• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Outlook not good" for Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth on Wii U, N3DS and Vita

Man... no Vita would be incredibly disappointing. Of course I'll still play it on the PS4 but damn man. :(

Really gotta wonder what the hell they are doing when it struggles to run on the Vita. I imagine the new bosses are where they are running into performance issues with the number of shots and explosions on screen.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, Nicalis is really making a shit name for the indie scene. Where other indies are putting a lot of effort into porting and releasing as soon as possible in every region Nicalis is delaying the shit out of everything and is being cheap on releasing in Europe in timely manner.

I still haven't forgotten how rubbish they are treating the 90's Arcade Racer backers.

Holdfing

Shame. The Vita version of Rebirth is awesome now after a few patches. I only see it chug on boss rush when there's tons of shit on the screen. It used to be like 10 fps on boss rush all the time when it launched, now the worst I've seen is more like 20.

So basically he is saying that Afterbirth is more demanding than Xenoblade Chronicles X and Super Smash Bros U, and thus can't run on it?

Got it.

I suspect the way they are running the game on 3DS/WiiU and Vita is just use some kind of wrapper and call it a day. Only reason I would think BoI wouldn't run well on WiiU is because of the CPU. It's a relatively CPU-intensive game.

RK128

Considering the only reason we got a Vita version was likely due to Sony pushing it (with it coming to PS+ and all), it makes sense that he would be like "Well.....its just not worth our time man :l."

It bites but as someone who still has a LOT to dive into with Rebirth (....I suck at the game :'(), I don't mind hearing this news.

Occam

Not sure if I'd buy this on PS4. Probably not, as I've always only played Rebirth on Vita; it's one of the best portable games ever.

Uxj450L.png

Sooooo, the VITA can run this?

latest

Go home, Tyrone. You're drunk.

RK128

Damn, that guys is mislead badly :').

The Wii U is at the power level of the PS3/360 but a bit more powerful. Games like Yoshi's Woolly World, Smash 4, Mario Kart 8, 3D World, Xenoblade X and other prove that time and time again.

The Vita is in-between a PSP and a PS3 power wise. Its not more powerful then a PS3 but its far more powerful then what the PSP can pull off. So, that leads the console being able to match most PS3 games graphically but they have to cut stuff down or face performance issues or other problems (look at the NG: Sigma ports; the first Sigma looked great but ran at 30FPS and the second Sigma game had bad performance issues and it was below 30FPS).

Sony proved when they did care about the console with games like Killzone and Tearaway that the system can produce great looking games that matched the PS3 and other developers did that too (Dangrompa Another Episode looks amazing on Vita; native res, great frame rate and tight controls).

Nicalis are the worst.

Terrible PR and communication with the fans, every game release has some sort of problem or ten thousand year delay then they blame it on the console publishers every time for 'holding things up'. In PAL you're lucky if it's even a ten thousand year wait, 9 times out of 10 it's a forever wait.

Took over 4 months to fix the broken Achievements on Xbox One Isaac.

Then when asked if these games would come out in Australia/New Zealand for N3DS Tyrone said it wasn't needed and that everyone should just change the region to a store that has it available for purchase and give them money that way.... something that hasn't been doable on 3DS in years if you set up a NNID. :|

You cut indie developers some slack but these guys prove time and time again that they're completely inept. Many smaller, newer indie guys seem to manage much better than them which makes no sense.

The first time I tried to get our game to work on the Vita, it ran at sub 10 fps and crashed when trying to enter any large area. I realized that I had been taking for granted the power of the PS4 & your average computer to mask poorly optimized code so I went back, restructured a bunch of stuff, optimized a lot of code, and now the game runs well on the system.

I get that some games are just too ambitious and it's not reasonable to try to get them to run on a 3DS or Vita. However, if you have a low-res 2D indie game and can't get it to run properly on the Wii U, I'm going to guess it's a matter of having your priorities somewhere else more than anything.

XaosWolf

Well Cave Story could have a lot of stuff on screen at once to, so they can just work on it for a couple more years and then we should be almost good to go.

Why does Nicalis keep getting business? They have a track record of ridulous delays and buggy releases with litte to no fixes. Still glad that Spelunky was never handled by them.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How many of those games have a billion things happening on screen at the same time? The fact that the Vita can run them says nothing for Afterbirth, being pretty games does not mean they are taxing on the hardware.

Fair enough!

And I agree, we're speculating about what's happening here, as we don't know exactly what he's referring to.
What I posted about, and what I'm mostly taking issue with are the common reactions and claims of incompetency which basically amounts to writing "lazy devs", as seen above, when there are many other technical issues to consider.

See above, related to your first message and its wording.

(And just about Dragon's Crown and Rayman, they're pretty unrelated examples as their detailed aesthetics have no relation to the animation technique they use, which is fairly simple, and lack many of the visual effects and physics which could be the cause of Isaac's problems - see mclem's posts above. Also, they're both examples of very short levels requiring very little stored in memory at all times, etc... you get the idea :-D The fact that the Vita can run these says nothing about a game like Isaac, which has a whole other set of concerns altogether).
You were saying that rhe ram was the issue but the number of things on screens isn't what fills the ram, assets are what take most of the memory, a single texture rendered 1000 times is still a single texture on the ram, it may cause slowdowns because you render it 1000 times but it doesn't give memory problems.

Dragon's Crown for example on the other hand had lots of unique, beautiful, big and well animated sprites, landscapes etc, those fill the ram, not BOI assets that are small, few and repeated.

You point physics and number of sprites, but those are exactly what i pointed too in my previous post(if you don't know spritebatching is a way to draw fast many sprites), i just disagree on the ram being the problem and that the wiiu(and maybe Vita too) can't handle it if well optimized.

He's absolutely right.
ZOyZce5.jpg

OmICtWP.jpg

Barely any difference at all.
From the screenshot thread, this is RE:R on 3ds
scr_38_TOP_LEFT.png

And this is RE:R2 on Vita(not ported by Capcom)
VVtOoTK.jpg

Does it mean that the 3ds is more powerful than Vita?
He's obviously wrong though.

Yoshi88

Great, now that BoI:Rebirth WiiU/3DS launched in PAL a bit ago (finally!!) and their ambiguous statements about Afterbirth for these platforms shortly before release, they are now able to say "fuck it, we don't really care" basically. That's just bad communication, it always was seen as a matter of "when" not "if at all". Or even "Lol, console's too weak anyway".

I hate this habit of releasing versions on other platforms without supporting it properly like other versions (at least without very good reasons). A habit, I've seen way too often with early WiiU games.

I'd rather have them think if they can fulfill the wishes of their customers (that they themselves created by announcing the add-on, hyping it together with the WiiU/ 3DS (PAL) releases) on the desired platform before releasing.

(Btw. BoI is born for Off-Tv Play. Quick sessions while catching up with your favourite tv shows etc.)

Probably decided it was not worth the engineering effort wrt projected revenue.

There would be no reason not to say this in that case.
It's entirely possible that it's just Nicalis' fault, but then don't send Tyrone (and by extension the entire dev team) to take the brunt of the blow.

Shizuka

I think there is a fair share of developers that might be hiding behind the excuse that these systems are weaker than the PS4 or PC.

GameE

Er didn't Nicalis sponsor gonintendo for a full year so they wouldnt have ads? Maybe they should have spent that money on, you know, hiring more devs or putting it into their games >_>

Dingotech

If I can't have Afterbirth on my Vita I don't think I'll be playing it. :(

I've been playing Rebirth for hours on my Vita when I'm traveling or need to kill time, and I can't imagine playing it all again on my PC or PS4.

R00bot

From the screenshot thread, this is RE:R on 3ds
scr_38_TOP_LEFT.png

And this is RE:R2 on Vita(not ported by Capcom)
VVtOoTK.jpg

Does it mean that the 3ds is more powerful than Vita?
He's obviously wrong though.

Difference is you're comparing a new game to a remake and the other comparison was the same game on both systems.

I'll just get it on PS4. Unless he suddenly says THAT version is having problems. (LOL. But it could happen.. uh huh.)

Right now though, I'll be happy with optimized versions of the game on the Vita, N3DS, and Wii U. I'm okay if they just get those fully working and, maybe, add a little bit of the Afterbirth Content in that "works."

They could call it "The Binding of Isaac: Abortion Edition."

Because that would be amazing to see on the front page of the eShop.

I still can't believe this game is taxing on 3DS and Vita.

Particle Effects. Also, it's running on, like, unoptimized Unity or something.

Top Bottom