• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ORION removed from Steam via (likely not incorrect) Activision DMCA takedown request

jambo

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/747571547787911168

h0u6MgI.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/407840

***EDIT: This makes it a bit more obvious

This comparison is more suspicious...

ZQeBNGs.png

http://steamcommunity.com/games/104900/announcements/detail/834671877728578774

So apparently Activision has removed ORION from Steam. This was done via a DMCA takedown request stating:

“on behalf of Activision, who alleges that the game Orion uses weapon art content from Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. The weapon art in question includes the M8A7 rifle, the Haymaker rifle, and the Bal-27 rifle."

I've uploaded comparisons of the weapons in question, from both games. I had to guess on weapons as no specific assets or images were provided to me, nor was I contacted by Steam/Valve or Activision prior to having the game removed from Steam.

(Comparison 1 - Auto Shotgun)
http://i.imgur.com/8Qx1NI2.png

(Comparison 2 - Auto Rifle)
http://i.imgur.com/IjS7dfO.png

This is extremely serious that a DCMA request has removed our entire game from sale, during the biggest sale event of the year. Apparently no cross-checking was done by our Partner, who we've been with for over 5 years and I have seen better and would expect better from them. At minimum, to contact us regarding our assets/defense before taking any action.

We've made Steam our primary platform, but this has put a definite scare into us going forward considering our entire livelihood can be pulled without a moments notice, without any warning or proper verification. I cannot even confirm that the representative from Activision is a real person as absolutely no results pop up in any of my searches.

We have worked VERY hard for many years to not only ensure our community and products were great and supported, but we made sure that we were doing a great service to Steam as a platform and programs like Early Access. This is extremely evident in any of our Product reviews.

We need everyones help and support to rectify this immediately as this erroneous claim has already costed what is a very small team a significant amount of money and we need it remedied ASAP so we can get back to work on real content, something that Activision should take note of.
#OrionNeedsYou
#LookWhosScared
#SteamWTF

Shotgun is ballpark similar, but that assault rifle design is way different. Who at Activision even thought they looked similar?

low-G

Dev wasn't able to confirm the DMCA requester was even part of Activision. I wonder if it's some troll, and if so, Valve needs to get in some hot shit over a false game takedown...

Guess we'll find out more soon.

gossi

They need to file a DMCA takedown dispute, then talk to Steam. Once back up they need to talk to a lawyer if they have the funds (serious $ needed) as the person who submits the DMCA notice is legally liable - they have to sign a declaration when submitting the request.

Note this only applies if they haven't copied assets.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The ARs don't look very similar at all. Shotguns are definitely reminiscent of one another but far from what I would suspect for any kind of copyright infringement.

If they're innocent and if this gets rectified soon, the attention could and hopefully would lead to higher sales.

The game is $0.50 on sale. People should buy it just to try out for a few minutes.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
the shotgun actually looks really damn close, considering ORION is a game about being in space with dinosaurs or some shit

FyreWulff

Seems crazy that Valve would just take it down without even reviewing the case or contacting the devs.

That's how the DMCA functions. You're supposed to take down the claimed content immediately. The host of the content, essentially, is granted immunity by not getting legally involved in the middle in any way.

The claimant only gets into trouble if you put the content back up and they falsely claim the takedown again, which is BS.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
specifically on the shotgun, look at the detailing work along the top of the gun from the shoulder rest to about around the trigger. it's REALLY close.

ZQeBNGs.png

Yeah, looking at it from this angle makes me be on Activisions side.(Not only that but didn't Orion like, have different names because they changed it so many times in order to abuse the front page? Yeah, I don't trust those devs)

Apathy

That haymaker looks a little similar, like someone could kinda make a case for it but you would be trying hard, that first rifle pics don't look anything alike

ZQeBNGs.png

The blue ting under the sights is too similar

Stiler

This is why the dmca/takedowns are broken, it's guilty until you can prove you're innocent.

They need to make it where if you dmca/takedown something the burden of proof is on the one issusing the notice and then other party has a limited time to appeal, if it's decided it is right to be taken down THEN it's taken down.

If it's found that the dmca takedown is not legit then the person trying to use it should be fined/penalized and repeat offenders for false takedowns are outright banned from being able to issue more.

But we can't have this, it's too common sense and fair.

Bessy67

specifically on the shotgun, look at the detailing work along the top of the gun from the shoulder rest to about around the trigger. it's REALLY close.
It would probably look even closer if the ORION one actually had the clip attached. That image low-G posted seems to show even more blatant copying.

jambo

The images in the OP are comparing the wrong guns in each image

Threw me off. That's def a little close to the sun

Yeah I added the better pic to the OP.

Hopefully it was a single dev that did the copying, and the whole team isn't in on it or trying to cover it up.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

ZQeBNGs.png
Forget suspicious. You don't just make a random futuristic sight in a specific shape with 2 green lights on top and 2 red lights on the bottom that looks exactly like another game's sight on accident.

The left image literally looks like a lower poly clone with a different texture.

drotahorror

Is this the same game as Orion Dino Beatdown or w/e it was called? That game has a very troubling history ranging from stolen assets, scummy devs all sorts of stuff. They changed the name of it a couple times not sure what it's called now but I assume it's called Orion: Prelude (which I bought regrettably on day 1 when it was called something else). One of the worst games ever made that I've played.

Aselith

Yeah, things are not looking good now

Did they change the art assets recently though? Because this was in development for a LONG time in Early Access right?

Can a mod fix the title~

Yeah, this company is scummy. From changing the games name constantly in order to abuse the front page for 'launch' games, to stealing assets previously....

Activision is in the right here, this isn't activision being scummy.

Trace

Banned
I apparently have the game in my library from two years ago and I don't recall the name. Yea sounds like they've name changed recently.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Can a mod fix the title~

Yeah, this company is scummy. From changing the games name constantly in order to abuse the front page for 'launch' games, to stealing assets previously....

Activision is in the right here, this isn't activision being scummy.
Not to mention trying to play innocent in this case and even suggesting hashtags in hopes of riling up the internet to their side against Steam/Activision.

#OrionNeedsYou
#LookWhosScared
#SteamWTF

Its an exact copy, notice the screw on the top rail is even on the same direction, not to mention every little detail is exacly in the same place...

Shamefull...

This is shitty but isn't ORION that atrociously bad dinosaur game that keeps getting re-named in the hopes of accruing a few more sales?

Good guy Activision cleaning up Steam of Greenlight Kusoge. Thumbs up!

I might just potentially consider buying Black Ops 3 at some point before the Heat Death of the Universe for this during a Steam sale.

The Shotgun bears similarity to the Haymaker, that Assault Rifle less so, but the M87-lookalike definitely is a bit too close for comfort.

I'll be honest though - I messed around with this game a few renames ago (free weekend, might've been Orion: Dino Beatdown)and it was fucking Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, I had one match where I pulled out the sword, and apparently holding the block button on the sword stopped ALL BULLETS from hitting me, as well as melee combat. I had an entire server get incredibly frustrated with me cause I was losing my shit at how broken it was.

I don't necessarily side with any party here, because I wouldn't trust this dev with a 1000-foot pole, and whomever it was that filed the DMCA complaint might not have even been an Activision employee.

Top Bottom