• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Bioshock Intro Recreated in Cryengine 3

flkraven

https://vimeo.com/123814418

Incredible work. I remember how good Bioshock looked when it first came out but this is some next-level shit. I am sort of conflicted if I would want to see it remade in a new engine. Certain aspects I really enjoy like the upgraded textures and lighting. However, I do feel some parts lose the general aesthetic I've come to love in the Bioshock series. What do you think?

Novocaine

Subbing so I remember to watch it when I get home.

Even without a HD remaster BioShock still looks pretty damn good for it's age. I wouldn't say no to a remaster though.

Well, half the intro... I consider the intro over once you leave the bathysphere. Shame about the camera work. It looks very faithful.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This brings back so much nostalgia. Goddamn. I would love a proper Bioshock remaster and upressed Infinite on current gen, even though I plan to finish Infinite again on PC.

Xyber

Recorded at 24fps for that extra cinematic feel.

Looks nice, but come on. At least be able to run it at 30fps..

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Looks good, could look better. Or at least would look better with all of the neon and underwater lighting and all of the materials. Especially with PBR, would look amazing.

I'm super unimpressed. The lighting is really suit especially outside. The interior models are pretty meh.

If you told me he ported the existing game to cryengine3 and added some default textures I'd belive you.

I'm in the no to the remaster camp. PC version is great looking still.

Ocaso

Maybe on the water. Bioshock's water looked great. Take a look at the ground and door textures and the lighting. It's definitely a pretty big upgrade.

EDIT: Found an original one, although I don't know if it's PC or not https://vimeo.com/85929070

Quantitatively big, perhaps, in terms of texture resolution or lighting accuracy. Qualitatively? Not so much. Definitely better, of course, but not to the point where I think redoing the entire game would be worthwhile.

KevinG

My favorite game of all time. Only ever played through on 360 (many times).

I'd take a version in this engine.

synce

I'd really have to watch it side by side to notice a difference. Would like to see something like for a game that deserves it like FF6

Seanspeed

Banned
Your character:

llscCqN.jpg

PC games that already look amazing at ultra settings don't need to be remastered at all. would be nice to have a port of the game to PS4/Xbone though

Kinyou

Did they rebuilt all the assets or did they somehow import them? The latter would explain why it doesn't look all that much better than the original.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I agree with the people saying the chromatic aberration looks like doodoo

Also regarding remasters in general.
Imagine if consoles could run old games in higher resolutions, like, now that the PS4 and Xbone are x86 PC's using custom software, is there any reason that would make it impossible going forward? PC's been doing it for ages and then remasters wouldn't be a thing since the new console could run the old games with higher resolutions and AA.

Chabbles

Recorded at 24fps for that extra cinematic feel.

Looks nice, but come on. At least be able to run it at 30fps..

And considering how easy this game is to max out on pc these days and how little a visual jump this recreation is.(i played maxed on a midrange lappy a year or 2 ago with 100+ fps, which had to be limited to 60fps because of flickering light sources when the framerate got too high)

johntown

Banned
I would be happy if 2k released mod tools for the game so people could mod it and add their own textures.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Chromatic aberration, bad framerate, and tons of motion blur.

Definitely looks like a current-gen game!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This is one game that needs a HD remaster

Um, the original game was in "HD".

It would require a complete remake for it to make any difference. Unless you mean a port, in which case...it would just be a PC port on the cheap.

Top Bottom