• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast on PS4 runs at 1080p/60fps

Shin-Ra

It's a relatively simple looking UE3 game with short draw distances so I hope they've got it to 1080p60.
Aww yiss.

Yeah exactly. The actual HDMI port won't support the bandwidth for anything higher.
Is there some confirmation of this in hardware? Not an assumption based on the current certified 1.4 spec?

It´s funny to see people getting excited over 1080p/60fps.
i8edlglq0NG3s.gif

MadSexual

I think it'd be a primarily indie thing. It's not that PS4 isn't obviously capable of 1080p/60fps as a goal (and this gen games can look amazing even targeting that), but it's just devs just find ways to get more and more ambitious with extra power, and the target always ends up being 30fps in the end.
That's really all there is to it. PS4 could probably render Hotline Miami in 4k without breaking a sweat. It's about scalability and how costly the resources and assets being used are.

I doubt many people were playing in 1080 on pc in 2001, but they were definitely playing Max Payne and Deus Ex at 1600x1200. PS4 could do twice that too. It isn't a technological achievement to simply have a particular resolution and framerate. It only matters in conjunction with the content being rendered.

That said, you guys will enjoy Outlast. As others have said, it isn't especially taxing, but it should make a great example for the real performance standards we expect from an HD generation.

amdnv

Well I am paying $400 for a gaming system, that happens to come with other nice features. If i want to shop photos or document words, or gaf some neo, I can use a cheap laptop.

But if we are talking about playing games, which we are, then my point stands.
You may have missed my point then. $400 does not buy you a PC that gives comparable gaming performance, but the additional cost of a system with comparable gaming performance buys you additional features. In other words: Your two gadgets (console + cheap laptop) can be replaced by one gadget, but of course this one gadget is more expensive than just the console.

Also to get back on topic: Outlast is awesome. Play with the lights out, alone, audio cranked up. It's an incredible experience and the scariest game I've played. On top of that, it's visually quite stunning.

calder

The lesson of this thread, once again, is that a surprisingly large percentage of PC gamers on GAF are fucking unbearable.

gruenel

Another thread derailed by PC elitists, this is ridiculous.

Can't wait to play this game next week, though I'll probably shit my pants 60 times per second.

Cragvis

I have yet to play outlast. I still have amnesia on steam and was too scared to play it. I should do it. It's just I dont like jump scares and that seems to be the key scare in these "no fighting back" 1st person scare games.

Skeff

Aww yiss.

Is there some confirmation of this in hardware? Not an assumption based on the current certified 1.4 spec?

i8edlglq0NG3s.gif

Trine 2 Devs commented on it, in 3d mode trine2 runs internally at 1080p but outputs at 720p only due to hdmi. There is hope of hdmi 2.0 being supported via firmware in the future but it's unknown.

I'm definitely planning to get a PS4 this year sometime. And this game is one that helped push me towards that decision. The other being Alien Isolation.

Shin-Ra

Trine 2 Devs commented on it, in 3d mode trine2 runs internally at 1080p but outputs at 720p only due to hdmi. There is hope of hdmi 2.0 being supported via firmware in the future but it's unknown.
So in other words, no.

Shin-Ra

They didn't say anything about it being a hardware (HDMI chipset bandwidth) limitation, which is what Nerfgun implied.

Mitark

did anyone try the Sony HMZ-T1 with the PS4 yet?

lNy8tIQ.jpg

it will be perfect if the game only 720p in the 3D mode since the HMZ-T1 only support up to 720p anyway.

i only watch movies with the HMZ-T1, and only tried Killzone 3 with it.

man..

Sony HMZ-T1 + Outlast + PS4 = i don't know if I'm gonna do it

KORNdoggy

The lesson of this thread, once again, is that a surprisingly large percentage of PC gamers on GAF are fucking unbearable.

Truer words have never been spoken.

How insecure are these people.

Anyway. Anyone confirmed 3D support? Or was that just BS?

PBY

Banned
Is this game easy? Pretty interested in it, but hoping its short, easy, and isn't the kind of horror game where you wander around and get lost and get stuck at puzzles.

Gbraga

Another thread derailed by PC elitists, this is ridiculous.

Can't wait to play this game next week, though I'll probably shit my pants 60 times per second.

It's really not scary aside from like two jump scares at the beginning of the game. The story will also make you laugh near the end.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and it's very pretty, but the media reaction to how scary it is was exaggerated. Don't believe their lies.

jaaz

Is this game easy? Pretty interested in it, but hoping its short, easy, and isn't the kind of horror game where you wander around and get lost and get stuck at puzzles.

It's not difficult. Puzzles are relatively straightforward and you usually know what you need to do and where to go.

There are a number of Amnesia-type run and hide sequences. Overall, it's medium length. Story is a bit immature, but it does have some interesting twists and characters (one particular hilarious Doctor nearly makes up for the price of admission all by himself!).

Overall, I expected more from it (I had been following development), but I enjoyed it. I actually liked it more than Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs last year, which I NEVER thought would be the case...

Game is good, but get a little old by the end. Still good game for their first title. Looking forward to Outlast 2 :Last Longer :p

The one game that I honestly didn't care about 6fps, and it has it. I'm cool with that. I like "ugly" horror games though lol. High framerate horror is something I'd always wanted to see done properly, so I'll check it out.

Ouch, man that had to sting. Be prepared for the "but my laptop also does word processing" and whatever other functions PC's can perform that consoles can't.
Too bad it can't perform the function of getting games on time. It can crunch the shit out of some numbers though.

Can't wait to try it. But at the same time, I can. I'm such a pussy when it comes to scary games. I can barely make it through Metro at times :(

Cudder

Amazing, looking forward to it. I'm glad we get a horror game this early in the gen. Is it even coming out on One, or is it console exclusive to PS4?

did anyone try the Sony HMZ-T1 with the PS4 yet?

lNy8tIQ.jpg

it will be perfect if the game only 720p in the 3D mode since the HMZ-T1 only support up to 720p anyway.

i only watch movies with the HMZ-T1, and only tried Killzone 3 with it.

man..

Sony HMZ-T1 + Outlast + PS4 = i don't know if I'm gonna do it

Yes meeeee, I tried it on my PS4. Mind blowing to say the least, felt like playing a game inside a cinema theater, so freaking big!

gruenel

It's really not scary aside from like two jump scares at the beginning of the game. The story will also make you laugh near the end.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and it's very pretty, but the media reaction to how scary it is was exaggerated. Don't believe their lies.

Diaper pre-order cancelled then.

Seems like yesterday a lot of us were saying 1080p 60 was still too far out of PS4's reach but so far it's got a good track record it's building.

Let's see how far down the line before devs begin prioritizing effects over frame rates though.

MadSexual

Seems like yesterday a lot of us were saying 1080p 60 was still too far out of PS4's reach but so far it's got a good track record it's building.

Let's see how far down the line before devs begin prioritizing effects over frame rates though.
Someone needs to sticky a post that details what goes into determining resolution in console games. These threads are still useful because they tell us what to expect from a product, but almost all of the derailments come from people spouting off about technical things they don't even have a basic understanding of and have only heard about being topical and, in many cases, are simply memes. That includes the PC trolls in the thread. Owning a performance GPU does not entail that you know how it works and why your visuals are better. All of this is making technical discussions across the site acerbic.

BigDug13

I don't know why any PC gamers have their panties in a bunch over similar performance between PS4 and PC. You know it's not going to last, just like every other generation where consoles started at near upper PC levels. This time it's not even "upper PC levels" as the starting point.

Yes console players are loving the fact that they're getting "1080p on ultra" level graphics and sometimes at near 60fps, but that doesn't mean your next PC upgrade you buy later this year or next year won't completely decimate all consoles in performance.

This is always a 5-7 year cycle where console players get near PC-level performance for the first year or so of the new console and eventually regular gaming PC's obliterate all consoles during the later years of the 5-7 year generation.

Let people enjoy their 1080p/60fps performance news.

Amir0x

Banned
NBA 2K14 is not realistic?

I do not think you get what I was trying to say. Even Xbox 360 had some 1080p games, for example, but nobody would say devs attempted to do that very often. I hope devs do that more often on PS4, but I don't expect even that very frequently. For Xbox One, with its 16 ROPs is difficult enough to achieve the standard 1080p resolution, and then you add the goal of 60fps, it's even more difficult. You add the limited tools that still need to mature and the added difficulty of development environment.... and you see where I'm going with this.

So, with that context, you can see what I meant by saying I hope devs try for that on XBO too, but my expectations are more realistic for that platform.

Gbraga

I don't know why any PC gamers have their panties in a bunch over similar performance between PS4 and PC. You know it's not going to last, just like every other generation where consoles started at near upper PC levels. This time it's not even "upper PC levels" as the starting point.

Yes console players are loving the fact that they're getting "1080p on ultra" level graphics and sometimes at near 60fps, but that doesn't mean your next PC upgrade you buy later this year or next year won't completely decimate all consoles in performance.

This is always a 5-7 year cycle where console players get near PC-level performance for the first year or so of the new console and eventually regular gaming PC's obliterate all consoles during the later years of the 5-7 year generation.

Let people enjoy their 1080p/60fps performance news.

It's hyprocrisy at its finest. As a PC gamer myself, I'm really glad to see 1080p 60fps on PS4 and it's my console of choice. I hope we'll get that performance from those great japanese games that unfortunately don't find their way to PC and will be my main reason to buy a PS4.

The Phantom Pain at 60fps will be amazing. I wish FFXV was 60fps too.

I've always made a big deal about framerate and complained about console performance, but if we're getting 60fps on consoles now, why the fuck would I find another reason to complain? And I say that having played Outlast at 1440p and 60fps, so this is not even on par with the one I played, but it's great news anyway.

Top Bottom