• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2020; ‘Joker’ leads with 11

#Phonepunk#

Banned
From its dumb yellow title card to its antihero’s dumb delusions of grandeur to its dumb absolute belief in its own transgressiveness, Joker is just as stupid as can be. It is a movie designed to seem impressive to anyone without much of an understanding of film history, who’s maybe seen clips from Taxi Driver online. It’s a movie designed for people who must rush to get on Twitter to see if everyone catches the reference.

not sure what is funnier, the butthurt elitist salt on display, or the idea that this is a professional writer who gets paid to write like this

manfestival

John Williams master class with that nomination for Rise of Skywalker. I think I am more shocked that Avengers Endgame got like... 1 nomination? I guess if it got released at the end of the year, it would've garnered more attention for awards purposes but they won in the money category for sure.

Also feels weird that I have only seem 1917, Joker, Rise of Skywalker, and Avengers endgame out of all of the movies on the nomination list.

Hinedorf

Banned
Haven't seen 1917 but it's nearly a lock to clean house on a lot of the big awards. The Joker deserves 1 award only, best actor, let's just stop after that. Joaquin is brilliant, I think most people won't bother watching the movie more than once, it's dark and fucked up and other than watching it for Joaquin's brilliance it's a pretty boring movie.

Parasite is the best movie of the decade, probably the best one since Oldboy (which, tellingly, got zero award attention when it came out). Please colonize us based Korea. I wouldn't be upset with Joker winning it as well. Everything else would be a mistake, heck Marriage Story would be so toxic it would give Super AIDS to everyone watching.

Last edited:
John Williams master class with that nomination for Rise of Skywalker. I think I am more shocked that Avengers Endgame got like... 1 nomination? I guess if it got released at the end of the year, it would've garnered more attention for awards purposes but they won in the money category for sure.

Also feels weird that I have only seem 1917, Joker, Rise of Skywalker, and Avengers endgame out of all of the movies on the nomination list.
Highly recommend Parasite if you can find a theater showing it. Basically all you need to know is it's in Korean with English subtitles and that it's a Dark Comedy/Drama/Thriller.

The Oscars are fucking retarded. No nominations for Samara Weaving for Ready or Not or Zac Efron for Extremely Wicked Shockingly Evil and Vile.
You must be retarded to condemn the Oscars for not nominating Samara Weaving in a movie where all she does is scream and cry.

The Irishman deserves best picture the most out of those, but don't hold your breath.

Joker winning would be the ultimate insult to all journalists. Even though I thought the movie was overrated, it would be entertaining to see it win after the media's campaign against it.

The Lighthouse was far from perfect, but the cinematography was incredible and deserves a win.

Driver was actually impressive in Marriage Story.

I still need to see if Parasite lives up to the hype.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
ENaKG30WoAU58Hb

Top Bottom