• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media OT: TV GAF 20-20 Vision

Kadayi

Probable Replicant & GIF PIMP
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net

Figured New Year/New Decade Time for a dedicated Community TV thread.

What have you been watching? What did you think of it? Was it any good? Let GAF know.

If it's a new show or one that people might not have heard of post an IMDB Link & Maybe a trailer as well

Also Keep spoilers under wraps especially for new shows 🤔

Anyway, I'll kick off with what I've been recently watching: -

The Last Kingdom

Post NYE and suffering from a bit of illness I found myself bedridden so for a few days so occupied my time with rewatching Seasons 1 - 3 of The Last Kingdom via the Netflix.

Not quite as showy as The History Channels 'Vikings' TLK is still a pretty entertaining watch as far as quasi-historical dramas go Originally a BBC funded show, Netflix came in with them on Season 2 and the bigger budget that brought has certainly helped it through its retained the rustic charm of Season 1 with everyone wandering around in shit most of the time (Monty Python approved). Written by Historical Author Bernard Cornwell (just releasing book 12 this year..take note GRRM) the story ostensively revolves around the adventures and travails of Uhtred of Bebbanburg the second son of Saxon noble who finds himself being brought up by Danish Vikings and straddles the uneasy divide between their Pagan ways and the Christian English around the period of Alfreds ascent to the Throne as the King of Wessex and the nullifying of the Danish Expansion into England.

The supporting characters can be a little broad-brush at times, though not without their charms (it's clear the cast have a good rapport that translates to the screen) and the show isn't afraid to throw the odd curveball in now and then in terms of plot twists here and there. What I particularly like is the fact that Utred is oftentimes both a complete dick and his worst enemy without necessarily straying into pure antihero territory, which is kind of refreshing.

If you're hankering for a bit of Sword fighting Post Witcher then you can't go far wrong with some Viking/Saxon fisticuffs. Season 4 should hopefully be landing sometime later this year and I fully expect it to get renewed for a 5th as it's pretty popular and highly regarded.

Destiny is all. ⚔

Last edited:

SirKicksalot

Jan 9, 2018
Messiah on Netflix, from the assistant director of Matrix Reloaded

It's about the rise of a guy who might be Jesus. He manages to destabilize the world while CIA tries figure out who he really is.
I managed to watch all 10 episodes in one day. It has issues - mostly pacing and my aversion to the shitty vibe of small-town America - but I'd recommend it.
At least it's original and has good ideas.
The Messiah (OR IS HE???) has a very strong presence and is intriguing to the end. The Middle East part of the show is mostly kino, the American part is... not so good. While the Middle East evokes stuff like Argo and Munich, 'Murrica has a shitty Pure Flix vibe, which I'm sure is on purpose but I'm allergic to it.
The middle episodes are poorly paced and the main character is the worst. But! A week later I'm still intrigued and would like to see more. Now that some time has passed and the dead weight of the middle section is forgotten, I have a better overview of what the show was going for. It's a good story with good characters which badly needs some editing.

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I have been watching the Korean show Reply 1988 with my girlfriend on Netflix. Korean culture is really charming. I get a little tired having to read so much while also trying to take everything in visually, as well as having subtler aspects of the culture explained to me as I watch, it can feel like a learning assignment but the content is a breath of fresh air compared to the garbage we make over here.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Kadayi

Kadayi

Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Undone

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/undone/s01 100% Critics 93% Audience

Caught this on the recommendation of Chris Ryan from the Watch Podcast and have to say I wasn't disappointed. Beautifully animated using rotoscoping (something GAF might know from Richard Linklakers A Scanner Darkly), the series follows the life of Alma (Rosa Salazar) a teaching assistant at a Nursery in San Antonio who wakes up from a Coma following a Car Accident to find her Dead Father asking for her help in solving the mystery of his death in 2002 as he believed he was murdered for his scientific research. It's a pretty crazy story overall, that leans heavily into magical realism (thus the Rotoscoping) but is at its heart as with any good story is as much about Alma navigating herself as it is about navigating her new reality and those around her. A compelling story, with some great performances that shine through the animation as well as some extremely touching human moments. Highly recommended. Season 2 already confirmed. :messenger_sun:

Last edited:
Reactions: Unknown Quantity

Makariel

Jan 14, 2018
Watching The Witcher season 1 on Netflix, can recommend it, enjoyed it very much and look forward to season 2.

Started with Thieves of the Wood on Netflix, which tells a version of the story of Jan de Lichte, who was a deserter, murderer and highwayman in Flanders. I've heard of the story before, so curious about the Netflix-interpretation. So far the costumes look nice, the corrupt aristocrats are corrupt and bastardly, the common folk have mud in their faces and clothes so you can tell they are commoners. Jan can just walk around the city with his hood up and armed in broad daylight and nobody bats an eyelid. So I don't think it scores 100% on historical accuracy, will report back after I saw a few more episodes.

Makariel

Jan 14, 2018
Thieves of the wood turns out to be rather boring. So stopped that about halfway through the first season.

Now started watching Mr Robot, haven't seen that before so I'm starting with season one, just about 5 years behind the curve.

• Thoughtful

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
Messiah on Netflix, from the assistant director of Matrix Reloaded

It's about the rise of a guy who might be Jesus. He manages to destabilize the world while CIA tries figure out who he really is.
I managed to watch all 10 episodes in one day. It has issues - mostly pacing and my aversion to the shitty vibe of small-town America - but I'd recommend it.
At least it's original and has good ideas.
The Messiah (OR IS HE???) has a very strong presence and is intriguing to the end. The Middle East part of the show is mostly kino, the American part is... not so good. While the Middle East evokes stuff like Argo and Munich, 'Murrica has a shitty Pure Flix vibe, which I'm sure is on purpose but I'm allergic to it.
The middle episodes are poorly paced and the main character is the worst. But! A week later I'm still intrigued and would like to see more. Now that some time has passed and the dead weight of the middle section is forgotten, I have a better overview of what the show was going for. It's a good story with good characters which badly needs some editing.
Just no. I also saw this and it was a gigantic mess.

Makariel

Jan 14, 2018
Mr Robot season 1 is definitely worth watching. Looking forward to season 2 (only 4 years behind then)

Watched Picard the first two episodes. Jesus fucking christ on a pogostick, that series has a hard time to get going. Two episodes in and we haven't even met the crew of the... "Firefly" we know from the trailers yet. So from what I gather Picard is part of the JJ Abramsverse? I'm confused by various elements, but I'm not a turbonerd-trekkie and only watched TOS back in the day when it was the only watchable thing on TV in the afternoon. So I have more of a connection to Kirk, Spock and Bones rather than Picard and his crew, albeit watching a few TNG episodes over the years on Netflix while ironing shirts etc.

The positives: the first episode is not as bad as the opener for Discovery was, but that is not a high bar to cross. Patrick Stewart still has more charisma than most of the rest of the cast combined.

The negatives: so many things that seem odd even for me as casual TNG viewer. Like why do they have TV again? I remember it being a plot point in a TNG episode that TV has pretty much died out in the 20XXs which caused a revived movie or tv start to be a bit freaked out about his lost relevance. Why is this super secret special police that Romulans use to scare their children so utterly terrible at their job? Why is Picard so sad about Data? From what I remember of TNG Data had moments of friendship with almost every important crewmember of the Enterprise, with one big exception: Picard. So having him so crazy about Data that he has near-erotic dreams about the android is just weird. Plus some junk science. Why is Picard's romulan housekeeper (and more) Irish? A number of attempts at humor been falling flat so far. TNG was never really "funny" but it had sometimes a sense of humor. This is just a bit sad so far. Oh and why can't they call androids androids anymore? Suddenly they are called "synths", for no good reason that I could tell.

So two episodes in Picard is still stuck on his vineyard and is grumpy about those kids on his lawn (starfleet). If he doesn't go trekking the stars in episode 3 I do start to wonder what the whole point of this series is.

Makariel

Jan 14, 2018
At least they got into space now, but half of episode 3 was so boring I was starting to check Instagram instead. They introduced the captain and part of the core crew. Fucking finally. The captain of the ship can be adequately described as han solo by the way of wolverine. In between the flashbacks they are now also starting to lean on some prophecy of the future.

All that reminded me that there are entire seasons of star trek the next generation on Netflix that I've never watched before. And while they might not have aged all that well in terms of special effects or set designs, it is much more enjoyable to watch than Picard so far. What also strikes me is how different the starfleet is depicted. TNG is much more positive, a future when humanity sorted most of our shit out and lives in abundance and prosperity, with no need for money or silly notions of being motivated by possessions. When they look at politicial issues of the day they used conflict between alien races for drawing parallels, but not starfleet. In Picard this is all different, suddenly people are again divided into those who have and those who don't and rich folks on vineyards vs poor folks in trailer parks. This is quite jarring and so different from star trek of old.

• Thoughtful

xrnzaaas

Dec 9, 2013
Currently watching The New Pope (1 episode left) and it reminds me of the last season of Hannibal. There seems to be too much focus on purely artistic scenes that aren't super relevant to the plot. It also takes a lot of time before
Lenny actually wakes up.
Oh and one more annoyance - I don't mind nudity in mature tv shows, but the amount of unnecessary nudity this season is off the charts. I get it that this season wants to market itself as being provocative, but enough is enough. ;)

• Thoughtful

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
Discovered Father Ted a few months back and ended up watching it 3x through.

Kadayi

Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Technically Youtube rather than TV, though apparently the series is available on Amazon Prime 🤔

I've been watching Bon Appetit Magazines Gourmet Makes series

IMDB 9.2

Each episode Bon Appetit New York Test Kitchen Chef Claire Saffitz is tasked with reverse engineering and producing Gourmet versions of popular sweets or snacks (First episode she tackles Twinkies, but later episodes she tackles Twizzlers, Skittles and other delights)

First and foremost it should be stated that albeit this is a show about cooking, it's not really a cooking show in the traditional sense of 'follow this recipe' (though that is included at the end) versus a fascinating insight into process and approach as Claire attempts to wrangle a litany of mass-produced goods of all shapes, sizes and colours and arrive at a remotely achievable home kitchen equivalent through trial & error whilst occasionally assisted by her fellow Test Kitchen Chefs in assessing her progress as well as offering suggestions and criticism. It takes a few episodes to get going, but when it starts to hit its groove it really becomes an immensely enjoyable binge-watch as Claire wrestles with her challenges from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows.

What I like in particular (aside from the colourful cast of personalities that populate the Test Kitchen) is how the show its own way does make you begin to think about the experience of a snack, from the crunchiness of a Dorito, though to the crisp snap of a Twix. Highly recommended.