• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outer Worlds wins RPG of the year from DICE Awards.

great characters o_O
cbg3rTO.jpg

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I enjoyed it, however didn’t complete it. It felt to me like they wanted to do just wanted I wanted but were constantly held back some how? If that makes any sense?

Like if they had a bigger budget and more time, maybe they could have done more?

But the trouble was it was too closed off. It should have been fully open world, and had a LOT more polish.

So for me, it was a Vegas lite, a game that could have been amazing, but due to *reasons* never quite hit that high.

But the trouble was it was too closed off. It should have been fully open world, and had a LOT more polish.
Actually that's the part that I am really intrigued about.

Fuck that "everything needs to be open world" shit these days.
I want small closed environments with lots of shit to do in them.

Was one of the most boring games of last year for me . Reading and talking is not my thing . I m assuming I m not the target audience for rpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Nice, I had a lot of fun with that game. Fingers crossed for some good DLC that fleshes out the universe more.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
How replayable is it? How do your choices affect the ending? Are there branching paths?

Everyone I've talked to says it's incredibly linear and the player skills don't end up mattering much. I was quite excited for the game -- if for no other reason than to bloody the nose of Bethesda -- but I've heard a lot of "meh".

nowhat

I think people wanted to stick it so hard to Fallout and Bethesda that they can't accept the game is.... MEH
Can't blame people for wanting to do that though? Personally, FO4 did it for me - it turned out to be a huge letdown, and what Bethesda has done since... yeah, fuck them. As to this game, I'll admit I wanted to like it much more than I eventually ended up liking it. It's not bad. But it's not great either.

R6Rider

Gold Member
As others have said it's great until after Monarch (the biggest area with the most quest), and after that I just kind of wanted to get it over with.

Game was stupid easy on Normal difficulty as well. I would simply walk through a level 1 or 2 shotting everything with my shotgun.

pr0cs

It had potential but I found the combat to be really dull, enemy variety extremely slim. Some of the quests were cool and having different people in your party a nice way to manipulate the dialog and encounters when playing but sadly if the core game itself is dull its hard to care much about the story /characters.

A lot of the game did have what felt like shorhorned in "diversity", not because it felt organic but it was a checkbox they could tick off to satisfy the usual screechers

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's got it's good parts and bad. I never felt the depth of danger at any time during this game. Nothing mattered. You just go around solving people's disputes for them. You're an arbitrator with guns. I think they could really do some work in making the stakes higher in the next game they do.

That aside, this game felt a million times better than any fallout in terms of the shooting and melee combat. Stealth was done relatively well and I enjoyed the numerous and various weapon types including the science weapons. The dialogue....was fallout...I mean it's been done a dozen or more times now and I think we are overdue for a new conversation system. For what it's worth it is tried and true and I thought the voice acting and choices were top notch.

I haven't played another RPG as good as this game, not to say one wasn't released last year, just I hadn't played it.

GymWolf

As others have said it's great until after Monarch (the biggest area with the most quest), and after that I just kind of wanted to get it over with.

Game was stupid easy on Normal difficulty as well. I would simply walk through a level 1 or 2 shotting everything with my shotgun.
It's piss easy and completely broken on hard too.

Top Bottom