• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OT: TV GAF 20-20 Vision

Kadayi

Banned
yUR1FJz.jpg

Figured New Year/New Decade Time for a dedicated Community TV thread.

What have you been watching? What did you think of it? Was it any good? Let GAF know.

If it's a new show or one that people might not have heard of post an IMDB Link & Maybe a trailer as well

Also Keep spoilers under wraps especially for new shows 🤔

Anyway, I'll kick off with what I've been recently watching: -

The Last Kingdom

Post NYE and suffering from a bit of illness I found myself bedridden so for a few days so occupied my time with rewatching Seasons 1 - 3 of The Last Kingdom via the Netflix.

Not quite as showy as The History Channels 'Vikings' TLK is still a pretty entertaining watch as far as quasi-historical dramas go Originally a BBC funded show, Netflix came in with them on Season 2 and the bigger budget that brought has certainly helped it through its retained the rustic charm of Season 1 with everyone wandering around in shit most of the time (Monty Python approved). Written by Historical Author Bernard Cornwell (just releasing book 12 this year..take note GRRM) the story ostensively revolves around the adventures and travails of Uhtred of Bebbanburg the second son of Saxon noble who finds himself being brought up by Danish Vikings and straddles the uneasy divide between their Pagan ways and the Christian English around the period of Alfreds ascent to the Throne as the King of Wessex and the nullifying of the Danish Expansion into England.

The supporting characters can be a little broad-brush at times, though not without their charms (it's clear the cast have a good rapport that translates to the screen) and the show isn't afraid to throw the odd curveball in now and then in terms of plot twists here and there. What I particularly like is the fact that Utred is oftentimes both a complete dick and his worst enemy without necessarily straying into pure antihero territory, which is kind of refreshing.

If you're hankering for a bit of Sword fighting Post Witcher then you can't go far wrong with some Viking/Saxon fisticuffs. Season 4 should hopefully be landing sometime later this year and I fully expect it to get renewed for a 5th as it's pretty popular and highly regarded.

Destiny is all. ⚔

Last edited:
Messiah on Netflix, from the assistant director of Matrix Reloaded

It's about the rise of a guy who might be Jesus. He manages to destabilize the world while CIA tries figure out who he really is.
I managed to watch all 10 episodes in one day. It has issues - mostly pacing and my aversion to the shitty vibe of small-town America - but I'd recommend it.
At least it's original and has good ideas.
The Messiah (OR IS HE???) has a very strong presence and is intriguing to the end. The Middle East part of the show is mostly kino, the American part is... not so good. While the Middle East evokes stuff like Argo and Munich, 'Murrica has a shitty Pure Flix vibe, which I'm sure is on purpose but I'm allergic to it.
The middle episodes are poorly paced and the main character is the worst. But! A week later I'm still intrigued and would like to see more. Now that some time has passed and the dead weight of the middle section is forgotten, I have a better overview of what the show was going for. It's a good story with good characters which badly needs some editing.

Nymphae

Banned
I have been watching the Korean show Reply 1988 with my girlfriend on Netflix. Korean culture is really charming. I get a little tired having to read so much while also trying to take everything in visually, as well as having subtler aspects of the culture explained to me as I watch, it can feel like a learning assignment but the content is a breath of fresh air compared to the garbage we make over here.

Kadayi

Banned
Undone

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/undone/s01 100% Critics 93% Audience

Caught this on the recommendation of Chris Ryan from the Watch Podcast and have to say I wasn't disappointed. Beautifully animated using rotoscoping (something GAF might know from Richard Linklakers A Scanner Darkly), the series follows the life of Alma (Rosa Salazar) a teaching assistant at a Nursery in San Antonio who wakes up from a Coma following a Car Accident to find her Dead Father asking for her help in solving the mystery of his death in 2002 as he believed he was murdered for his scientific research. It's a pretty crazy story overall, that leans heavily into magical realism (thus the Rotoscoping) but is at its heart as with any good story is as much about Alma navigating herself as it is about navigating her new reality and those around her. A compelling story, with some great performances that shine through the animation as well as some extremely touching human moments. Highly recommended. Season 2 already confirmed. :messenger_sun:

Last edited:

Makariel

Watching The Witcher season 1 on Netflix, can recommend it, enjoyed it very much and look forward to season 2.

Started with Thieves of the Wood on Netflix, which tells a version of the story of Jan de Lichte, who was a deserter, murderer and highwayman in Flanders. I've heard of the story before, so curious about the Netflix-interpretation. So far the costumes look nice, the corrupt aristocrats are corrupt and bastardly, the common folk have mud in their faces and clothes so you can tell they are commoners. Jan can just walk around the city with his hood up and armed in broad daylight and nobody bats an eyelid. So I don't think it scores 100% on historical accuracy, will report back after I saw a few more episodes.

Makariel

Thieves of the wood turns out to be rather boring. So stopped that about halfway through the first season.

Now started watching Mr Robot, haven't seen that before so I'm starting with season one, just about 5 years behind the curve.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Messiah on Netflix, from the assistant director of Matrix Reloaded

It's about the rise of a guy who might be Jesus. He manages to destabilize the world while CIA tries figure out who he really is.
I managed to watch all 10 episodes in one day. It has issues - mostly pacing and my aversion to the shitty vibe of small-town America - but I'd recommend it.
At least it's original and has good ideas.
The Messiah (OR IS HE???) has a very strong presence and is intriguing to the end. The Middle East part of the show is mostly kino, the American part is... not so good. While the Middle East evokes stuff like Argo and Munich, 'Murrica has a shitty Pure Flix vibe, which I'm sure is on purpose but I'm allergic to it.
The middle episodes are poorly paced and the main character is the worst. But! A week later I'm still intrigued and would like to see more. Now that some time has passed and the dead weight of the middle section is forgotten, I have a better overview of what the show was going for. It's a good story with good characters which badly needs some editing.
Just no. I also saw this and it was a gigantic mess.

Makariel

Mr Robot season 1 is definitely worth watching. Looking forward to season 2 (only 4 years behind then)

Watched Picard the first two episodes. Jesus fucking christ on a pogostick, that series has a hard time to get going. Two episodes in and we haven't even met the crew of the... "Firefly" we know from the trailers yet. So from what I gather Picard is part of the JJ Abramsverse? I'm confused by various elements, but I'm not a turbonerd-trekkie and only watched TOS back in the day when it was the only watchable thing on TV in the afternoon. So I have more of a connection to Kirk, Spock and Bones rather than Picard and his crew, albeit watching a few TNG episodes over the years on Netflix while ironing shirts etc.

The positives: the first episode is not as bad as the opener for Discovery was, but that is not a high bar to cross. Patrick Stewart still has more charisma than most of the rest of the cast combined.

The negatives: so many things that seem odd even for me as casual TNG viewer. Like why do they have TV again? I remember it being a plot point in a TNG episode that TV has pretty much died out in the 20XXs which caused a revived movie or tv start to be a bit freaked out about his lost relevance. Why is this super secret special police that Romulans use to scare their children so utterly terrible at their job? Why is Picard so sad about Data? From what I remember of TNG Data had moments of friendship with almost every important crewmember of the Enterprise, with one big exception: Picard. So having him so crazy about Data that he has near-erotic dreams about the android is just weird. Plus some junk science. Why is Picard's romulan housekeeper (and more) Irish? A number of attempts at humor been falling flat so far. TNG was never really "funny" but it had sometimes a sense of humor. This is just a bit sad so far. Oh and why can't they call androids androids anymore? Suddenly they are called "synths", for no good reason that I could tell.

So two episodes in Picard is still stuck on his vineyard and is grumpy about those kids on his lawn (starfleet). If he doesn't go trekking the stars in episode 3 I do start to wonder what the whole point of this series is.

Makariel

At least they got into space now, but half of episode 3 was so boring I was starting to check Instagram instead. They introduced the captain and part of the core crew. Fucking finally. The captain of the ship can be adequately described as han solo by the way of wolverine. In between the flashbacks they are now also starting to lean on some prophecy of the future.

All that reminded me that there are entire seasons of star trek the next generation on Netflix that I've never watched before. And while they might not have aged all that well in terms of special effects or set designs, it is much more enjoyable to watch than Picard so far. What also strikes me is how different the starfleet is depicted. TNG is much more positive, a future when humanity sorted most of our shit out and lives in abundance and prosperity, with no need for money or silly notions of being motivated by possessions. When they look at politicial issues of the day they used conflict between alien races for drawing parallels, but not starfleet. In Picard this is all different, suddenly people are again divided into those who have and those who don't and rich folks on vineyards vs poor folks in trailer parks. This is quite jarring and so different from star trek of old.

xrnzaaas

Currently watching The New Pope (1 episode left) and it reminds me of the last season of Hannibal. There seems to be too much focus on purely artistic scenes that aren't super relevant to the plot. It also takes a lot of time before
Lenny actually wakes up.
Oh and one more annoyance - I don't mind nudity in mature tv shows, but the amount of unnecessary nudity this season is off the charts. I get it that this season wants to market itself as being provocative, but enough is enough. ;)

Kadayi

Banned
Technically Youtube rather than TV, though apparently the series is available on Amazon Prime 🤔

I've been watching Bon Appetit Magazines Gourmet Makes series

IMDB 9.2

Each episode Bon Appetit New York Test Kitchen Chef Claire Saffitz is tasked with reverse engineering and producing Gourmet versions of popular sweets or snacks (First episode she tackles Twinkies, but later episodes she tackles Twizzlers, Skittles and other delights)

First and foremost it should be stated that albeit this is a show about cooking, it's not really a cooking show in the traditional sense of 'follow this recipe' (though that is included at the end) versus a fascinating insight into process and approach as Claire attempts to wrangle a litany of mass-produced goods of all shapes, sizes and colours and arrive at a remotely achievable home kitchen equivalent through trial & error whilst occasionally assisted by her fellow Test Kitchen Chefs in assessing her progress as well as offering suggestions and criticism. It takes a few episodes to get going, but when it starts to hit its groove it really becomes an immensely enjoyable binge-watch as Claire wrestles with her challenges from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows.

What I like in particular (aside from the colourful cast of personalities that populate the Test Kitchen) is how the show its own way does make you begin to think about the experience of a snack, from the crunchiness of a Dorito, though to the crisp snap of a Twix. Highly recommended.

Makariel

Netflix as usual all over the place.

Watched "Unbelievable", which is quite a good detective drama about a serial rapist in the US. The first two episodes were a bit meh, but it really picked up steam after that. Episodes from 4 onward we (wife plus myself) just binged it.

We also started with Altered Carbon Season 2. So far only watched two episodes. Still quite interesting world, but I do wonder where they go from here.

And then you have shit like this on Netflix:

Yeah hard pass on that one.

Right now I’m on Westworld, Devs, The Plot Against America, and Homeland. Those are my weekly shows. On Disney+, I’m catching up on Star Wars: The Clone Wars series. Currently working my way through season 1.

Westworld is probably the best show on TV right now. It’s HBO’s big budget show now that Game of Thrones is over.

Devs is on Hulu and is a miniseries about a nefarious Silicon Valley tech company. Very interesting premise.

Homeland is in its 8th and final season. I just love CIA/spy shows, so I’m probably enjoying this one more than most people would.

The Plot Against America is based off the book of the same name. It’s also an HBO miniseries. It’s about an alternate history America where Charles Lindbergh wins the presidency. It’s pretty slow two episodes in. But I’m invested and so I’ll stick with it for now.

Side opinion: I think HBO puts out the best shit. They really pour money into their shows to get the best actors and have the best production values. I’ll watch almost anything they put out.

Makariel

Finished Altered Carbon Season 2. Was actually pretty good in the end. The woman liked it as well. Then we watched the Altered Carbon Resleeved Anime. That was shit. Neither of us liked it. Stay clear.

Looked a bit more at the Castlevania Anime series. Meh.

Now that Disney+ is launching I'm considering giving the Mandalorian a shot, but there's still much to watch on Netflix and I am still full time working (from home), so don't have that much more spare time right now.

Kadayi

Banned
ZeroZeroZero

Limited Series Drama from Roberto Saviano the writer behind the critically acclaimed Italian Crime Family Drama Gomorrah. The 8 part story revolves around a massive cocaine shipment destined for Italy and follows the events that unfold for a variety of characters involved in the deal and its delivery both directly and tangentially.

The first couple of episodes are directed by Co-writer/Show Creator Stefano Sollima who sets the tone of the series and brings to it that unflinching muscular style of film making many here will know from the well regarded Sicario sequel Day of the Soldato. There's a palatable sense of dread and unease to the series that is both intoxicating and suffocating in equal measure that rarely lets up throughout the entire runtime and draws you inexorably into the lives of the various parties involved in this international criminal tale.

I'm loathed to say more beyond what I have because I'd rather people go into it devoid of spoilers, save that if you have the time and inclination this is definitely one to seek out. Beautifully shot and acted and also with a superb score by Mogwai to cap it all off: -

Highly recommended.

Kadayi

Banned
Having wrapped up ZeroZeroZero I decided to check out Roberto Saviano earlier work Gomorrah which Staffano Sollima also had a pivotal role in as a principal director: -

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/gomorrah-2014/s01 95% Critics/89% Audience

The series basically follows the lives of various members of a Camorran crime syndicate based in modern-day Naples (the Neapolitan version of the Mafia). Probably one of the most shockingly violent TV series I've ever watched tbh. It makes even the likes of Breaking Bad, the Sopranos or even Narcos seem tame in comparison. The Camorra seem to fully embrace the Niccolò Machiavelli idea of 'If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ' to its natural conclusion with zero fucks given about issues of collateral damage along the way. You happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, tough luck. Enjoy a double-tap to the head if you're lucky. Much much worst if they want information from you beforehand.

Albeit with that said the show doesn't glamourise the criminal life. Pretty much all the criminals live fronting a lot of their earned money on nice showy things to impress others, whilst simultaneously living in fairly squalid tenement conditions whilst the Dons making the real money and live the high life (though cash clearly is no guarantee of taste judging by much of the gaudy decor). Meanwhile, the violence is quite mundane. Consisting of a lot of never had a chance style quick executions/ambushes versus dramatic could go either way gunfights. It's an extremely unsympathetic portrait even of characters that in some ways we as the viewer find ourselves rooting for even though they are reprehensible by any metric of civility. I guess there's the sense that for many of them, clearly born into a life of poverty (Naples seems like a pretty run-down place) the criminal carer path is likely the only real option for many of these people to possibly escape.

Anyway. I highly recommend the series so far (I'm about halfway through series 2 at present and its maintained its quality).

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I just finished season 1 of Ozark and I really enjoyed it except for the super forced gay stuff (welp it's Netflix). The main characters are a likeable bunch and the show makes a good job at showing the family's desperation. I didn't expect things to develop the way they did in s1 finale. The flashback episode was also superb even though I usually hate them in tv shows. I'm definitely hooked for more. :)

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Binged my way through Seasons 3 & 4 of Gomorrah. Season 3 wasn't quite as successful as seasons 1 & 2, but season 4 redeemed it. 5th Season is planned but wasn't due to start filming until later this year and with the lockdown who knows when that will happen, though the shows international success means it will undoubtedly happen. There is the prequel film though. The Immortal about young Ciro.

Anyway, new season of Bosch on Amazon Prime dropped the other day which I'm getting my teeth into at present: -

Sunday however Netflix Season 4 of The Last Kingdom lands (Gods be praised)

Makariel

Watched the Tiger King on Netflix. It's one of the most bizarre pieces of Television I've seen in ages. It's supposedly a docuseries, but the characters involved are so out of this world that it feels like watching some sort of freak show at an old-timey circus. Apparently there are some even weirder things that didn't make it into this series, truth can indeed be stranger than fiction. Would I recommend watching it? I'm not sure, and I don't think we would have necessarily completed the series in case there wasn't a global pandemic happening right now.

Also watched Future Man season 1 on Amazon Prime. This series is a different brand of crazy, with various time-travel paradox and references to other movies and also video games to some degree. Two supersoldiers from the future, who take literally everything literally, land in the US of the 2010s to pick up who they think is the savior of the human race (based on his mastery of a video game). If that sounds familiar, don't worry, the series is aware of that as well. The actors do an admirable job with the script, especially "Wolf", playing even the most insane dialogue completely straight. The part with Wolf learning to cook had me in stitches. If you have Prime anway you can give the first few episodes a try to see if the humour works for you, I can imagine it's not for everyone.

Upon recommendation from Kadayi Kadayi I'm planning to get to DEVS next. If you're in the UK it's currently on the iPlayer.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Also watched Future Man season 1 on Amazon Prime. This series is a different brand of crazy, with various time-travel paradox and references to other movies and also video games to some degree. Two supersoldiers from the future, who take literally everything literally, land in the US of the 2010s to pick up who they think is the savior of the human race (based on his mastery of a video game). If that sounds familiar, don't worry, the series is aware of that as well. The actors do an admirable job with the script, especially "Wolf", playing even the most insane dialogue completely straight. The part with Wolf learning to cook had me in stitches. If you have Prime anway you can give the first few episodes a try to see if the humour works for you, I can imagine it's not for everyone.

Wolf (Derek Wilson) is by far and away, the best thing about Futureman. Dude's transformation from post-apoc mad max to 80s kitchen maestro was great. I think the actor made a really good impression with Seth Rogen when he had a small part in the first season of Preacher and that then spiralled into him landing Wolf's part.

I haven't yet tucked into Season 3 fully of Futureman, but I'm digging it.

xrnzaaas

I started watching season 3 of Ozark and I really don't want to sound like I'm desperately looking for something that's not there, but the overall theme of the show seems to have changed a lot since seasons 1 and 2. The men on the show started being portrayed as weak individuals or simply like idiots (especially
Marty trying to sabotage the new casino deal)
while the women on the show became strong leaders making smart decisions, controlling the business and even playing with weak men. I'm currently on episode 3 so I hope it's not like that for the whole season.

Last edited:

Makariel

Watched The Stranger on Netflix. Pretty neat little mystery series, with "everyone has a secret" etc. Definitely watchable.

Then watched Into The Night, also on Netflix. Around episode 3 my brain tried to flee from my skull for the stupidty on display. So the premise is the following: some "solar event" causes everyone to just fall over and die when the sun touches them, so this plane starting from Brussels goes west and needs to go west in order to not die. Unfortunately, the plane happens to have the most unlikely collection of liars, hypocrites, criminals on board along with someone straight from suicide watch. Every episode the series tries to raise the stakes, which is a tall order if your series starts by SUNLIGHT LITERALLY KILLING EVERYTHING IT TOUCHES! By episode 3 something snapped, and I started to laugh uncontrollably while watching this, and it reminded me more and more of the 1980 movie "Airplane!".

giphy.gif

Yes, this line is spoken in both the 1980 movie "Airplane!", as well as the 2020 series "Into the Night". Both also include a terminally ill child.

giphy.gif

And both include random seeming conflict in dire circumstances when they really have more urgent things to worry about...

DimwittedUnsteadyArmyant-small.gif

So yes, the similarities are striking! The science involved and explanations presented make fairly little sense, but if you care about logic and consistency then this is the wrong series for you. Also, it's fairly easy to predict how the series ends, they went the most obvious route IMO.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I'm on season 2 of the wire

Just wanted to say daaaam they did Dee wrong, but for some reason I found it hilarious how he got hella screwed over and killed in the end I don't know why lol I feel like Stringer is scheming to take over from Avon since Avon is locked up maybe even have him killed sooner or later like he did to Dee we'll see, but the show is entertaining so far

Makariel

After enjoying the first season of "The Sinner" and also finding the second season ok, we gave the third season a try.

Jesus Christ on a motorbike, what a boring slog.

We only made it about halfway before we decided to just stop it. It was just plain boring most of the time and there was not a single character we cared about. The central character, Jamie, is a self-obsessed twat who thinks he's the only one who ever read Nietzsche. A white dude who looks like a model and lives in the US with a cosy job and girls lusting after him, but poor white boy is "suffering" soooo much because "cAn No OnE uNdErStAnD mY pAiN?!?", then he goes full Edgelord every 20 minutes or so. The detective (Bill Pullman literally and figuratively limping through the script) makes all sorts of nonsensical decisions for plot reasons, because if anyone here would have any sense it would have ended with Jamie in handcuffs by the end of episode 3.

Avoid/10

MaestroMike

Gold Member
HBO to Develop Scripted Series About Elon Musk’s SpaceX

HBO is developing a limited series about SpaceX, the space exploration company founded by Elon Musk.

The six-episode series “SpaceX” will be based on the book “Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future” by Ashlee Vance. It will document how Musk, in pursuit of his lifelong dream to make humankind a multi-planetary species, handpicks a team of engineers to work on a remote Pacific Island where they build, and launch, the first SpaceX rocket into orbit. It spurred a new era of privately funded space exploration, culminating in the first manned Space X launch of the Falcon 9 on May 30, 2020.

Doug Jung will serve as writer and executive producer on the series. Channing Tatum will executive produce via his production company Free Association, along with Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan of Free Association. Vance and Len Amato will also executive produce. Michael Parets will oversee the project for Free Association.

Musk, who is not attached to the show at this time, has proven to be one of the most enigmatic figures of modern times. In addition to his work with SpaceX, he is well known for the electric vehicle and clean energy company Tesla, of which he is the CEO. Through his various enterprises, his net worth is estimated to be close to $100 billion.

Jung’s previous writing credits include films like “Star Trek Beyond” and “The Cloverfield Paradox, as well as shows like “Mindhunter,” “Banshee,” “Big Love,” and “Dark Blue,” the last of which he co-created.

He is repped by UTA, Circle of Confusion, and Hansen Jacobson.

Tatum is currently in production on his directorial debut, “Dog,” which he will star in and co-direct with Carolin. In addition to producing several of Tatum’s films, Free Association most produced on Sony’s “Fatherhood” starring Kevin Hart. They are also producing “Gorilla and the Bird” also at HBO.

Tatum and Free Association are repped by CAA, Jacobson, Hoberman, Teller and Relevant.

Amato was previously the president of HBO Films, Miniseries and Cinemax. He exited that role earlier this year. During his tenure, he shepherded projects such as “Grey Gardens,” “Temple Grandin,” “Game Change, “Behind the Candelabra,” “The Normal Heart,” and “Bessie.”

TV Ratings: ‘Sunday Night Football’ Outmuscles Lakers Win in NBA Finals

NBC’s regular broadcast of “Sunday Night Football” drew more than twice as many viewers Sunday night as the Los Angeles Lakers championship win over the Miami Heat to clinch the NBA Finals, in a show of what sports and TV schedules changed by the coronavirus pandemic look like when different leagues face off in seasons in which they don’t normally play.

The NBA captured an average of 5.5 million viewers, according to early national data from Nielsen, compared with 11.5 million viewers for “Sunday Night Football.” In a more normal year, the NBA Finals would take place in June, not October.

Both the NBA and NFL numbers will rise in final numbers.

Viewership for the last game in the 2019 NBA Finals fell 57% when compared to the last game of 2019’s NBA finals, which featured the Toronto Raptors winning against the Golden State Warriors.

The coronavirus pandemic has scrambled the sports world, spurring the NBA and the NHL to finish suspended seasons in parts of the year that are normally used only by the NFL and Major League Baseball. But the NBA has moved its play and post-season events to a Walt Disney facility near Orlando, Florida, and kept its active teams in “bubble” to prevent the spread of coronavirus from player to player and from team to team.

NBC won the night in terms of both overall viewers and audience in the demographic most coveted by advertisers, people between 18 and 49.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Also, right now, I'm checking out the 1st season of Lucifer. Heard some decent things about the show. Only saw two episodes so far seems fine.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Monsterland is trash avoid it. Even worse than Hulu Into the Dark.

Kadayi

Banned
Recently wrapped up Amazon Primes Tales from the Loop

Curious show in that it taps into the sort of Twight zone vibe but is set within a fixed locale so that the strange events and phenomena that occur are all interconnected and you carry forward with you the knowledge of what's occurred as the show progresses even if that knowledge isn't necessarily acted upon or plays a major role in proceedings. It's a little uneven in places, but there is kind of shades of Stalker the game in it in that the location in which the series is set is subject to curious localised temporal irregularities which play a significant part in a lot of the plot lines, and there's definitely a Black Mesa feel about the Loop itself. I also can't say enough good things about Philip Glass's sublime haunting soundtrack: -

Given how the season ends I'd be surprised if it returned as it kind of feels like its self contained, but as the whole series was basically inspired by Art of Simon Stålenhag and they barely tap into a lot of his work, there may be scope for more.

TalesFromTheLoop-Background-021.jpg
ecfea503-feae-4aae-82c9-c3379da08634-simon.png

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody watch The Handmaiden's Tale?

Plot said:
In a world where fertility rates have collapsed as a result of sexually transmitted diseases and environmental pollution, the totalitarian, theonomic government of Gilead establishes rule in the former United States in the aftermath of a civil war. Society is organized by power-hungry leaders along with a new, militarized, hierarchical regime of fanaticism and newly created social classes, in which women are brutally subjugated. By law, women in Gilead are forced to work in very limited roles, including some as natal slaves, and they are not allowed to own property, handle money, or read.

Worldwide infertility has led to the enslavement of fertile women in Gilead determined by the new regime to be "fallen women", citing an extremist interpretation of the Biblical account of Bilhah; these women often include those who have entered multiple marriages (termed "adulteresses"), single or unmarried mothers, lesbians (homosexuals being termed "gender traitors"), non-Christians, adherents of Christian denominations other than the Sons of Jacob, political dissidents and academics. These women, called Handmaids, are assigned to the homes of the ruling elite, where they must submit to ritualized rape (referred to as "the ceremony") by their male masters ("Commanders") in the presence of their wives, in order to become impregnated and bear children for them. Handmaids are given names created by the addition of the prefix Of- to the first name of the man who owns them. When they are transferred, their names are changed accordingly.

I'm 2 eps in, does it get better?

Kadayi

Banned
The Alienist Season 2: Angel of Darkness

On TNT & Netflix

Based on a book series the show revolves around three close friends solving macabre crimes whilst navigating the social and political mores of 19th Century New York City. I wouldn't say it's the greatest show on TV, but there's plenty of twists and turns to keep you watching and the main cast performances are top-notch. The production values in terms of sets, clothing and exterior scenes are astounding, both when it comes to the sheer amount of extras deployed as well as the CG work put in to realise the city. Strong recommend. 8.5/10

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I’ve been watching ‘Allo ‘Allo on prime. It’s an 80s/90s British sitcom from the creator of Are you being served, about a French cafe owner during WW2 who gets caught up with the resistance against his own better judgment.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I’ve been watching ‘Allo ‘Allo on prime. It’s an 80s/90s British sitcom from the creator of Are you being served, about a French cafe owner during WW2 who gets caught up with the resistance against his own better judgment.

Crazy boy Haxan. What inspired that madness?

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
I finished The Haunting of Bly Manor recently. It was good, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. It just didn't hit me the same way as Hill House. To be fair though, that was a pretty hard Season to top. I didn't really enjoy the story as much here, it started off well but dropped off a bit towards the end.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm watching my Family Guy DVDs currently and looking at starting Curb after that, I just bought the whole series except for season 4 which I couldn't find at a reasonable price, I bought the rest on black Friday deals. Season 4 was The Producers season IIRC, not my favourite.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Giving this a thread a bump, as I really want to talk about/recommend a show I watched recently:

d601fcb319618d5ebaf96e8df8b33ce3

Behind Her Eyes is a show I've been hearing a lot of chatter about, but took me a while to get around to it. I noticed it was being billed as a limited series and only had six episodes so I figured "Heh, why not?"

You want to know how I know this was good? I'm still thinking about it days after finishing it. That is the sign of a quality show.

I don't regret watching it for a second, nice to watch a show that feels like time well spent Amazing show. Honestly, it might just be one of the best shows I've seen come out of Netflix in the past couple of years. It starts off slow but is so worth sticking with until the end. I found this such an engrossing watch as all the actors do such a tremendous job in their roles. It was so easy to get immersed, as they really knocked it out of the park. Eve Hewson impressed me a ton, I want to see her in more stuff.

This show is literally an 8/10 for me. I loved everything about it.

Top Bottom