• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar to become "more inclusive" a list of measures to address white male conspiracy

llien

SmYWQ89.png

I think getting away with "racial or ethnic group" OR "women" is not going far enough.

Remind me, what is the gaming world "Oscar" doing to address the racial/gender justice?

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is actually gonna screw over minorities and LGBTQ so hard because there's effectively an "out" in that to give white women a shot and, well, if affirmative action's anything to go by, they'll probably benefit the most from this too xD.

Then they can just file any complaints under, "See! We have the diversity qualifications on the record!" and they'd be right under technical terms, but effectively this is probably just gonna mean more of the same.

I don't care either way, but it's always a bit "fun" to see these organizations try to virtue signal while still failing to institute any genuine changes that live up to their supposed "progressive" values.

...also tell me when have "women" been an underrepresented group in film? They make up 51% of the global population and I've not seen a movie that's never had 0 women in it except maybe The Thing (and there was a thematic reason that movie was all dudes).

manfestival

So we gotta racebend stories that may be like.... lets say viking based if the potential writer wants it to be something that qualifies for an oscar. Granted they can always make these movies regardless but the dream of an oscar is now in a limited scope rather than having the sky be the limit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Can't wait for someone to retroactively go through all previous Best Picture winners and see how many would be disallowed under these rules LOL

Ballthyrm

Awards show have always been for people too lazy to have an opinion of their own.
The academy doesn't have the best record at all and just adding more rules is not going to change that.

Getting movie by the numbers is already what's going on, just look at the best actor/actress category.
It's always a biopic of some kind with some over acting or physical transformation.

the best animated picture is always a pixar/disney because that's "what my kid did like"
much better to do like Brando and use a stand in and push your political agenda that's all it is anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom