• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original plan for Assassin's Creed series was for it all to end on a spaceship

LordOfChaos

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...d-series-was-for-it-all-to-end-on-a-spaceship

I remember when the first Assassins Creed came out. I was in high school and crushing HARD on Jade Raymond (and hey she can still get it). I remember them saying there was a single cohesive ending in mind...

...And then it just kept going and going and going.

Makes me wonder about narrative based franchises that get into the rhythm of ongoing games. I get it...I mean I like games...I like playing them, so giving me something I like just makes financial sense. But like, will Master Chief for example ever see an end that would have been as fitting as Halo 3, an icon of hope forever floating up there? Will they ever circle back around to the core of the game universe, the second judgement of the Precursors being the ultimate endgame? Will they ever get there or keep adding side stories?

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I remember 2012, Assassin's Creed 3 was supposed to be the end of the story and we would have all the answers, the hype was real. While the cinematic of Desmond becoming the new "Jesus" for a new humanity or sacrificing his life for the current humanity was kinda cool, they destroyed all the hype for the present day story. To this day they keep trying to make the present day story interesting and they keep making trash after trash, they just murdered the new protagonist again because she was lame as F and for some reason they thought we want to play with lame ass Basim. Just reboot the whole thing tbh.

MaKTaiL

I remember 2012, Assassin's Creed 3 was supposed to be the end of the story and we would have all the answers, the hype was real. While the cinematic of Desmond becoming the new "Jesus" for a new humanity or sacrificing his life for the current humanity was kinda cool, they destroyed all the hype for the present day story. To this day they keep trying to make the present day story interesting and they keep making trash after trash, they just murdered the new protagonist again because she was lame as F and for some reason they thought we want to play with lame ass Basim. Just reboot the whole thing tbh.
Valhalla actually explained what happened to Desmond and how he managed to save the world at the time. It's pretty cool actually.

MaKTaiL

I know, to me it was an excuse for some nostalgia. No we have a multiverse... yay more excuses for more games without an ending.
You completely misunderstood the ending, lol. I adivse you to watch it again. There is no multiverse whatsoever.

Ezquimacore

Banned
You completely misunderstood the ending, lol. I adivse you to watch it again. There is no multiverse whatsoever.
The multiverse is set to allow for infinite possibilities; but, there are certain determined moments that will always happen (fixed points, constants, etc.). The AC term for this is a “node.”

Desmond activated the Eye, a piece of Isu tech that was able to delay the catastrophe, not stop it. Minerva uses a lot of explanation about the “calculations,” which Darby confirmed was parallel universes.

The Staff of Hermes is capable of altering the laws of reality that underpin our existence. We see it is altering our reality; but, the Isu would see it as adjusting the “code” of existence because they have a more advanced perception of time.

Layla’s Animus is “different” and has the opportunity to change things. On its own, not so much; but, with the Staff...

Layla is able to use the Staff and her Animus to now see the multiple “possible” realities that could have been. Eivor is both genders because both were extant in different realities. Eivor can have different dialog because all things happened differently in different realities.

Doom85

someone years GIF

Back when playing the first AC, did anyone else expect the story to end with a game set in today’s time where you exclusively played as Desmond? I remember thinking that was the logical conclusion to the storyline, Desmond turning into a badass assassin because all the virtual training he received in the animus, killing modern day templars in NYC or somewhere. Definitely didn’t see Desmond turning into new, weird Jesus or whatever the fuck that was.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The multiverse is set to allow for infinite possibilities; but, there are certain determined moments that will always happen (fixed points, constants, etc.). The AC term for this is a “node.”
Uhh there's no multiverse in AC.
The "nodes" you are talking about are just convergences in the supercomputer, and the other" timelines are just simulation run by the supercomputer to see if they could reach another outcome.
Eivor is both genders because both were extant in different realities. Eivor can have different dialog because all things happened differently in different realities.
No eivor is both genders because she was the Odin Isu, who uploaded his dna in an effort to become reincarnated, eivor is an imperfect copy of odin.

stranno

Weird to see Patrice Desilets doing that. He was into the time travel thing, but spacecrafts..

Last edited:

Boss Man

I literally can not play these games because of the retarded illuminati matrix shit that constantly reminds you that you’re not really in ancient egypt. It feels like one bad writer is purposefully ruining the entire video game franchise.

Me: Wow, look at how much detail they’ve packed into this recreation of renaissance era Rome! This is amazing, I’m going to stalk and kill Michelangelo while he’s painting the Sistine Chapel…

Game: Dr. Reddit Pseudoscience has discovered a new multiverse quantum mechanics blockchain portal to track the Knight’s Templar. Press Triangle to exit the assassin simulation and return to Vancouver.

Why do they feel the need to do this?

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Game: Dr. Reddit Pseudoscience has discovered a new multiverse quantum mechanics portal to track the Knight’s Templar. Press Triangle to exit the assassin simulation and return to Vancouver.
Exiting the simulation only happens frequently in the desmond games, they are very rare in games starting from AC syndicate, in fact AC Unity has zero outside the animus stuff, I think both Odyssey and Valhalla only have 3 moments outside the animus.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

Desmond activated the Eye, a piece of Isu tech that was able to delay the catastrophe, not stop it. Minerva uses a lot of explanation about the “calculations,” which Darby confirmed was parallel universes.

The Staff of Hermes is capable of altering the laws of reality that underpin our existence. We see it is altering our reality; but, the Isu would see it as adjusting the “code” of existence because they have a more advanced perception of time.

Layla’s Animus is “different” and has the opportunity to change things. On its own, not so much; but, with the Staff...

Layla is able to use the Staff and her Animus to now see the multiple “possible” realities that could have been. Eivor is both genders because both were extant in different realities. Eivor can have different dialog because all things happened differently in different realities.
That is in Valhalla? That sounds awesome. Buying it next sale

Larxia

Unlike most people, I used to love the whole modern settings in the early AC games with desmond.

It was super interesting if you took the time to research some stuff, it would be a bit too hard to explain in a short text here, but basically it gave me a very special feeling like, like if everything it was telling you about was actually real and if you were actually discovering mysteries about our life / world, probably because of how everything comes from myths / theories that existed in real life too. It may sound dumb, but I think it was very well made / interesting, and no other games gave me a feeling like this for this type of thing.
I remember being so hyped by the few frames you could unlock every now and then of that footage with adam and eve in AC 2.

Everything was also taking place during the whole "2012 is coming soon" context, so it felt like a real time event, this would be different today maybe though not that important. I remember reading, from nearly the beginning, about the series being made as a trilogy with the 3rd game being set in modern time with everything you learned in the previous games leading to that climax. Would have loved to see that.

I was super sad with how AC 3 ended, they basically killed everything they prepared for during all this time, just to get rid of Desmond and having the series new comers friendly, with no previous knowledge needed, sells better. But even while getting rid of that, they still felt the need to use modern day settings, only to make it insanely boring and 100 times worse than before... I will never understand this.

The original cool concept died when Patrice Desilet left.
I mean don't get mean wrong, I enjoyed plenty of episodes after that, but none of them had this particular "real life is sci fi, this is more than a game" aura that the first episodes had.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Eurogamer is pathetic n assassin's creed modern storylines are beyond pathetic. Ofcourse they botched Assassin's Creed 3. Most anticlimactic dumb ending ever.

AC has great stories and just get butchered with that stupid ass scifi shit. I think the setting, theme and many of the stories in those time periods are good enough, we don't need any of that dumbass modern setting animus shit.

When they started doing the big open world RPGlite ones, I thought they'd do away with that animus crap. Origins has a solid story about grieving parents looking for revenge, animus adds NOTHING to that story and I literally tried several times to skip those as I just don't give a shit about anything going on with animus and haven't even kept up with the games to care.

Zephir

After AC3, the modern sorry simply became a mess and what's worse, all the loose ends from the third game were tied up in the comics, so the people who only check the games missed a lot of stuff.
I had to check the wiki to learn that Juno (kinda the big bad at the time) was killed by Desmond adopted son or something like that

UnNamed

Banned
I need a recap, because after Assassin's Creed 2 I don't know if the new episodes are a sequel or a reboot or else.

skit_data

I’m seriously surprised there even was a plan, the AC main story with Desmond feels like the definition of them making it up as they went along only to lose it completely somewhere between Brotherhood and Revelations, never to find its way back again.

Fbh

So the silly end of the world in 2012 was part of the plan since the beginning? It always felt like something they made up at the last moment.
Still, I remember really being into the plot for the first 2 game. I remember doing all the puzzles to get "the truth" video in AC2

Speculating about it all with friends and online was fun.
Really lost interest in it all after 3 though, and at this point I think having to shoehorn in the Assassins Creed franchise into the newer games is one of the their biggest issues (after the Bloat). Would have much preferred to get some cool standalone Egyptian, Greek and Viking RPG''s

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
AssCreed 1 set up some cool ideas and AC2/Brotherhood really knocked it out of the park and made some exciting progress on the idea.

And then AC3 aborted something out I guess to give it some "closure" but man, if it wasn't underwhelming.

They really should just drop the AC storylines all together and embrace the Abstergo element and go freaking wild with it.

I don't play AC games for its overarching storyline, because it's mostly garbage, I play it kinda like a digital vacation to check out different eras and places I'd not know much about otherwise.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I remember thinking Halo 3 was the end. Than Halo 4 was the end. Than I thought Halo 5 was the end. I think the historical stories are bombs for Ubisoft and they’ll continue making those.

Tschumi

I fucking love that. I can totally see how that would have played out. Now we just have Far Cry: Parkour or Yore

Ladioss

It fits with Assassin's Creed early days when the SF/divine part of the series setting felt like a mishmash of 70s/80s new-age occultism and 90s conspiracy theories. Ancient Astronauts, the game.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Uhh there's no multiverse in AC.
The "nodes" you are talking about are just convergences in the supercomputer, and the other" timelines are just simulation run by the supercomputer to see if they could reach another outcome.

No eivor is both genders because she was the Odin Isu, who uploaded his dna in an effort to become reincarnated, eivor is an imperfect copy of odin.
Exactly!

I stopped giving a shit after Desmond's story arc wrapped up at the end of 3. The problem with 3 was I gave no shits about the lifeless protagonist at all. I liked parts of Black Flag because I love Pirate shit, but the whole "working at Ubisoft as a game developer making the game you're currently playing" was straight up retarded. I played Unity but by the end of it I really just felt burned out of the entire series as it felt like it was really headed nowhere.

Maybe the more recent games are better, but at this point I don't think I want to get invested in this franchise anymore.

Last edited:

What the fuck did I just read? I'm so glad I stopped playing after 3.

kyussman

Can't wait to see what live service crocks of shit they turn Assassin's Creed and Far Cry into now given they have finally decided to stop pretending they give a single fuck about traditional story based games with a beginning ,middle and end.....I'm pretty sure I won't be spending a single penny on Ubisoft games this gen.....and I have spent a lot in the past.

OZ9000

Banned
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...d-series-was-for-it-all-to-end-on-a-spaceship

I remember when the first Assassins Creed came out. I was in high school and crushing HARD on Jade Raymond (and hey she can still get it). I remember them saying there was a single cohesive ending in mind...

...And then it just kept going and going and going.

Makes me wonder about narrative based franchises that get into the rhythm of ongoing games. I get it...I mean I like games...I like playing them, so giving me something I like just makes financial sense. But like, will Master Chief for example ever see an end that would have been as fitting as Halo 3, an icon of hope forever floating up there? Will they ever circle back around to the core of the game universe, the second judgement of the Precursors being the ultimate endgame? Will they ever get there or keep adding side stories?
I still am...

Why a spaceship? Fans have long pondered if the Isu, the series' mysterious precursor race, were actually extra-terrestrials. Perhaps the Isu bunker where Desmond saved the world was originally envisioned as a secret spacecraft?
This has long been my assumption, that the First Civilization are aliens who came to Earth to set up colonies.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Layla no longer has the staff….

LordOfChaos

Man I don't even know what any of yall are talking about lol I think I gave up after 3, every now and again I touch on one of the new ones but just don't find it enjoyable or feel that it has a direction it's going towards.

I still am...

This...This I get

Still a cutie. Wtf she's 46?!

Top Bottom