• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 1 Million Xbox One Users Have Played D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

gJ65hJ8.png

Swery Twitter

Kinda a given when it hits Games With Gold (Chariot hit 1 million on gwg too)

I W A N T T H E D S2

Update: More Concrete Numbers
1,340,000 downloads, IDK when they updated it.
Description

JayEH

It's sad seeing Swery like this. Hope he's able to continue the season but chances seem slim. My dream situation is that after this sold like trash MS decided to make this free and then hook people so they buy the rest of the season when it releases.

Had no idea what it was, but seemed interesting and downloaded it today given it's that once in a blue moon period that I'm on the XBO.

Hope I enjoy it as I was originally only looking into this month's GWG for The Witcher 2, given that it's my only option as I don't have access to the PC version to continue/finish it.

I was really enjoying playing it, then the ending came, and I was like "lol wot? is that it?" Genuinely glad I never paid for it. 2 hours long, if that. Pretty pathetic.

Loved the characters, loved the tone, loved the music, loved it all really. Bar the length.

Also, making an episodic game one of the Games with Gold is a pretty shitty move from Microsoft. Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm not entitled to anything blah blah blah, but if they insist on giving games out for free each month at least make them full fucking games.

I had bought it but it was sufficiently ahead of the GWG release that I'm not to flustered over it.
Neat game, I guess I can say I enjoyed it.

I downloaded it but have yet to play it. Is it a Kinect-only game?

Kinect controls are bad for most of it. Only fun for the "Action sequences".
Unless struggling to navigate everything interests you.

I enjoyed it, would like to see more. Kinect controls suit the weirdness of the game but they can be frustrating at times. If thats the best the new Kinect can do for games I'm glad it got ditched.

Pimpbaa

I downloaded it because it was free, although I don't think I'll ever play considering I watched a full playthrough and was cringing at almost every piece of dialog spoken. More importantly the gameplay looked like garbage which is inexcusable even if the game had good dialog and/or plot.

CoCo_CoCo

Banned
I was shocked at the announcement for this games release, Swery just surprises everyone at the Tokyo Game show and says it's out now, and barely anyone knew. Even the D4 threads were asking when it's coming out and like 2 people in there knew that it came out days before.

I was shocked at the announcement for this games release, Swery just surprises everyone at the Tokyo Game show and says it's out now, and barely anyone knew. Even the D4 threads were asking when it's coming out and like 2 people in there knew that it came out days before.

I only realised it was out when I saw the thread on gaf about it's poor sales.

Rafterman

Banned
I wanted to like it but it's just bad. The controls and dialogue are especially awful, and on top of that it's extremely short. Glad they made this free because I was actually going to pay for it, and it's not worth $15 an episode.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't it a bit soon for this to go on GwG?

I'd hazard a guess and say it was, at least in part, a goodwill gesture by Microsoft to try and increase exposure. I don't think anybody has commented on how devs are compensated for offering GWG and PS+ freebies (though I feel confident in saying that neither MS nor Sony pony up the full cost of the game per download, minus their 30%), but in the case of D4 it was struggling to sell, so something is better than nothing.

I picked it up when hearing it wasn't too well, have yet to actually boot it up haha. Glad to support it regardless and i'll get to it soon.

I'd hazard a guess and say it was, at least in part, a goodwill gesture by Microsoft to try and increase exposure. I don't think anybody has commented on how devs are compensated for offering GWG and PS+ freebies (though I feel confident in saying that neither MS nor Sony pony up the full cost of the game per download, minus their 30%), but in the case of D4 it was struggling to sell, so something is better than nothing.

Would Swery be receiving any money from the downloads? It was entirely MS funded from what we know, so how does it work if the developer has already been paid for their work?

Have Played != sold.

I think SWERY also counts people just downloading the demo and asking for more people to buy it.

Buy it, people, buy it. SWERY is awesome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would Swery be receiving any money from the downloads? It was entirely MS funded from what we know, so how does it work if the developer has already been paid for their work?

Ah, was it? Swery owns the game itself so I assumed it was at least partially funded internally, not entirely unlike DR3 and Ryse.

Top Bottom