• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otherside Entertainment Austin Being Created for the development of System Shock 3

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So the news was announced that Warren Spector was getting back into the business of gamedev, he just tweeted out these further plans.

https://twitter.com/Warren_Spector/status/700408703116316672

Warren Spector ‏@Warren_Spector 8m8 minutes ago

To clarify System Shock 3will be developed by an OtherSide office in Austin, TX. I'm not going anywhere. Austin devs get your resumes ready.

Warren Spector ‏@Warren_Spector 23h23 hours ago

I've re-entered the world of game development. Part-time until June then full time with OtherSide Entertainment. First up, System Shock 3!

I am most interested to see how that all turns out.

yeah, it was also in the VB article that

“Paul was the devil sitting me on my shoulder tempting me to come back and make games,” Spector said.

Spector said that the studio will be a reasonably big effort for an indie game company, with a relatively large budget. But he said it won’t be on the order of $40 million to $50 million, as he has done in past games.

“I’ve been there, done that,” he said.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/17/w...tem-shock-by-joining-otherside-entertainment/

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I never got the impression that OtherSide was flush with cash. I wonder how much of their own money has gone into the whole thing or and who the other investors are?

I really wonder where these guys are getting so much money from. This is very rapid expansion.

This Wired article states that they are "looking at" the possibility of crowdfunding: http://www.wired.com/2016/02/warren-spector-system-shock-3/

Still, someone must be investing quite a bit of money in all of this. Their Underworld kickstarter didn't manage to crack even one million and they sound pretty confident about that second, Austin-based studio.

Instro

I mentioned in the other thread, but given that System Shock is owned by Night Dive, presumably they are fronting the bulk of the money for this.

I wonder if both Otherside studios will work on this together, and if Night Dive's staff who are handling the remake will be involved as well.

Then that's what they'll hire?

It's just that I had the impression that the core OSE team would be working on SS3, which seems to include MANY Looking Glass Studios staff. I'm not sure OSEA's team will be as experienced in immersive sims.

I mentioned in the other thread, but given that System Shock is owned by Night Dive, presumably they are fronting the bulk of the money for this.

I wonder if both Otherside studios will work on this together, and if Night Dive's staff who are handling the remake will be involved as well.

Posted above, ND are planning a crowdfunding campaign for the SS1 remake, so I doubt they have that much money to fund a new studio.

stuminus3

Banned
Ion Storm Mk II, hopefully with more common sense when it comes to spending money on office furniture.

I wonder what Fork Parker makes of all this. ;)

Instro

Posted in the other thread, but ND are planning a crowdfunding campaign for the SS1 remake, so I doubt they have that much money to fund a new studio.

That's interesting, thanks for the info. Someone out there must really like SS and Warren then lol.

Top Bottom