• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders demo | impressions thread

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This just reinforces the notion they didn't know what they were doing or what they wanted to do creating the game. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Hey we made this cover system and it's really important, but don't use it or you're a coward...

I legit don't get the "the cover system is key. . ." arguments, especially after you choose your path it is pretty clear that healing is going to be tied to getting aggressive with the enemy (meaning NOT being in cover). I mean the Tricksters abilities are all focused on you being right next to the enemy. Who plays that and thinks "Yeah but remember when you told me to hit X a few hours ago in the beginning - why are you being contradictory!"

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The game doesn’t really know what it wants to be.
I don't think being different from the mold, means the devs didn't know what they wanted.
Having cover systems doesn't mean that's where they wanted the focus to be. And even in encounters you see the same behaviour: regular mobs will go into cover, but the powered enemies don't give a fuck about cover; it almost seems like the cover is just there for the enemies sake, otherwise you'd just swat them away like:
jTasMb.gif
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

But agree to disagree I guess.

Lanrutcon

Ah yes, because in the 2 months from that tweet to the release of the demo they completely changed the type of game it is.

That's a great point. Why release the demo with such a focus on the cover system after that tweet? Like, did something change or is it just incompetence or what? Their messaging is crazy weird, especially when it's such a derivative title. If they wanted to, let's say, distance themselves from Gears or the Division and not come off like a cheap substitute then scrap the fucking cover system for the love of God. You're making me wonder if there isn't some kind of weird story behind the development process of this game.

I legit don't get the "the cover system is key. . ." arguments, especially after you choose your path it is pretty clear that healing is going to be tied to getting aggressive with the enemy (meaning NOT being in cover). I mean the Tricksters abilities are all focused on you being right next to the enemy. Who plays that and thinks "Yeah but remember when you told me to hit X a few hours ago in the beginning - why are you being contradictory!"

With my Trickster I am literally never in cover. Literally. Never. I am behind you, shooting you in the fucking head with my shotgun and slicing your ass apart with my blades.

With my Pyro, I am in cover sometimes.

With my Techno I am in cover pretty often.

I like that there are distinctly difference playstyles. You can play how you like. This especially shines in co-op. The co-op synergies are, frankly, fantastic.

People who insist on playing the whole game solo might not get the most out of it, but that's normal with these kind of games.

Again, as I said before, there are issues here, especially on console, that I hope get ironed out by launch date, but I have played enough to say I will get a solid 30+ hours out of this at least.

(self own: I admit, I said same thing about Anthem. Gotta fully disclose that. But this feels better than Anthem, imo, even with its flaws)

Last edited:

wOs

Because that's what you said, right? Go sit down somewhere, the adults are talking and apparently this game isn't a cover based shooter.
What's with your attitude towards everyone?

Last time I checked being an adult meant not acting like a childish bully.

Have a conversation like a civilized person.

((hug))

on topic will download this weekend. After the acg video I was pretty soured on trying it, glad to see some people enjoying it.

Last edited:
From the dev's Mantra's of Survival video before the demo dropped

"The scared hide, and the hesitant die"

evdzMvg.png
nSw0aIm.png

Almost like they were trying to tell us something......

Lanrutcon

What's with your attitude towards everyone?

Listen here you litte sh...er...I mean.

I just went through the thread. I have been mean to exactly two people, one of which thinks Eddie Murphy gifs is some form of counterargument and the other who misquoted me. I am currently having a civilized conversion with the latter.

Reactions: wOs

Ogbert

Having cover systems doesn't mean that's where they wanted the focus to be.
Then why include it?

It's not so much the ability to take cover, as a one off. Rather, why include a button prompt, a la Division, that allows you to hop from one barrier to the next? So far, every battle seems to be based in an 'arena' with cover littered everywhere, as if it wants you to progress from one side of the other, via cover. If it's not important, a vast majority of it becomes redundant.

Obviously, completely agree that that's not how you should play - you need to be as aggressive as possible to maintain health. But if that's the case, make the cover mechanic much, *much* more dynamic.

It feels like it should have a slide button instead, where you duck behind something and then immediately pop out again.

The balance at the moment feels off.

Ogbert

Almost like they were trying to tell us something......
Yes. That design changed halfway through, the long distance gunplay isn't good enough, the skills are imbalanced and don't lend themselves to cover, so we therefore removed the on-demand heals from most characters and instead added a weird leech system that doesn't really make sense.

GymWolf

I feel stupid...i already have a square enix account, what the hell do i have to do to play this fucking demo on ps5?! :lollipop_squinting:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yes. That design changed halfway through, the long distance gunplay isn't good enough, the skills are imbalanced and don't lend themselves to cover, so we therefore removed the on-demand heals from most characters and instead added a weird leech system that doesn't really make sense.

. . .what doesn't make sense about the healing system? They are all pretty straight forward and encourage getting in and fighting to various degrees for the characters.

As for cover being in the game if it isn't emphasized: it's a shooter, you kind of need it. No one plays flawlessly and a mistake in combat can be fixed by backing off and returning to cover while your cooldowns reset.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That's a great point. Why release the demo with such a focus on the cover system after that tweet? Like, did something change or is it just incompetence or what? Their messaging is crazy weird, especially when it's such a derivative title. If they wanted to, let's say, distance themselves from Gears or the Division and not come off like a cheap substitute then scrap the fucking cover system for the love of God. You're making me wonder if there isn't some kind of weird story behind the development process of this game.
Here's the full bit instead of the snippet from the tweet.

The powers in the game go through, under, around walls to either pull enemies out of cover, allow you to get around the cover, or outright kill groups of them in massive aoes. All your healing is based around using your powers to wipe out enemies quickly and in large numbers. You can go from a sliver of health to a full bar if you manage to kill mobs quickly. If you go into cover for any length of time, you have grenades landing beside you very quickly, a sniper staggering you out of it or Captain/Altered powers flushing you out. This demo actively punishes you for staying in cover for more than a couple seconds.

The only times I've used cover in the demo after the prologue is to quickly close distance on someone like a sniper if there's no close enemy around that I can slingshot off of.

But you do make a good point. The prologue did itself a massive disservice with how they first introduce you to the game especially by introducing you to the cover system first before your powers. Hell, I probably would have treated it like a cover shooter if I hadn't seen the above youtube vid and also the fact that I've played Bulletstorm which gave me a good idea of the type of game People Can Fly likes to make and how they generally intend you to play.

I think there's also the fact that the powers don't really open up until you start equipping blues at which point you're throwing powers out every couple seconds, completely obliterating everyone within a 50 foot radius, and staying in cover is actually severely limiting you.

Mind you, this is all based off the demo and basically the prologue of the game. The full game could be drastically different. Regardless, I've had fun with it so far, so I'm definitely interested in seeing how it turns out once the full game is live.

Last edited:

Ogbert

As for cover being in the game if it isn't emphasized: it's a shooter, you kind of need it.
But in this game, you don't really need it. Well, not from what we've seen so far.

You can hide and wait for a quarter of your bar to fill, but after that you need to got and shoot something. Perhaps, at higher difficulties, you will need it to wait for your interrupt ability to recharge (which seems to be the longest cooldown).

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you on how the game is supposed to be played. I just don't think the mechanics really gel. And if cover is used solely to wait for abilities to recharge, they should reduce the amount of cover available and make the movement more dynamic.

Anyway, off to give it another go now.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Installed the game, I was excited to try it. The first step was to create a SE account. Why?
Deleted it straight away!
I was pissed too but my anger turned into bewilderment when it turned out I already had an account. Don't ask me from what game.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I doubt they'll go update the tutorial to reflect that tweet, remove the hundreds and hundreds of waist high walls, redo the control scheme and rebalance the game now.

Because they could have done that before releasing the demo of their cover based shooter.
They basically developed a Gears of War clone (due to working on a Gears game before), probably was afraid of getting sued by Microsoft and so abandoned it at the last minute.

Pop

Yeah I'm digging it. Combat and story seem pretty good so far.

I think the game has way more too offer then what people are assuming.

Sygma

Had hilarious times with this demo, the writing is also good and from what I've gathered about the beta, its going to be some good shit at endgame since it will be resolved strictly around time trials in harsh conditions.

Funnily enough, few times I've died was when I actually was taking cover but as soon as I started sprinting + melee everywhere inbetween power cooldowns and gnashing everything around, it became a cakewalk basically. Devastator for me was the best class and I'll be grabbing this for 30 bucks on a cd key site

Trickster is really fun to play as. Pyro and Technomancer aren't. I had a good time with the demo, but the most damning thing i can say about it. Is i have no urge to play the demo again. Which 9 times out of 10 with a beta or something, i will play it more than the day it launches. Heck the Anthem and Avengers betas i played nonstop until they expired. You just get sent out into these small linear maps. And then after completing it there is no respawning enemies to return to or anything. U can just play the mission again i guess?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Had hilarious times with this demo, the writing is also good and from what I've gathered about the beta, its going to be some good shit at endgame since it will be resolved strictly around time trials in harsh conditions.

Funnily enough, few times I've died was when I actually was taking cover but as soon as I started sprinting + melee everywhere inbetween power cooldowns and gnashing everything around, it became a cakewalk basically. Devastator for me was the best class and I'll be grabbing this for 30 bucks on a cd key site

I think the story is good - or at least it has a straight narrative that isn't trying to be more than it needs to be (ANTHEM and DESTINY spring to mind). The cutscene direction though REALLY hurts the story they are trying to tell and some of the VA work is inconsistent.

. . other than that they've laid some good groundwork for killing things come April.

SCB3

I played for an hour this morning and liked it. Seems to have an actual story where your character talks. I like that as opposed to Destiney where your character is silent. Is this going to be like borderlands where everything can be done solo or will there be parts where you need other people. Combat was smooth on series X

Your character in Destiny talks, not much in 2 but they did more in 1

Varteras

Gold Member
Even as a demo this felt like it lacked A LOT of polish. Captions not showing up when they're talking. Audio desyncing with the image on screen. The cutscenes often felt like they ended or switched perspectives too abruptly. The character you play constantly being referred to as Outrider or Boss by people who should be much more intimate with you made it impossible for me to take any emotional connections seriously. Visually, the demo on PS4 Pro looks.... rough. Blurring, texture pop-in, and only passable character models. The level design is just boring to me. Uninspiring. So far I only tried the Technomancer and I was not impressed. Behind cover my trajectory arrow was always a pain to see where what I was throwing would land. I played for a couple hours and I'm planning on doing it again later today with friends but I am not at all impressed.

I knew nothing about this game before playing the demo. The story went from a K-Mart Mass Effect to mother fucking Mad Max in the blink of an eye. Did not see that coming.

The game is pretty generic so far. Not terrible but not great either. Gameplay feels like a discount Gears of War. Like imagine Gears but if all the weapons had the impact of a pop gun.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Even as a demo this felt like it lacked A LOT of polish. Captions not showing up when they're talking. Audio desyncing with the image on screen. The cutscenes often felt like they ended or switched perspectives too abruptly. The character you play constantly being referred to as Outrider or Boss by people who should be much more intimate with you made it impossible for me to take any emotional connections seriously. Visually, the demo on PS4 Pro looks.... rough. Blurring, texture pop-in, and only passable character models. The level design is just boring to me. Uninspiring. So far I only tried the Technomancer and I was not impressed. Behind cover my trajectory arrow was always a pain to see where what I was throwing would land. I played for a couple hours and I'm planning on doing it again later today with friends but I am not at all impressed.
Yeah the thechnomancer felt wrong, I had more fun with pyro and tank.

This is false, and can easily be verified by playing the actual game.

That was pretty obvious when you called a Division reskin in 2021 "unique gameplay".
Lol the game plays nothing like the Division have you actually tried it? Oh and it’s def not a cover shooter not even close so you can quit repeating that. It wants you to play aggressively at all times hell the healing system being set up the way it is proves that.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Lol the game plays nothing like the Division have you actually tried it? Oh and it’s def not a cover shooter not even close so you can quit repeating that. It wants you to play aggressively at all times hell the healing system being set up the way it is proves that.

Oh hey. Welcome to the thread! You're like, 4 hours late for the conversation. Have fun reading everything, because smarter people than you already had this discussion. I doubt you have anything to contribute except poor grammar and the overuse of internet slang that people stop using when they reach adulthood.

(ah shit, that makes 3 people! sorry, W w0s )

Last edited:

SCB3

I have a few thoughts

• This feels like a game from 2009, very clear Mass Effect 2 vibes from the controls
  • The story seems ok, I liked it more once the prologue was done
  • It feels buggy, there were multiple times I couldn't take cover, or I'd jump over the cover instead
  • The enemies just spawning out of nowhere really annoys me, like it's not fair when 3 or 4 enemies spawn directly behind me and take half my health, I don't even get a chance
  • the skills are cool, I played as a Tank class, seems good
  • That first side mission boss can fuck right off, that is some unfair bullshit, not only can he fully heal, he has a flame spiral attack that not only tracks you, it spans on you and you cannot take cover for long, so the enemies have free range on you in a small area with loads of objects around so even rolling doesn't help.

I'm not sold yet, it left an underwhelming impression on me and is definitely a wait for a sale game, then again its somewhat cheaper on PC where I played it, so could be good for a lull in releases

Alright I went back to it a few hours later and managed to get past this boss after a few more attempts, it reminds of Remnant: from the Ashes a lot, which is not a bad thing, the checkpoints are super forgiving as well, straight back into the action, which I like a lot.

The Demo's last boss is actually super easy though compared to the Side Mission bosses, so that maybe where the good content will be?

Still I'm not 100% sold, but its got a month to go for fixes, so I can imagine the final game being a solid 7 or 8/10 game

Phase

After playing a couple characters I've come to the conclusion that this game is wholly mediocre, and I think people are so desperate for a good game nowadays they will grasp at anything.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It actually reminds me a lot of The Division, and The Division 2 was one of my fave games from last gen.

Banned
PC players beware:
9QQwAXO.jpg

Well it is a shooter game.

don't come at me with that PC mouse and keyboard masterrace bullshit, I'll destroy you in any (good) shooter on controller any time :lollipop_horns:
too bad there are still incompetent idiot devs out there like these who still haven't learned how to properly do controller aiming. incompetent fucks.

for real, any developer who works on a shooter like this should be forced to play Apex Legends and Warframe on controller for 200h. there you got the 2 gold standards for First Person Shooter controls and Third Person Shooter controls on controller. so that they can feel how much of a terrible job they have done on their own shitty ass game

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

The cowboys arm is clipping through his coat in this cutscene...

This is so fucking ridiculous.....

How do you not see that? It looks absolutely ridiculous.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Seems like a mix of Defiance and Division. The cutscene and voice acting is cringy. The story is ridiculously bad so far. The shooting is boring, typical 3rd person cover. The graphics are not good. This game has bomb written all over it unless it has a great gameplay loop and end game.

GymWolf

The game is fun to play and at least on ps5 the graphics are perfectly fine for a AA title.

The controls\cover are a bit janky tho.

The tank class play a lot like the tank class in anthem except the flying around, running around smashing enemies from close distance with melee and abilities with the occasional shotgun to the face.

And this is clearly not a classic cover shooter except for when you need a small pause to recharge weapons or abilities, enemies spam granades and come at you far more aggressively than gears and moving around the map is more easy because there is far less of the gears exagerated zoom on the characters while sprinting and the character itself turn angles more easily (sorry i don't know how to explain myself better).

The gunplay is decent and the gore is good, i was expecting a little better tho, destiny2 or division2 this is not.

Story and chara are acceptable for the type of game, onestly better than destiny 2 and anthem first hours, cutscenes are pretty buggy tho.

It's not gonna win any award and it has 68-72 Mc written all over it (for people who cares about scores) but it's a decent game to kill time while waiting for bigger releases.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Played some more on PC. Cutscenes need some love on PC its really jarring hitting these 30fps speed bumps. The getting in and out of cover seems a bit off as well. Overall really enjoying it so I preordered. Sure some of these things will be addressed by launch.

Thabass

. . .I mean, I did. You're complaint about early game (sorry I didn't put "30 minutes" in quotes to emphasize that you weren't meant to take that literally) loot feeling generic is a silly complaint given the nature of these games (this of course ignores that there are indeed weapons that aren't bog-standard commons in the demo, including legendaries, but it is best not to focus on that).

I thought you were just meant to kill him a LOT of times. I guess I got a headshot off on the last kill, but I legit downed him more than three times. They really need to make some of those mechanics a lot clearer.
Could be. I genuinely don't really know how to kill him. I could be completely wrong.

GymWolf

Played some more on PC. Cutscenes need some love on PC its really jarring hitting these 30fps speed bumps. The getting in and out of cover seems a bit off as well. Overall really enjoying it so I preordered. Sure some of these things will be addressed by launch.
They already confirmed no 30 fps block at launch for cutscenes.

Lone Wolf

I put in about 3 hours. Controls are a bit janky. Cutscenes make me dizzy. its mindless fun but I wouldn’t spend $60 on this.

Top Bottom