• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan |KS| A boy, alone, surviving a devastating alien invasion (PS4 goal @36k)

80htUcX.jpg

Site | Kickstarter | Trailer

Orphan is a young boy and presumably the sole survivor of an overnight alien invasion.
You will sneak across the countryside through open fields and dense forests, over dangerous mountains and through lush valleys, ducking behind rocks and trees all while being pursued by an army of machines designed to destroy all life. However the machines have their weaknesses and they carry powerful weapons that may be able to be used against them.

20614a5cb3916ea0e6913c0d635ff16e_large.gif

73f5e6d3cb11ba5c276c804b69c6e329_large.gif

Setting
Orphan takes place in rolling hills and rugged mountains of Appalachia, a land not too often visited in video games. In addition to country fields, mountains, caves and rivers this setting opens up unique environments such as railways, coal mines as well as structures and machinery just as scary and alien as the game's other-world antagonists.

Gameplay
Orphan is a classically-styled 2D action platformer with an emphasis on stealth, item discovery and strategic combat. As the game progresses, the player will become more powerful and gameplay will become more action oriented.

f007ee60dd94530be3d08265ff4c5f18_large.png

Stealth
Use the cover system to duck behind rocks and other objects or use items that provide cover or distract enemies. Turning all lights off will make the Orphan harder to detect but could make the terrain harder to navigate.

Strategic combat
The aliens have supreme combat abilities so combat should be avoided, but rewards await those who attacking first and disable the enemy. Throw explosives from afar or set traps.

1ec528b4a9ffa92564290735c0e38f37_large.png

6201f669acfa8da0724b8a2fc8b00d1c_large.gif

db490ec3c4ea695ac89df81f537df84b_large.gif

B00ZbGbIMAAlKmk.jpg:large

I loved Out of This World/Another World, this game has a very similar play style. I hope there are puzzle elements that are not always event driven where for example, you get killed in 10 seconds if you dont work it out.

Quite a LOT like Limbo. Not a fan of the animation style.

The boy reminds me of Jeff from Earthbound.
Well it is still early in dev, so I imagine animations and other aspects will be improved down the line

I've been watching the game's progress for a while, and while it shares that shadowy Limbo aesthetic, in terms of atmosphere and tone, the two are nothing alike. Limbo was very subdued and bleak and melancholy, while Orphan crafts atmosphere through color and movement (being in the midst of a raging forest fire, the lights and glow of alien machines, etc.), and is much faster paced and action-focused

Spineker

Banned
Awesome. Limbos later half was a real letdown because of the overuse of puzzles so hopefully that remedies that

That walk cycle makes it looks like the gravity is really low or something.

Love the art though. Always a fan of Limbo-looking stuff.

UrbanRats

Very nice looking and sounding.
Gameplay looks pretty bland so far though.
Is there more to it? I guess it depends on how linear it is.

Not a fan of the animation. Or that silly voice over, lol. Otherwise, art looks nice.

What's silly about the voice over?

jediyoshi

Kid's proportions feel a little cartoony for how heavy the rest of it looks to be carrying itself tonally. Wouldn't be bothered if they went full Limbo and had soft edges around everything. All the crisp/perfect edges are a little jarring.

Very nice looking and sounding.
Gameplay looks pretty bland so far though.
Is there more to it? I guess it depends on how linear it is.

What's silly about the voice over?
Yeah, on the site, it talks about using stealth to avoid encounters, stealing more advanced enemy weapons and equipment to fight back, setting traps and using distractions. So you won't be simply running away from stuff, and can decide if you want to fight, sneak, flee

Not a fan of the animation. Or that silly voice over, lol. Otherwise, art looks nice.

Something about that running animation really bothers me
Asked the dev and he said he's changed the walk cycle quite a few times, so I imagine it's something that will be tweaked and improved as the game progresses

And found some info on level design and length
Going for a realistic environment especially in an outdoor setting makes vertical hard. However I am going to have at least a couple of cave areas and a mine which will give me alot of flexibility. Additionally I can get some vertical space out of a mountain area built around a series of train bridges and tunnels at different levels. The goal will be to work these in a way so that you don't tire of continuously going left to right as well as to provide some non-linear exploration. On the non-linear side of things I know I can't pull off a Metroidvania in this style but I'm considering having several areas where you come to one room with a fork in the road and can select different paths.

I'm aiming for no less than a 5 hour first time playthrough but the more the better. I think of Ico, one of my favorite games, than can be played straight through in about 3 hours once you've beat it a couple of times and know what you're doing. That's acceptable I think for this type of game. I hope to give it some replay value with collectibles and unlockables.

Sounds interesting, not a fan of the art style. As mentioned, too reminiscent of Limbo.

Not to derail, but wasn't there another alien invasion game due out soon? First person and you had to evade the flying saucers while searching for resources to survive. can't remember what it's called.

Ramirez

I just saw this on my FB. Apparently being made by a friend of a friend I know. I like the style, and it's cool to see some game development coming out of this area (SE, KY/TN), certainly not a typical thing, lol.

Love the style, but I usually don't play games like this.

Dev added a PS4 stretch goal
It has always been the plan to release on PS4, as Orphan is a game designed for and inspired by gaming on a big screen. Only the timing of when we release on PS4 is in question due to some additional costs of developing on that platform.

Reaching a new $36,000 stretch goal will allow us just enough to purchase the necessary hardware and to simultaneously develop for all platforms and release in quick succession. Othwerwise, work could not begin for several months after Orphan is released and enough sales are generated to cover these additional costs.

Nocturnally beautiful. Vivid and dreamlike. Echoing everyone else in that it's heavily inspired by and reminiscent of Limbo. Looks like something wonderful I'd definitely play and enjoy though so sincerely hope this KS makes it. Lack the funds to pledge myself but hope a significant amount of others do.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Someone donated 10k and now they are 10k away from the goal. I just discovered this through the Shadowrun update, it looks really good, kinda like Limbo.

Drencrom

I really like the look and feel of the game (even though people might dismiss it as a Limbo wannabe).

Love The 'War of the Worlds' inspiration and the blend of action and platforming from what is shown.

Ah well there is hope then. Looks like a lot of the game might be made already? Do you know anything more?
It's been in dev for a while, I remember seeing Screenshot Saturday posts for it early last year.
I've been developing Orphan part-time for the past year and though there is much more to do, most of the game's mechanics are in place.

~Kinggi~

Banned
5 days left. Just released a new video too. Game has better atmosphere than the majority of 2d games ive seen like this. Backed it last week.

KalBalboa

Banned
This looks neat, but I'll be damned if it doesn't just scream Limbo.

Still, $15 to get a digital copy seems worth it. The animation of the kid is a little stiff, but not enough to ruin to get much in the way of the rest of the art design.

80%, with about 3 days to go. Still can make it, it'll be a close one though. Usually there's a burst of funding in the last 48 hours due to reminder emails going out and backers spreading the word and raising their pledges

Love the atmosphere and lighting - I do wish so many of these games didn't feel the need to silhouette though, would love to see these guys' art in just a fully front lit style. Silhouetting used to be a nice way to break things up, but it's become kind of a tired gimmick, kind of the way i feel about found footage.

These games all owe such a debt to Eric Chahi's Heart of Darkness - should do a thread about that game, and how influential it was.

Heart_of_Darkness_PSX_023.gif

Heart_of_Darkness_PSX_092.gif

Backed it. They should be okay. It's pretty rare for a game to come so close and fail.
92%, and it's not even the final 48 hours yet

I just hope that 10k backer doesn't pull out. I'm suspicious of unusually big pledges like that

Love the atmosphere and lighting - I do wish so many of these games didn't feel the need to silhouette though, would love to see these guys' art in just a fully front lit style. Silhouetting used to be a nice way to break things up, but it's become kind of a tired gimmick, kind of the way i feel about found footage.

These games all owe such a debt to Eric Chahi's Heart of Darkness - should do a thread about that game, and how influential it was.

Heart_of_Darkness_PSX_023.gif

Heart_of_Darkness_PSX_092.gif
Wow, this looks fantastic. Is it on PC?

Top Bottom