• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast 2 Review Thread

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Rated a recomend for all horror fans. Hallelujah

Nice. Very nice.

giphy.gif

Granjinha

My review is only going up tomorrow (editing the video now) but i, uh, was kinda disappointed by it. The atmosphere is great (as is the OST, Sound Design and visuals) and the pacing is much more organic if compared to the first one (as are the mechanics)

but i really disliked the story. I didn't care about any of the characters and about whatever was going on, i had fun playing it but all of the events were kinda like.. ok? move on? I also think it deals with some themes really badly.

I just need to talk to someone more in depth about how it all connects to the first and ending interpretations! Also made me way more uncomfortable then RE7 and RE7 was tense as hell.

Musiol

Here's review from my site (it's in polish):

PSSite.com - 8/10
Outlast 2 maybe is not the best game in the genre, but it still makes a great intense horror. Developer knows, how to correctly expand the series' universe and delivered slightly better game than the last one.

I liked it, there's a lot of cool stuff here, but it doesn't move forward enough for me.

Push Square - 7/10

Outlast II significantly ups the ante in the production values stakes, but its biggest sin is relying a little too heavily on trial and error in the gameplay department. There's an unsettling story here that wanders into some quite shocking territory, but the writing doesn't always sing from the same hymn sheet, and some murderous moments are delivered a little too frantically for the fiction to fully marinate. Despite that, there's more than enough good on offer here to tempt you back to church. Pull up a pew and prepare for a psychological onslaught.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/outlast_ii

Also a video review with a ton of spoiler-free gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAUpENC64w0

Azuardo

Cubed3: 5/10 - Average

Anyone who loved the original Outlast will likely love this sequel. It is basically more of it and pushes the Unreal Engine 3 to its fullest potential, making it one gorgeous looking game. The attention to detail is really strong and the story manages some original twists. Making Father Knoth inspired by Jim Jones was a brilliant idea that really added some plausibility to this horrible story of depravity. It is sad the gameplay just can't reach the same heights as the atmosphere and presentation. Although there is a lot of trial and error in the game, it does actually reload gameplay very fast - almost shockingly fast - and it seems like nothing was compromised since the frame rate is a very fluid and stable 60fps. Outlast 2 manages itself very nicely and there might have been only one noticeable instance of texture loading. The lesson learned here is that disempowering is not always scary; sometimes it just gets annoying.

I didn't like the 'tryhard' feel of the first game. Is this one a bit restrained or is it similar in tone?

I'd argue it's even more try hard, personally. They try so hard to one-up
the torture scene from the original
that a lot of the set-pieces seem to literally exist just to "shock" you and garner the same reaction.

I didn't like the 'tryhard' feel of the first game. Is this one a bit restrained or is it similar in tone?

The first was like a trip into a horror fun house a times. This one feels like walking into a crazy cultist camp, with fanatics screaming at you, weird shit happening, and even a dash of Rob Zombie like graphicness and intensity. I cant say I had fun honestly and wanted the game to end but because I couldn't take it anymore. Last me around 8 hours.

Also best chase sequences in a horror game for me since Call of Cthullu dark corners.

BiggNife

Feels like this maybe ran into the same issue that hotline Miami 2 did, where changing the levels from tight corridors to big open areas makes the game play a lot more frustrating.

Xater

Hmm it does not seem to be a complete home run. At 30 bucks I might consider waiting for a slight sale.

Granjinha

Feels like this maybe ran into the same issue that hotline Miami 2 did, where changing the levels from tight corridors to big open areas makes the game play a lot more frustrating.

I actually think the gameplay flows much better here (as it does in hotline miami 2 which is better than the first one :p). You don't really need to rely on stealth that much (you can basically outrun the bad guys in most encounters)

Lol @ RPS' "Eh". What other words are on their scale? Nice to see it getting mostly decent scores though, been excited for this.

I just need to talk to someone more in depth about how it all connects to the first and ending interpretations! Also made me way more uncomfortable then RE7 and RE7 was tense as hell.

Well that's awesome :)

Hyped

SZips

"Restrained" and "Outlast 2" don't belong in the same sentence. So no, it's far from restrained. If you didn't like that about the first game, you will not like it here, that's for sure.

ethomaz

Banned
I liked first Outcast because the great story... the gameplay mechanics was crap...
Reading the reviews looks to be the same again... it will be a good story with not improvements in gameplay :(

That is fine but after RE7 I want way more from survival horror games...

Top Bottom