• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oslo, Norway Mosque Shooting; possible link to 8chan, being investigated as terrorism

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009
This trend is becoming quite problematic.

One person was injured during the attack at the Al-Noor Islamic centre in Baerum, around 20km from Oslo.
Police said the gunman was a “young, white man” who appeared to have acted alone.
Several hours later it was reported that a young woman had been found dead at the suspect’s home and that he was suspected of murder.

Assistant chief of police Rune Skjold told a press conference: “He is around 20 years old, a Norwegian citizen from the area.”
The incident at the mosque took place shortly after 4pm local time on Saturday, the day before the celebration of the holiest Islamic holiday, Eid-al-Adha or “Feast of the Sacrifice”.
Irfan Mushtaq, a board member, told Norwegian media that members of the congregation had overpowered the gunman, who was wearing a uniform and a helmet.

Good on the people for overpowering him. They likely saved many lives. The only injury was one male.

Further details: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/10/world/europe/norway-mosque-shooting.html

8chan post was associated with it. The body of a dead woman was also found, linked to the shooter. She was identified as a family member of his.

Edit: another source linked the post to 4chan: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/norway-mosque-shooting-attack-suspect-philip-manshaus-christchurch-el-paso-4chan-a9052106.html?amp

Norwegian police reported online posting hours prior to attack. Will update with exact details on this as they become available.

Last edited:

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
20 year-old get overpowered by a 75 years old... I wonder if the grandpa was a badass or the terrorist was a weak-ass. Good conclusion anyway.
Now ask Clint Eastwood to make a movie about it. ^_^

DKehoe

Jun 19, 2007
Glad no one was killed. Hopefully the injured person wasn’t too badly hurt.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I think it's a little more than just problematic. It's silly when those NPC terms that used when someone misgenders someone or calls someone else a retard online are applied to something as extreme as this. It's trying to give a word more power than it really has. Kind of like diluting the word racism, overuse, underplayed.

Glad this was adverted, and that 75 year old man is hard as nails. They don't make them like they used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucyou
Dec 15, 2011
But if 8chan is offline, it can't be related. That's the point of taking it down. Because it's the catalyst, right?

So now whilst 8chan is offline, the entire problem is solved isn't it?

Isn't it... ?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Oner

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009
I think it's a little more than just problematic. It's silly when those NPC terms that used when someone misgenders someone or calls someone else a retard online are applied to something as extreme as this. It's trying to give a word more power than it really has. Kind of like diluting the word racism, overuse, underplayed.

Glad this was adverted, and that 75 year old man is hard as nails. They don't make them like they used to.
Was referring to the 8chan/online white supremacy linkage as problematic.

The attack itself is obviously horrendous.

But if 8chan is offline, it can't be related. That's the point of taking it down. Because it's the catalyst, right?

Isn't it... ?
Another source reported 4chan, however I could not confirm.

The broader issue of concern is online radicalization of young white males. Shutting one website will obviously not solve the issue, but it might remove the platform for others getting influenced.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Another source reported 4chan, however I could not confirm.
Wow, they relocating their radicalisation program really quickly huh?
Damn, better shut another website down so the entire problem can be solved.

The broader issue of concern is online radicalization of young white males. Shutting one website will obviously not solve the issue, but it might remove the platform for others getting influenced.
Ah, so only certain radicalization is problematic.

Well, with air-tight solutions such as these I feel a whole lot better.
Whew!

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
Wow, they relocating their radicalisation program really quickly huh?
Damn, better shut another website down so the entire problem can be solved.

Ah, so only certain radicalization is problematic.

Well, with air-tight solutions such as these I feel a whole lot better.
Whew!
Well, would you like the police to put the same effort into that kind of radicalization as they do into gangs? Or do you want a different approach?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Well, would you like the police to put the same effort into that kind of radicalization as they do into gangs? Or do you want a different approach?
This is disengenious.
My point is that it is implicitly stated that some radicalizations are more equal/problematic than others.
Diverting from this reference by injecting the term 'gangs' into the topic reads as deliberately distracting.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017

Isn't it... ?
This would be a good point, if anyone actually said that

Reactions: Lamel

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009
This is disengenious.
My point is that it is implicitly stated that some radicalizations are more equal/problematic than others.
Diverting from this reference by injecting the term 'gangs' into the topic reads as deliberately distracting.
That’s your misreading of the post, and an accusation without evidence if you will . Of course all types of radicalization are detrimental.

We are in a topic about a specific incident linked to 8chan. Similar to 2 others prior (Christchurch, El Paso). Let’s not plug our ears and pretend there isn’t a problematic linkage here.

Dec 15, 2011
That’s your misreading of the post, and an accusation without evidence if you will .
No, not only did I read it right, I read it word for word and I combined it with your post history.
It is unfortunate for you that what you try to paint as me not paying attention to what you say is actully the result of me paying more attention to what you say/said than you might like.

Of course all types of radicalization are detrimental.
Odd that it's only when challenged do you feel the need to make such a point evident. When exclusively under your own volition, you chose not to.
Given the sensitivity exhibited when the shoe is on the other foot, I find it very telling how cavalier the same people can be when it suits them to be.

We are in a topic about a specific incident linked to 8chan. Similar to 2 others prior (Christchurch, El Paso). Let’s not plug our ears and pretend there isn’t a problematic linkage here.
Oh, so it's definitely due to 8chan ... that's currently offline.

But how can that be? The website is offline.
The chain has been broken!
The problem has been solved!
Hallelujah... ?

No..... ?

But we'll just carry on regardless.. ? Because.... ............ ....... ...... .. .. ?

But that was never said.
Hence the term 'implicit'.

This would be a good point, if anyone actually said that
And the media frenzy, blaming 8chan in the last week.
Because, as rock-and-roll, video-nasties and computer-games have always proved: when the media latches onto a scapegoat, it does so at the expense of everything else.

But, if you want to pretend that the last 7 days never happened then that's on you.

---

Now, I've never been radicalised, but a common trait is to find a target for blame, a scapegoat, to project the cause of society's issues onto.

"If you stare into the abyss.."

Last edited:

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
No, not only did I read it right, I read it word for word and I combined it with your post history.
It is unfortunate for you that what you try to paint as me not paying attention to what you say is actully the result of me paying more attention to what you say/said than you might like.

Odd that it's only when challenged do you feel the need to make such evident point.
Given the sensitivity exhibited when the shoe is on the other foot, I find it very telling how cavalier the same people can be when it suits them to be.

Hallelujah... ?

No..... ?

But we'll just carry on regardless.. ? Because.... ............ ....... ...... .. .. ?

Because, as rock-and-roll, video-nasties and computer-games have always proved: when the media latches onto a scapegoat, it does so at the expense of everything else.

But, if you want to pretend that the last 7 days never happened then that's on you.

---

Now, I've never been radicalised, but a common trait is to find a target for blame, a scapegoat, to project the cause of society's issues onto.

So you have nothing to say then. Hopefully you are too much of a coward to get radicalized into violence.

Last edited:

Sign

Jun 4, 2012

Got to shut down the wrongthink centers before the 2020 election! I'm sure next time they will get the story straight to nab 4chan.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
So you have nothing to say then
It's remarkable how you can quote someone saying a number of things and say they have nothing to say.

I made on-topic, valid points, I justified and substantiated them when challenged.

That is me saying something.
You mischaracterising it in order to be dismissive and smear doesn't make it so.

Hopefully you are too much of a coward to get radicalized into violence.
And, this is some incredible bottom-of-the barrel pettiness and projection right here. Outstanding!

---
Invitation:
If any other posters with a reputation for deeply disengenuous rhetoric and partisan stances would like to jump in, please do!

Last edited:

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009

Odd that it's only when challenged do you feel the need to make such a point evident. When exclusively under your own volition, you chose not to.

Hallelujah... ?

No..... ?

---

No one needs to state something as obvious as “all radicalization is bad.” You’re in a thread about a specific topic, using preconceived notions about me to assume that I am implying “8chan is the cause.”

The point of the thread is not even about 8chan specifically. It’s about the alarming trend of online radicalization of young white males. It could be 4chan, Facebook, YouTube etc, but it remains a very real threat.

Please don’t start again with holier-than-thou intellectual masturbation that you inject into every thread.

Got to shut down the wrongthink centers before the 2020 election! I'm sure next time they will get the story straight to nab 4chan.
Is there a source on this?

I ask because it was also reported that the post was on 4chan. I’d rather link the most accurate story in the OP.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
No one needs to state something as obvious as “all radicalization is bad.” You’re in a thread about a specific topic, using preconceived notions about me to assume that I am implying “8chan is the cause.”
Yeah, um, you can choose to ignore the point I made in my earlier reply to you all you like. But it still stands.
Handwaving and doubling down after the fact is a bold move, Cotton. Especially when it's on the same page as what you're trying to ignore happens to be on.

The point of the thread is not even about 8chan specifically.
Oh, so that's why you put "8chan" in the title of the thread, the content of the OP and have since chosen to mention it repeatedly?

You seem to be following Joaqin Castro's line of questionable logic.

It’s about the alarming trend of online radicalization of young white males. It could be 4chan, Facebook, YouTube etc, but it remains a very real threat.
Ah, we're back to that implicitness again.
Going back to double down on what you just denied you were doing. Outstanding work!

Please don’t start again with holier-than-thou intellectual masturbation that you inject into every thread.
I've not resorted to labelling anyone - but those that I've challenged have wasted no time in dishing out smears towards me.
Curious!

Invitation:
If any other posters with a reputation for deeply disengenuous rhetoric and partisan stances would like to jump in, please do!

Last edited:

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009
Wait, you think the trend of white people attacking innocents was problematic, or were the deaths of these victims problematic?

Party of Empathy™
The trend of online radicalization.

It goes without saying that the attack itself is "problematic." It's obviously horrible for any and all victims.

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
Is there a source on this?

I ask because it was also reported that the post was on 4chan. I’d rather link the most accurate story in the OP.
If you are asking for a link to the story quoted in the tweet it can be found here.

Neither 8chan nor 4chan plans these attacks. There is no planning on these sites. The attempt at getting these places shut down is entirely about trying to shut down speech outside the purview of the mainstream. It is about shutting down wrongthink and nothing else, hence them not shutting down facebook for streaming a video of a guy killing 50 people.

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah, um, you can choose to ignore the point I made in my earlier reply to you all you like. But it still stands.
Handwaving and doubling down after the fact is a bold move, Cotton. Especially when it's on the same page as what you're trying to ignore happens to be on.

Oh, so that's why you put "8chan" in the title of the thread, the content of the OP and have since chosen to mention it repeatedly?

Are you also going to play the "I choose to selectively ignore the last 7 days' events" game too?

Ah, we're back to that implicitness again.
Going back to double down on what you just denied you were doing. Outstanding work!

I've not resorted to labelling anyone - but those that I've challenged have wasted no time in dishing out smears towards me.
Curious!

Invitation:
"8chan", as was reported. If it is another online website, I have no problem placing that name. Again the broader problem is online radicalization of young white males leading to committing acts of violence; it could be 4chan, 8chan, facebook, youtube, neogaf, resetera etc. If you have anything actually substantive to say about the topic, please do. Otherwise I'm not interested in a back-and-forth discussion about your debate superiority complex.

If you are asking for a link to the story quoted in the tweet it can be found here.

Neither 8chan nor 4chan plans these attacks. There is no planning on these sites. The attempt at getting these places shut down is entirely about trying to shut down speech outside the purview of the mainstream. It is about shutting down wrongthink and nothing else, hence them not shutting down facebook for streaming a video of a guy killing 50 people.
No one said that the websites "plan" the attacks. My assertion is that they are a platform that allow propagation of radical ideas.

I think facebook should be rightly criticized for that incident as well.

So obvious that you almost completely gloss over it and begin with the inferences about your ideological opponents.

Like I said, Party of Empathy™
Yes, it is that obvious. No one in their right mind would think contrary to this being terrible.

Last edited:

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
No one said that the websites "plan" the attacks. My assertion is that they are a platform that allow propagation of radical ideas.
These ideas have been around since the founding of the country. If you actually want to address the problem of people acting increasingly nihilistic you need to address the actual culture of the country.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
"It's totally not specifically about [SCAPEGOAT A] and [SPECIFIC GROUP B] and it's really obvious and I shouldn't need to spell it out. How dare you besmirch my pureness in such distasteful ways you [PLAYGROUND-LEVEL SMEAR C].

Now that' I've said that, I want to ensure this discussion returns to focusing on [SCAPEGOAT A] and [SPECIFIC GROUP B].
"

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Oner and oagboghi2
Dec 15, 2011
Hopefully you are too much of a coward to get radicalized into violence.
What a cowardly thing to resort to in this exchange.
Attempting the double-gotcha. Except two negatives don't always make a positive.

Below the surface-level pettiness, we can read that for one not to be a coward one must be radicalized into violence.
This is a deeply questionable stance and, presumably, if someone is making a thread and claiming part of its purpose is to 'start a conversation', ask questions and look into factors concerning radicalization, they wouldn't choose to overlook such a statement, blithely presented in their own thread and so relevant to things that claim such concern over.

And yet... ....

Can you hear that?

No. Me neither.

:unsure:

Last edited:

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
Attempting the double-gotcha. Except two negatives don't always make a positive.

Below the surface-level pettiness, we can read that for one not to be a coward one must be radicalized into violence.
This is a deeply questionable stance and, presumably, if someone is making a thread and claiming part of its purpose is to 'start a conversation', ask questions and look into factors concerning radicalization, they wouldn't choose to overlook such a statement, blithely presented in their own thread and so relevant to things that claim such concern over.

And yet... ....

Can you hear that?

No. Me neither.

:unsure:
I think that I started reading this, but then i yawned and forgot what the first sentence said. I'd be happy to read something of value (and on topic) from you though, but this isn't on my radar.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Jan 12, 2018
The world is amazing, and not going to shit. We need to shut down the internet so all of our problems will go away.
Or wait until Europe & Norway are entirely Muslim. Then there will be no evil white supremacist terrorists to ruin the ambient Utopia.

• Fire
Reactions: TheGreatYosh

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Let's be real, if these websites were hosting Muslim kids saying radical ideas but not actually doing any planning of sorts on the sites. No one here would be complaining about culled freedom of speech or thought crimes.
Tell us more, fortune teller.

If the premise of your argument is that you surely know how a group of people would react to a hypothetical situation...

Jonirenicus

Jun 23, 2019
8chan was (and still is) offline. Shame on the MSM for yet again spreading fake news, and shame on you OP for propagating it.

Maybe random online websites aren't actually the problem.
Stop noticing these things, they're just coincidences.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Folks are so hung up on pedantry that they're sidestepping that this is yet another islamophobe who took in loads of fearmongering and felt compelled to go on a shooting spree in response. Wherever he got the info, it illustrates the problem with giving any credence to that anti-Muslim paranoia... it doesn't take much to leap from ranting about the supposed evils of Muslim immigration to being someone like the Oslo or Christchurch shooters.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Folks are so hung up on pedantry that they're sidestepping that this is yet another islamophobe who took in loads of fearmongering and felt compelled to go on a shooting spree in response. Wherever he got the info, it illustrates the problem with giving any credence to that anti-Muslim paranoia... it doesn't take much to leap from ranting about the supposed evils of Muslim immigration to being someone like the Oslo or Christchurch shooters.
Imagine being so clueless that you feel the propagation of outright false information from the news media to fit political biases is “pedantry”. You feel that shitposting boards are a bane to our society, but feel that fake news from the people that are meant be purveyors of truth is fine?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Oner

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Imagine being so clueless that you feel the propagation of outright false information from the news media to fit political biases is “pedantry”. You feel that shitposting boards are a bane to our society, but feel that fake news from the people that are meant be purveyors of truth is fine?
You're assuming it's a deliberate, malicious attempt to distort things, but there's no tangible evidence of that. Sometimes it can be as simple as a journalist making a mistake. Blast that, but don't start inventing conspiracies you know you can't prove.

Tell me, if he didn't get his islamophobia from an online community, where do you think he got it from? Talking to his racist grandpa a little too often?