• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders demo | impressions thread

Areiz

Banned
Played the Demo yesterday, and I've found it pretty awesome. My money's are ready for the day one of this cool tps game

Mr.ODST

NEx8X9P.png
Wtf is this

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm enjoying it, feels like division with supernatural/sci-fi elements. Just what I wanted. I'm a sucker for these games so no brainer for me. Can't be worse then Avengers right?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

. . .the bit about early game-first 30 minutes of playing-loot feeling generic I had to laugh at. Like, "You don't say. . ."

I'm enjoying it, feels like division with supernatural/sci-fi elements. Just what I wanted. I'm a sucker for these games so no brainer for me. Can't be worse then Avengers right?

Far more enjoyable than Avengers. Particularly because they have pretty much laid out exactly what the story progression is as well as what you'll be doing at the end of the game. TIER system reminds me of Diablo/BL3 post-game systems.

. . .which isn't to say the game is flawless. It isn't but the foundation is absolutely there and with patches I imagine this is going to be a game with legs.

Last edited:
Story complaints. In a looter-shooter? Really?

. . .so you played what is basically a long cutscene and didn't bother to actually try out anything the game eventually gives you? Sounds legit.

. . .did you even bother to get out of the prologue?
Get a load of this shill.
Yeah, it's almost like this looter shooter takes a dog's age to get to the looting and shooting part of the looter shooter. It's about 50 minutes give-or-take of slow walking, cutscenes and loading screens up until that point.
How can that possibly be a valid complaint!
The actual looter shooter is a borefest as well.
Everything Lanrutcon Lanrutcon mentioned is 100% correct.
Outriders, more like Remnant from the Ashes 2.
Anyone else finding it surprisingly difficult?
No?

Lanrutcon

. . .the bit about early game-first 30 minutes of playing-loot feeling generic I had to laugh at. Like, "You don't say. . ."

It's pretty embarrassing when you can't even recall my post correctly, bud. Go give it another read and once you stop shaking, feel free to tell me how you really feel.

Thabass

That first side mission boss can fuck right off, that is some unfair bullshit, not only can he fully heal, he has a flame spiral attack that not only tracks you, it spans on you and you cannot take cover for long, so the enemies have free range on you in a small area with loads of objects around so even rolling doesn't help.

I'm not sold yet, it left an underwhelming impression on me and is definitely a wait for a sale game, then again its somewhat cheaper on PC where I played it, so could be good for a lull in releases
Yeah that boss was confusing, apparently you have to headshot him to kill him. He keeps healing himself after going down to 5% HP to almost full. Once I shot him in the head after using Tricket's Slow Aura manuver and got to headshot him, he finally died. Not sure what was up with that one.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's pretty embarrassing when you can't even recall my post correctly, bud. Go give it another read and once you stop shaking, feel free to tell me how you really feel.
. . .I mean, I did. You're complaint about early game (sorry I didn't put "30 minutes" in quotes to emphasize that you weren't meant to take that literally) loot feeling generic is a silly complaint given the nature of these games (this of course ignores that there are indeed weapons that aren't bog-standard commons in the demo, including legendaries, but it is best not to focus on that).

Yeah that boss was confusing, apparently you have to headshot him to kill him. He keeps healing himself after going down to 5% HP to almost full. Once I shot him in the head after using Tricket's Slow Aura manuver and got to headshot him, he finally died. Not sure what was up with that one.

I thought you were just meant to kill him a LOT of times. I guess I got a headshot off on the last kill, but I legit downed him more than three times. They really need to make some of those mechanics a lot clearer.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

. . .I mean, I did. You're complaint about early game (sorry I didn't put "30 minutes" in quotes to emphasize that you weren't meant to take that literally) loot feeling generic is a silly complaint given the nature of these games (this of course ignores that there are indeed weapons that aren't bog-standard commons in the demo, including legendaries, but it is best not to focus on that).
Apology accepted. Hostility between us aside, you're almost right. Why am I wrong to expect something better than Brown Cargo Pants #75 with 6% increased attack speed? It's been done before. And again and again, and better. Having some standards in terms of game mechanics for a game released in 2021 isn't a bad thing, dude. Outriders just looked at the competition and made zero effort to innovate or improve. The Division 2 exists today. Destiny 2 exists today. We should expect more than just recycling of what's already out there. And that really, is my main complaint against Outriders: it's already been done, better, with a bigger budget...and they're forcing online on this and charging as much as an AAA title.

I had a think about this as I was gluing a rocket launcher to a Rhino. Normally games like these would just go F2P and live off microtransactions in a year (because I'm calling it now: this won't sell according to expectations at $60) but the devs have been adamant that they aren't offering Outriders as a games-as-a-service title. So they're in a bit of a tricky spot. Tell you what though: this time next year, if I'm wrong and this game is thriving, feel free to quote me and make me eat some crow.

Vestal

Gold Member
My two cents from doing the Prologue..

Movement controls are a bit ugh.. Its one single speed when moving(well out side of sprint).. That aspect of it feels very last gen.. Combat is good, and will dig further to see more.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The enemies just spawning out of nowhere really annoys me, like it's not fair when 3 or 4 enemies spawn directly behind me and take half my health, I don't even get a chance
It's entirely fair, the design is as such that the game will assume that you are constantly moving, this is not a cover shooter. You have to play it like DOOM and not gears of war.
If you dig in and stay in one place, you only got yourself to blame.

People gave Bungie a pass for shit story telling, saying it was Activision. Then comes Destiny 2 and they milk and nickle and dime the customer
Anthem is a complete clusterfuck that got shut down.
Warframe to me is also nickle and diming, sure its free, but most of it needs to be paid for through packs - with some story elements which is eeeeh ok fine.
Division had story but barely acknowledged the player character. Also holy shit the bulletsponge in Division and Destiny is hilarious.

This game has agressive gameplay = you don't have to sit behind cover unless you fuck up bad, but ok
THERE IS ACTUALLY A STORY, AND OH MY GOD MY CHARACTER ACTUAL IS GETTING ACKNOWLEDGED in the cutscenes, and has really good voice acting
The combat with four different classes is great, and provides a varied gameplay.
Graphics looks great on PC, no idea on consoles.

Also yeah its a linear game with a story, I would rather take that then Anthem's flying around to find enemies, Divsion was actually the same and nobody complained about it. Warframe has ? three open worlds and the rest is completely randomly generated rooms once again.

This game is great, superb and cuts out all the bullshit fat that most of these looter shooters have , which is bulletsponges, and shitty fucking abilities that take 10 minutes to charge, and then it barely causes a dent in the enemies.

Yes I am fanboying over the game, but only cause I actually finished the game during the Xbox preview event, and people calling this game average is fucking hilarious. It actually solves most of the issues these looter shooters have, where it actually distils it so you can get to the meat of the combat.
I would rather take this story then : WELL SHIT THERE'S A WIZARD ON THE MOON,

Or : Garble garble random ancient world collapsed due to the Anthem and humanity fighting something blabla.

Game is a solid 8/10 and people bitching about this are hilarious , as they let Bungie and Bioware rip them off for years, but a dev team provides a demo, and a unique gameplay and act like it's rotten cheese.

Also the enemis don't spawn from thin air, they come out from doors , and tunnels much similar to Borderlands....

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That was pretty obvious when you called a Division reskin in 2021 "unique gameplay".
1. this isn't a cover shooter.
2. enemies aren't bullet sponges.
3. aggressive run and gun gameplay keeps you alive.
4. enemies barely drop any loot, so you're not stuck in menus comparing which green arrows go up the best all the time.
5. abilities refresh super fast, encouraging you to just use them all the time.

How is any of the above remotely similar to the division?

Phase

Here's my short summary: It tries to do things we see in other games (Division, Destiny, Gears) but doesn't do any of those as good as the games it tries to emulate. The skills are pretty cool and to me the only thing in the game I enjoyed. Everything else is mediocre. Not enough for me to buy.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

1. this isn't a cover shooter.
2. enemies aren't bullet sponges.
3. aggressive run and gun gameplay keeps you alive.
4. enemies barely drop any loot, so you're not stuck in menus comparing which green arrows go up the best all the time.
5. abilities refresh super fast, encouraging you to just use them all the time.

How is any of the above remotely similar to the division?

I just want to clarify your post real quick before I respond: you're saying the third person shooter that prominently teaches you the importance of cover in the tutorial, has a control scheme centered around utilising cover, features its cover system in almost every piece of marketing footage and has every single arena excessively filled with waist high walls for cover to the point of hilarity isn't a cover shooter?

I think your posts have peaked. I genuinely do not think you'll ever top that one. Some kind of limit has been breached, and God help us all from here on out.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This is false, and can easily be verified by playing the actual game.

. . . WARFRAME isn't pay to play? Hooboy.

I just want to clarify your post real quick before I respond: you're saying the third person shooter that prominently teaches you the importance of cover in the tutorial, has a control scheme centered around utilising cover, features its cover system in almost every piece of marketing footage and has every single arena excessively filled with waist high walls for cover to the point of hilarity isn't a cover shooter?

By prominently you mean flashes the button for it in one section and then lets you know you can - if you want - move cover to cover. Prominently.

. . .
also what marketing material are you watching? The game has been pretty up front with the fact that you are meant to engage your enemies. Healing is tied to this for pretty much every character (particularly the up close melee ones).

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
That was some of the worst trash I have played in some time. Holy shit, this is what the industry thinks people want nowdays? We're in deep shit, folks.

- The graphics are fucking terrible
- The voice acting is even worse
- CUTSCENE loading screen CUTSCENE loading screen CUTSCENE loading screen
- Just let me skip the entire cutscene instead of making me hammer the escape..I mean space..no I mean escape...Jesus game, pick one?
- It's a cover based shooter where your character doesn't get in cover unless you specifically target a sweet spot on the cover and press space at exactly the right time (I'm sure that'll be SUPER FUN in challenging content)
- Oh hey, generic loot so generic it makes vanilla Destiny look like the peak of creativity
- It would be nice if my guns fired bullets instead of harsh language (The Division syndrome!)
- Waist high walls? I guess this is where the next fight is! The combat arenas (and that's all the game is) were designed by an intern from Gears 5. A particularly untalented one!
- Skill pool has about as much depth as your typical Euro-trash shooter
- I love being locked in small arenas with enemies that magically get vomited out from a spawn location until an invisible bar is filled
- ...and who doesn't love shooter games with melee enemies that move like Sonic the Hedgehog and don't have hitstun

I bailed after a few hours. This is the Division, but with half the talent and budget. We must be experiencing some kind of serious gaming drought to even consider playing this kind of garbage for $60.

Wow now I'm actually curious to test it. I'll post my thoughts as well once I go through with it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Because that's what you said, right? Go sit down somewhere, the adults are talking and apparently this game isn't a cover based shooter.

I didn't say that at all actually. I think you're juggling a bit too many replies: you're getting your flaming all mixed up.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That's disingenuous
A cover shooter is a third person shooter that focusses entirely on cover based combat.
Kill.switch was the first, and then gears refined it.

Or in other words (1) a cover shooter is a third person shooter where you are at a distinct disadvantage when you aren't in cover; all the ones that we know of follow this explicit core gameplay loop, kill.switch, gears, division etc.. all get you torn the fuck up if you aren't in cover, even more so on higher difficulties, this becomes even more the focus when you have health that regenerates, and regenerates faster in cover

Or in other words (2) a cover shooter is a third person shooter where you dig in and take potshots at enemies, while you take damage up to a point where you have to duck down again and wait for your health to regenerate.
Cover shooters also prominently have AI that tries to flush you out of cover by means of flanking or grenades.

Or in other words (3), a cover shooter is a third person shooter, where you have to prioritise enemies that try to flank you or ones that can throw explosives.

Outriders is none of that.
The game even says cover is for cowards.
Are you a coward Lanrutcon Lanrutcon ?

bender

What time is it?
did you do the side mission where you have to save the two enemies that are trapped together?

I did the next story mission after Chang where there are two boss encounters (Pyro guy, Electro guy). I then deleted the demo. It's so very bad.

Lanrutcon

I didn't say that at all actually. I think you're juggling a bit too many replies: you're getting your flaming all mixed up.

No, not really. The only stuff you need to buy in Warframe is the Steam cosmetics which are made by third-party creators. Everything else is painfully easy to get to the point where it gets farmed in a few days by everyone and then the community complains that it was too easy. So they started adding time gates to the openworld content (the faction grinds) in order to slow people down but that's all it did. Even that content is like a drop in the ocean of the stuff available, which you get through relic farming, is freely tradable and can be bought for the premium currency. I put like over a thousand hours into that game. Maybe it's changed drastically in the last year or so, but man was it forgiving before that. But don't take my word for it, there's a wiki. Go through the frames and guns and check where you earn stuff. All that being said, now that DE has been bought things are probably going to change.

That's disingenuous
A cover shooter is a third person shooter that focusses entirely on cover based combat.

Ah, I see. Entirely. The small print. Was wondering how you'd paint your crazy to sell it.

Look, you can double down on that funny hill you're choosing to die on but the game is a cover based shooter to everyone who isn't desperately trying to defend its shortcomings. I can't really begin to address your points when the very first one is based in lalaland. Which is probably why you put it there. Bravo.

Last edited:
Behold, the epic story of Mr. Chang.
Part 1 (I barely knew the):

Part 2 (They call me Lady Vengeance):

Part 3 (Aftermath):

Now excuse my while I run to pre-order this masterpiece.

Wow. Amazing. A masterpiece.

I too will preorder this game, my good sir.

*tips fedora and gives out a smirk*

GymWolf

Oh there's an impressions thread. Whoops, I posted this elsewhere:
Played a few hours with friends last night and we had a blast. The story is 1000x better than Destiny already, I'm super intrigued over where it's going.

That said, it is kinda janky. Especially the cover mechanics and vaulting.

So yeah, I'm digging it so far.

I will say this, though: I wasn't expecting such jank from the developers of Bulletstorm. From what I remember, that game was really fluid and smooth. As a result of the jankiness, the gunplay in this game reminded me a lot of Remnant From the Ashes.
Except remnant was not janky.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Look, you can double down on that funny hill you're choosing to die on but the game is a cover based shooter to everyone who isn't desperately trying to defend its shortcomings.
It's not "my hill to die on", when it's the people who developed it saying you shouldn't use cover and be aggressive instead.
But I guess you know better and disagree with the devs and are indeed a coward.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

I played for an hour this morning and liked it. Seems to have an actual story where your character talks. I like that as opposed to Destiney where your character is silent. Is this going to be like borderlands where everything can be done solo or will there be parts where you need other people. Combat was smooth on series X

Phase

It's not "my hill to die on", when it's the people who developed it saying you shouldn't use cover and be aggressive instead.

This just reinforces the notion they didn't know what they were doing or what they wanted to do creating the game. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Hey we made this cover system and it's really important, but don't use it or you're a coward...

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
This just reinforces the notion they didn't know what they were doing or what they wanted to do creating the game. Doesn't inspire confidence.
How?
They want you to be aggresive.
The cover is still there if you want to play it like gears. It just makes it way harder for yourself.
It also stops enemies just running at you like it's painkiller (and since they made painkiller I'm sure they know exactly what they are doing.)

I played for an hour this morning and liked it. Seems to have an actual story where your character talks. I like that as opposed to Destiney where your character is silent. Is this going to be like borderlands where everything can be done solo or will there be parts where you need other people. Combat was smooth on series X
Everything can be done, solo even the Endgame grind but you won't be able to do the max difficulties.

Ogbert

I imagine the original idea was for it to be much more of a cover based shooter to start with, but incorporating the powers meant they had to have to running around. As a result, healing is all based around leech.

It’s.....odd.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Look, you can double down on that funny hill you're choosing to die on but the game is a cover based shooter to everyone who isn't desperately trying to defend its shortcomings. I can't really begin to address your points when the very first one is based in lalaland. Which is probably why you put it there. Bravo.

You should tell Square Enix that their marketing campaign for this game is wrong.

Phase

How?
They want you to be aggresive.
The cover is still there if you want to play it like gears. It just makes it way harder for yourself.
It also stops enemies just running at you like it's painkiller (and since they made painkiller I'm sure they know exactly what they are doing.)
Painkiller was a very focused game that let you know how to play from the get go. Outriders does at least push you into being aggressive, but sets it up all wrong by emphasizing this cover system right from the very beginning. The game tells you how to play, but weirdly tells you the wrong way. It's only after you start realizing how ineffective the cover system is that you change your playstyle.

This is what gives me the notion the devs didn't know what they wanted.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
but sets it up all wrong by emphasizing this cover system right from the very beginning. The game tells you how to play, but weirdly tells you the wrong way.
This just seems like the "unreliable narrator" trope, because at first it does seem like that's the way, but then it quickly subverts expectations when abilities come into play.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I doubt they'll go update the tutorial to reflect that tweet, remove the hundreds and hundreds of waist high walls, redo the control scheme and rebalance the game now.

Because they could have done that before releasing the demo of their cover based shooter.
Ah yes, because in the 2 months from that tweet to the release of the demo they completely changed the type of game it is.

Ogbert

Possibly, I think they want to give players a bit of a "shock", like going into cover but then realising not really having any advantage at all.
I don’t think it was by design.

The game doesn’t really know what it wants to be. It has a very significant cover mechanic and encounters have seemingly been designed around it. But then, they’ve created characters with abilities on short cooldown that require you to run around. The leech also makes *zero* sense.

I think they changed halfway through development.

You shouldn’t actually have to tell people how to play the game. Good game design teaches the player itself. I think they realised people would get confused and frustrated.

Top Bottom