• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Sony E3 2006 video is still on YouTube 16 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back when companies were fighting against the idea of monetizing gaming videos, and standard users only being able to upload 10 minute videos in poor quality, this is one of the oldest gaming videos on the platform.

This video was made by a user who was pissed off after the Sony 2006 e3 conference, I forgot what site he was from but he was sharing it around then it went viral.

It's still hilarious even now, but damn did we used to put up with crap video quality back then. The fights online caused by this were hilarious.

Then months later after that video, these 2 songs about the PS3 dropped and also went viral (for the time). One was about having no games, and one was about killing their brand and hubris, still hilarious:

Just a little hilarious history in case E3 actually kicks the bucket. Right before this post they were asked about 2024 and they dodged the question and said they would make E3 a "platform" so these need preservation as the oldest video game hit pieces online that went viral on Web 2.0.

Also it shows that Sony was crazy and Xbox was on point, good times. 360 Elites, Pros and Cores were all produced in large quantity and found on shelves, with 3 models, not just two, with no issues.

Last edited:
I remember the "How to kill a brand" video. If I remember correctly it was released before the MGS4 came out that changed everything about the PS3 moving forward.

slade

360 Elites, Pros and Cores were all produced in large quantity and found on shelves, with 3 models, not just two, with no issues.

Season 9 Eye Roll GIF by The Office

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The E3 2006 presser was available in 720p on websites like Gametrailers.
here's the full Press Conference if anyone is interested

But I get your point that video was made 16 years ago and is still up.
Not too surprising.
And to this day I still don't know why "Riiidge Racer" was funny,.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I know you missed the earlier post, but I'm not the one who posted an Xbox video, the other user was making this a console war.

Might want to check the posts next time.

You posted videos and I posted a video. You are the one who took issue with my video, not the other way around. Factually, you brought up Xbox in the OP so you can skip this silly take that I was making this about console wars.

Lighten up

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Miss old YouTube. Especially the pre-google days where it was fun with resident evil parodies filmed in someone's backyard.

Anytime I go there now I just get angry with the stupid shit videos being thrown at me.

H4ze

Miss old YouTube. Especially the pre-google days where it was fun with resident evil parodies filmed in someone's backyard.

Anytime I go there now I just get angry with the stupid shit videos being thrown at me.
This man is speaking the truth. Thinking about the early days of YouTube really makes me feel nostalgic.
You could just enter "lol" or "fail" and laugh for hours, good times.

360 Elites, Pros and Cores were all produced in large quantity and found on shelves, with 3 models, not just two, with no issues.

Are we going to forget that there was a 90% fail rate of RROD on all those models you mentioned lol. 360 was a great machine but such a rush job with minimal QA testing before release.

Last edited:
The dude starring at the other dude is the most awkard shit I've ever seen. I can't tell if he really was starring at him or if it was just a fucked up camera angle.

Yeah a few years back there was an interview on this topic, its the camera angle, the dude was def way behind him but looked so awkward on TV lol.

Reactions: TLZ

Mephisto40

The Xbox One reveal will still always be the funniest thing I've ever watched tbh, so bad they literally had to go back and change how the console functioned

Last edited:

FingerBang

It's funny how if you were to just watch these videos, you'd assume the PlayStation brand to be dead. In the end, I think the messed up PS3 gen changed not only Sony's attitude but the world of consoles for the better.

There's a lot of E3 conferences older than this one (and better) that are on YouTube. But interesting this is there, I guess 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The Xbox One reveal will still always be the funniest thing I've ever watched tbh, so bad they literally had to go back and change how the console functioned

The reactions after were even more funny. Its crazy how the hype for xbox just vanished in the space of an hour. Before the reveal, there were many people thinking Microsoft would eliminate sony from the industry.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Even better....

That moment where he wants/expects applause is hilarious

It's funny but nothing is "even better" than sonys e3 2006. I watched it live and it was just a never ending trainwreck!

Hit its weak spot for massive damage!

Genius...the warhawk ...everything..

Riiiiiidge raaaacer!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Someone get the clip of the guy playing warhawk with the six axis and flying into walls etc and flailing his arms around. Amazing!

Ivan

Those videos were terrible too, but today's are the worst.
I miss...normal people wanting to create anything on youtube?

Topher

Gold Member
It's funny but nothing is "even better" than sonys e3 2006. I watched it live and it was just a never ending trainwreck!

Riiiiiidge raaaacer!

You guys getting hung up on me saying “even better” is hilarious.

Kilau

Gold Member
You guys getting hung up on me saying “even better” is hilarious.

Thread was doomed when OP included this bit at the end.

Also it shows that Sony was crazy and Xbox was on point, good times. 360 Elites, Pros and Cores were all produced in large quantity and found on shelves, with 3 models, not just two, with no issues.

Just invited the comparison rather than leaving it at commentary on the video.

Ceadeus

I miss this generation so much. Now gaming is synonymous of always online, gaas, battlepass and timed event and fear of missing out.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Riiiiiidge raaaacer!
Nah everything was amplified by every media outlets having it out for Sony (kinda like the media does now with politics) and at the time as the 360 was already out and a favourite..
You check any of the podcasts back then they was biased as fuck, and even Luke Smith from 1up who's at bungie now was a Xbox fan and even he pointed it out.
Sony arrogance and fucking up just feed them what they needed.
Riiidge Racer wasn't funny, everyone does it.
Xbox becoming the next water cooler was.
Yet which one stuck?

Last edited:

Riiiiiidge raaaacer!

The context makes it worse because of that awful initial reveal followed by the rumours of DRM, which were basically confirmed during this conference, followed by the deafening pause after the price reveal. All of that combined made this painful to watch. Not to mention sonys conference and THAT moment later that day...

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Even better....

That moment where he wants/expects applause is hilarious

Topic. YouTube video of PS3 conference is still up 16 years later!

You reply with a video that's just 9 years old lol.

Both had a terrible E3 showing, but I think Sony wins this one because it was the absolute market leader after the PS2 and had WAY more to lose. Sure Xbox One was $499 in a market that was still used to the $399 price tag, but $599 in 2006 with no add-on is still much worse than a $499 console in 2013 with a $100 add-on included, even if no one wanted it. The biggest downfall of the Xbox One was the always on always online DRM all digital media, which was actually ahead of its time, today no one cares about physical discs, and the idea of sharing games with friends and family may have been innovative. We may finally see that in fruition with Game Pass family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom