• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ouya introduces All-Access Pass: $60/year for all Ouya games

Takao

Banned
GamesBeat:

Ouya wants to give you unlimited access to all of its games if you have $60.

The Android microconsole company is now selling an All-Access Pass for its Discover app store. People who buy the pass, which is $60, will get access to every Ouya game for a year. The company claims this includes over 800 games at a value of more than $2,000. You can get it now from Ouya’s online store and use it immediately to download any game for the system. That includes the four-player fighting game Towerfall, which is the system’s biggest hit, and developer Double Fine’s Kickstarter adventure Broken Age.

Ouya’s site notes that the All-Access Pass is only on sale for a limited time. It also claims that it will only sell a finite amount. GamesBeat reached out to the company for more details, and we’ll update this post with new information when we have it.

Premium Ouya games range in price from $1 to $20. The aforementioned Towerfall sells for $15 on Ouya Discover, so you could easily spend $60 on just a few Ouya games, so this is potentially a pretty good deal — as long as you remember to actually play the games you download.

Interesting business model. It's like a limited offer PS+ with all games on the machine. I wonder how devs get paid ...

inb4 troll comments about nothing to play

edit: It seems Ouya did not notify developers about this beforehand:

edit #2:
It doesn't seem they're screwing devs.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/219939/Ouya_tests_allyoucaneat_subscription_program.php

A developer has provided Gamasutra with an email from Ouya's developer relations team that explains the new pilot program -- a which it calls a "very limited test" of "an all-you-can-eat, everything-is-free, 12-month game subscription." Another Ouya developer confirmed to us that they got the same email.

According to the email, developers will be compensated as normal when these "all-you-can-eat" users "purchase" their games; the wording suggests that in-app purchases of consumable items are not included as free "purchases" during this test-run. There is no information in the email about the price of the subscription to the Ouya owners who take part in it, nor how widespread the test will be.

Sendou

That's an interesting move, at least. I wonder how the devs/publishers get paid though.

Some devs on Twitter seemed disappointed with the Ouya in the regard that they didn't consult them on this but simply informed that this will be a thing.

Interesting because it means they had to get all the developers to sign on as well. Guessing there aren't many promising stories of game sales on the Ouya then

I've seen a few tweets suggesting that OUYA did not inform the developers in advance.

https://twitter.com/TopherMade/status/483716141387632640

Some devs on Twitter seemed disappointed with the Ouya in the regard that they didn't consult them on this but simply informed that this will be a thing.

Can't they sue?

Sony couldn't do this for $60 a year, but $20 a month for PSNow would be more in line with what I'd consider seeing as how it's going to have a smaller library of titles and I'll have to sacrifice performance to run said games.

Devs were not informed about this beforehand. They didn't agree to this.

What contract would you sign that just allows the platform holder to go "fuck it. We're going subscription baby!" without the developers say? That's crazy

I think we're going to hear quite a bit of backlash if there are any developers that still care about the games they put on Ouya that is

icespide

Banned
Take notes PSNow.

85305efdd72a102c6f368bc0627b695c.jpg

Shizuka

Won't the developers get any money from this, is that what they mean? If so, that's sad. I wonder if any developer will continue to release games for the Ouya after this.

kiguel182

I still think Ouya was a great idea but, if what the devs are saying it's true, it seems like the devs first approach they sold at first it's clearly a lie.

It's a shame, it could've been a really cool indie console.

This is how I think handheld/Nintendo consoles should go in the near future. Subscription based game service.
Why only Nintendo/handheld? Wouldn't make much sense anyways from a financial standpoint. 1 normal game is ~60 bucks and they can't really charge that much more for a service like this.
Edit: how much could a company realistically charge for a paid subscription like this? Can't see more than like 100 bucks being viable, and even then it doesn't sound very financially viable.
Even for OUYA's store, they claim that the deal is a 2,000 dollar value. If one was to download all the games then each dev would make around less than 3 cents out of this. (My math might be wrong here, correct me if so) Imagine for something like steam, PSN, Xbox Live, and the eshop with an actually decent library of games

Won't the developers get any money from this, is that what they mean? If so, that's sad. I wonder if any developer will continue to release games for the Ouya after this.

Considering they're selling a limited amount of passes I'm guessing this is a marketing ploy and that they will reimburse developers in some way. It also looks like you only have access for the year so you don't end up owning anything.

Is the Ouya a storefront for developers or do they license the games on their system?

I guess I'm wondering how Ouya pays out for these games right now.

komplanen

I would imagine anyone who hasn't picked up an Ouya yet is going to look at the available games and continue not to have an Ouya. Also I think the fact that this was not negotiated with developers makes it seem like some last dying breath of an effort before closing up shop for good.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I've seen a few tweets suggesting that OUYA did not inform the developers in advance.

https://twitter.com/TopherMade/status/483716141387632640

Weird. Is there some kind of fine print loophole that allows them to do this, or are they about to get sued out of existence?

I wonder how they would even administer something like that if the devs consented. "OUYA takes 25%, then the remainder is divided among the developers proportionally to the time the player spent on each game"?

I didn't realize the Ouya was still around. It's been relegated to a bottom shelf near the pre-owned games in every Target I've been to.

Adam Blue

I have a Ouya...but for other reasons. This is interesting though, as I see cool games to play but don't know if I want to build a library on a platform that may not be around that long, with games inevitably getting ported to PC or elsewhere.

Gestault

This is how I think handheld/Nintendo consoles should go in the near future. Subscription based game service.

Based on their performance in relation to other dedicated portables, their profitability, and the style of experience they've been offering so far, do you think that would actually make sense? I think they've made as strong a case as one can for a counterpoint to low-bar-of-entry mobile experiences. Subscription-based services have a different sort of expectation for the quality of any given title.

Nzyme32

If Sony did this it would have to be at least $1000.

There's nothing to take notes on.

If they package a decent amount of them in bundles per month or something with a $60 price tag like ps+ and they market it right, I'm sure people will eat it up
and enjoy their "free" games /jk

Hesemonni

Banned
Yeah okay man.

Charging $60 for the entire library of PS3 games on PSN is absolutely unrealistic.
That is true, but I can't see myself touching the current rental service until they introduce some sort of subscription based model. I don't know if it's Netflix or Spotify which has spoiled me, but I just can't.

I doubt I'm the only one.

Yeah okay man.

Charging $60 for the entire library of PS3 games on PSN is absolutely unrealistic.

I don't get how people can have such unrealistic expectations. Something like that would just be financially impossible. If there's a streaming service for PSNOW (well, a netlfix like subscription for the streaming), it'll be no less than 20 bucks a month, and there will still be a ton of complaining.

Hmm interesting. Maybe their thinking is that players are unlikely to spend more than $60 a year on Ouya games and this way they can maximize profits. Could work out for them, who knows.

Top Bottom