• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Otherside Entertainment Austin Being Created for the development of System Shock 3

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dec 20, 2004
Tampa Bay, FL
msp.starshipmoonhawk.com
So the news was announced that Warren Spector was getting back into the business of gamedev, he just tweeted out these further plans.

https://twitter.com/Warren_Spector/status/700408703116316672

Warren Spector ‏@Warren_Spector 8m8 minutes ago

To clarify System Shock 3will be developed by an OtherSide office in Austin, TX. I'm not going anywhere. Austin devs get your resumes ready.

Warren Spector ‏@Warren_Spector 23h23 hours ago

I've re-entered the world of game development. Part-time until June then full time with OtherSide Entertainment. First up, System Shock 3!

I am most interested to see how that all turns out.

ashecitism

Jun 29, 2013
Hungary
yeah, it was also in the VB article that

“Paul was the devil sitting me on my shoulder tempting me to come back and make games,” Spector said.

Spector said that the studio will be a reasonably big effort for an indie game company, with a relatively large budget. But he said it won’t be on the order of $40 million to $50 million, as he has done in past games.

“I’ve been there, done that,” he said.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/17/w...tem-shock-by-joining-otherside-entertainment/

Lord Panda

Feb 27, 2010
I never got the impression that OtherSide was flush with cash. I wonder how much of their own money has gone into the whole thing or and who the other investors are?

Gurgelhals

Oct 31, 2013
Switzerland
I really wonder where these guys are getting so much money from. This is very rapid expansion.

This Wired article states that they are "looking at" the possibility of crowdfunding: http://www.wired.com/2016/02/warren-spector-system-shock-3/

Still, someone must be investing quite a bit of money in all of this. Their Underworld kickstarter didn't manage to crack even one million and they sound pretty confident about that second, Austin-based studio.

Trago

Aug 31, 2013
Ah yes, back in Austin, just like Ion Storm Austin. That team needs money fired at them from a cannon.

Instro

Jan 14, 2009
California
I mentioned in the other thread, but given that System Shock is owned by Night Dive, presumably they are fronting the bulk of the money for this.

I wonder if both Otherside studios will work on this together, and if Night Dive's staff who are handling the remake will be involved as well.

ashecitism

Jun 29, 2013
Hungary
I mentioned in the other thread, but given that System Shock is owned by Night Dive, presumably they are fronting the bulk of the money for this.

I wonder if both Otherside studios will work on this together, and if Night Dive's staff who are handling the remake will be involved as well.

Posted above, ND are planning a crowdfunding campaign for the SS1 remake, so I doubt they have that much money to fund a new studio.

stuminus3

Nov 29, 2006
Ontario
Ion Storm Mk II, hopefully with more common sense when it comes to spending money on office furniture.

I wonder what Fork Parker makes of all this. ;)