• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Ray-Traced Games Discussion

VFXVeteran

Banned
All:

So I've played the new Crysis Remastered and thought I would open up a thread for comparing and contrasting current games using RT and see what opinions people have on which one looks the best at this current time (no future games should be compared unless they have been released). This thread is purely subjective although any objective tech comments are welcome.

Out of the 4 games that use RTX heavily. Here's my take.

Crysis: Remastered - best use of GI/AO so far. It's even more impressive that the GI solution is software based. This bodes well for games that may leverage this kind of tech. UE5 is probably very close to this implementation and at first, I was skeptical but seeing as though the results are so stunning, I'll take it. The 8k textures are pretty much the best quality textures I've seen to date. This isn't suprising as most games don't support 8k. But seeing them look so detailed up close is a marvel to look at. No PBR - yuck. No volume clouds. RT reflections look clean and accurate.

Metro: Exodus - Excellent use of area lights (DLC only). I sincerely hope this RT technique will find it's way to Cyberpunk because it looks amazing. GI solution is crude and not very good. Low res textures. OK PBR, but really ugly art direction. No RT reflections.

Control - Best use of AO and contact shadows for small objects. OK use of GI/AO but very limited in scope as there is only indoors rendering. Low res textures. Great use of volume fog. Pretty ugly art direction. RT reflections look clean and accurate.

Battlefield 5 - Typical current gen engine with just RT reflections.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Current gen with RT shadows. Still using baked lighting.

WINNER: Crysis: Remastered. It's the top dog right now. While it has it's shortcomings with deleted graphics features like volume clouds, old style POM, and other things like physics, etc.. there is no denying that Crytek attacked the right problems to get that extra boost in visuals. Coupled with excellent art direction, it's not hard to beat the other games in visuals.

Let's see if Cyberpunk 2077 can take the crown in November.

UPDATE:

People wanted to see screenshots of what I am talking about in Crysis Remastered. Here you go:

This first pic is a true offline render of path traced GI and an area light that's a square. Notice how the highlight on the sphere is a square. This implementation was approximated in Metro: Exodus with their RT emissive lights and just what Cyberpunk needs. Now notice the red hue that is coloring the shaded backside of the sphere. This is what we look for when a game uses good GI approximation. Crysis does it the most accurate that I've seen.

mb94AZ8.png

Now, look at Crysis colors when there is no direct sunlight and only GI:

VHfqo3L.jpg

Here the ground is shaded green tint and you can see no HALO artifacts that plague the screenspace AO techniques, yet the weapons/leaves look grounded.

sZbummq.jpg

High res 8k textures! A FPS never looked this good up close.

tA3Ds8s.jpg

il6wehu.jpg

nyHvB0r.jpg

Self-shadowing of the character and the leaves have excellent resolution not exhibiting any artifacts.

sJQSxiP.jpg

A broad view of the foliage and trees all in shadow and how none of them are too dark due to the great approximation of the GI

6FIsW4l.jpg

Great shot here with light reflecting off the tower evenly. Great atmospheric lighting with mia scattering.

31sU2bG.jpg

Here's a shot at how AO is for free with GI and light doesn't bleed through under the jeep. Also take note of the reflection of the red dot sight under the jeep as well.

djFoX2R.jpg

Beautiful natural look to seeing inside a forest. Nothing looks better yet.

VSVYdpP.jpg

Last edited:
I seriously gotta check out crysis again. I think control was my favorite raytraced game I've personally played thus far. I would spend so much time in photo mode or just staring at certain things in awe.

GymWolf

The only real impressive rtx stuff i watched is that tech demo from nvidia with photorealistic graphics, so nothing that we are gonna see during this gen most probably.

That and maybe the ue5 engine demo but if i remember well, that was like bootleg rtx...

Last edited:

Arun1910

I though the Crysis RTX looked crap.

I actually enjoyed the BFV RTX the most, having fire an explosions reflect off puddles of water and your gun looks so good.

Metro and Control have ugly art direction? 😐

I definitely have high hopes for the RT in Cyberpunk though. And frankly, I think it looks impressive in Watch Dogs too.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Metro and Control have ugly art direction? Yeah ok.

Control suffers from having a very limited color palette range. And there isn't much detail in the game's assets (i.e. textures). Props are too clean and the entire presentation is pretty grainy.

Metro has horrible textures and really low res normal maps that look bland up close. The overall world is pretty desolate without any variety of scenery. I would have liked to see some different color schemes for the various places.

This is all in my opinion of course. There is no right or wrong taste when judging art direction.

Shtof

Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Say whay you will about the game, but the technical side of it is easily the best looking and performing game out there.

As a package: Control, by a large margin. The Bureau doesn´t have the most creative art, but the abstract zones and intense fights really show the graphical muscle the game`s engine has with RT.
Crysis Remastered doesn`t even look as good as the old "Enhanced"-Mod......

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Another cringe vfxveteran thread. The fact that you just said Crysis has better art direction than Metro,Control rtx aside, is absolute dumb shit. I swear your tag has to be satire. Art isn't just mashing high fidelity graphic assets into a game, besides the fact that even a pixelated game can be ten times more artistic than Crysis. It's how you do it that matters and Crysis while it looks incredible it was always just a show case, not something I'd ever call, art.

Last edited:

DJT123

CyperPunk is what's going to sell raytracing the most. I'm really curious if there's going to a sizeable jump that makes everyone do a double take. If that happens I'll get a new Nvidia graphics card.

It's one those things you have to see first hand or hear from someone really knowledgeable though. There will be a lot of noise and lots of conflicting interests trying to play it down, just like those playing it up.

Last edited:
Out the ones I played (Metro, Control, Battlefield, Quake, Tomb Raider), it's hands-down CONTROL.

I will need to use that 10EUR voucher from Epic and try Crysis Remaster just for raytracing. The game as a package is more of a demaster / disaster than remaster.

VFXVeteran VFXVeteran , welcome back!

GymWolf

Metro and Control have ugly art direction? Yeah ok.
Even more interesting is the bit about crysis having excellent art design, the game with the most generic island\human enemy\alien enemies combo ever...

Well at least ihe didn't listed stuff like quake 2 or minecraft that still looks like highly polished turds even with the best rtx treatment you can get :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think Control makes the best use of RT. How you feel about the art direction overall is up for debate, I personally love it though the character models and animations are maybe not up to AAA standards, and like you said it's limited and artificial.

I am not expecting Cyberpunk to take the crown, as RT was kind of a late addition and it doesn't seem like a very complete implementation.

Maybe they don't actually count, but for me the best implementations are Quake 2 and Minecraft RTX (but I get that OP is talking about modern games that are built with raytracing features rather than going all-out on path-tracing).

Last edited:
Quake 2's recent implementation is by far the most impressive. It's the one game, along with Minecraft where RT actually stands out.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Metro and Control have ugly art direction? 😐

I definitely have high hopes for the RT in Cyberpunk though. And frankly, I think it looks impressive in Watch Dogs too.

I didn't play Control, but agree on Metro. I really enjoyed the game itself but the art direction was too bland and colorless for me to appreciate the technical aspects. I too really look forward to seeing Cyberpunk. I'm a sucker for art direction and the world of CP really appeals to me.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Just got me thinking did ND basically steal this scene? And im not talking about the laughing.

Damn, I think that scene permanently scarred me psychologically - so visceral and brutal.

BTW - Welcome back OP, Great thread.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Look at the reflection!! Ray-tracing baby! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
13-Sentinels-Preview_023.png

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think it’s indisputably Minecraft. Regardless of how one feels about the art style, it is, by far, the most impressive, wide-ranging implementation I’ve seen.

The OP puts a game to each category (and generally, each game only does that category), but Minecraft seems to be doing it all, and more ambitiously than anything else. Which, it kind of helps when you look, in some ways, more primitive than an N64 game, but still. I think it’s a sneak peak at the future of the tech, when it’s not so restricted.

Katajx

Gold Member
Control suffers from having a very limited color palette range. And there isn't much detail in the game's assets (i.e. textures). Props are too clean and the entire presentation is pretty grainy.

Metro has horrible textures and really low res normal maps that look bland up close. The overall world is pretty desolate without any variety of scenery. I would have liked to see some different color schemes for the various places.

This is all in my opinion of course. There is no right or wrong taste when judging art direction.

I think some screenshots would go great for your examples to illustrate your points.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
But Crysis remastered runs like shit does it not? It's not even better looking than modded versions of the original based on what I've seen.

Top Bottom