• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Winners 2023 List

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
seals applause GIF

The one I disagree with most is Jamie Lee Curtis winning best supporting for EEAAO when she was good, but the daughter in the movie was a MUCH better character and that actress was nominated too, failing that then certainly Angela Bassett for Black Panther 2 as she was one of the few stand outs in that.
Has Jamie Lee Curtis ever won before? If not, I'm guessing that's why. I think voters take that sort of thing into account, however right or wrong that might be.

i guess i need to try watching "Everything" again. it was interesting but i stopped because it was just too whacky and felt like it was dragging on.

NikuNashi

Its not a "narrative", this is a landmark achieving for a group that has been repeated stereotyped and shut out of big Hollywood films, as well as awards for years.

Maybe they just made a good movie lol

I will look forward to a white or black cast movie sweeping the board at the HK film awards or The Golden Rooster Awards.

Or let's see an American movie win best movie at the Bollywood awards.

Dr_Salt

i guess i need to try watching "Everything" again. it was interesting but i stopped because it was just too whacky and felt like it was dragging on.
I don't get it either and I love sci-fi movies. One of the most overrated movies I have ever tried watching because I also stopped it like 1 hour into it and I never do that unless a movie is really terrible.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Has Jamie Lee Curtis ever won before? If not, I'm guessing that's why. I think voters take that sort of thing into account, however right or wrong that might be.

If we are going for participation awards, then goddamn hand some of those golden statues over to old mate Tom Cruise.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't get it either and I love sci-fi movies. One of the most overrated movies I have ever tried watching because I also stopped it like 1 hour into it and I never do that unless a movie is really terrible.

Were you expecting a sci-fi movie though? It's a comedy with a family drama flavour, the sci-fi stuff is only really there as a vehicle and it's mostly nonsense.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can someone explain to me why a weird movie like EEAAO wins so many Oscars? Hell, it won all the most important Oscars (Picture, Director, Actors, Screenplay). Three (!!!) acting Oscars !? What?
Oscars have been trending indie for a while now. Even Ebert pointed this out before his death. It's the young crew who only like artsy fartsy crap. EEAAO is an A24 movie, an indie powerhouse, they were due. It has a big minority cast. It was actually successful at the box office unlike previous oscar winners. Its competition was a by the numbers Fableman, and a much of other boring movies along with two action blockbusters that were never going to win.

Just look at the last few winners. Coda, indie movie about a deaf family. Nomadland, an indie movie about a van lifer. Parasite, south korean movie. Moonlight was in 2017 i think sandwiched between green book and spotlight. Two oscar baits themselves.

Gone are the days when Mad Max, Gravity, Matrix and Avatar would at least win all the technical awards. The fact that Top Gun and Avatar won a grand total of one award each is insane. Academy's entire purpose was to have 20 awards so it could spread them out to movies that would otherwise be overlooked by nerds giving out awards to trash like Shakespeare in love over Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line. If ROTK came out today, i dont think it wins best picture, let alone 11 oscars.

I'll just say that I think it was a very weak selection of mostly mediocre movies. Didn't like Everything Everywhere at all. My vote would probably have gone to Inisherin.
I love Martin M's work but that movie did nothing for me. Unlike his other movies, everyone except for the sister was unlikable. The story goes nowhere. In Bruges and 3 Billboards at least had something to say.

Not to take anything away from Fraser's performance but the Academy LOVES disabled portrayals.
I watched the movie and there are 2 scenes where Fraser really shows his chops.
He could have been a drunk, a crackhead, a thief or a failed Youtube Influencer but it wouldn't work.

The Academy loves fat fucks and retards. Yes I said retards.
Two of the previous 5 best picture winners have deaf/mute protagonists. Oscars definitely have a type.

Looking at the best actor winners though. It's been a while since they gave best actor/actress to a disabled portryal. Closest i saw when looking through the last ten years was Joaquin Pheonix for Joker.

Fbh

Happy for everyone that worked at EEAO, was easily my favorite movie of the year.
I like that over the past few years The Oscars are starting to recognize other types of performances and movies, too much of it has historically been dominated by "oscar bait" stuff. I like seeing wacky movies like EEAO win, I like seeing a hilarious, varied, physically demanding role like the one from Jamie Lee Curtis get the win over the usual "crying, screaming and being depressed" type of roles that tend to get all the attention.

What was with the hard on for "Everything Everywhere All at Once"? I did not think it was that great. I didn't think it was bad, but I don't see how it won that many Oscars. Am I in the minority here?
All Quiet On The Western Front took a large haul at the Baftas. I was expecting the same thing to happen at the Oscars.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everything all at once was really interesting I thought it should have been another movie winning.

Dr_Salt

Were you expecting a sci-fi movie though? It's a comedy with a family drama flavour, the sci-fi stuff is only really there as a vehicle and it's mostly nonsense.
I was expecting a good scifi movie when the reviews were comparing it to the matrix so yes.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
Why use the word "barely" as if 60 years ago was somewhat recent? 60 years is a long time.
I said barely because it was slightly more than 60 years ago... as in barely 60
I will look forward to a white or black cast movie sweeping the board at the HK film awards or The Golden Rooster Awards.

Or let's see an American movie win best movie at the Bollywood awards.
You really didn't think this one through.

Toons

Banned
Indeed. Tom Cruise is pretty much singlehandedly keeping the Hollywood action movie genre alive at this point and should be celebrated for that accordingly.
Oscar's have never given af about action movies.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm really happy for Brendan Fraser, but to be honest I'm not at all interested in seeing The Whale because I have the impression it's a depressing movie.

If you look at a film list objectively, i can tell you... its not more. Lol

And the last 2 years is, yeah, recent because Hollywood has existed for almost 100 and barely even 60 ago gave us stuff like this

IeLxUx5.jpg

So yea id say they've come a long way.
Well yeah, those accomplishments in the past two years have ultimately lead up to now.
Of course. And when those groups get their time make no mistake there will be another weirdo here minimizing it and saying 'Theyve had plenty of recognition, look at these other examples in the past two years.'

I mean I guess I just don't agree. As a kid I watch a lot of Jackie Chan, Sagwa, Xialoin Showndown, etc. Throughout the years you had movies like 47 Ronin come out. Oldboy (2003) is regarded as one of the greatest movies ever. Mulan. Karate Kid. Even Bulletrain is kind of a hybrid.

Not one of those movies/shows did I watch for representation or even thought about it - I just watched because they were good and entertaining. I would not consider Everything Everywhere in the caliber of some of the best material with asian representation in the last 20 years, although Oscars say otherwise.

My thoughts on this are similar to the The Last of Us tv show (regarded as the best story in video games). If Everything Everywhere is really considered the best movie ever with asian representation, it's almost a devastating statement.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
I mean I guess I just don't agree. As a kid I watch a lot of Jackie Chan, Sagwa, Xialoin Showndown, etc. Throughout the years you had movies like 47 Ronin come out. Oldboy (2003) is regarded as one of the greatest movies ever. Mulan. Karate Kid. Even Bulletrain is kind of a hybrid.

Not one of those movies/shows did I watch for representation or even thought about it - I just watched because they were good and entertaining. I would not consider Everything Everywhere in the caliber of some of the best material with asian representation in the last 20 years, although Oscars say otherwise.

My thoughts on this are similar to the The Last of Us tv show (regarded as the best story in video games). If Everything Everywhere is really considered the best movie ever with asian representation, it's almost a devastating statement.
Marital arts movies have always been popular when brought over from there, simply because no one here could really even pull that off.

Wuxia type movies really don't count, that was the stereotype, even if they were good movies they were just consumable entertainment, the industry never considered them art or gave them respect with a few exceptions.

But what you're really seeing is asian AMERICAN stories, and thats something that has been completely pushed to the wayside. Were starting to get regular movies, featuring Americans of !sian descent as the leads, that dont have to be martial arts films or wuxia but can just be good stories with relatable experiences anyone can enjoy, not just a spectacle.

And further, getting more recognition by the academy means the craft is being acknowledged... and like it or not these awsrd ceremonies have big influence over what gets produced and greenlit. It's definitely a shift, and I think its a needed one, not just for asians specifically but just the acknowledgement of other groups that have up and coming filmmakers, writers, directors, actors etc with different perspectives. The academy is now saying to those folks "ok we see you, you have potential snd your stories can be told the way YOU want to tell it" and thats good for the industry.

Marital arts movies have always been popular when brought over from there, simply because no one here could really even pull that off.

Wuxia type movies really don't count, that was the stereotype, even if they were good movies they were just consumable entertainment, the industry never considered them art or gave them respect with a few exceptions.

But what you're really seeing is asian AMERICAN stories, and thats something that has been completely pushed to the wayside. Were starting to get regular movies, featuring Americans of !sian descent as the leads, that dont have to be martial arts films or wuxia but can just be good stories with relatable experiences anyone can enjoy, not just a spectacle.

And further, getting more recognition by the academy means the craft is being acknowledged... and like it or not these awsrd ceremonies have big influence over what gets produced and greenlit. It's definitely a shift, and I think its a needed one, not just for asians specifically but just the acknowledgement of other groups that have up and coming filmmakers, writers, directors, actors etc with different perspectives. The academy is now saying to those folks "ok we see you, you have potential snd your stories can be told the way YOU want to tell it" and thats good for the industry.
This makes sense and I agree - if this win leads to more people of asian descent getting projects, I'm all for it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
How the hell has this movie about some embittered women who complain about men beat Top Gun?

How!!!!

THIS BEAT THIS???

Tams

Gold Member
Lol, what a joke.

All Quiet On The Western Front was the only one deserving of the awards it got there. Though I am happy for Brendan Fraser, and he was pretty good in The Whale, which was a decent enough film.

Top Gun wasn't perfect by a long shot, but it absolutely should have won a few more awards.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

So if I act in a movie or something... but I don't win any award in 30 years, then they give me the Oscar by Default?

xD

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm glad that Top Gun won something. If we're going to make sequels/remakes, this is the mold to follow. Not the other creatively bankrupt garbage that Hollywood likes to churn out.

I really didn’t think they were shut out though - I feel like I’ve seen quite a bit of media with Asian representation in the past 2 years alone - parasite, crazy rich Asians, squid games, Shang chi, everything everywhere, etc. I feel like that’s more than I can say for other groups
Two whole years huh? What a milestone lol.

Judge the movie on its merits of cinematography, writing, acting, editing, score, and art design. The ethnicity of the people in it and whatever you think the "narrative" surrounding it is irrelevant.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll pass on watching Everything whatever it's called.

I finally watched Shang Chi on the weekend and thought it was pure dogshit. The only good thing was the evil dad was pretty good. Best actor in the whole movie. I'm not a bg superhero movie fan, and I think Avenger movies are cheese, but I have to admit the Marvel Avenger movies I've seen are way better.

I also saw Crazy Rich Asians years back and that's one of the worst movies I've seen in recent times. The only good thing is one of the actresses was hot (not the main one, but that bitchy one who bossed around her BF/hubby).

I also wanted to see how good that live action Mulan movie was to the old cartoon. Bad too. Although I'd say it's better than Shang Chi and Crazy Rich.

Three hyped up movies with Asian casts, and all three were junk unless you enjoy stereotypical kung fu mayhem in two of the movies. Not going to bother with Michelle Yeoh leading Everything Everywhere. Her acting was 100% robotic in Shang Chi.

Last edited:
I'm glad that Top Gun won something. If we're going to make sequels/remakes, this is the mold to follow. Not the other creatively bankrupt garbage that Hollywood likes to churn out.

Two whole years huh? What a milestone lol.

Judge the movie on its merits of cinematography, writing, acting, editing, score, and art design. The ethnicity of the people in it and whatever you think the "narrative" surrounding it is irrelevant.
One of my follow up posts brought up examples over the last 25 years. And I agree, a movie should not win based on “narrative” which I originally thought was the one of drivers for Everything Everywhere winning. Otherwise just based on merit, just in my opinion, I thought Everything Everywhere was not good, not horrible, but not good.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I finally watched Shang Chi on the weekend and thought it was pure dogshit. The only good thing was the evil dad was pretty good. Best actor in the whole movie. I'm not a bg superhero movie fan, and I think Avenger movies are cheese, but I have to admit the Marvel Avenger movies I've seen are way better.

I also saw Crazy Rich Asians years back and that's one of the worst movies I've seen in recent times. The only good thing is one of the actresses was hot (not the main one, but that bitchy one who bossed around her BF/hubby).

I also wanted to see how good that live action Mulan movie was to the old cartoon. Bad too. Although I'd say it's better than Shang Chi and Crazy Rich.

Three hyped up movies with Asian casts, and all three were junk unless you enjoy stereotypical kung fu mayhem in two of the movies. Not going to bother with Michelle Yeoh leading Everything Everywhere. Her acting was 100% robotic in Shang Chi.
I couldnt even sit through the trailer.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One of my follow up posts brought up examples over the last 25 years. And I agree, a movie should not win based on “narrative” which I originally thought was the one of drivers for Everything Everywhere winning. Otherwise just based on merit, just in my opinion, I thought Everything Everywhere was not good, not horrible, but not good.
Lots of other people thought the movie was just okay, and that's fine. I'll be the first to admit that it's weird AF and that could hurt it in certain demographics, but I'd rather have my movies take risks on being creative than resorting to being safe and bland.

Is there another movie on the list of nominees that you think would have been a better winner, or are you feeling like the nominee list was kinda meh to begin with?

Did you see Parasite? I thought it was pretty good even with the hype. Everything Everywhere is just ok, honestly.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
EEAAO winning so many awards is surprising. I loved the film, but I never considered it a contender for best film of the year.

Hopefully with the surge of interest it means we'll get a 4K disc release in the UK.

Lots of other people thought the movie was just okay, and that's fine. I'll be the first to admit that it's weird AF and that could hurt it in certain demographics, but I'd rather have my movies take risks on being creative than resorting to being safe and bland.

Is there another movie on the list of nominees that you think would have been a better winner, or are you feeling like the nominee list was kinda meh to begin with?
I definitely thought the list this year was very meh - no obvious choices like No Country for Old Men, There will be Blood (2008 was just spectacular, this movie would've won any other year), or even a Parasite. That's why I thought this should be a Titanic like year - give it to Top Gun or Avatar which were remarkable achievements in their own right, brought people back to movies, "saved the industry", etc. Both of these movies represented what everyone loves about movies and they were so grand, especially Avatar. And both those movies I found far more enjoyable than Everything Everywhere - I didn't think Everything Everywhere did anything particularly better than these two movies story, cinematography, editing wise. I really thought, with the literal definition of "Best Picture", Avatar should've won it but maybe they'll just give all the awards to Avatar 7, LOTR style.

I am definitely glad Everything Everywhere won it over oscar bait "artsy" garbage like Banshees though.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I definitely thought the list this year was very meh - no obvious choices like No Country for Old Men, There will be Blood (2008 was just spectacular, this movie would've won any other year), or even a Parasite. That's why I thought this should be a Titanic like year - give it to Top Gun or Avatar which were remarkable achievements in their own right, brought people back to movies, "saved the industry", etc. Both of these movies represented what everyone loves about movies and they were so grand, especially Avatar. And both those movies I found far more enjoyable than Everything Everywhere - I didn't think Everything Everywhere did anything particularly better than these two movies story, cinematography, editing wise. I really thought, with the literal definition of "Best Picture", Avatar should've won it but maybe they'll just give all the awards to Avatar 7, LOTR style.

I am definitely glad Everything Everywhere won it over oscar bait "artsy" garbage like Banshees though.
There is a massive disconnect between the audience and the typical Oscar voter. We just had two of the biggest box office releases of all time and while its great that they were nominated for best picture, they both were given a token award and told to fuck off from this indie fuckfest that was this year's Oscar show.

Top Gun and Avatar arent even your typical Marvel trash either. These are well directed, well acted, and AMBITIOUS movies that both push the envelope and take filmmaking to a bold new era. The audience gets it. They went out and rewarded both movies. Oscars all but shunned them both in favor a movie that looks like it was made for tv.

TBH, I dont wtf Spielberg was doing there in the best director nomination so it wasnt just Everything Everywhere. James Cameron or Joseph Kosinski shouldve been nominated. I remember just six years ago when mad Max cleaned up all the technical awards losing only to Revenant for best cinematographer and director. Gravity a few years before that. Oscar voters back then were able to determine the actual CRAFT of filmmaking back then.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

The evil dad is Tony Leung, a bonafide Hong Kong superstar and acting powerhouse. Couldn't believe he agreed to be in such a uninspiring yawntastic movie. Leung has more charisma, presence, acting ability in his little thumb then those potatoes who played Shang-Chi and his sassy sidekick. Super disappointed in that film.

As for Yeoh in Everywhere, yeah she and the main cast acted the living daylights out of that movie. Though in saying that, like others I'm also scratching my head as to why Jamie Lee Curtis won an award as well.

There is a massive disconnect between the audience and the typical Oscar voter. We just had two of the biggest box office releases of all time and while its great that they were nominated for best picture, they both were given a token award and told to fuck off from this indie fuckfest that was this year's Oscar show.

Top Gun and Avatar arent even your typical Marvel trash either. These are well directed, well acted, and AMBITIOUS movies that both push the envelope and take filmmaking to a bold new era. The audience gets it. They went out and rewarded both movies. Oscars all but shunned them both in favor a movie that looks like it was made for tv.

TBH, I dont wtf Spielberg was doing there in the best director nomination so it wasnt just Everything Everywhere. James Cameron or Joseph Kosinski shouldve been nominated. I remember just six years ago when mad Max cleaned up all the technical awards losing only to Revenant for best cinematographer and director. Gravity a few years before that. Oscar voters back then were able to determine the actual CRAFT of filmmaking back then.
Agreed, I didn't even want to talk about Best Director, such a catastrophe. James Cameron undertaking a decade long project that involves technology management, actual filming, and all the meticulous planning around that and he doesn't even get a nomination? It's actually really hard to see a 10 year project fully through. What a joke

Top Bottom