• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori profitable after one week. Moon Studios working on new projects.

I wonder if microsoft will buy Moon Studios. That's if they have any interest in not being independent. MS does own the Ori IP at least so I think it's safe to say we will see more of it on the xbox and pc.

W.S.

I wonder if microsoft will buy Moon Studios. That's if they have any interest in not being independent. MS does own the Ori IP at least so I think it's safe to say we will see more of it on the xbox and pc.

I don't see a benefit to this on either side given how the studio is set up, the way they did Ori works out pretty good although I'm sure Moon Studios would also like to own some of their IP's as well.

pixelation

Going by the opening post in this thread, i don't think that they'd accept being bought by MS or anyone else... but maybe i'm reading a bit too much into it.

Why are some people so sure that their next title will be an xbox game and not multiplatform (PS4/Wii/etc)? I am legitimately curious about this...I have a PS4 and X1 but just wondering why some people are believing this.

Rembrandt

Banned
Why are some people so sure that their next title will be an xbox game and not multiplatform (PS4/Wii/etc)? I am legitimately curious about this...I have a PS4 and X1 but just wondering why some people are believing this.

Because they're a small indie company, Microsoft helped fund this game (I think) and it was a success, so Microsoft will probably get rights to their next game. I could see it being a timed exclusive or I could see it being PC/XB1 again, but I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if it was just the latter.

Because they're a small indie company, Microsoft helped fund this game (I think) and it was a success, so Microsoft will probably get rights to their next game. I could see it being a timed exclusive or I could see it being PC/XB1 again, but I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if it was just the latter.

If the next title should be exclusive, this would already need quite a huge moneyhat. Ori was successful and the studio suddenly is hot and in a good position to negotiate.

If they take Ori as reference, you could imagine that it would at least have sold the same amount on Playstation on top if multiplat. Appeal to european and asian audience should be very strong, and these are the markets where xbox is not so prominent.
It would be really interesting to see how the split between console and PC was here.

Rembrandt

Banned
If the next title should be exclusive, this would already need quite a huge moneyhat. Ori was successful and the studio suddenly is hot and in a good position to negotiate.

If they take Ori as reference, you could imagine that it would at least have sold the same amount on Playstation on top if multiplat. Appeal to european and asian audience should be very strong, and these are the markets where xbox is not so prominent.
It would be really interesting to see how the split between console and PC was here.

Why would they need a huge moneyhat if the partnership is working well for both of them? Does Quantic Dream need huge moneyhats for sticking to Sony platforms? They would make a lot more money releasing on XB1 and PC.

Seems like Microsoft supports their titles well, makes sure they get and stay well promoted, etc. It helps them avoid being drowned out in a sea of indie titles. Your argument about loss of potential sales holds true for any game that only sticks to one/two platforms.

Qassim

Just bought this today, it's really beautifully presented game and I'm having fun playing it - so it seems well deserved.

Obscured

That is great to see. I feel like last year there was a lot of bad news even when a good game came out. I don't know much about their process, but just from that little blurb it sounds more like how I would want the industry to work.

I've only gotten a little bit into Ori (I'm savoring it so taking it slow), but I kind of want their next game to be something different. They've done such a great job with evoking a feeling, telling a story (while not spelling everything out) and creating such a cool visual style that I want to see what else that talent can produce (that isn't even getting into the high quality of the gameplay or soundtrack). They seem to have nailed the core of both what aspects build a great game and how they want to go about creating those games. I'll closely follow whatever they come out with next.

If I remember correctly Thomas mentioned on the Maniac forums that sales were even between the platforms. That was weeks ago so that might have changed.

I hope the negotiations with Microsoft regarding future projects went well.

Circinus

Congratulations to Moon Studios and Microsoft Studios!

I haven't played the game yet, but it certainly looks absolutely stunning from the trailers/gameplay footage I've seen!

Since it isn't on PS Vita (I know it's MS Studios published, but I made a habit of playing sidescrolling / platforming games on PS Vita), I'll have to pick it up down the road on when it's discounted on Steam. :)

140K sales on Steam certainly sounds pretty good in terms of commercial performance. Especially since as far as I know, well-received games on Steam usually have decent long-term sales with the the amount of sales/discounts continuously highlighting a variety of games.

Good to see people are still willing to buy newly released games on Steam. I was always a bit wondering if sales and steep discounts pretty short after release had conditioned people - or were starting to condition people - to wait to buy games until they're on sale. (to be honest for me it's kind of like that)

Why would they need a huge moneyhat if the partnership is working well for both of them? Does Quantic Dream need huge moneyhats for sticking to Sony platforms? They would make a lot more money releasing on XB1 and PC.
Maybe they are moneyhatted. I don't know but I can imagine that they at least get a really nice recoupable advance.
Seems like Microsoft supports their titles well, makes sure they get and stay well promoted, etc. It helps them avoid being drowned out in a sea of indie titles. Your argument about loss of potential sales holds true for any game that only sticks to one/two platforms.
Absolutely. Without huge success before, having a console as partner for financing and marketing is lessening the risc. When you gain reputation, you might want to expand your audience. With Ori, this was win-win. I am not sure if this is still the case with their next project (from the creators of Ori). For MS, this would be prestigious, an artistic gem that the Xbox brand is always lacking. For Mr. Mahler's company I am not so sure.
You might remember the heart-warming story of this little indie project with huge robots where you can crawl into to blow shit up that was nearly broke and canceled, but MS stepped in and saved the day. And what do they do? they go multiplat for the next episode!
It's always difficult when kids grow up. One day these unthankful brats think they can do it all on their own.

Circinus

Maybe they are moneyhatted. I don't know but I can imagine that they at least get a really nice recoupable advance.

It's a Microsoft Studios-published game. It is moneyhatted in the way that they get funds from MS Studios to develop the game, with MS Studios taking care of the distribution and promotion. That's how the publishing model works between independent developers and publishers.

It isn't any different for games like Ratchet & Clank that are developed by Insomniac and published by SCE. The publisher is essentially making the financial investment and usually taking care of the production management (allocating the budget and development cycle), distribution and marketing.

Plenty of other examples of course, like Sunset Overdrive, The Wonderful 101, The Order 1886, Just Cause series, Titanfall, Bloodborne, Ryse: Son of Rome, Life is Strange, Remember Me etc.

We can't really say it's a moneyhat, because without the publisher providing the funds for it, the game might not have been developed in the first place.

Please release NEXT title for PS4.

If both Moon Studios and MS Studios are happy with their past partnership and the past title is a commercial success, then I think it's likely that they'll sign again with each other for their next game. Especially if it's a sequel to Ori.

It's a Microsoft Studios-published game. It is moneyhatted in the way that they get funds from MS Studios to develop the game, with MS Studios taking care of the distribution and promotion. That's how the publishing model works between independent developers and publishers.
Thanks. But my reply was to Rembrandt's question:
Does Quantic Dream need huge moneyhats for sticking to Sony platforms? They would make a lot more money releasing on XB1 and PC.
I heard about how this works and the moneyhat-discussion sometimes is annoying. All I wanted to say is: Ori was a success. The next game would (and should) be negotiated with far better conditions for the studio than Ori if MS wants to keep it exclusive. Wouldn't this be only fair? Call it partnership, moneyhat or love, but it's about the delta of not-realised sales in comparisition to a multiplat-appearance in the end.

The dev has been quite active in the OT; giving quite a bit of insight. Congrats on the much deserved success Moon studios!

klaus

Great to hear, love the game!

Was quite impressed when I saw the Unity logo in the credits - Ori looks simply stunning :)

Top Bottom