• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Over 860,000 Americans Have Already Voted, Compared to Fewer Than 10,000 by This Point in 2016

hyperbertha

Nov 24, 2018

'' More than 860,000 Americans have already cast their vote in the 2020 election—a number much higher than the reported 9,525 votes that were returned at this point in 2016. ''

'' At least 866,734 people have voted in this year's election as of September 26, according to the U.S. Elections Project, which is run by University of Florida political science professor Michael McDonald. The number is based on 25 states whose early voting data is available, meaning it does not convey the entire picture. ''

'' the large number is a sign of Americans' excitement for the upcoming election, as well as an increased commitment to voting early fueled by the coronavirus pandemic and concern over U.S. Postal Service delays. ''

'' As McDonald acknowledged in a blog post written at the time, the pace of early voting will naturally increase as Election Day draws nearer and more people finalize their choices. Just one week later—on October 2, 2016—at least 78,836 people had cast their ballot early in the reporting states, McDonald found. By October 16, 2016, that number had increased even further to be around 1.4 million voters. ''

JayK47

Nov 2, 2019
I keep getting notifications in the mail, supposedly endorsed by the GOP, insisting that I vote by mail. The wife and I will vote in person this November. I am still not sure who I am voting for . I imagine people who have voted by mail did not put much thought into who they were voting for and simply voted for everybody with either a D or an R next to their name.

Reactions: Svengoolie007

CeroFrio996

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
As a outsider I really can't understand how the hell you vote before the election, before a single debate...

It's easy when every election is made out to be a war for the soul of America, and the only way to protect America from becoming facist or communist is to vote for your "side" no matter what they actually believe. It's a power game, and we're all losing.

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
Just to confirm, no state is actually doing the “mail a ballot to everyone” bullshit right? These are all presumably ballots that were registered as absentee?

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
LMAO and they're spinning this in a way that makes it seem like a positive when it clearly points to fake mail in ballots. I wonder how many are from the CCP. I'm gonna laugh when states report 140% turnouts.

Reactions: Svengoolie007

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
I hate how elections are turning into "election season." The whole point of having people vote at the same time was so that everyone was operating with ostensibly the same information and casting their yes/no based on it. I suppose few people were going to change their mind about either presidential candidate at this point in the cycle, but this months-long election season doesn't sit well with me.

jason10mm

Feb 3, 2009
I don't think it is necessarily nefarious. I'm a mail in voter and could have sent mine in a week ago.

I think folks are convinced in this election. The debates or any last minute developments aren't gonna change.

I do question what happens if Biden or Trump drop out due to health reasons/death before Nov 4. Does a mail in ballot default to the VP, whomever the replacement is, or are the elections scrapped until a new candidate is nominated?

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
I hate how elections are turning into "election season." The whole point of having people vote at the same time was so that everyone was operating with ostensibly the same information and casting their yes/no based on it. I suppose few people were going to change their mind about either presidential candidate at this point in the cycle, but this months-long election season doesn't sit well with me.
yeah it's a long burn

2016 still weighed heavier on the soul, i feel

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
I think the heavy reliance on mail voting might fuck the Democrats given that mail in ballots get disqualified in much higher numbers than in person, which is probably why you're seeing Biden now tell people to vote in person.

hyperbertha

Nov 24, 2018
I think the heavy reliance on mail voting might fuck the Democrats given that mail in ballots get disqualified in much higher numbers than in person, which is probably why you're seeing Biden now tell people to vote in person.
Any disqualified mail in votes will be more than compensated for by the extra CCP votes by november. Besides, didn't many of the democrat states remove the signature matching requirement? Or was that fake noose?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: HeresJohnny

Paulxo87

Oct 24, 2017
I don't think it is necessarily nefarious. I'm a mail in voter and could have sent mine in a week ago.

I think folks are convinced in this election. The debates or any last minute developments aren't gonna change.

I do question what happens if Biden or Trump drop out due to health reasons/death before Nov 4. Does a mail in ballot default to the VP, whomever the replacement is, or are the elections scrapped until a new candidate is nominated?

Everyone's mind is made up. It's just a matter of who is going to show up in larger numbers on that day in the swing states. The enthusiasm is on trumps side in the swing states that matter I will say that.

Aug 18, 2020
Yeah that’s the truth, I guess I’ve partially checked out as I’m in Maryland, my conservative vote really isn’t going to do much here.
I don't feel like this is a given anywhere this year. You know things are weird when 6 Minnesota mayors in the bluest part of the state wrote a letter supporting Trump.

Reactions: DJT123

Halo is Dead

May 20, 2018
It's easy when every election is made out to be a war for the soul of America, and the only way to protect America from becoming facist or communist is to vote for your "side" no matter what they actually believe. It's a power game, and we're all losing.
This is the most on point post you have ever made

Reactions: prag16

Petey-o

Nov 17, 2019
I’m honestly not really concerned about voter fraud, I don’t think this is going to be a close election. If you watch one of these Trump campaign rallies, I’ve never seen anything like it.
I like how this can be taken in either direction.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
At least 866,734 people have voted in this year's election as of September 26

September 26... more than a month before the actual election.

That's a HUGE problem.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no circumstance where someone should be able to vote more than a month before the election.

Reactions: prag16

eclipze

Mar 30, 2007
September 26... more than a month before the actual election.

That's a HUGE problem.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no circumstance where someone should be able to vote more than a month before the election.

Why? I’ve already made up my mind about all of the races on my ballot and have voted as such.

Reactions: Tesseract

Raven117

Oct 5, 2015
Boom! As true a statement as come.

Last edited:

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later
Awesome! More time to validate them! Wonder how many people will show up to their polling station, only to be told they already voted. Even more interesting is how many of them will be surprised.

iconmaster

Banned
Jul 18, 2013
Wow, that's a big jump. Assuming most ballots are valid (and I generally do), this seems like a good thing overall. I do tend to think voters should wait until after the debates, but I can see why this year it makes sense to vote early.

showernota

Jun 6, 2020

Funny how the pivot to vote in person is being made as ACB gets closer to becoming a SC judge before Election Day 🤔

• Thoughtful
Reactions: iconmaster

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Funny how the pivot to vote in person is being made as ACB gets closer to becoming a SC judge before Election Day 🤔
It's almost as if the Dems were hoping to flood the election with as much mail ballots as possible, cause a stir after Biden loses, and then kick the issue to the Supreme Court where Trump might lose.

But with no RBG, that strategy looks doomed

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Why? I’ve already made up my mind about all of the races on my ballot and have voted as such.

But a lot of people haven't.

This isn't so much about the presidential race, but A LOT can change in a month in a local race.

Beyond that, maybe I'm old-fashioned but the idea of voting this early just bothers me.

We used to have election DAY, then because of early voting we essentially had 2 weeks of election. Now it seems like we've got election MONTH+

Reactions: iconmaster and Gp1

eclipze

Mar 30, 2007
But a lot of people haven't.

This isn't so much about the presidential race, but A LOT can change in a month in a local race.

Beyond that, maybe I'm old-fashioned but the idea of voting this early just bothers me.

We used to have election DAY, then because of early voting we essentially had 2 weeks of election. Now it seems like we've got election MONTH+

Then they have the freedom of waiting until they decide on who they want to vote for up to Election Day, or not vote. No one is being forced to vote earlier than they are comfortable with. You still have yet to adequately support your opposition other than some obscure “it just bothers me.” But hey, you do you, guy.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sep 2, 2007

Good post

Tribal politics is stupid

Ballthyrm

Jun 21, 2013
Montpellier
And 840,000 of them have been dead for over 10 years.

Or you know, maybe they usually don't vote, the US has usually around 45% abstention.
Which is not great number.

Here is the last 3 elections:

Election Voting Age Population (VAP) Turnout % Turnout of VAP
2008229,945,000131,407,00057.1%
2012235,248,000129,235,00054.9%
2016250,056,000138,847,00055.5%

840,000 is 0.3% of the Voting age population

This number is barely registering as an increase in voter turnout.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies
Or you know, maybe they usually don't vote, the US has usually around 45% abstention.
Which is not great number.

Here is the last 3 elections:

Election Voting Age Population (VAP)Turnout % Turnout of VAP
2008229,945,000131,407,00057.1%
2012235,248,000129,235,00054.9%
2016250,056,000138,847,00055.5%

840,000 is 0.3% of the Voting age population

This number is barely registering as an increase in voter turnout.
I was poking fun at voter fraud.

Using dead people to vote was a tactic used by Thatcher in the 80s

Ballthyrm

Jun 21, 2013
Montpellier
I was poking fun at voter fraud.

Using dead people to vote was a tactic used by Thatcher in the 80s

Yeah i know, and i'm adding to that that you don't need voter fraud at all.
Just a little more people showing up is going to produce huge numbers and people shouldn't be surprised that much.

The US has a huge population of disinterested people not showing up for elections.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Slings and Arrows

ptuck874

Mar 4, 2010
Richmond VA
States are open books for this stuff, they have to be.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-ohio-is-preparing-for-the-pandemic-election/

Ohio's Secretary of State Frank LaRose has a good interview on how their elections are conducted.

see what I would like to see is ok, you voted, fine, lets put up a daily running total of how many voted, but also the votes themselves, do any states do this ? or they can only release this information on election day itself when the polls close???