• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 10% of developers are making games for the next generation

GDC State of the Industry Survey: 34% are making games for both next- and current-gen platforms
With next-generation consoles just around the corner, developers are beginning to shift their projects to the new hardware, though they aren't ready to abandon the current consoles fully any time soon.

GDC has conducted its annual State of the Game Industry survey of 4,000 developers. From their responses, GDC found that PC remains the most popular development platform and looks to maintain this hold comfortably as we enter a new console generation. When asked what platforms their last project had launched on, what their current project was being developed for, and what they planned to make their next project for, over 50% of surveyed developers responded "PC" to each question.

Over 10% of developers are currently making games for next-gen, with 11% saying they were making games for the PlayStation 5 (and 23% saying their next game would be on the console), and 9% actively developing for Xbox Project Scarlett (17% saying their next game would be). This currently doesn't seem to be cannibalizing the last generation, at least not quickly. 25% said their current project was on the PS4 (with 20% saying their next game would be), while 23% said their current project was on the Xbox One (20% are planning their next project for it).

Furthermore, only 5% of those surveyed said they were targeting next-gen platforms exclusively for their next game. 34% confirmed that their current project would be released on both next- and current-generation platforms.

As for the Nintendo Switch, it doesn't seem to be suffering any from these transitions. 17% of developers said their current project would be released on the console, and 19% were planning their next game for it.

For the first time, the 2020 GDC survey included questions about developing for new streaming platforms. For now, it seems few developers are working on games specifically for the technology. Only 6% are currently making a game for Google Stadia, and only 3% are making a game for Project xCloud.

Developers were also asked what platforms they were interested in developing for, even if they weren't necessarily currently planning to develop for it. There was meaningfully more interest in PS5 over Project Scarlett (38% versus 25%), and 37% said they were interested in the Nintendo Switch. A few interesting outliers included 5% who said they were interested in developing for voice-activated assistants like Alexa or Google Home. 2% were interested in Panic's hand-cranked handheld, the Playdate.

As for VR and AR, overall interest is much higher than is reflected in those actively making games for the media. 15% of respondents said their current project was in VR, and only 7% said it was being developed for AR. But 27% said they were interested in VR, and 16% in AR. By platform, 25% are currently making games for the Oculus Rift and 24% for the Quest, with 20% for the HTC Vive. Only 10% are developing for PSVR, 8% for Valve Index and 5% for Magic Leap One.

The full GDC State of the Game Industry survey can be accessed here, which includes topics such as the current landscape of monetization and business models, and concerns surrounding diversity, accessibility, crunch, and unions.

njean777

I don't understand the less interest in Xbox, I mean if the architectures are basically the same except for some minute differences then why not just port the game? It cannot be that hard especially if they are developing games on PC (most likely windows). It is just weird to me. Just put it digital only and not have to worry about other costs of pressing discs and such.

I could be totally wrong also. I am not a game developer so I am basically talking out of my ass here.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
As for the Nintendo Switch, it doesn't seem to be suffering any from these transitions. 17% of developers said their current project would be released on the console, and 19% were planning their next game for it.

This is nice news for the Switch, compared the numbers it used to pull (around 0% or just above, if I remember right). No serious gamer wants Nintendo to be in the third party rut they’ve been in for far too long now, as it’s unhealthy for their platforms, and thus, our consumer options.

Sota4077

The low percentages for developers making games for Stadia and Xcloud, makes me smile as a console gamer
I'm not sure where this whole developing games for xcloud things comes from. There's been more than one interview now where they've literally brought a developer to the Microsoft offices they installed the game on a server and it was up and running with only minor issues in a matter of an hour.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don't understand the less interest in Xbox, I mean if the architectures are basically the same except for some minute differences then why not just port the game? It cannot be that hard especially if they are developing games on PC (most likely windows). It is just weird to me. Just put it digital only and not have to worry about other costs of pressing discs and such.

I could be totally wrong also. I am not a game developer so I am basically talking out of my ass here.
I can see it being a case of them not taking a chance. They have to ask themselves if the sales would be worth the cost of porting the game

Hobbygaming

I'm not sure where this whole developing games for xcloud things comes from. There's been more than one interview now where they've literally brought a developer to the Microsoft offices they installed the game on a server and it was up and running with only minor issues in a matter of an hour.
That sounds neat! I'm just opposed to cloud gaming in general :(

Hobbygaming

Give me Dino Crysis and Resident Evil 8 from Capcom

Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell from Ubisoft

The Witcher spinoff from CDPR

Hobbygaming

You do understand that a game dev does not have to make a separate game to work on Xcloud right?
Yep, but I'm glad they aren't making exclusive games for those kinds of services. It remains to be seen what kind of support they get too

Ryu Kaiba

Low numbers all around ...
cross gen is a fact... now MS approach doesn’t look that weird 🤣
3rd parties are expected to dip their toes in with cross gen, that's why its important for the console first parties to take advantage of the new hardware.
If anything this is worse for MS if Sony's studios have something to show for the new hardware.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Fuck cross gen in the arse.
You’re gonna be in for a treat this gen. There’s 100 million Playstations out there and another 50~ million Xbox One’s. With the expected high entry price point into these next gen systems you’re gonna see cross-genning for a while.

Shifty1897

That seems surprisingly low. I thought I remembered this kind of article in 2013 showing something like 30 percent of all devs were making a game for next gen (what was then PS4 and XB1).

I wonder if this is a reaction to the perceived price of the next gen consoles being so much higher compared to this gen. I think the adoption rate of the next gen is going to be very, very slow if both consoles cost above $400.

Hobbygaming

It's interesting that PlayStation still has more developers making games for it than others

I was told every 3rd party game would be everywhere next generation

Ryu Kaiba

That seems surprisingly low. I thought I remembered this kind of article in 2013 showing something like 30 percent of all devs were making a game for next gen (what was then PS4 and XB1).

I wonder if this is a reaction to the perceived price of the next gen consoles being so much higher compared to this gen. I think the adoption rate of the next gen is going to be very, very slow if both consoles cost above $400.
I think they're going to be the fastest moving consoles of any gen.

Shifty1897

I think they're going to be the fastest moving consoles of any gen.
I just don't see it. A console has never sold well above $400. Even the PS3 bombed until it dropped to that price point. I think parents can't rationalize dropping half a grand on a single Christmas present, plus tax, plus a game. I'd like to think this generation of parents are more frugal due to the exploding cost of housing and the market crash of 2008 fresh in their minds.

Top Bottom