• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

orioto

Good Art™
Thx guys :D

Don't piss yourself Azurejericho, please !!

Jocchan, i saw this indeed, i didn't know the site. It seems it's a capcom official community based site. It's a compilation of blog after all !

Dragonlife29, well that's when i was mentioned on Kotaku i guess, after the coop with m0dus. In two days, there was a Brazilian magazine that asked me for things (but it's dead and they paid badly !), this mysterious site i'm rfering to since some days, for wich i'm doing some art, and a mail from a Nintendo Power guy. They indeed sent me Questions by mail and i tried to answer it in a good english. They did correct a little i guess !

orioto

Good Art™
Hm, as the paperwork takes just too much time with the site, and they answer mails every three weeks, i'm going to release the castlevania one later in the day, 2pm i think.

I'm keeping the FFVI one for them cause they asked for it initially !

Such a tease :lol

orioto

Good Art™
up like promised

Used SC IV Sigfried for reference ans created some new skeleton.

I wanted an old crackled painting feel and i'm really happy with the mood and the way colors turned to be !

Ok that's fucking awesome.

In entirely other news, Donkey Kong Country just begs/screams for an HD remake, so please orioto, make my day.

Azure J

Pizza Luigi said:
Ok that's fucking awesome.

In entirely other news, Donkey Kong Country (2) just begs/screams for an HD remake, so please orioto, make my day.

Seconding all of this, but making t more specific. :D

orioto

Good Art™
Heyyyyy, there is just a new one that i was asked for a long time, and you already want an other !! This is a long work, just enjoy this one already please :D

yankee666

Congrats Orito for the interview!!!, i think Nintendo should hire you right now for the next WiiHD :D. Im only dreaming for a Mario/Zelda/Metroid or Sonic game that look like that!!!
Thanks a lot for your work!! keep the good job

orioto said:
Ho, you're the one who likes it^^

Thx everyone for the comments ;)
I wouldnt change one thing about it, its perfect. One thing ive wondered about was if you ever felt the need to do another metroid work? I remember you saying that you were a bit disappointed with how it turned out, so i wasnt sure if you thought a reworking was due.

orioto

Good Art™
abstract alien said:
I wouldnt change one thing about it, its perfect. One thing ive wondered about was if you ever felt the need to do another metroid work? I remember you saying that you were a bit disappointed with how it turned out, so i wasnt sure if you thought a reworking was due.

Yes i will someday, with a Nausicaa vibe !

orioto

Good Art™
Thx for the love guys ! That's what i need:D

You'll have the mario world lava stage before the we i hope. I'm really happy with it right now.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sorry, but I have to say, your heavy use of reference is really holding your work back in many cases.

It takes more than a little motion blur on the arm to make the pose of of a guy in a ready stance with a rapier look as though they're swinging a whip. They're totally different weapons that would result in completely different follow-through motions.

The individual elements of the picture are incongruous and very easily identifiable as having different origins, too. The flying skulls in particular look really out of place and pasted-on.

orioto

Good Art™
Shig said:
Sorry, but I have to say, your heavy use of reference is really holding your work back in many cases.

It takes more than a little motion blur on the arm to make the pose of of a guy in a ready stance with a rapier look as though they're swinging a whip. They're totally different weapons that would result in completely different follow-through motions.

The individual elements of the picture are incongruous and very easily identifiable as having different origins, too. The flying skulls in particular look really out of place and pasted-on.

Hm, well sorry i'm not worthy of your demand.... I always have some problems with people on the net who judge fan things as if they had to pay for it or something... I'm not a professional and i try to make what i can do with my abilities. I will be pleased to see better castlevania HD concept art after mine, really. But for now i'm the only one to try.

And here, the keyword is "concept art" of a videogame. of course the skulls are paste, they are meant to be some sprites :) And honestly, as a gloden skull floating on a pink sky, of course, they seems off.. i don't really see how they could seem to blend better. The color match perfectly the tone of the picture, as far as i'm concern.

Of course this is lame to use SCIV reference, and maybe the position isn't perfect, but your anatomy lesson is kind of superfluous and geekish. Sorry i didn't use my own wip to test the exact position of every of my bones when using it.

You know, i can find you 500 games a year with less coherent visuel style...
This is just a passionate guy trying to illustrate something that doesn't really exist for the time being, with his modest abilities... Scuse me, really !

Shig said:

Why the fuck are you looking for realism in a work of art for Castlevania of all things? Its about the living dead, blood sucking beings, magic powers, and items that make your whip grow...

Why would anyone care about realism, when there is nothing realistic about the game aside from the existence of myths from which it was inspired from?

orioto

Good Art™
I tired to do something for the skulls being too static and pasted-on, tell me what you think before i changed the original version !

LandSorrow%27.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Skulls look better now, keep them that way.

Shig I understand what youre trying to say, but please make the distinction between illustration and concept art. Concept just needs to convey the general mood, lightning and sense of detail, on an illustration is where you can get picky with the details and whether something looks Photoshopped or not.

Dont get me wrong, if Orioto can learn to integrate the elements better hell be more successful, but what hes trying to sell to us is how these games would look like in his mind, in a very general sense.

Good stuff man, keep it up!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I like what you did with the flying skulls in this new version, they fit better with the background now.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yeah, those look a lot better.

I'm not trying to bust your balls just to be contrarian, dude. I want to see you improve and you should too, I'm just pointing out some very basic areas that could help.
abstract alien said:
Why the fuck are you looking for realism in a work of art for Castlevania of all things?
Telegraphing motion correctly is not mutually exclusive with realism. Mickey Mouse throwing an object isn't fundamentally divorced from the way someone would throw something in real life.

orioto

Good Art™
Shig said:

I'm not trying to bust your balls just to be contrarian, dude. I want to see you improve and you should too, I'm just pointing out some very basic areas that could help.

There is no problem with criticizing actually, and i'm open to it, even i'm kind of hotheaded.
But this is not what bored me in your post. There is some kind of videogame board way of criticizing something, that i don't like.

it should be "hey the image could be better with this or that", and not "your work is wrong and it should be like that". It's not an exam, nor an official work. It's something i do on my free time. It "shouldn"t be" like something or something else. it's how it is with the time i put in it and my skills. I don't owe you my work you see... :)

This is just a matter of tone.

Shig said:

Telegraphing motion correctly is not mutually exclusive with realism. Mickey Mouse throwing an object isn't fundamentally divorced from the way someone would throw something in real life.
To be honest, most games(and entertainment) in general never convincingly pull off realism. This is most frequent when concerning "action" based movements. Not one castlevania(or any game) has really captured what it feels like to handle a whip, its always done for style, or execution of a gameplay element.

On another note, I apologize for lashing out. When I see someone doing outstanding work, I take it to heart when a blind criticism is thrown at them. Your criticism was not blind however, and you were giving an honest take on what could better the work. Its my fault, and I'm sorry.

BlueMagic

If you ever find yourself bored, and not knowing what to do, play some Monkey Island (or watch videos or pictures, whatever) and make an awesome HD remake. I would cry.

orioto

Good Art™
Pankaks said:
Sorry if this has been asked already but, have you considered showing us progression shots of how you create such awesome art?

I'm doing it in a really messy way sometimes so it could be hard to do, but maybe one time.

BlueMagic said:
If you ever find yourself bored, and not knowing what to do, play some Monkey Island (or watch videos or pictures, whatever) and make an awesome HD remake. I would cry.

I'm not sure Monkey Island suits my style really...

Top Bottom