• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders demo | impressions thread

Larvana

I knew nothing about this game before I saw that the demo was up on the PSN. Downloaded it and was amazed by how bad the character customization was. Dark Souls Remake has more options than this and they didn't even have to expand upon that aspect of the game.

The female VA is so flat and just poorly done. Gameplay doesn't feel tight or better than other options already out there. This feels like A GAAS game that won't take off at all.
It's not GAAS, ffs.

MiguelItUp

I finally gave it a shot and thought it was... fine. The graphics and performance are pretty solid. The story I honestly didn't care about. I eventually found myself just skipping the dialogue and cutscenes cause it just felt so uninspired to me, unfortunately. The characters as well.

The gameplay was the best part, but even then it felt like nothing new. Nothing was striking me that felt particularly good about it. A part of me almost wanted to preorder it because I really want a new solid game, and it comes out next month. But the truth is, I didn't find anything about it particularly interesting or great. We've played games like this several years ago, and some of them did what this was trying to do, better.

Just my opinion of course! I'm sure there are people that played it and are super hyped about it. I'm envious of those folks!

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I just played through the demo on PS5 and PC. Performance was okay. Seemed solid on PS5, and wandered between 65-100 on PC, depending on what was happening - mostly around the 75 fps mark though. It was fine.

Game's bollocks though, isn't it? It's a looter shooter which looks like it comes from the 'Defiance' B-team. People in here swear that it isn't GAAS, but it sure as fuck feels like it. The character models are all insanely ugly - what is with this trend of making all female character designs as ridiculously hideous as humanly possible? These women are all fucking chuds, and the fact that you can't make a character who doesn't look like an angry lesbian with an underbite might play well to Giant Bomb and Resetera, but fuck is it hard to look at.

And, the game was Gears Of War-level hiding behind boxes while getting swarmed by bullet sponge enemies and picking up loot which is incrementally better than whatever it is that you have. It's just dire. Who cares. Was anyone actually screaming for this kind of thing in 2021? Who the fuck is this game even made for?

Nah. No thanks. Maybe when there's the deepest of all sales, and it's proven itself not to be another Anthem. But, that day will never come, so it's more broadly a nah.

LucidFlux

Played for maybe a couple hours over the weekend. Overall it felt a bit janky both in presentation and gameplay. Tried the Pyro, ability animations are really awesome, the rest is kinda meh. I'll give it another couple hours to see if it sucks me in.

JayK47

I just played through the demo on PS5 and PC. Performance was okay. Seemed solid on PS5, and wandered between 65-100 on PC, depending on what was happening - mostly around the 75 fps mark though. It was fine.

Game's bollocks though, isn't it? It's a looter shooter which looks like it comes from the 'Defiance' B-team. People in here swear that it isn't GAAS, but it sure as fuck feels like it. The character models are all insanely ugly - what is with this trend of making all female character designs as ridiculously hideous as humanly possible? These women are all fucking chuds, and the fact that you can't make a character who doesn't look like an angry lesbian with an underbite might play well to Giant Bomb and Resetera, but fuck is it hard to look at.

And, the game was Gears Of War-level hiding behind boxes while getting swarmed by bullet sponge enemies and picking up loot which is incrementally better than whatever it is that you have. It's just dire. Who cares. Was anyone actually screaming for this kind of thing in 2021? Who the fuck is this game even made for?

Nah. No thanks. Maybe when there's the deepest of all sales, and it's proven itself not to be another Anthem. But, that day will never come, so it's more broadly a nah.
This ugly women trend in gaming is really off putting. And I am not surprised it sounds very bland while ripping off better games. So far 2021 is not looking that great for game releases.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
This ugly women trend in gaming is really off putting. And I am not surprised it sounds very bland while ripping off better games. So far 2021 is not looking that great for game releases.
It's really, really strange. It seems that in the rush to ensure that fictional female characters don't appeal to the interests of leering heterosexual men, major game studios have decided that the best way to depict a woman onscreen is to make sure that she is as unfeminine, masculine, and butt ugly as is humanly possible. It's really, really weird. It's like they think that their choices are a bald female space marine with an underbite or Ivy from Soul Calibur, with nothing in between.

GymWolf

you can replay all story missions again if you want.
Does world tier 5 has any sensible difference from tier 4? Because tier is easy as fuck if you play aggressive, so if tier 5 is similar i have no reason to even try that (i'm gonna wait for the complete game and higher world tiers)

Last edited:

Larvana

"Was anyone actually screaming for this kind of thing in 2021? Who the fuck is this game even made for?" That's like me asking who the fuck asked for your opinion then.

What is fascinating is how many people are suddenly excited or want to be excited for this type of a game like Destiny, Divison, Gears or whatever other GaaS game I don’t give a fuck doesn’t exists. In terms of visuals and gameplay it’s definition of euro-jank. Floating cursor was most cringe moment I’ve seen recently in gaming. Like, c’mon, seriously? I know you wanna be next Destiny but please.

I can see Square Enix getting behind this project having an impact, it certainly had on me. And if that was beta I could understand all the jank, you would still have time to polish, but no, game is about to launch soon! Not looking too promising.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Pretty sure DESTINY wasn't the first use the "floating cursor" and they sure as hell haven't been the last. Not sure why - of all thing - THAT is what is getting folks dander up.
Yeah i already readed that, i was just asking if in your opinion world tier was sensibly more difficult than tier 4.

Solo the difficulty definitely ramps up. I imagine with co-op the lower half of the World Tier won't be that rough; however there have already been videos of high level World Tiers and they do look rough. Here is a video of IGN trying to get to WT15 and - "lulz IGN" jokes aside - it looks pretty chaotic.

]

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
went back and played some destiny 2 and man outriders doesn't compare. Canned my preorder. After getting burnt on so many of these games (division 2, anthem, avengers) I'll just wait for a sale if I have to get it. Hopefully the Cyberpunk PC patch hits shortly before it comes out so I got something else to play.

NullZ3r0

Banned
The women in games thing is getting out of hand and this is closely related to the "ugly female" phenomenon. Every damn game and movie are dominated by "strong" women. In order for them to be seen as strong though, designers subconsciously make them look masculine which makes them look like pre-op trannies. Beautiful, sexy women are intrinsically seen as weak by the dykes on the development team. An unintentional (or maybe intentional) side-effect of this is men in games being feminized or reduced to the role of "dumb brute".

It's really getting out of hand because this doesn't represent the reality. In a post apocalyptic world, women wouldn't be running shit. They're physically weaker, smaller and slower than men and would easily be dominated. It's getting to the point where the "women running stuff" is becoming a stale trope because it's everywhere now. It's a ridiculous fantasy that's palatable in spare amounts, but it's downright corny now.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The women in games thing is getting out of hand and this is closely related to the "ugly female" phenomenon. Every damn game and movie are dominated by "strong" women. In order for them to be seen as strong though, designers subconsciously make them look masculine which makes them look like pre-op trannies. Beautiful, sexy women are intrinsically seen as weak by the dykes on the development team. An unintentional (or maybe intentional) side-effect of this is men in games being feminized or reduced to the role of "dumb brute".

It's really getting out of hand because this doesn't represent the reality. In a post apocalyptic world, women wouldn't be running shit. They're physically weaker, smaller and slower than men and would easily be dominated. It's getting to the point where the "women running stuff" is becoming a stale trope because it's everywhere now. It's a ridiculous fantasy that's palatable in spare amounts, but it's downright corny now.

This feels like a parody of a THE QUARTERING video.

To the topic at hand. . .if written well, there's nothing that says you can't have charismatic women in a leadership role and there are several examples of this where it is written well. As for the game itself, given that the last remaining group of humans are mostly comprised of individuals from the EAC, that they would follow the command structure is hardly a leap.

What a silly take.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Glad other people noticed this game is a bull dyke simulator. Meanwhile the male's all look reasonable.

That said this phenomenon is less SJW crap and more dev laziness. Proper female characters require different skeletons and animations, or at least an androgenous base skeleton set up. The men are so yoked in this that its hard to do both Normal women and yoked men, and putting pretty faces on yoked male skeletons with tits, wide hips, and skinny waists looks weird. So devs do the lazy thing and make the women look more like men to fit the shared skeleton. Its obvious they are sharing a skeleton in this game because of how broad the female shoulders are to match the stylization of the male physique. Bone placement is important for a lot of reasons, but the most noticeable is "mesh collapsing" when bending a joint. This is why skeleton sharing can have issues.

Female characters are usually an afterthought in these games so they get the least amount of development possible, but end up front and center in the marketing for progressive reasons.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
This feels like a parody of a THE QUARTERING video.

To the topic at hand. . .if written well, there's nothing that says you can't have charismatic women in a leadership role and there are several examples of this where it is written well. As for the game itself, given that the last remaining group of humans are mostly comprised of individuals from the EAC, that they would follow the command structure is hardly a leap.

What a silly take.
Here come the white knights...

You missed my point. I have no problem with stories where females are in the lead. The problem is that it's being over done to the point where it's all you see in games and movies today. On top of that it has to be believable. In some stories it makes sense, in others like Outriders it doesn't. Enoch is basically every man for himself and somehow they care about "Command Structure"? In the real world, Shira would have been assassinated by one of the crazies running around. As it stands now, she's in her role because of the trend of "The Woman in Charge". It's forced and not organic at all.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Here come the white knights...

You missed my point. I have no problem with stories where females are in the lead. The problem is that it's being over done to the point where it's all you see in games and movies today. On top of that it has to be believable. In some stories it makes sense, in others like Outriders it doesn't. Enoch is basically every man for himself and somehow they care about "Command Structure"? In the real world, Shira would have been assassinated by one of the crazies running around. As it stands now, she's in her role because of the trend of "The Woman in Charge". It's forced and not organic at all.

That's a pretty lazy take.

And no, I didn't miss the point. I ignored the first half of your post because it's some anti-lady screed masquerading as careful critique of female design. The second bit is still ridiculous, not even taking into account that you've handwaved away a narrative explanation for why Shira is in the position she is. There are numerous examples of stories where physically and mentally weak blokes are in charge of large groups of individuals for no other reason than people like structure.

At the end of the day, would it really seem any more "organic" if a short one-eyed dude was in the position - you're talking about 10 minutes of exposition.

sainraja

It's not GAAS, ffs.
Isn't it though? It is basically a third person Destiny 2 without PVP. If they leave it as is and don't expand on it like Bungie does with Destiny the game will get old pretty quickly. Why even go for better gear?

Things i liked -

Gameplay-

Gunplay is good and powers are fun to use.

All classes are also fun and well balanced.

Boss fights are fun

Story looks interesting.

Things i didn't like-

Graphics - Looks alright nothing special but its 60 fps. So that's good.

Character animation both movement and facial.

Character creator is bad.

Everything else was alright.

So based on gameplay alone i will get it

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Isn't it though? It is basically a third person Destiny 2 without PVP. If they leave it as is and don't expand on it like Bungie does with Destiny the game will get old pretty quickly. Why even go for better gear?

In its current form: no it isn't. If the game is a massive success then sure expansions are going to come (and there isn't anything wrong with that). However, as the game lacks an in-game store for cosmetics and the like, calling it a GaaS is a bit disingenous.

Mr.ODST

To complete the higher difficulties

sainraja

In its current form: no it isn't. If the game is a massive success then sure expansions are going to come (and there isn't anything wrong with that). However, as the game lacks an in-game store for cosmetics and the like, calling it a GaaS is a bit disingenous.
Well, doesn't GaaS just mean that a game provides you with updated content on a continuous basis? and they keep players engaged a lot longer than the initial cost of entry? Perhaps it is not a GaaS game. But I think they are or so I thought trying to introduce Outriders as an expanding universe.

To complete the higher difficulties
Yeah, but most games have higher difficulties that you can go after once you are done with the main campaign. I get your point though.

What's the point of better gear in any game?

I see what you are trying to point out but in a game like Destiny when you go after the latest exotic you also get to use it in PVP against other people and later on in new updated/new content. You get different new modes to try out your weaponry. From what you guys are saying of Outriders, or the impression I am getting is that it is a single player game with co-op as an option. Outside of here, I have seen people point or compare it to Destiny which I think is a good comparison minus the PVP stuff.

Last edited:

Neil Young

It felt like a mix between Remnant and Division to me but not as good. I listened to the Laymen Gaming talking about this game and I agreed with the guy with the beard. If you like this game then you must LOVE the Division (as it does everything this game does but 100x better). It feels like they didn't know if they wanted to be a cover shooter or in your face action game and do neither that well. I'd pick it up for 20.

Mr.ODST

Pretty sure DESTINY wasn't the first use the "floating cursor" and they sure as hell haven't been the last. Not sure why - of all thing - THAT is what is getting folks dander up.

Solo the difficulty definitely ramps up. I imagine with co-op the lower half of the World Tier won't be that rough; however there have already been videos of high level World Tiers and they do look rough. Here is a video of IGN trying to get to WT15 and - "lulz IGN" jokes aside - it looks pretty chaotic.

]

sainraja sainraja check this video, the difficulty seems to spike up alot, seems very similar to the "why play harder difficulties on Diablo 3"

I see your point though but I think they will be releasing expansion packs which id prefer

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Well, doesn't GaaS just mean that a game provides you with updated content on a continuous basis? and they keep players engaged a lot longer than the initial cost of entry? Perhaps it is not a GaaS game. But I think they are or so I thought trying to introduce Outriders as an expanding universe.

Yeah, but most games have higher difficulties that you can go after once you are done with the main campaign. I get your point though.

I see what you are trying to point out but in a game like Destiny when you go after the latest exotic you also get to use it in PVP against other people and later on in new updated/new content. You get different new modes to try out your weaponry. From what you guys are saying of Outriders, or the impression I am getting is that it is a single player game with co-op as an option. Outside of here, I have seen people point or compare it to Destiny which I think is a good comparison minus the PVP stuff.
No. FO76 is a GaaS. All EA Sports games are GaaS. Hell, even when the expansive single player you could call DA: I a GaaS: the point is to get you into the cash shop and spend money on cosmetics and/or gameplay enhancement items. Some are more clearly GaaS than others.

OUTRIDERS is entirely self contained. There are no plans at the moment for a cash shop of any kind (like Marvel's AVENGERS - SEs other coop game released this year).

GreyHand23

It felt like a mix between Remnant and Division to me but not as good. I listened to the Laymen Gaming talking about this game and I agreed with the guy with the beard. If you like this game then you must LOVE the Division (as it does everything this game does but 100x better). It feels like they didn't know if they wanted to be a cover shooter or in your face action game and do neither that well. I'd pick it up for 20.

I listened to this as well and from a person who really like cover shooters and/or finds the division setting boring, Outriders is a nice alternative. The loot is much more interesting and changes your play style and it’s fairly obvious that the game doesn’t want you to be in cover and I’m cool with that.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Anyone find a good solution for the stutter on PC?

I'm on an rtx 2060 on medium settings, and can get about a steady 70-80 frames, but the stutter is bugging me out.

Tried switching to dx12 as recommended, and it smoothed it out a bit but the stutter is still present.

Gandih42

Played about two hours of this solo on PC. Ran very smoothly for me with a 1660 Super with everything on ultra (1920x1080) - except in cutscenes. Those were generally a bitchoppy.

While not mindblowing in anyway, I thought it was fairly decent. Good shooting, meaningful loot right off the bat and a story that's present (whether you like it or not). I think playing this in 3 person co-op would be a blast, although I'm not sure I'll be able to make my friends do that with me. I don't quite agree with all the GaaS comments about the game. Being a shooter with loot doesn't make it GaaS. In my opinion, GaaS is more about designing a game around the monetization of gameplay/cosmetics to make them stick with the game long term.

From what they've said and shown in the demo, this is structured much more like a more traditional game. It wants you to play through the story while enjoying the loot game, rather than drip feeding you minor stat boosts to entice you into grinding the endgame. I'm not sure if they'll be successful with this (or if this remains true for the full game), but I find it refreshing to see a game with loot that isn't designed for you to grind out thousands of hours. I could do with more games that gives me deep and meaningful loot and build variety over a finite timespan rather than trying to be my daily job (in the vein looter-shooter GaaS).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Division is realistic and based heavily on cover, this thing is more fast paced, aggressive style with superpowers, they are nothing alike if not for the 3rd person camera and the loot.
One is fully open world, the other is more a group of big locations glued together with loading screens etc.

You can absolutely despise division and liking this one or the opposite imo.

They also have fairly different locations/themes, virus in a real city vs scifi thunderstorms with a sprinkle of mad max.

I'm on an rtx 2060 on medium settings, and can get about a steady 70-80 frames, but the stutter is bugging me out.

Tried switching to dx12 as recommended, and it smoothed it out a bit but the stutter is still present.

What cpu did you use? I could barely maintain 60fps at 1440p at high settings.

The game looked way better and smoother on my ps5

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned

Signing out of Steam Friends solved the very bad stuttering entirely for me.

I had a feeling it was a server authentication issue because overall my framerate was fine but it always dropped like 40 frames for one moment and then carry on as usual, indicating it wasn't a typical hardware issue (especially cause other games run just fine). Someone pointed it out here that it was in fact the Steam Friends causing this. The same happened with Apex Legends when that launched on Steam with crazy slowdown in the main menu for the same reason.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I had a feeling it was a server authentication issue because overall my framerate was fine but it always dropped like 40 frames for one moment and then carry on as usual, indicating it wasn't a typical hardware issue (especially cause other games run just fine). Someone pointed it out here that it was in fact the Steam Friends causing this. The same happened with Apex Legends when that launched on Steam with crazy slowdown in the main menu for the same reason.
Dafuq is steam friends?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

NullZ3r0

Banned
I can't stop playing this demo despite the game's flaws. So that tells me all I need to know. If I can get 50 hours of gaming out of this it's worth the full price.

PCF had some big balls putting a demo of this scope out and I think it needs to be the thing going forward instead of bullshit half-assed beta launches and hiding behind hype (looking at your Marvel's Avengers). This won't be another Anthem because Anthem was never a fleshed out game. It was a flying mech suit E3 tech demo that Bioware tried to shoehorn into a videogame.

The god amongst men power fantasy in Outriders is satisfying from the start. The last demo I played like this was Splinter Cell for the original Xbox. You know the one that came with the XBM. I'm quickly becoming a looter shooter and sports whore.

Edit: The biggest issue with this game so far is that the design is way too encumbered by last gen consoles. The level design, the level-loading tricks all scream shitty previous gen consoles.

Last edited:
I don’t know if anybody has seen some of the videos of the mods and powers you can get but this game is starting to look like I’m going to be playing it a ton.

I can see the comparison to division but IMO Divison made the gun play the focus while this game makes the powers and mods the focus.

If you haven’t checked out the video of the end game levels you should....they looked like mmo dungeons to me,

Can’t wait for this to come out.

Dacon

Banned

I did that and it didn't look like it changed much.

However, uninstalling the last big Windows 10 update went a long way towards sorting it out.

Roufianos

It's pretty fucking tiring getting kicked from the server almost every session. I just got booted twice at the exact same part and lost a nice looking rifle because of it.

There's no fucking reason for this to be online only.

Gediminas

Banned
No. FO76 is a GaaS. All EA Sports games are GaaS. Hell, even when the expansive single player you could call DA: I a GaaS: the point is to get you into the cash shop and spend money on cosmetics and/or gameplay enhancement items. Some are more clearly GaaS than others.

OUTRIDERS is entirely self contained. There are no plans at the moment for a cash shop of any kind (like Marvel's AVENGERS - SEs other coop game released this year).
no plans but their game is like live service game. somewhere there is a lie.

they say it is demo, yet you can't play it offline. so it is not demo, it is beta then.

ultrazilla

Despite some minor issues I've had with the demo(30fps cut-scenes jarring, cover mechanics, etc but devs are addressing this though) I find it a pretty cool
looter/shooter/action game that is filling the void left by having become burnt out on Destiny 2.

I also want to praise the devs People Can Fly for the super fast loading times. Now that's what I expect out of the PS5 ssd! It makes the experience so much nicer not
having to deal with long loading times!

That all being said, I'm really concerned that the content will be blown through quite rapidly and the fact that there are "world tier difficulty levels" makes me believe People
Can Fly
realize this as well. So no purchase from me until DLC/content support become part of the game's plans.

It will be interesting to see how well the game sells.

ripeavocado

Banned
The game is awful in every possible way: story, dialogue, graphics, gunplay, cover system and so on...

and it’s another generi looter,shooter gaas.

the worst part is that somebody is going to buy it and publishers are going to keep investing in these awful games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom