• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori Developer's Culture Reportedly 'Oppressive,' No Longer Working With Xbox (ign)

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
It saddens me to hear when this happens to development teams. The Ori games are beautiful and amazingly crafted.

Treating employees with respect and care often creates a lifetime of loyalty. My time working with Forthright Entertainment was great- The CEO Ryan Waller is one of nicest guys I've ever known and always treats the development team like family. If it wasn't for my own decline with physical health and social anxiety, I would have loved working for him for the foreseeable future.

Hohenheim

Aren't these guys working on a action rpg? That should be very interesting! The Ori games are brilliant, but would like to see them take a different approach.

How is this news? Perfectionist founders are often abusive to their employees. Look at Steve Jobs. The original Macintosh team was famous for having t-shirts that said '90 hours a week'.

Hell, NASA was famous for causing engineers to drop dead at 45 from 'crunch'. They made it famous in the 1960s with the Apollo program. Any elite projects are going to have 'crunch'. Japan has a word for it - karoshi. "Death from overwork". That's what you sign up for to have 'Moon Studios' on your CV.
Note how all your examples are decades removed from present times.

Employers these days can't murder their employees like they used to. Well, in some countries they still can, and in all the others they can (if the employer doesn't quit first) it's just frowned upon and you'll get a bad rap if your company gets outed as being a company ran by Psychopaths/Sociopaths. That's basically all that happens.

But it's still better than nothing.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucG9kY2hhc2VyLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvbWlzc2luZy1pbWFnZS5wbmc%3D

*heavy breathing*
You should read his book i heard it was great

I wouldn't be surprised if all the classic videogames were created with crunch.
And now we have indie games, they are very personal projects.

Don't get me wrong I have no fucking passion for my job and couldn't give a shit what happens to my employer. It's 9-5 lifestyle for me and you're paying me for every single minute. Send me a WhatsApp at night and I'm not responding. But with that attitude you rarely produce art.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
How is this news? Perfectionist founders are often abusive to their employees. Look at Steve Jobs. The original Macintosh team was famous for having t-shirts that said '90 hours a week'.

Hell, NASA was famous for causing engineers to drop dead at 45 from 'crunch'. They made it famous in the 1960s with the Apollo program. Any elite projects are going to have 'crunch'. Japan has a word for it - karoshi. "Death from overwork". That's what you sign up for to have 'Moon Studios' on your CV.
confused-white-persian-guardian.gif

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Note how all your examples are decades removed from present times.

Employers these days can't murder their employees like they used to. Well, in some countries they still can, and in all the others they can (if the employer doesn't quit first) it's just frowned upon and you'll get a bad rap if your company gets outed as being a company ran by Psychopaths/Sociopaths. That's basically all that happens.

But it's still better than nothing.
I can being a modern example.

Naughty dog is known for it.

Topher

Gold Member
I can being a modern example.

Naughty dog is known for it.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the source of that, J. Cooper. Cooper blatantly lied about a coworker having to be taken to the hospital due to working conditions. The coworker quickly refuted that claim and admonished him for using her personal health problem (it was a heavy period) to make false statements. Cooper deleted the tweets afterwards.

Not saying crunch doesn't happen at Naught Dog, but that is a suspect source.

Tams

Gold Member

How the hell does that make it acceptable?

And 'karoshi' makes the news every time it happens. And not in a good 'look how noble there were for working so hard' way, even in Japan. Thankfully, it's become a lot less common recently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom