• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps |OT| Obey The Owl

HotPocket69

Banned
I think it’s ok. It’s gorgeous and the soundtrack is as beautiful as always and I appreciate their more intense focus on combat.

However I feel like I’m playing the exact same game as the first. It looks the same, plays the same, and sounds the same. If you took a random screenshot from Blind and Will and told me to say which is which, Id fuck up. I wouldn’t be able to tell the soundtracks apart either.

I do like the inclusion of the little side characters with dialogue, the shops and shard systems and I’m glad the beginning is less of a tearjerker than the first (but still dark and a bit sad) but I dunno man. It’s just more Ori. If you liked the first, you’d like this.

Has the day one patch been released yet? Because my game has frozen for several seconds in the middle of a jump or whatever making me think it crashed. It’s only happened a few times, but it sucks.

Really hope Moon does something else completely different next. They’ve more than proved their talent. Come on guys, spread your fuckin wings.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's excellent, bros. Played about 2 hours, having a blast so far, can't wait to dive back in but I'm trying to spread out the fun since Doom's a solid 9 days away still.

I cannot believe I'm (legally) playing this for £1 on release day. It feels wrong.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oh, great, went to load my save and the game is crashing my entire X1X. Like, just turning it off when it tries to load. Apparently a known issue.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Thus far I'm really liking this, as I expected to. It does commit the metroidvania sequel sin that I hate the most - losing the powers you gained in the first game for no good reason and having to relearn/earn them. That's my only complaint.

Love it so far but yikes the performance suffers. Tons of slowdown in some areas on my X1X version. Not good for a game requiring very precise platform moves.

Still extremely impressed. I’m loving the amount of characters there are now and how they give you quests and have dialogue. There are some pretty substantial gameplay changes here for a sequel that looks so “samey”.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

I’m stuck, can someone help. Beginning spoilers.
I’m trying to get to Kwolok, guardian of the marsh, but I can’t access the door that looks like a mouth with a purple eye. I’ve tried returning everywhere to see if there’s something I missed but can’t see anything.

It’s near where the first ghost is. I haven’t beaten it, tried but it’s pretty hard. Is this required to progress, or a side mission time trial?

point decay

I’m stuck, can someone help. Beginning spoilers.
I’m trying to get to Kwolok, guardian of the marsh, but I can’t access the door that looks like a mouth with a purple eye. I’ve tried returning everywhere to see if there’s something I missed but can’t see anything.

It’s near where the first ghost is. I haven’t beaten it, tried but it’s pretty hard. Is this required to progress, or a side mission time trial?
got both eyestones?

Batiman

Banned
Just started the game. Is anyone else having input issues or it’s jumping? Sometimes it’s not registering jump at all. I really have to press A down pretty hard to get him to jump. A quick tap won’t do anything half the time.

PanzerAzel

got both eyestones?
No, it’s past that one. Found out I had to go underneath and shoot up into a slot with the bow and arrow.

A bit of a confusing design decision there as the environmental indicator for the mechanic has up to that point been blue, then all of a sudden it’s purple. Led to unnecessary frustration.

Thanks though.

Haven't played much of it yet, but this really is the perfect companion game to the shooters I usually play. Absolutely beautiful and an effective palate cleanser for the mind.

Dev1lXYZ

The performance is abysmal on XB1X. WTF were they thinking releasing it like this on a premier console? If this isn’t fixed I’m switching over to PC and not looking back. Edit: I’ll just go back and finish my play through of the first one.

Last edited:

JangoRain

It’s been freezing A LOT on One S so far. Hopefully it’s fixed soon. Otherwise it’s been super fun so far!

I like the game so far, but I’ll admit that
boss fight in the beginning frustrated me and kind of soured me a little. Since then the game has been pretty good though.

Also... even though the art style is beautiful, why does everything look so blurry, even in 4k?

took me a few tries as well. What got me was the contact with his paw. The swing motion would make me hit his paw if I got too close. So I resorted to jumping and swinging.

PanzerAzel

The performance is abysmal on XB1X. WTF were they thinking releasing it like this on a premier console? If this isn’t fixed I’m switching over to PC and not looking back. Edit: I’ll just go back and finish my play through of the first one.
Yeah, been hearing about a lot of problems on the console. PC runs beautifully for me, only trouble I've encountered so far have been a few bugs (acheivements repeating, weapon glitches). Otherwise smooth sailing thankfully with a great framerate.

Arozay

I had a lot of audio issues on the PC version (XBL) , it would only play half the sounds and I'd have to restart to fix it.

Beat the game on hard in like 9 hours. Felt the difficulty on two of the bosses only because of not being able to heal on them. I preferred the checkpoint system in the first game over the auto saves. But overall I think I like how fluid this one plays.

Dev1lXYZ

Yeah, been hearing about a lot of problems on the console. PC runs beautifully for me, only trouble I've encountered so far have been a few bugs (acheivements repeating, weapon glitches). Otherwise smooth sailing thankfully with a great framerate.

I did a system restart which significantly helped the game’s frame rate. The whole reason I installed it on the X first is that the PC lacks HDR at the moment.

Shakka43

Played a couple of hours and as I expected I'm really enjoying it. The sword combat feels much better than the spirit ball from OatBF and I like that there are also some more long ranged attacks than before.

jaysius

Banned
I'm on the Xbox One OLD(and forgotten by everyone, THANKS MS), I've had awful slow down in parts, I've had slowdown which triggered a memory leak because it started to slow down everything. I've had it crash 2-3 times. My experience with the 1st one when it got to gamepass(was the "ultimate edition" or something) was the same shitty performance issues and crashing(crashed after I did the no-fail run from the last boss even!). I don't see how this got perfect scores from outlets, they probably played in on PC. On Xbox One OLD AF this is a huge shitshow dumpster fire of a mess. Also I'm playing with the day 1 patch. The previous lack of polish from the first game, even after all their iterations doesn't give me much hope they'll ever bother to optimize/fix half the shit wrong with this PERFECT 10/10 game.

A 2D game with bad performance shipping in this state in 2020 is unacceptable. But this only furthers my theory that a "straight to gamepass" game is of a certain quality ie. no extensive Q&A nor testing, runs like shit.

Having said all those things, I want to love the game, the combat is very basic, forcing a puzzle solving tool to be a finite supplied weapon was a bad idea too(sure they provide fill ups when that's the case, but if that's the case then change the mechanic, I dunno make the tool/weapon not hurt enemies or something). There are a few awful mechanics I've noticed here or there.

Triple Jump is as impotent as a wet fart in a pool what a huge let down that purchase was, sticking to walls should be just a basic thing, not something you need to equip, most of the Shards are pretty useless. I've found the dive bomb move almost essential and super easy to cheese/win combat shrines with(it's broken).

Last edited:

AV

Is it just me, or is this thread unusually slow for such a recent release? Is no one playing?

Or everyone's busy playing. To be honest, there's not a great deal to discuss about it, it's just good.

Well, it was until it started crashing my system.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm kind of shocked at how much I'm really loving this game so far, I think the most positive reaction to any platformer other than the first Ori was, I didn't absolutely hate it. I liked the first Ori, but not as much as this one.

It makes me sad I suck so bad at them because I'm only halfway through the 2nd area, playing on easy and the platforming is still way hard for me. I have a sinking feeling I won't be able to finish this one either end that's really depressing.

Surprisingly I find the platforming quite clever and I think it would actually be really fun if I wasn't so terrible at it. I am enjoying the combat a lot more than in the 1st Ori, at least I'm able to do that without any problem, especially since I'm playing on easy.

Roberts

It's an amazing game. Funny that for a game with a tiny, rabbit-like, glowing protognist it is probably the most immersive game I have played in a looooong time. I got so much into it that I totally lost the track of time.

I really liked the first one and it was my gateway to metroidvania games (ignored them before for no apparent reason), but this is something else. Controls are perfect, puzzles and platforming challenging, but isn't too punishing and I have no slowdowns or framerate issues on X. Chef's kiss!

Flick

Banned
I think it’s ok. It’s gorgeous and the soundtrack is as beautiful as always and I appreciate their more intense focus on combat.

However I feel like I’m playing the exact same game as the first. It looks the same, plays the same, and sounds the same. If you took a random screenshot from Blind and Will and told me to say which is which, Id fuck up. I wouldn’t be able to tell the soundtracks apart either.

I do like the inclusion of the little side characters with dialogue, the shops and shard systems and I’m glad the beginning is less of a tearjerker than the first (but still dark and a bit sad) but I dunno man. It’s just more Ori. If you liked the first, you’d like this.

Has the day one patch been released yet? Because my game has frozen for several seconds in the middle of a jump or whatever making me think it crashed. It’s only happened a few times, but it sucks.

Really hope Moon does something else completely different next. They’ve more than proved their talent. Come on guys, spread your fuckin wings.

LOl, first you are saying its exactly the same and then you list a lot of new things, that haven been there before xD wtf the only same things are some characters and that you can jump xD everything else is completely new. A LOT of new things, not sure what you are talking about. There are much more many different things than, lets say New Super Mario Bros. compared to New Super Mario Bros. Wii U/Switch,.

ZiriusOne

So, i'm playing the game over Xbox Game Pass on PC but i can't downsample the game to 4k. I can select lower resolutions than 1080p but the game doesn't let me select any higher resolution even though they show in the game. Someone got an idea?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So, i'm playing the game over Xbox Game Pass on PC but i can't downsample the game to 4k. I can select lower resolutions than 1080p but the game doesn't let me select any higher resolution even though they show in the game. Someone got an idea?
I'm playing on Game Pass PC as well using Nvidia GPU. You'll need to set your desktop resolution to equal or higher than your target game resolution for it to work correctly. I used "Capture at in-game resolution" video and a screenshot to check resolution it was using at 4K, 1440p, and 1080p, and it works correctly.
---
Side note for anybody having a problem with audio buzzing/freezing on PC: You'll want to make sure you have the game installed on a SSD. I initially had it on my secondary 3TB HDD and it was giving me that issue. Switched it to my primary 1TB SSD and it's fine now.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
LOl, first you are saying its exactly the same and then you list a lot of new things, that haven been there before xD wtf the only same things are some characters and that you can jump xD everything else is completely new. A LOT of new things, not sure what you are talking about. There are much more many different things than, lets say New Super Mario Bros. compared to New Super Mario Bros. Wii U/Switch,.

Not to me. Same outfit. New boots. Have fun though.

Last edited:

Banned
I played 2h of it so far and really like it. played it on both PC and One X, and i gotta say, the performance issues on One X are annoying, I think I will finish it on PC (all hail cross saves!)

but what would you expect from a game running on Unity Engine? wouldn't be Unity if it didn't have performance issues on Console... god that engine is such a joke.

I played 2h of it so far and really like it. played it on both PC and One X, and i gotta say, the performance issues on One X are annoying, I think I will finish it on PC (all hail cross saves!)

but what would you expect from a game running on Unity Engine? wouldn't be Unity if it didn't have performance issues on Console... god that engine is such a joke.
Seriously. Wtf are you guys taking about? Haven't noticed any performance issue at all. My only complaint was that the map has a bit of delay when activating.

Banned
Seriously. Wtf are you guys taking about? Haven't noticed any performance issue at all. My only complaint was that the map has a bit of delay when activating.

there are multiple areas that have massive framerate issues when too much is happening and there are loading stutters if you move too fast in some spots.

I wouldn't expect anything else from Unity as I said... never played a game that didn't have technical issues on that Engine, aside from very, VEEERRYY simple 2d games

Vawn

Banned
I got my copy. I was originally going to wait for Switch, but I want to play it. I'll likely double dip.

I have to go to a wedding in St. Louis this weekend, so I won't be starting until Tuesday. Looking forward to it.

Shakka43

I'm finding the game quite easier than the first one, the platforming feels tighter here which no doubt helps, and the chasing scenes so far are much more manageable than the ones in Ori 1.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Got my collectors edition today. Really slick and well put together packaging. Time to start playing now.

-Troid-

Banned
Damn this has problems on Xbox. Played 3-4 hours now and just finished the Windmill dungeon, but it was real tough. That whole area was causing the game to freeze up every five minutes and it made the game crash. I know I'm playing on a One S but damn an exclusive of this calibur shouldn't be running like this.

For those on Xbox do you have it installed on an external HDD or the Internal? I'm on External and now I'm wondering if it's one of those situations where it gets fucky trying to read it off an external source.

Whatever the case this needs a performance patch ASAP because now I'm contemplating shelving it until it gets one, despite really like it so far and not wanting to stop playing.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I installed the game pass version. Yesterday I had to boot the game twice because the first time it wouldn’t load the title screen. Played for two mins but didn’t have any real time to dive in at that moment. Today I can’t get to the title screen after five tries. The first splash screen shows, then a black screen with Ori running. He runs slower and slower until my Xbox fully turns off on its own. Then it unsyncs my controller also so I have to get up to power it on.

Tested a bunch of other games and they all work fine. Maybe I’ll try installing my disc version instead of game pass? Game seems buggy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom