• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overused internet phrases that annoy you

"I'm I the only one that..." [followed by extremely obvious observation]. No, you're not, dipshit. In a world of 7+ billion people, with hundreds of millions of them with access to the internet, you were indeed NOT the only one who observed that basic-ass or obvious-ass thing. You're not special. Get over it.

"Fun fact: ...." [followed by some asinine statement]. That expression used to be rarely used IRL to refer to, indeed, an interesting or potentially otherwise actually fun fact. But a lot of internet morons use it to just say... stuff. From what I've seen, the statements that follow are rarely ever fun, not interesting, and often just plain dumb.

Thread is meant to be fun and in jest, so try to not take it too seriously :messenger_tears_of_joy:

All great examples so far :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Starting a sentence with Y'all

That's true, although I thought "y'all" is a real thing used by people from the Southern United States (and maybe even Southwest)?

RENT FREE
Funny thing about "rent free" -- I've found that the people that use that term are the ones thinking about the other side way more than the other side is thinking about them.

That's offensive. - No it's not, you're just a weak human being. -
avengers-infinity-war-bingo.gif

100% true.

More awesome responses! Keep 'em coming 😂
Yikes
Problematic
"We need to talk about..."
X didn't just die, it was MURDERED!
"if only there was...." and then mentioning something obvious

In general I hate it when people talk down on others as if they were dumb.
100% agree, and I never thought about it as a way of people talking down to other people; but now that you mention it, it does seem that way. Little do they know that they're the ones that end up looking like dumb asses in the end.

Also I thought "Yikes" was either dying or being replaced by "oof"?

Not gonna lie...
And its abbreviation "NGL." I always think, why even say something this dumb? Are you in the habit of lying?

When someone starts a sentance or forum thread with "So I did this\this happend\whatever" So freakin' what!?!
HAHAHA, exactly! "So I went to the market today..." Like you said: "so freaking what? Do you want a cookie? A gold star? Who cares!"

There's another variation of that. People use it as a thread title ("So I went to the store today...") as:
(1) trying to build some fake suspense for their lame ass story;
(2) what is essentially "clickbait." Not putting the conclusion in the thread title is their way of trying to entice people into going in the thread...

Unk Adams

Banned
When the pasty dorks on gaming forums, Reddit, etc. try to sound hip and imitate what they think is "urban" slang, which is why they say "y'all" so much. Ironically, these are also the types that whine about cultural appropriation and being offended about everything. They don't even realize how hypocritical they are and how stupid they sound.

Tschumi

"woke" "simp" "soy" "incel" "Karen" "..."

.. all of these psuedo-political bywords... there are more that i won't write because they closed the politics forum, i just wish people would take the time to write a coherent thought of their own instead of co-opting their algorithm-fed twitter/youtube personality de jour.

labels and bywords are the mind killer, to borrow from Frank Herbert, they give free passes to avoid understanding, processing, evaluating things before you spew opinions on them.

I'm not saying some people haven't taken the recent surge in broadening societal values too far, i'm not saying there aren't some hyper-sensetive people out there (probably not who you think), i'm just saying i wish we could examine these on a case-by-case, thoughtful basis, instead of just stamping 'woke' on them and lol'ing away down a primrose path with a curious poo'y smell that turns out to be coming from the bottom of your bare feet

Last edited:

Tschumi

Also thread titles that start with "I'm just gonna say it"

Also thread titles that convert a subjective opinion into objective fact, i.e. "I'm really dissapointed how every [any specific, colossaly successful console/peripheral] is broken and a waste of money."

BigBooper

"Speaks to" is my least favorite. It really speaks to how mediocre someone's communication skills are when what they really mean, "is an example of."

TV talking heads use that all the time, but I see it written on forums a lot too.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
<Essentially admits that they're incorrect in their opening remarks, then.....>, "...nevertheless, ...."

As if typing 'nevertheless' first excuses that they're already admittingly wrong. I don't get the point of such qualifiers when you're basically just saying "OK, I realize I am wrong, but I don't like thing. Naaaw.".

Ionian

That stupid Jeremy Clarkson image, "ohh no, anyway ..".

It's been done to the death.

Also he's an ignorant cunt for attacking his own crew for not having a dinner ready.

Loved watch him flip an old car.

Keihart

" Not that there is anything wrong with that"

Honestly, i wish it was used more.

I disagree with OP on the "fun fact" tho, i have always been the "fun fact" guy between my friends, it's never as fun as you think it is, no even before the internet.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Anything used in clickbait:

"You won't believe what happened next"

"Instant Regret"

"This/that will shock you"

Anything with "epic" in it.

And also:

"Racist", "Sexist", "Nazi".

NinjaBoiX

Internet memes with…

“No-one:

Me: Washing a spoon:”

…etc

“No-one” added precisely nothing to the joke. It doesn’t even make sense in the context!

Just post the meme with the context line, you don’t need to put “no-one” at the start each time, just stop!!

Ionian

SUS is one I've started seeing a lot of. Had no idea what it meant...but it's pretty pointless.

That one seems adopted, was used here all the time since I can remember.

Not that it's good or anything, was just slang where I grew up.

As a kid if someone shouted "sus" you ran. Like a warning sign.

Last edited:

Loke

"We're super excited" - when talking about something or about to announce something, mostly video game related. I swear I hear this goddamn phrase more than once when watching a gaming conference.

something the thread/end thread
nothing specific, but just throwing up an image without giving a proper response/argument when one is needed

Drew1440

Article headlines that end with 'And that's OK!'
Posting phone screen shots and not cropping them
Doing X means Y privilege

Soodanim

I dislike overused words like “Toxic” and “Yikes”, and the hyperbolic “Literally” from people who mean “Practically”. But there’s one internet word that does my nut more than any other on the internet.

“Welp.” I can’t stand it. Fucks me right off, and you’re immediately a cunt unless I already know you’re not one. Just say “Well” like a normal person, you wank stain.

dr_octagon

Banned
I dislike overused words like “Toxic” and “Yikes”, and the hyperbolic “Literally” from people who mean “Practically”. But there’s one internet word that does my nut more than any other on the internet.

“Welp.” I can’t stand it. Fucks me right off, and you’re immediately a cunt unless I already know you’re not one. Just say “Well” like a normal person, you wank stain.
I posted welp as part of a joke, I am a cunt regardless of that tbh.

Gloggins

Everything mentioned are great examples. These little catchphrases are overused to the point they've become white noise.

If you're gonna talk like a cowboy at least have fun with it.

Sufferin' succotash Y'ALL, there's a rattlesnake in my terbacky jar!

Top Bottom