• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otomedius Excellent US Date PLUS Special Edition > Xbox 360 > July 19th

cj_iwakura

Dambrosi said:
I like how this became a Castle Of Shikigami thread. :D

I did make two threads about the series. Both fell off the front page in about five minutes. :p
(one being for the fan translation project of Shikigami 1.)

Dambrosi said:
This series, like no other, is a graphic demonstration of Konami's meteoric fall from grace - from Gradius V to this? How the mighty have fallen.
To be fair Konami's input on Gradius V was minimal at best.

Dambrosi

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
To be fair Konami's input on Gradius V was minimal at best.
And it fucking shows, now, doesn't it? :p Treasure x g.Rev Ban-motherfucking-zai.

I do love the Shikigami no Shiro series myself, though I've never had the pleasure of playing number 2.

@ _dementia: Yup, g.Rev did most of the programming grunt work on G5.

_dementia said:
The fellow responsible for Gradius V's pretty backgrounds did Strania recently, correct?

Most likely.

There's also Ikaruga, Borderdown, and some other games they've had a hand in.

Sometimes I wish Cave actually gave a crap about stuff like this but they're probably all "fuck it. Doesn't matter what the background looks at because all anyone will see is multiplier bonuses and purple shit."

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Dambrosi said:
Great. So, where's my UK release so's I can get on with ignoring that as well?

I'm a huge fan of Saturn Sexy Parodius and Gradius V, and this game's a disgrace to both. That's not to say you can't enjoy it, and I of all people have nothing against half-nekkid moe babes in mah shmups (witness my purchase of both Deathsmiles and Trouble Witches Neo! as proof), but the Otomedius games seem so bland and uninspired it's criminal, especially since there are no new Gradius (or Parodius) games in planning or development, or even just an XBLA/PSN re-release of Gradius Rebirth, which would do in a pinch.

This series, like no other, is a graphic demonstration of Konami's meteoric fall from grace - from Gradius V to this? How the mighty have fallen.

Oh well, they'll always have their press conferences to fall back on.
I second this. I played the original game in the arcade and it was a lump of uninspired sod. Playing the Parodius games every frame is filled with color and life with amazing details that make you grin ear to ear. Otomedius has nothing. It's just empty. Well, it has Irene... To bad the game is nothing like Xexex.

I like the music though. I'd buy the ost in a heartbeat.

Princess Skittles said:
PC-Engine for non-danmaku?
PS1/Saturn

SuperBonk

What's the general consensus on this game? It took a while to get into Deathsmiles but I'm really enjoying it now. Wondering if I should pick this up as well.

ghibli99

Conflicted. Want to continue supporting the genre (I have all the 360 Cave titles), but the impressions don't sound all that promising.

Sweet CE preordered along with the Catherine ps3 CE

A bit off topic but does anyone have a list of other available shumps for NA 360s? I got Deathsmiles on a whim and really enjoyed it.. PM me if this is totally off topic

cj_iwakura

Impressions at HG101 have been less than glowing. They say it's uninspired and mediocre.

I don't own a 360(but I will eventually, because the XBLM is just ON FIRE right now), but there's also Trouble Witches Neo! on XBL and the region-free Cave shmups($$$$$).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Lando Jones said:

A bit off topic but does anyone have a list of other available shumps for NA 360s? I got Deathsmiles on a whim and really enjoyed it.. PM me if this is totally off topic
Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters Aces. And WarTech.

And quite a few to download. Gurange, Strania, Deathsmiles 2X, etc.

Lando Jones said:

Retail non-imports:
Raiden Fighters Aces
Raiden IV

XBLA:
Strania
Ikaruga
Trigger Heart Excelica
Guwange
Omega Five
Trouble Witches Neo

GoD:
Deathsmiles IIX

Region-free imports:
Mushihimesama Futari
Espgaluda II
Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets
Bullet Soul
Eschatos

Dambrosi

Banned
ghibli99 said:
Conflicted. Want to continue supporting the genre (I have all the 360 Cave titles), but the impressions don't sound all that promising.
Buy Trouble Witches or Strania instead. Though, if it's Otomedius or nothing, then...buy yourself another PS2 and a copy of Gradius V. Or a Wii and Gradius Rebirth. Or a J-Saturn and Sexy Parodius, but that's really just me.

@ luka: I was going to agree on the soundtrack, but then you mentioned Xexex. I must now remind myself of that game by emulating it pronto.

And I'd say that the PC Engine is good for early 90's shmups, while the PS1 is better for late 90's shooters, just by virtue of their respective active periods.

@ _dementia: You forgot Trouble Witches Neo! and Rez HD, among others.

I really want a new Parodius instead. I was hoping this would be more Parodius-esque.

Or better yet, release a Parodius collection of all of the Parodius games in the US for the first time with online multiplayer. I'd play that forever.

robot

_dementia said:
Retail non-imports:
Raiden Fighters Aces
Raiden IV

XBLA:
Strania
Ikaruga
Trigger Heart Excelica
Guwange
Omega Five

GoD:
Deathsmiles IIX

Region-free imports:
Mushihimesama Futari
Espgaluda II

Don't forget Bullet Soul and Eschatos! Both are region-free imports (and awesome).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
_dementia said:
Retail non-imports:
Raiden Fighters Aces
Raiden IV

XBLA:
Strania
Ikaruga
Trigger Heart Excelica
Guwange
Omega Five

GoD:
Deathsmiles IIX

Region-free imports:
Mushihimesama Futari
Espgaluda II

I'd also include stuff like Rez HD, Bangai O Spirits, Senko No Rondo, and GeoWars 2. The ShootemUp or something like that also got a lot of positive attention, and if I recall its a single buck.

Best thing about it, the vast majority can be picked up for 10$ or less.

Dambrosi

Banned
Hate to repeat myself, but since we seem to be making a definitive list:

You forgot Trouble Witches Neo! (best cute-'em-up on XBLA, bar none) and Rez HD (yes it's a shmup, shut up), among others.
Just for the sake of completion, guv'nor.

@ Shintoki: It's The Shoot1Up. Very Tyrian-like.

Risette

A Good Citizen
_dementia said:
Retail non-imports:
Raiden Fighters Aces
Raiden IV

XBLA:
Strania
Ikaruga
Trigger Heart Excelica
Guwange
Omega Five

GoD:
Deathsmiles IIX

Region-free imports:
Mushihimesama Futari
Espgaluda II
Bullet Soul
Eschatos
What about Aegis Wing? It's free!
lol

Do you think Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox are shmups too? What about Time Crisis and House of the Dead?

If I'm not including stuff like Metal Slug, why include Rez?

ghibli99

Dambrosi said:
Buy Trouble Witches or Strania instead. Though, if it's Otomedius or nothing, then...buy yourself another PS2 and a copy of Gradius V. Or a Wii and Gradius Rebirth. Or a J-Saturn and Sexy Parodius, but that's really just me.
It's not just you... I still have all my old consoles and shooters. I think this is more about me being excited that there are so many of them on the 360... it's taking me back to the Saturn days. But I do want to avoid stuff that sucks, obviously.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
_dementia said:
Do you think Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox are shmups too? What about Time Crisis and House of the Dead?

None of those are shmups. Let's just be clear.

Yes Boss!

But,

How can you guys forget Sky Stage?!

Kidding aside, it is a bonafide arcade port and worth mentioning that it is available for worldwide XBLA.

Bummer, Oto always gets a bad rap since folks stack it up to Parodius and Gradius. Different animal, altogether. Comparing to these is fruitless.

No shooters lined up for the near term for 360 outside of Radiant Silvergun, sadly.

Dambrosi

Banned
_dementia said:

Panzer Dragoon is undoubtedly a shmup, especially Orta - they're just on-rails, which, if you think about it, is no different from all the vertically- and horizontally-scrolling shooters we know and love. Star Fox, too, except for Adventures and the awful DS game. Rez HD is really no different than these games in terms of basic game design, despite its aesthetics. That's why it deserves inclusion.

Metal Slug is different, in that it's more like Contra - a platformer where you shoot lots of things, as opposed to a purely shooting-led design. And Time Crisis and House Of The Dead are glorified shooting galleries, and have more in common with FPSes like Call Of Duty than the likes of Gradius and Raiden.

@Yes Boss!: Not comparing Otomedius to its forebears doesn't stop the game from being too easy, slow-paced and dull, though. And the less said about Sky Stage, the better. :p

bon

I don't care if almost every impression I've read is negative. Nothing will stop my frothing demand for a new Konami shooter.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I am still getting this since it will only cost me $20, but back when the first Otomedius was released, it didn't strike me as being all that great in arcades, and when I got it at home, it felt a bit better, but I wound up playing a crapload of the Parodius collection on PSP instead.

Otomedius needs more action on-screen and it just doesn't feel as comical and wacky as the Parodius games do...they are far more creative and fun.

leroidys said:
Who would have believed it 6 years ago if someone told you that 360 would be THE platform for shmups this gen?
I probably would have expected the Wii TBH. True low res and all that :/

GhaleonQ

Dambrosi said:

To be fair, this is 1 of their few voluntary decisions. It's not like they tried to make another Parodius and botched it. Kirby =/= Starfy, ultimately (to use a parallel).

Dambrosi

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
To be fair, this is 1 of their few voluntary decisions. It's not like they tried to make another Parodius and botched it. Kirby =/= Starfy, ultimately (to use a parallel).
That's true, I guess. Imagine the fanboy furore if they'd fucked up a new Parodius. So it makes sense to spin off a new series from it and try their stuff at that.

Considering the result, I think we can all agree that things could have been much worse.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I wonder if they'll make Niais introduce a trailer for this game at their E3 shindig.

Dambrosi

Banned
ixix said:
I wonder if they'll make Niais introduce a trailer for this game at their E3 shindig.
And censor all the cleavage shots. Again.

Seriously, though, how can they follow up last year's glorious disaster?

GhaleonQ

Dambrosi said:
Considering the result, I think we can all agree that things could have been much worse.

But, as you said, "better" was still an option. That's our (2011) Konami!

Dambrosi

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
But, as you said, "better" was still an option. That's our (2011) Konami!
To be honest, I think the people originally responsible for all the good Konami shmups left the company long ago, so we can't even be sure that "better" was an option.

What do they even have to announce at E3? Nothing but sequels and spinoffs, I bet.

cj_iwakura

Dambrosi said:
And censor all the cleavage shots. Again.

Seriously, though, how can they follow up last year's glorious disaster?

Walk on stage and announce Beatmania IIDX Sirius as a PS3 exclusive for the US without telling anyone what the hell it is.

JMc7El.jpg

No image yet of the outer box. Not that I can find anyway!

Slermy

That pillow case is better than I exepected. Not a fan of the art direction in this game as a whole though.

I need to 1000 Otomedius G before this is out... but I wonder if that will kill my interest in playing this. Oh well, only one way to find out.

Top Bottom