• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast on PS4 runs at 1080p/60fps

In order to know more about the PS4 version, we got in touch with Philippe Morin, co-founder of development team Red Barrels.

The demand behind 60 frames per second – despite some damn good looking games like Ryse: Son of Rome running at 30 FPS – is as high as ever, and the question for a next gen release will always be whether or not it runs at full HD 60 FPS. Fortunately for PlayStation 4 users, Philippe has confirmed with GamingBolt that Outlast will run at 60 frames per second at 1080p resolution.

It was revealed not too long ago that the single core speed of the PlayStation 4′s CPU is lower than that found in a high-end PC. We asked whether this created any CPU thread management issues on the PS4, to which he replied: “We didn’t run into any issues. We’re using all the cores and the [amount of] RAM also helps.”

He also revealed that there are no differences between the PC and PlayStation 4 versions. “As far as we’re concerned, both versions look the same,” he said.
Via Gaming Bolt

jaaz

I'm not surprised. Played this through on my PC. It really isn't a very taxing game. But it is a pretty good game, particularly if you are fond of jump scares.

Oppo

1080p 60fps 3D isn't supported by hemisphere 1.4a.

It's 720p/60 or 1080/30 at the moment, but it may still be rendered at native 1080, just outputting at 720.

Yeah exactly. The actual HDMI port won't support the bandwidth for anything higher.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So looking forward to this more than any other game on the PS4 right now. :D

It's free for PS+ members starting Feb. 5, right?

Kinthalis

Banned
It was revealed not too long ago that the single core speed of the PlayStation 4′s CPU is lower than that found in a high-end PC.

Lol.

Like 75% slower. Of course you can bypass a lot of that CPU overhead in terms of 3D rendering... which is most of what this game does. It's not really a game where CPU or compute power is being utilized.

jaypah

1080p 60fps 3D isn't supported by hemisphere 1.4a.

It's 720p/60 or 1080/30 at the moment, but it may still be rendered at native 1080, just outputting at 720.

I think he was just excited by the prospect of 3D :p

I was going to play this anyway but if 3D is supported then I can't wait!

Cragvis

I never tried outlast before

its going to be free for ps+

its going to be 1080 and 60fps

WX0AqPb.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
But is it a locked 60fps??? I'd rather have 24fps per second than....ahhh I can't do it

lol
But seriously the other PS4 3D title was one of that rare breed that never ever drops.

Amir0x

Banned
Man how I do love to hear that together for a console - 1080p and 60fps. I hope many more devs try to reach this standard throughout the gen for PS4. I hope for it too on XBO, but my expectations are more realistic there :p

Outlast is an incredibly optimized game on PC. I went through it on an AMD A8-5500K APU (by itself) with just 1600 DDR3 Memory. It ran beautifully at 1080p Medium Settings and generally got 30+ FPS (sometimes hitting 50+), and in the 20's in a couple of spots. But overall it was very smooth. Red Barrels did an excellent job with the game.

And yes, yes, I know running games on an APU. But it does reasonably well with the games I have tried and have been contemplating getting a discreet card but I am not really a PC gamer (although recently have been getting more and more tempted).

cjp

This will sound ridiculous but does anyone know if it will do surround sound via DD or DTS?

Unsure if an independent studio would license DD or DTS but I'll be out of luck on my setup if it's only multi channel LPCM as it's hooked up via optical.

I hope so as surround is a must for a horror game like this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man how I do love to hear that together for a console - 1080p and 60fps. I hope many more devs try to reach this standard throughout the gen for PS4. I hope for it too on XBO, but my expectations are more realistic there :p

I'm starting to think that Shahid's 1080p/60fps tweet wasn't just talking about indies. I know Outlast is indie but it's actually got a modern 3D engine behind it. I really can't wait to see what this system can do in the next few years. It's already outputting more than I expected given the specs and it's still early.

Top Bottom