• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Osiris being turned into Assassin's Creed Egypt?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Reference (spoilers most likely): http://kotaku.com/assassins-creeds-wild-fake-email-in-joke-or-tease-fo-1456984380

You may remember that a couple of days ago people found a bunch of e-mails in AC4 hinting at future potential settings for the series.

This matches up with AC3 teasing the location of AC4.

However, what's most interesting is that as part of the Assassin's Creed Egypt teaser, this image appears in game:

originalc1pta.jpg

You may remember Osiris looking rather similar:

HP5tg.jpg

Just to recap the series history here:

Prince of Persia Assassins was turned into Assassin's Creed. This series is helmed by Ubisoft Montreal.

Osiris was a new IP from Ubisoft Montreal that took place in Egypt turned into Prince of Persia Zero 2 turned back into Osiris and now potentially turned into Assassin's Creed Egypt.

:Ubisoft:

V_Ben

Banned
If Assassins Creed just becomes the banner for new and weird time periods, then fine, slap that name on everything. Just make sure the games are different enough from each other.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A new IP would have been cooler, but an AC set in Ancient Egypt would be dope as hell.

The main difference would be that Osiris was supposed to be like SotC in Egypt, so presumably all the giant monster stuff has been removed.

That said Ubisoft has been saying how they want to make their games very grounded and realistic so I'm not sure something with monsters would ever make it to retail from the company as it is now.

Neato, I guess. Sort of a bummer than the product's creative identity has been jerked back and forth so much, but I love the setting and it would at least be cool for an AC game.

I love that they are exploring all these incredible locations and time periods. I hate that they are doing it in the framework of an Assassins Creed game. I put in AC3 to play through it for the first time this morning and after about 2 hours I just couldn't do it anymore.

Shinta

Banned
I just want them to get back to Prince of Persia already. I'm glad this isn't it. Looked way too much like AC anyway.

faridmon

Can't wait until Watch Dogs is turned into Assassins Creed 6 with Assassins and Templars running amok in the modern day scenarios.

Oh shit! :O Here's hoping! Saw the in-game email with the locations mentioned earlier and yup, there could definitely be some very interesting future AC games.

Zabant

Let the damn IP be its own thing

Hell, i'll meet you half way, if it stands on it's own merits you have a NEW IP you can drive into the ground for merch and sequels.

TripOpt55

The main difference would be that Osiris was supposed to be like SotC in Egypt, so presumably all the giant monster stuff has been removed.

That said Ubisoft has been saying how they want to make their games very grounded and realistic so I'm not sure something with monsters would ever make it to retail from the company as it is now.

Bummer. SotC in Egypt did sound pretty cool.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Want this so bad. I don't care if they have to simplify mechanics/progress in the franchise in the process, I just want in for the world.

MMaRsu

Banned
I love that they are exploring all these incredible locations and time periods. I hate that they are doing it in the framework of an Assassins Creed game. I put in AC3 to play through it for the first time this morning and after about 2 hours I just couldn't do it anymore.

Ac3 is the worst game in the series next to revelations.

grkazan12

:(

I would definitely want to fight Anubis monsters in a pyramid, I just hope they can focus more on the next gen release. I'm assuming this will be cross gen? I just want developers to focus on the next gen consoles and PC this time around.

shem935

Banned

This makes me a sad panda :(

It's probably the Black Flag syndrome. I haven't played ACIV, but I think a lot of people, including myself, always wondered why they just didn't make a pirate game separate from the AC franchise. It most likely has to do with money. The AC name sells. If ACIV was named Pirates!: Black Flag and it was an original IP, I can't see it selling as well. Then you take into account that this has become an annualized franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if the is turns into next year's AC game. AC is basically Ubisoft's CoD. Haven't they been talking about annualizing Far Cry too?

Eusis

Ubisoft's coming very close to epitomizing what I don't like out of the industry, aren't they? Not that there isn't space for more realistic and grounded games, but they're kind of insinuating the reverse isn't true, not for them and not for their desired budget levels I imagine.

The main difference would be that Osiris was supposed to be like SotC in Egypt, so presumably all the giant monster stuff has been removed..

What? That sounds awesome. I wish someone would just rip off SoTC already. The closest thing too it was the titan fights in Lords of Shadow.

ironcreed

Banned
Put it in Egypt and I'm there. Talk about fresh territory that needs to be explored more in gaming. Egypt certainly fits that bill.

Dysun

Egypt and climbing pyramids is something I've always wanted from a future AC game. Do it Ubi, and follow that up with Shogunate Japan

Zalman

I dislike Assassin's Creed, but this is a setting that would capture my interest... Provided they do it right, of course.

Good god I hope so. I've been wanting an AC game set in Egypt since after AC II.

Are you willing to get that at the expense of what sounded like an awesome new IP also set in Egypt? I like AC as much as the next guy, but I want new IP not just games retrofitted to fit into the AC universe.

Edit: What's the over/under on there being a set piece where the apple of eden is used to part the Red Sea?

SJRB

Gold Member
Of course it is. The moment I first saw those screenshots I knew it was an AC game.

Scrabble

I don't even know how an Egyptian setting would work, a flat desert sounds kind of boring. And didn't AC3's director out right say Egypt would be a terrible setting? Kind of strange to say that if that's where the series is heading.

Top Bottom