• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast - Second Contact: Remake will be published by Bigben

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I was pretty gutted when the Kickstarter didn't pan out, but they clearly didn't have enough to convince the public of the project.

Hope it turns out good. Outcast truly was an incredible game ahead of its time.

Glad to see they found traditional funding after the shocker that was the kickstarter.

No clue if they can pull this off, though. Good luck to em.

asa

Yes, One of my favorite games of all time! I hope they get to make the sequel, they certainly do not lack the commitment and clearly want to make it!

Oh wow, it's going forward?

I look forward to seeing more of it. I haven't messed around too much with Outcast V 1.1 but it's certainly interesting.

lazygecko

I was pretty gutted when the Kickstarter didn't pan out, but they clearly didn't have enough to convince the public of the project.

Hope it turns out good. Outcast truly was an incredible game ahead of its time.

The original game wasn't even released in the US, was it? That makes it a Euro-only cult classic which does it no favors for kickstarter pandering.

Finnroth

First half of 2017 and on all current platforms seems awfully ambitious, but I really hope they can pull this off.

tuxfool

Banned
The original can now be considered a bit primitive as is comes to systems driven worlds but at the time it sure was ambitious. I wonder if the remake will still use Voxels.

CamHostage

Pretty psyched, Outcast has always been one of those weird games I get mesmerized by. And the console deal sounds sweet (I never got Outcast 1.1 because it was PC-only and I'm a console gamer, though even with the remake, the freaky voxel engine and crazy effects are part of its appeal so I'm glad the remastering exists as well as the remake.) Curious how it looks now, the original Kickstarter prototype images were promisingly colorful.

Outcast%20old-to-new.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADfOipJok8

Side-note, Appeal co-founder Franck Sauer posted some footage of the lost Outcast 2, which blew my mind in screenshots years and years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em4CRj68Esw

RedSwirl

Interested. I never played the original but I heard it was pretty much the most Eurojank of Eurojank games. That is, it had a lot of really cool ideas for open-world gaming but not the budget to actually carry them out. Probably precisely the kind of game that needs a remake.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Interested. I never played the original but I heard it was pretty much the most Eurojank of Eurojank games. That is, it had a lot of really cool ideas for open-world gaming but not the budget to actually carry them out. Probably precisely the kind of game that needs a remake.

I wouldn't call it Eurojank at all, it was actually really well polished and had a pretty big budget for the time.

RedSwirl

I wouldn't call it Eurojank at all, it was actually really well polished and had a pretty big budget for the time.

I might be thinking about another, similar-looking game from some Eastern European dev. Didn't realize this game came out way back in 1999. Looks good considering when it came out.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't know who told you it was eurojank, but it really wasn't. It was pretty polished as far as systems driven games went at the time. What it was though, is extremely resource hungry and it could put just about any cpu on its knees (still can today if one increases the resolution).

It conceptualized and implemented many systems that even today aren't that much more sophisticated.

I would love to play another Outcast game, but I can't really muster much enthusiasm for Kickstarter projects. Color me surprised if this will actually release next year and not be a total waste of time. Outcast 1.1 was a nice release, but I haven't had the inclination to actually play it past the starting area. Still, I have a lot of fond memories of Outcast, and I think it definitely was a pioneer in open world RPG design.

lazygecko

It was also the first game to have a live orchestra score (older Star Wars games don't really count since they used stock music not specifically recorded for the games). Doesn't really get the credit it deserves as an important milestone.

gabbo

The original game wasn't even released in the US, was it? That makes it a Euro-only cult classic which does it no favors for kickstarter pandering.

Yes it was. It just didn't have a lot of fanfare when it released, turning into a cult game later on.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It was also the first game to have a live orchestra score (older Star Wars games don't really count since they used stock music not specifically recorded for the games). Doesn't really get the credit it deserves as an important milestone.

Definitely not the first, I'm not sure exactly what the first was but Total Annihilation predates it by 2 years for example, but the soundtrack was incredible nonetheless.

Top Bottom