• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2020; ‘Joker’ leads with 11

Raziel

The supervillain origin story “Joker” took the lead in the Oscars race with 11 nominations—including for best picture, best director and best actor— as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced its awards contenders Monday morning.

Close behind it: Sam Mendes’s World War I movie 1917, Quentin Tarantino’s show-business saga “Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood” and Martin Scorsese’s mob epic “The Irishman” nabbed 10 nods each, including for directing and best picture.

Last edited:

Naibel

Dude, that's some strong competition right here !
Joker, Parasite, Ford v Ferrari, my personal 2019 top 3 is in the Best Picture category ! If any of those films wins the prize, I'm gonna be happy.

I do have a slight preference for Parasite, as it was for me such a huge slap in the face that single handedly kickstarted a long overdue passion for Korean cinema.

Phoenix has to win Best Actor tho. We need to live in a society.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Dear Academy. I don´t really care but don´t snub Joker after the avalanche of noms. It really is the best US film of 2019. The Irishman comes 2nd.

Edit: Parasite is the best "foreign" film of 2019. Good director too:

Last edited:

kunonabi

Pretty miffed that Lighthouse and Uncut Gems got treated pretty poorly.

I'm seeing 1917, Two Popes, and Pain and Glory this week so my personal picks, as in should not will win, from these nominations so far:

Best Picture: Parasite

It was between this and the Lighthouse for me.

Best Director - Bong Joon-Ho

I'd these were all very solid efforts sans Joker but Parasite is the only that I think reached exceptional.

Best Actor - Adam Driver

Joaquin Phoenix acted his heart but he really ran out of worthwhile material halfway through the film.

Best Actress - Renee Zellweger

Kind of a weak year in terms of actress nominations to be honest. I cant say any of them jumped as best actress material to me. I was probably most impressed with Aisling Franciosi for the Nightingale or Eleanor Worthington-Cox for Gwen. Although they may not have been eligible I suppose. Florence Pugh was great in Midsommar but she had even less to do in the second half of her film than Phoenix did.

Best Supporting Actor - Joe Pesci

Kind of a toss-up between him and Pitt.

Best Supporting Actress - Kathy Bates

Best Original Screenplay - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I might have been gone with Marriage Story but I don't think it was effective enough in making both sides of the divorce sympathetic which I think was the goal. I spent most of the movie thinking Scarlet and the son were assholes and siding with Driver and I never side with cheaters.

Best adapted screenplay - The Irishman

Best animated feature - Klaus
Kind of a useless category with these Oscar voters.

Best International feature - Parasite

Best Original Score - no clue

I didn't find any score this year to be a standout so I'm not even going to pick.

Best original song - I'm gonna love me again

Best Sound editing - Ford v Ferrari

Best Sound mixing - Ford v Ferrari

Best Production Design - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Cinematography - The Lighthouse

Only real competition is 1917

Best makeup and hairstyling - Judy i guess

no dog in this race but I look forward to the twitter salt when bombshell wins.

Best costume design - Little Women

Best editing -Ford v Ferrari

a really tough category this year. Im almost inclined to give it the irisman as despite being 3 hours and 40 minutes it actually flies by until the final half hour.

Best visual effects - not picking yet

None of the nominees deserve it so Ill probably go with 1917 when I see it.

I literally saw 3 of those movies I think. #SAD

I honestly haven't cared about the Oscars since Return of the King cleaned house way back in the day. They just don't care/nominate movies I liked.

Also, how the hell did Black Panther get a BP nod, but Endgame didn't?

Grinchy

Banned
I enjoyed Joker, but it's not the best picture. The Irishman should win that even despite the CG stuff that was distracting as hell. It's just such a damn good movie that you don't even feel the 3.5 hours go by.

Javthusiast

Banned
You should see Movieblobs tweets and the ones of mooks he follows. They are so salty over Joker it's hilarious. Being totally toxic towards it, the fans etc. but it is people like us who liked it that are toxic or who had actual criticism towards last jedi for example. Fucking hypocrites.

Last edited:
the more time passes the more i feel joker didn't really leave that big of an impression aside from the final murray scene, which i loved

idk the rest is weirdly not very memorable

give darren aronofsky a chance with joaquin for the sequel IMO

Mato

The Irishman should win that even despite the CG stuff that was distracting as hell. It's just such a damn good movie that you don't even feel the 3.5 hours go by.

Oh really? Well I wouldn't know, I fell asleep halfway. I tried, I really did.

The saddest thing about this Incel The Movie 2019 - Colorired crap is that the film´s wiki is still locked till next fucking April:

Cuck, the movie about actual incles is editable:

What is happening in America? This is a DC comics adaptation! The film is 16+ here in Germany and there was no controversy. Zero. TDK, the Arkham games, many of the toon films are also 16+. This 2008 Joker TPB is much more bleak:
Joker rapes a woman, sexually abuses a man, he snorts coke, skins a man in a strip club and...

still need to see this. obviously i avoided seeing it in theaters due to all the incel shootings.

The last 5 minutes of the movie, I spotted some dude with a trench coat just standing next to my aisle.

At that moment I thought "Oh, so this is about to go down, huh? Well, if I duck at the initial moment of fire and speed crawl straight down underneath these people's legs, I may only get grazed by two or three bullets at most."

The creepy fuck stood there up until the end of the movie, but nothing happened.

EDIT: Greta Gerwig or Rian Johnson should've really been nominated for best director instead of Todd. Joker looked decent, but the overall visual style is nothing special.

EDIT REDUX: Actually no, FUCK, Robert Eggers got robbed.

Last edited:
The last 5 minutes of the movie, I spotted some dude with a trench coat just standing next to my aisle.
source.gif

My actual military trench coat (i did 2 years) is the jacket I wear the most. Some of us never grew out of our Matrix phase but trench coats don´t have a bad name over here. It has sooo many pockets. The full Switch fits in one!

Edit: Little Women is ok. There were better adaptations (even in anime). The Lighthouse, eh. Not a fan of Eggers.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
For once the Oscars isn't a complete joke. Joker was okay though, should pick up two or three awards but nothing more than that.

-Troid-

Banned
Edit: the second tweet is what I was going for, but I guess Twitter only offers entire threads.

Man I can't believe I ever actually listened to this chode. Actually I can because I was an impressionable 14 year old.

At least I had the good sense to stop listening to him when he did a complete 180 and hopped on the "RE5 is racist train." He also turned me off when he kept doing his shitty story segments in his videos and got pissy when anyone dared criticize them. Then he just got weirder and weirder. I knew he went full tool when he started shilling Sarkeesian. Now he's more nuts than a PSP ad.

belmarduk

Its kind of shitty that DiCaprio was nominated for lead actor and Pitt supporting actor. They were both leads and Pitt's character was far more interesting.

Love the salt flowing from blue check marks in the morning. Well deserved nominations but it won't win more than a few I guess. A lot of good competition in the different categories.

Master Of Illusion Master Of Illusion Adam Sandler is scumbag. Makes 50+ million budget ad placement filled "comedies" where 90% of the budget goes to him and his friends starring in these movies, and the absolute minimum is spent on production. He has no respect for the art or the people who pay to watch his drivel. Fuck him

Love the salt flowing from blue check marks in the morning. Well deserved nominations but it won't win more than a few I guess. A lot of good competition in the different categories.

Master Of Illusion Master Of Illusion Adam Sandler is scumbag. Makes 50+ million budget ad placement filled "comedies" where 90% of the budget goes to him and his friends starring in these movies, and the absolute minimum is spent on production. He has no respect for the art or the people who pay to watch his drivel. Fuck him
All that is true, but Uncut Gems was still something special and deserves at least some recognition. Even if it's not for Sandler himself (although I would argue he was damn good in it), at least for direction. The movie is chaotic in the perfect way, always keeping up the tension.

Top Bottom