metroid Prime's one time / limited time scans. I just wanted to ask what the rationale behind having limited or one-time opportunities for collecting something important in an exploration based game is.

There were a few reasons for that... One, we had to make some tough design choices, take the Misty Woods as an example: The idea was that we give the player the feeling that he's lost in a forest that constantly changes around him. Now, after we designed the area, we knew there'd really be no proper way for the player to go back in and re-traverse the entire area, so we could have either not put any 'valuable' items in the area or assume that people are okay with playing through the game again.

Two, there are story-events happening in the game that sort of prevented us from having the player go back to a certain location... The Ginso Tree is flooded with water after Act1, so we dabbled with the idea of having the player being able to re-enter the now flooded Ginso Tree, but it also wasn't really designed for underwater gameplay and I always wanted to ensure that if a player has to re-traverse, the area should still contain enough interesting, new things for the player to discover... And we just didn't have the time to iterate over everything again after we wrapped the main designs.

Since a hell of a lot of people are still playing games like Super Metroid to this day, I thought it was an okay decision to make. I understand that a lot of people want to get absolutely everything on their first run, but Ori is designed in a similar way to Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, etc.: On your first run-through, it takes the average player 10-15 hours to complete the game. But when you're on your second run, you can probably cut that time down in half or even more, since you know exactly where to go. So really, I just didn't think it's that big of a deal if people have to play through it again, especially since it's super fun to play Ori :)

Having said that, we got a LOT of requests from players who want to be able to get absolutely 100% on their first run, so we might look into how we can accommodate you guys with future updates :)

Yoshi

For such areas you could just have a place where Ori can "remember his time" in a specific location, so for instance a sleeping spot where Ori was brought up, so that he can revisit the misty woods or the ginso tree "in a dream" and find the remaining stuff. I'm not sure if this would hurt your vision of what kind of feeling you wanted to convey with Ori, but this seems to be not too disruptive and you could potentially use this also to put timed challenges into the areas (how fast can you get through misty woods?) if you feel like it.

Anyway, thank you for your answer, it's nice to have some insight into the process that lead to some decisions :).

EDIT: Replaying Ori will be difficult, if my fiancée sees
Naru dying
again, she will probably get mad at me ;).

I hope you are going to treat yourself with the money you are making on it, very well deserved.

All the money we make goes right back into the studio - so if you wanna support us and our future projects, buy Ori and / or gift it to your friends! The more copies we sell, the higher the chance that we get to work on new projects :)

I'd actually be interested in talking about Ori's story - I have somewhat of an outline now of where I'd like to go with the IP in the future, if we'd get to work on another Ori-related project, but I'd be interested in hearing what you guys generally thought about it. I think we crafted a big world with memorable characters and there's a lot of potential for us to go in and keep working on that tale.

I've read both sides now - people that loved the story and people that really only cared for the gameplay and dismissed the story. But there was actually quite a lot of lore we created that didn't really make it into Blind Forest. I do really like that we kept the story focused on that triangle-relationship between Ori, Naru and Kuro. I love that our characters have quite a lot of depth and that even our antagonist isn't just out to take over the world, but has a good reason for her actions. But it'd be interesting to take it a step further and open up the world a bit more, to give people further insight into how Nibel works, the characters in it, etc.

What are your guys thoughts? Did you enjoy the story as much as the gameplay? I think in general, there are two camps: Those that really enjoy the tale behind it and those that really are just there for the gameplay and that's perfectly fine. But I'd looove for us and Microsoft to do a little bit more with the IP - Ultimatley, I think it'd be amazing if some movie studio would acquire the film rights and produce a film based on Ori. I think the story we crafted would suit itself really well for that medium as well...

Yoshi

By the way, how does the "no death" achivement work? Does the game automatically save whenever you die or can you reset? Because if it does not save automatically, isn't it just more "work" for reloading the last savestate instead of retrying right away? I think there is no benefit in continuing after a death other than not having to restart from the title screen, is there?

Omni

Played a bit of this game tonight. I'm actually rather enjoying it. First platformer I've played in years

I absolutely love the art, too.

By the way, how does the "no death" achivement work? Does the game automatically save whenever you die or can you reset? Because if it does not save automatically, isn't it just more "work" for reloading the last savestate instead of retrying right away? I think there is no benefit in continuing after a death other than not having to restart from the title screen, is there?

It triggers when you finish Ori without dying once - Yes, you can cheese it by dabbling around with save states, but really, your gaming-honor should forbid that! :D

Yoshi

Regarding the story question: I liked the story, it was simple but elegantly told. I would not want the story to take more time from the game, because I'm a gameplay-first kind of guy, but it was an emotional story without focussing on black / white cliché. So to conlude: I liked the story, but I played the game for its gameplay.

Exentryk

This make me happy. :)

What are your guys thoughts? Did you enjoy the story as much as the gameplay?

Even though I loved the short, simple and elegant story of Ori, I guess the future games could use a bit more story? I don't want to say a more complex story because I hate convoluted stories, but just more story content, more cutscenes... There could more areas in the forest that have some side stories; where you could meet another tribe of creatures/people that add to the story... etc.

For me, as long as the gameplay is good, I can play the game and enjoy it. But if the story is also interesting, it just takes the game to a 'memorable' level. But this game also had great music, art and atmosphere. A complete masterpiece.

So yeah, I hope the focus on both story and gameplay is maintained in your future titles. And if you do make another Ori game, I hope the main music theme stays intact :D

So great to hear the game was a financial success. Five projects? Wow. Don't go too crazy!

Definitely not. I always have some prototypes in the making at the same time and I had 3 of these going on while we were working on Ori. I work on them in my free-time and sometimes it's just nice to work on something else for a bit on the weekend, only to come back refreshed on Monday :)

There's always the scare of scaling up too quickly and adding too many people to the team, etc., we're absolutely aware of that. I think looking forward, we'll probably always have one main product and one sub-product in development and resources are switched based on the projects needs.

ArjanN

There were a few reasons for that... One, we had to make some tough design choices, take the Misty Woods as an example: The idea was that we give the player the feeling that he's lost in a forest that constantly changes around him. Now, after we designed the area, we knew there'd really be no proper way for the player to go back in and re-traverse the entire area, so we could have either not put any 'valuable' items in the area or assume that people are okay with playing through the game again.

Two, there are story-events happening in the game that sort of prevented us from having the player go back to a certain location... The Ginso Tree is flooded with water after Act1, so we dabbled with the idea of having the player being able to re-enter the now flooded Ginso Tree, but it also wasn't really designed for underwater gameplay and I always wanted to ensure that if a player has to re-traverse, the area should still contain enough interesting, new things for the player to discover... And we just didn't have the time to iterate over everything again after we wrapped the main designs.

Since a hell of a lot of people are still playing games like Super Metroid to this day, I thought it was an okay decision to make. I understand that a lot of people want to get absolutely everything on their first run, but Ori is designed in a similar way to Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, etc.: On your first run-through, it takes the average player 10-15 hours to complete the game. But when you're on your second run, you can probably cut that time down in half or even more, since you know exactly where to go. So really, I just didn't think it's that big of a deal if people have to play through it again, especially since it's super fun to play Ori :)

Having said that, we got a LOT of requests from players who want to be able to get absolutely 100% on their first run, so we might look into how we can accommodate you guys with future updates :)

I can see why it happens, but having collectables be missable really is pretty annoying.

Missable achievements just means you're constantly checking a guide if you don't want to miss anything.

It's true the game is very replayable, but when you're replaying this type of game you're generally just going critical path/speedrunning.

Good to hear the game did well though :)

For such areas you could just have a place where Ori can "remember his time" in a specific location, so for instance a sleeping spot where Ori was brought up, so that he can revisit the misty woods or the ginso tree "in a dream" and find the remaining stuff. I'm not sure if this would hurt your vision of what kind of feeling you wanted to convey with Ori, but this seems to be not too disruptive and you could potentially use this also to put timed challenges into the areas (how fast can you get through misty woods?) if you feel like it.

Anyway, thank you for your answer, it's nice to have some insight into the process that lead to some decisions :).

That's more or less how Wings of Vi does it. Wings of Vi is closer to a linear platformer with secrets, but you eventually get an item that lets you visit 'dream' versions of previously beaten levels, so you can get secrets/achievements you missed.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Definitely not. I always have some prototypes in the making at the same time and I had 3 of these going on while we were working on Ori. I work on them in my free-time and sometimes it's just nice to work on something else for a bit on the weekend, only to come back refreshed on Monday :)

There's always the scare of scaling up too quickly and adding too many people to the team, etc., we're absolutely aware of that. I think looking forward, we'll probably always have one main product and one sub-product in development and resources are switched based on the projects needs.

Sounds good. Does that mean a "sub-product" has been in development for a while? ;)

What are your guys thoughts? Did you enjoy the story as much as the gameplay? I think in general, there are two camps: Those that really enjoy the tale behind it and those that really are just there for the gameplay and that's perfectly fine. But I'd looove for us and Microsoft to do a little bit more with the IP - Ultimatley, I think it'd be amazing if some movie studio would acquire the film rights and produce a film based on Ori. I think the story we crafted would suit itself really well for that medium as well...

Get Disney or Pixar or something on the phone, I want an Ori animated film stat! Or a cartoon!

I liked the story a lot and the way it was told, it wasn't necessarily unique/original but like the rest of the game it was incredibly well done. There will always be people who aren't interested in the story so I wouldn't focus too much on them.

I hope you and MS do more together from a selfish point of view both Ori and not-Ori if you are happy with the relationship, it sounds like it worked well for Ori, at least. When I played Ori at a preview event in London last year I found it kind of fascinating how the MS guy (apologies for forgetting the name...) was talking about your studio and the structure and how well it worked.

Welfare

So on the map, there are Life Orbs, Blue Orbs, Abillity Orbs, and Yellow smudges. Are the yellow smudges needed for 100%?

Nevermind. Just checked.

If I have 100% in every location before I enter the Mountain, I'm good and won't have to worry about missing anything besides the stuff in the final area?

prophecy0

This is great news! The game definitely deserves the success.

Glad to hear it! I'll busy myself with some other games until the patch ships.

Top Bottom