• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 making it up to players with a single charm and skin

What the fuck does that have anything to do with it?
It's 40 dollars(60 on console) for 6 years worth of content.

You knew where I was going with that question which is why your post is worded the way it is. Now if the person I quoted bought OW1 this year that's a different story, but if that poster bought the game 6 years ago they got their money's worth.

Fuz

Banned
It's 40 dollars(60 on console) for 6 years worth of content.

You knew where I was going with that question which is why your post is worded the way it is. Now if the person I quoted bought OW1 this year that's a different story, but if that poster bought the game 6 years ago they got their money's worth.
Hey, you had your car for 6 years now!
You drove it enough, we'll taking it back.

OW1 is not a MMO.
Why I said MMO: Overwatch is an always online multiplayer shooter that's constantly being updated with content and changes, similar to an MMO. Back when MMOs were starting to boom there were a ton of them that cost 40-60 bucks to buy. People knew the experience wouldn't last forever so they got their money's worth out of what they could play. Tons of MMOs shut down after 3-7 years.

There were quite a few MMOs that I bought, played for 2-3+ years, and then they shut down and some of them even had massive overhauls and revamps. I'm not going to sit here and act like I didn't get my money's worth after those 3ish years. It's ridiculous that you're treating OW like some special case.

Fuz you normally make decent arguments. Why choose this hill to defend?

Fuz

Banned
Why I said MMO: Overwatch is an always online multiplayer shooter that's constantly being updated with content and changes, similar to an MMO. Back when MMOs were starting to boom there were a ton of them that cost 40-60 bucks to buy. People knew the experience wouldn't last forever so they got their money's worth out of what they could play. Tons of MMOs shut down after 3-7 years.

There were quite a few MMOs that I bought, played for 2-3+ years, and then they shut down and some of them even had massive overhauls and revamps. I'm not going to sit here and act like I didn't get my money's worth after those 3ish years. It's ridiculous that you're treating OW like some special case.

Fuz you normally make decent arguments. Why choose this hill to defend?
Quake 1 still works. Team Fortress still works. Hell, even The Secret World still works.
There was no expiration date on OW box. There was no expiration date on my money. This is a fucking dangerous slippery slope.
And it was taken away just to be replaced by itself to push a scummier monetization scheme.

This shit shouldn't be tolerated.

Last edited:
This really should have been a F2P patch for OW1 while OW2 could be the SP story. Leave the old modes in a legacy menu and let ppl choose however the hell they want to play, instead of forcing everyone into what they somehow think are improvements. I mean they are running what 4 different versions of WoW now?

Quake 1 still works. Team Fortress still works. Hell, even The Secret World still works.
There was no expiration date on OW box. There was no expiration date on my money. This is a fucking dangerous slippery slope.
And it was taken away just to be replaced by itself to push a scummier monetization scheme.

This shit shouldn't be tolerated.
...You do realize those games aren't the norm right? And that TF2 and Secret World had huge changes? There are hundreds of dead online games with tons of CD-Roms and DVD-Roms that don't work anymore. Even now BR games that aren't Apex, Fortnite, and CoD are shutting down left and right. There is no slippery slope here, it's how online only multiplayer games have been since they've begun.

You knew what to expect since the moment you signed the Eula. You knew that they had the right to make big sweeping changes to their product or shut it down entirely. These games don't stay in their day 1 state because they're not single player games, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

This is the wrong game to use this argument on.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

idgaf about ow1 or ow2. I'm here to laugh at the addicts who piss and moan about how bad something is, but carrying on shooting that same shit into their veins.

Wahh fifa/cod/ow/battlefield is ripping me off. Brb playing fifa/cod/ow/battlefield.

Pathetic addicts get that they deserve.
Aren't you the poster that said they'd leave and not respond the Overwatch Moderation tools thread and then continued to post?
Alongside 200+ posts the last 3 weeks? Addiction is a hell of a thing.

Sensates

Didn't get anything yet.

Anyway since when in QP all roles players can pick any roles and not fixed to 1 tank/2heal/2 dmg? I thought that was a good refreshing change.

NinjaBoiX

People need to get a grip with this kind of shit.

“Wah, I can’t play my favourite game immediately upon launch, and I completely lack the sense to look at this minor inconvenience like a well-balanced human being, wah, wah,”

Just chill the fuck out and go do something else for a while, what is wrong with you?

I don’t get it…

Rykan

What exactly are these people complaining about?

That the game's servers were shitting the bed for 2 days? Ok, it's fixed now, and you got some swag for your troubles, did you expect a blowjob on top of it or something?

I legit don't get what horrible injustice you're rioting against.
That a lot of people, probably most people playing right now, are former OW1 players and did not get the game for free. Saying: "Stop complaining, the game is free" is not and should not be considered a valid argument because it flat out isn't true. That is all I'm saying. I have no issue with the compensation itself, I think it's fair and server outages are understandable. I have an issue with a very particular inaccurate argument being made, that's all.
If you bought OW1 back in the day, you keep every cosmetic from it and get the new heroes for free. This is just a major patch as far as you're concerned.

Pay-to-play gaas turn F2P when playerbase declines. TF2 did it. CS:GO did it. PUBG did it. Starcraft 2 did it.
That is an old misconception. Games do not just turn Free to Play because of declining player base. They go free to play because Free to Play games are far more profitable than boxed games, especially for competitive live service games.
You can make an argument that OW1 had healthy player numbers these last couple of years, but my 15+ minutes queue times, which had me and my group quit the game completely out of frustration, would beg to differ.
That's due to a design issue with OW and it has little to do with total player base numbers. The game is split up in different roles and there's been a disproportionate amount of people who want to play damage roles compared to Tank and Healer, yet most queue's in OW requires 2 of each role. That's why OW2 removed 1 of the tank roles.

tvdaXD

People saying "Oh it's just 2 days" obviously don't play the game, there's still some issues with matches being rebooted.

I can't laugh at the people ruining the hobby, or being too addicted and stupid to help themselves? Jerry Springer was built on that idea.

So get back in your box, forum police.
And for you, again, what are you even doing here? You're talking a lot of nonsense.
I don’t get it…
That's obvious.
I can’t tell. I literally don’t see why people are upset. Nobody will answer me. I’ve played both versions. It’s the same game
Exactly, then why isn't this an update? I'm vocal about it because it's been going downhill only, and me like many others are sick of being bent over by Blizzard's stupid decisions.

dorkimoe

People saying "Oh it's just 2 days" obviously don't play the game, there's still some issues with matches being rebooted.

And for you, again, what are you even doing here? You're talking a lot of nonsense.

That's obvious.

Exactly, then why isn't this an update? I'm vocal about it because it's been going downhill only, and me like many others are sick of being bent over by Blizzard's stupid decisions.
Then why are you quitting if you just admitted it’s the same game and you love ow1? I want reasons. And not technical stuff like servers crashing

That a lot of people, probably most people playing right now, are former OW1 players and did not get the game for free.
Yeah, they got it for 40 bucks 6 years ago, fam. Stop with this pearl clutching, they're not owed anything at this point. Do you demand free refills for coffee you bought last week as well?
Saying: "Stop complaining, the game is free" is not and should not be considered a valid argument because it flat out isn't true.
Which is you attacking a strawman. Nobody said it LIKE THAT. People here are taking the piss out of the OP suggesting that free legendary skin is not good enough compensation for 2 days of server downtime.
They go free to play because Free to Play games are far more profitable than boxed games, especially for competitive live service games.
Frame it like this if it's more comfortable for you, but OW1 was a dead game these past years.
That's due to a design issue with OW and it has little to do with total player base numbers. The game is split up in different roles and there's been a disproportionate amount of people who want to play damage roles compared to Tank and Healer, yet most queue's in OW requires 2 of each role. That's why OW2 removed 1 of the tank roles.
So from 15+ minutes we got to under a minute queue times. Wow, removing 1 tank was sure a genious 500 IQ decision then, huh. That totally was the one that solved it all, yep. Totally has nothing to do with player numbers, amirite guys.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Moving to a new game / game engine was totally necessary as the developers have been quoted several times saying the original game wasn’t made for the amount of content they added and more importantly HOW they had to add the content. “Shoe horning” and “cobbling together” in regards to new content were words I remember hearing about the old engine.

Complaining about OW1 shutting down and forcing people to move to what is a essentially an upgraded version of the same game is pretty out of touch. This release has been bumpy, and I have stated I’m not too thrilled with the F2P drop rate (I have faith this will be tweaked each season), but you can’t really argue that have millions of new players coming into a game can be counted as anything but positive. Due to this change in structure and the new customer base we are getting new heroes, maps, modes, and yes even cosmetics on a constant basis for the next few years which was something that all but died the last 2 and half years of OW1.

I will take massive and continued drops of content in a game I love over keeping an unkept multiplayer relic online just so people can play in their walled garden of elitists wishing we can go back in time in 2018 on a game that keeps reiterating itself.

Last edited:

Rykan

Yeah, they got it for 40 bucks 6 years ago, fam. Stop with this pearl clutching, they're not owed anything at this point. Do you demand free refills for coffee you bought last week as well?
How much they spend on the game depends entirely on the version they've purchased. The game was released 6 years ago. It has been available for purchase during that entire period up until the "launch" of OW2. Blizzard also offered additional purchases in the form of Lootboxes in those 6 years. What, you thought the entire player base purchased the game at release?
Which is you attacking a strawman. Nobody said it LIKE THAT. People here are taking the piss out of the OP suggesting that free legendary skin is not good enough compensation for 2 days of server downtime.
Have you tried actually reading the posts before commenting? Here, let me help you out:
You had issues with a free-to-play game and you're claiming you're entitled to more free stuff thatn the free stuff they're giving? And you even get pissy about it?

Kid nowadays... 😂

You're right tho. Someone in this thread is definitely "part of the problem with today's gaming landscape." Only, that someone is not who you think they are 😂
so a game you get for free you expect more from and charge for skins and things
Several posters have tried to make a point that the game is "Free" and thus the op is not entitled to more compensation, when in reality a large amount of players ,if not most of them, are probably OW1 players and have certainly paid for the game. That is the ONLY part of their argument I take issue with and that I'm addressing.

Frame it like this if it's more comfortable for you, but OW1 was a dead game these past years.
Oh by all means, keep ignoring facts and logic. I'm sure the enormous success of free to play game since the launch of OW1 like Warzone, Fortnite, Apex Legends didn't influence Blizzard's decision at all. Counterstrike GO? Pff, nobody was playing that game before it went free to play, right?
So from 15+ minutes we got to under a minute queue times. Wow, removing 1 tank was sure a genious 500 IQ decision then, huh. That totally was the one that solved it all, yep. Totally has nothing to do with player numbers, amirite guys.
You thought that they just removed one role and went through the trouble of rebalancing the game just for the fun of it? It's well known fact that Overwatch had Tank as a bottleneck. It doesn't matter how big your player base is if you have a bottleneck in matchmaking. I've played OW 1 quite a bit last year. Tanks had insta queue and healers was usually a matter of seconds as well. Nobody knows how large OW's player population really was, but it was certainly being played still and it had an esports scene going. I doubt Blizzard would go through the trouble of relaunching as a Free to Play game and committing themselves to years of additional content if the game didn't had players or interest. We've seen with Heroes of the Storm what Blizzard's response is to games with a dwindling player base.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

You've been counting how much I post and where?

Are you one of those freaks who looks through people's history as some kind of gotcha?

Get help
Nah, the negativity and general demeanour seemed familiar, but didn't recognise the avatar.
Likewise chief. You sure care a lot about things that you don't care about 😘

Nah, the negativity and general demeanour seemed familiar, but didn't recognise the avatar.
Likewise chief. You sure care a lot about things that you don't care about 😘
I care about this industry, and how it has been infected with addicts created by shitty practices because people are too weak to walk away and demand better.

Any true fan of OW should be protesting this poor excuse of an update by not playing. Believe me, when the numbers hit the floor, the devs will give out more than skins to bring players back.

instead, we have people complaining that it should be better, but not doing anything about it. So the devs won't fix shit. Then the next game comes out broken or f2p full of bugs even worse than OW and it keeps going and going and going until we have nothing but dreggs in the industry.

tvdaXD

Then why are you quitting if you just admitted it’s the same game and you love ow1? I want reasons. And not technical stuff like servers crashing
Oh I'll be playing, but as soon as Uncharted releases I'll be playing that, with Modern Warfare 2 afterwards. Will return from time to time, it's just a shame it has to go like this, another great title lost to corporate greed.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
...You do realize those games aren't the norm right?

5bqa9jR.gif

User has been removed from the thread.
Blizzard also offered additional purchases in the form of Lootboxes in those 6 years. What, you thought the entire player base purchased the game at release?
You still own everything you got from those lootboxes in OW2, hello? You ok, dude? Neurodivergent much? I said it 3 times now. You've officially lost the plot and complaining for complaining's sake.
All you're left with is batting for that one dumbass that bought a dying 6 year old always online game for full price after the sequel was announced. Keep figthing the good fight, I guess? Lmao.
press-f-to-pay-respect.gif

Have you tried actually reading the posts before commenting? Here, let me help you out:
Have you tried reading the posts you're fucking quoting? Here, let me help you out:
You had issues with a free-to-play game and you're claiming you're entitled to more free stuff thatn the free stuff they're giving?

Oh by all means, keep ignoring facts and logic.
b23d5c15b05f0fc8e528bf37bb0a73de.jpg

It's well known fact that Overwatch had Tank as a bottleneck.
But support had shortest queue times and awarded priority queue tickets and lootboxes. It's like I throw a punch and instead of punching back, you're punching yourself twice as hard.

You drove it enough, we'll taking it back.
It wasn't a car shop, it was a car rental.
Which is why it was cheaper upfront, but I guess it's somehow their fault you didn't get the memo.
They didn't take it back either, they renovated it for free and even put a new stereo in it in return for 2 days of your inconvenience. In exchange for all that, the paintjob is more expensive should you choose to get one, but you obviously don't have to.
Jesus wept, what a raw fucking deal indeed.

If Alex Jones was hit for nearly a billion, clearly we need something similar for our pain and suffering of a rocky launch for a video game.

Rykan

You still own everything you got from those lootboxes in OW2, hello? You ok, dude? Neurodivergent much? I said it 3 times now. You've officially lost the plot and complaining for complaining's sake.
All you're left with is batting for that one dumbass that bought a dying 6 year old always online game for full price after the sequel was announced. Keep figthing the good fight, I guess? Lmao.
Oh man, you are THIS close to getting it. You're so close! Keep grasping mate, you're almost there. Let me help you out and push you in the right direction. Notice how you still own everything from the lootboxes (which could be purchased for real money) in "OW2? Did you also notice that all the maps are in "OW2?" And that you also have every character (which you've paid for when you bought OW1) is already unlocked and available in "OW2?" Have you noticed that there has not been a single other multiplayer game in recent history that has "Shut down" and "been replaced" the moment a new entry came out?Is it starting to add up yet? Come on, you're THIS close to getting it.

It's the same game. OW2 isn't a "new" game, it's a relaunch with a free to play option for new players. If you already own content in OW2, it's because you have paid for the original OW

Your argument is so incredibly bad that you're now actually insulting people for purchasing the game. Overwatch 2 was first announced in 2019. It came out in 2022. So anyone who didn't wait 3 years for the sequel is a "dumbass". Blizzard announced from the very beginning that OW2's pvp would be available to people who purchased OW1. Overwatch becoming Free to play wasn't announced until 4 months ago, or 2 and a half years after its initial announcement. Yeah fuck those people who didn't wait 3 years before buying a game they'd like to play after confirmation that they would get access to OW2's pvp as well once it comes out, right? I'm not complaining for complaining's sake. In fact, I've literally done the opposite: I've said that the compensation is fine. I'm simply pointing out that the game hasn't been free for a large amount, if not most people playing OW2 and that it makes for a shitty argument.

Have you tried reading the posts you're fucking quoting? Here, let me help you out:
Let me spell it out for you one more time: The only part that I take issue with is the part where people use "it's free to play" as part of their argument. Whatever comes after that is completely irrelevant.

Here is what this conversation has been like.

Poster 1 in response to OP: You shouldn't be complaining. Overwatch 2 is a free game and you got free compensation for the outage. You're acting entitled
Me: Actually, Overwatch 2 isn't a new game. It's a relaunch of Overwatch's pvp with a free to play option for new players. The game game isn't free for people who already
bought OW1.
You: "YoU'Re NoT AdrEssIng The oThEr HalF of HiS ArgUmEnT"
Me: Because I don't disagree with it. I think the compensation is fair. I'm saying that "It's Free" shouldn't be part of the discussion because It's not free for a lot of people
You:"No! ThAtS a StrAwMaN".

But support had shortest queue times and awarded priority queue tickets and lootboxes. It's like I throw a punch and instead of punching back, you're punching yourself twice as hard.
Tank had the shortest queue times with Support being the next in line. You're right: Both of these roles give out priority tickets and lootboxes, which was Blizzards attempt to fix a Bottleneck issue. The game had long Queues because the game had too many DPS players. Have you ever played an MMORPG? Go load up FFXIV or WoW and queue up for a dungeon as a DPS, and then again as a tank or healer. it's the exact same issue: Very short queues for tanks and healers, long queues for DPS players. It had nothing to do with a lack of players. If that was the case then EVERY role would have long queue times and that's not the case.

Last edited:

Griffon

OW2 is basically a big patch.
It's exactly how TF2 became a F2P game and evolved/changed with more gameplay options (unlockable weapon loadouts and stuff like that).

I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it's always been like that: Live games evolve, it just happens. Patches add and remove stuff, and monetization schemes change. Plenty of games became free to play later in their shelf life.

If you dislike change, just buy physical single player games. Because active online games always change.

To only cite two more big examples: current Fortnite and FF14 are way different than their past incarnations. OW 2.0 is not a special case and you're not entitled to shit for it.

Last edited:

Freeman76

The fact people are bothered about this is nothing short of pathetic. "Making it up to people"....lmao. It had server issues for a few days...POOR YOU.

Have you noticed that there has not been a single other multiplayer game in recent history that has "Shut down" and "been replaced" the moment a new entry came out?
Ever heard of World of Warcraft? Starcraft 2? Destiny, perhaps? Left 4 Dead, maybe? Dota, possibly?

Glad you finally got out from under that rock. Hope the sunlight doesn't hurt your eyes too much.

So anyone who didn't wait 3 years for the sequel is a "dumbass".
Anyone who bought it for full price instead of countless times it was discounted is a dumbass, yes. What's your argument? Wanna buy Modern Warfare 2019 for $70 off of me real quick, as a self-respecting non-dumbass?

The only part that I take issue with is the part where people use "it's free to play" as part of their argument.
This fucking guy legit thinks arguing against quotes taken out of context is a good look.
It had nothing to do with a lack of players.
The cope is strong with this one.
But I saved the biggest reveal for the third act: My 15+ minutes queues in OW1 were in all roles queue.
Now dance for me, monkey.

wOs

You drove it enough, well taking it back.
For a day and a half to jazz it up with a fresh coat of paint. Including all your past accessories.

Last edited:

Rykan

Ever heard of World of Warcraft? Starcraft 2? Destiny, perhaps? Left 4 Dead, maybe? Dota, possibly?
It's fucking hilarious that you cite examples that prove my point for me

World of Warcraft? Oh i'm sorry, I might have missed when World of Warcraft 2 was announced and released.
Starcraft 1 remains accessible and playable after the release of Starcraft 2. In fact, Blizzard remastered it not too long ago.
Destiny 1 remains accessible and playable after the release of Destiny 2.
L4D 1 remains accessible and playable after the release of L4D 2.
Dota 1 remains accessible and playable after the release of Dota2. Dota 1 isn't a commercial product: It's a mod.

None of them. Literally none of the games you've mentioned shut down and were replaced as soon as the sequel came out. You're not very good at this whole debating thing, are you?
Anyone who bought it for full price instead of countless times it was discounted is a dumbass, yes. What's your argument? Wanna buy Modern Warfare 2019 for $70 off of me real quick, as a self-respecting non-dumbass?
Okay, that's an opinion. But sure. Even if we go with your shitty take, that still changes nothing to the argument: People who purchased on sale STILL paid for the game and thus the argument "it's free" doesn't apply here.
This fucking guy legit thinks arguing against quotes taken out of context is a good look.
LOL "Out of context". Is this another term you don't understand, like "strawman"? Addressing one part of the argument doesn't mean I'm taking it out of context or changing the context in any shape or form. The full context of the quote doesn't change anything to the point he was making, which is that the game being "Free to play" is relevant. Which it isn't, because it's not for a lot of people.
The cope is strong with this one.
But I saved the biggest reveal for the third act: My 15+ minutes queues in OW1 were in all roles queue.
Now dance for me, monkey.
So let me get this straight: You want to "prove" that OW1 had no more players and to do that you cite your own experience in the Casual open roles queue that nobody plays because it's not the main gamemode of the game? What a joke. Pretty much the entire player base plays Role queue, not open Queue.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just played my first game.

Initially was disconnected as soon as a connected.

First actual game of payload was great, we were working well as a team, really going well, then i disconnected again.

I’ll wait for some patches.

Top Bottom