• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of There Somewhere |OT| Now you're thinking with teleports

Platy

CeqnX.png

jvyJB.png

Release Date : 21/02/2012
For : PC for now, Mac version in the future, other versions not planned for now
Where : Old school exe in the Official site, Desura or Indievania
PreOrder bonus: Yes
How much : US$ 4,99

Vote for it on Steam Greenlight !

Reviews==================================================================

MzKbh.png

Game-Sphere.fr - 83% (french)
gamesidestory.com (french)
ApocalypseHug Review Video Review
IndieStatik - Super Indie Spotlight: Out There Somewhere! Video Review
indiegamemag.com review : 70%
rgcd.co.uk review :
ad0M9.gif

eurogamer.net/ : 9/10

So .. What is this ?==================================================================

It is a Plataformer Puzzle Action Retro Indie game with lasers ! ... but not so much lasers.
It is a new game by the Miniboss Studio !

Master System style cover yeah ! said:

Awesome cover ! Where can i see some trailers ?==================================================================

Here !
Official Trailer
Release date trailer
Ok ... not here ... but there on youtube

More media !==================================================================

Sure !
As you know, hold the mouse button to enlarge... but not much, it has pixel graphics =P
Art:
gFGU7.jpg

rnUQz.jpg

j1Q21.jpg

tdxYJ.jpg

x5TZu.jpg

================================================================================================

Screenshots
IzVrx.png

pUKbc.png

wYGDS.png

q4mZ0.png

YUcdG.png

kdAjs.png

hCmXT.png

qCRgB.png

So ... this has an story ? Is it super cinematic with 4 hour long cutscenes ?==================================================================

Yes, has a story !
You take control of Yuri, this dude here:
R6z0e.png

He is an astronaut who’s come from the Great Mother Planet. He is lost searching for his arch-enemy Grigorin in a world full of puzzles and has a Teleport Gun to solve them with.
So ... no sleeping pills in form of cutscenes, just full awesome 2d 90's retro action !
It has a simple story and retro look and music.

You talked about a PreOrder ... talk more !==================================================================

Desura PreOrder
Preorder the game for the same price and get a digital copy of the game in old school .exe, the original soundtrack of the game in MP3 format and a digital version (pdf) of the Hint Manual, that includes concept art and… hints!
Besides the trailers, you can see one more sample of the soundtrack on this video where they choose a winner fr the printed version
(They said they would give a printed version of the poster to who voted on their favorite .. won the master system, but the other options were mega drive and pc cd rom)

Can my Pc run it ?==================================================================

Sure ! Have you seen the trailer ? =P
Ok ...
System requirements !

Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, or later
A DirectX 8 (or later) compatible graphics card with at least 32Mb of memory
Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2 at 2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
300 Mb free hard disk space
Screen resolution of at least 800×600 and 16-bit colors (preferably full color)
DirectX 8 compatible sound card

So .. it is Portal mixed with Escape from Death Puppy Factory ?==================================================================

...NO !
Also, please die =P
It is awesome, he uses a TELEPORTATION gun that is fas and fires far and teleports you whenever it hits ANYTHING. Teleports, not trade places, not passes through a portal.
See the trailer ... it has frenetic action not included on these titles.
...and the development started before EDPF appeared
Also if it was ... what is the problem ? Both are awesome games =D

This dude has a triforce on his belt !==================================================================

Yes, also if you notice, the game official release date is the same as japanese The Legend of Zelda ! (the official date for the series aniversary)
Also, one of the creators even has a zelda tattoo !

So who are the people who made this ?==================================================================

jiPV0.png

You can know about every member and collaborator of the studio here on their site, but this game is made by a 3 people team !

Wich Games they made? Do I know any ?==================================================================

They made mostly Jam related games and other free stuff, this is the first paid one
Click on the main characters to go to the project's page

The creators .. talk more about then .. i want to know more about the ones who worked on this one ! ====================================================

LW91M.jpg

Saint11
Winner of Ludum Dare #22 with Frostbite

================================================================================================

8wiGD.jpg

Amora
The one with the zelda tattoo, as captain obvious would say. Worked as an animator in the Oscar nominated movie “Chico y Rita”

xwsG8.jpg

Iuri Rodrigues
The music dude !
Didn't found much about him, but he has an awesome portfolio =D

Gaspode_T

Plz make game starring Amora, kthxbye

In all seriousness, this looks nice. +1 to Desura lately. Now to just get people to stop pirating games that go up on Desura/etc.

Advice: put a demo level up on a place like Kongregate.

Goody

Looks right up my alley. I'll definitely be buying a copy.

I see they submitted it to Steam. Hopefully that goes through for them.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Yeah this looks really good. Coming off of Rochard I'm definitely ready for another puzzle action game.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
The design makes me think of Stealth Bastard and Super Meat Boy.

The title makes me think of An American Tail.

She worked on Chico and Rita?! Wow, great film I saw a few years ago and yet now is up for an Oscar.

There's no way I could do those blind jumps with all those teleports in the trailer.

Platy

You can now preorder on Desura !

Will update the OP with this link =3

Also, if anyone have any question related to the game ... i will do my best to send directly to the developers

Also, first written review ... is in french =P
Game-Sphere.fr - 83%

and while we are here, the first "review" :
MzKbh.png

But probably nobody outside the indie community will know this dude =P

You can now preorder on Desura !

Will update the OP with this link =3

Also, if anyone have any question related to the game ... i will do my best to send directly to the developers

Also, first written review ... is in french =P
Game-Sphere.fr - 83%

and while we are here, the first "review" :
MzKbh.png

But probably nobody outside the indie community will know this dude =P

already preordered off the site. will that give me the exe or a desura key?

linko9

This looks right up my alley, I'll pick it up when it comes out on steam (seems inevitable). Sorry to be that guy.

Platy

Another positive review, another french review .... wonder why still no english reviews ...

GameSideStory.com
IQNXl.png

My french is incredibly bad, but they seem to say that they LOVED, but the game could be longer

edit ----------------
HOLY INDIENESS !

Another review .. this time in polish

There are also thons of brazilian reviews, but ... as a brazilian made game, i don't know how relevant this is xD

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I really dig the mechanic of shooting a teleport right under a ledge, jumping just before it hits the ledge and using the upward momentum to get over the ledge.

Draft

Welp, the game can't find a sound device, but that's not really a problem since it also runs into some D3D error and won't even launch. I probably should have tried the demo before plunking down my $5. Oh well, maybe she can buy a pair of Dodongo earrings with it.

Platy

Why isn't this on Steam? I'm not port begging, I'm genuinely curious.

They submited to steam ... but still didn't got any answers.

Testing takes time (so they don't end with a wallpaper gallery that says that is Pokemon Yellow =P) and they must receive thousands of submissions ... so .. someday !

Welp, the game can't find a sound device, but that's not really a problem since it also runs into some D3D error and won't even launch. I probably should have tried the demo before plunking down my $5. Oh well, maybe she can buy a pair of Dodongo earrings with it.

Can you post (or pm me) with your system specifications ?
I will send directly to then to see if they can fix it as soon as possible

Platy

Here is the answer:

Santo said:
This error means that your graphics card driver isn't updated or doesn't support DirectX. Try downloading the latest update of your graphics card driver and the DirectX runtime again.

He also said something complicated about how the game isn't allowed to mess with those stuff ....
and also said that you have more trouble, to send a direct email to studiominiboss@gmail.com

I hope it helps

Second time Out There Somewhere has been .21 cent, it's worth that and more. This game is super short but it was so much fun and I replayed it almost immediately after beating it looking for all of the secrets I missed. I bought this the last Steam sale and it's been one of my best sale buys in years. I don't think I've enjoyed an indie game as much since I bought They Bleed Pixels.

I hope it did well enough they can make another game--a sequel to Out There Somewhere, something new, whatever--I'd be there day one for sure.

Top Bottom