• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Osman; the spiritual Strider sequel you probably didn't realize existed...but what are other examples?

VGEsoterica

For some reason it seems like some games just fly WAY under the radar on release. Strider and it's sequels were all huge games...but did you know that the Director of Strider (Kouichi Yotsui) and other ex-Capcom development staff went on do develop a spiritual sequel to Strider named Osman?

If you were intro Strider then Osman will be right up your alley. It's got everything Strider has plus more...and it's a weird and wild story set in the future where it seems like the Soviet Union became futuristic. Yeah sounds weird right? Well it 100% is.

But holy shit is Osman quite possibly the hardest arcade game I have ever played. (outside of bullet hell shooters but they should really be their own category of difficulty lol) If you were actually sinking quarters into a cabinet you'd most likely either have to have a giant burlap sack of them or you'd run out of money before you finished the game.

But as far as spiritual sequels are concerned Osman is a) amazing and b) basically forgotten about!

But I am curious...what other spiritual sequels came and went without much notice even if they were legit awesome games? Because "spiritual successors" are such an interesting sub-genre in gaming

Concern

But we have a Strider on Xbox/Ps4

Dolphin Catches GIF

Kuranghi

It works even if you DONT balance a Hyper Neo Geo 64 cart in a Nintendo 64 cart slot! At least it should...

Every time I see the thumbnail I think of it falling over really violently two seconds after you took that picture and then you run from behind the tripod and knock it over while trying to catch the cart.

Cool video, as always.

SpiceRacz

Never heard of that game before. Looks fun. Run Saber on SNES is another Strider rip-off that's actually quite good.

Last edited:

Neff

If you were intro Strider then Osman will be right up your alley.

I adore Strider but nah. Osman is too janky, brutal, and trades Strider's effortless sense of style for sheer weirdness. Interesting game, no doubt, but Strider is on another level imo despite coming first.

Run Saber on SNES is another Strider rip-off that's actually quite good.

Yeah I picked it up cheap on a whim way back and was surprised by how much fun it was. It's clearly a lesser clone but it had some neat ideas and played well.

Top Bottom