• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch adds another LGBTQ Charcter.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I care about social norms being represented, not ideologies.
Tell me something, is developers not allowed to have gay characters in their game? When developers can have gay characters in their games without being accused of having some kind of “agenda”?

I think you guys would be more comfortable over at Era, I'm spoken my piece.

Adios.
Are you saying you need a safe space?

dXTJga0.gif

It's a shame we not on Voat or lolcow or whatever where you can win an argument by repeating agendaaaaaaaaa, eh? Maybe you'll have more luck there.

Last edited:
Tell me something, is developers not allowed to have gay characters in their game? When developers can have gay characters in their games without being accused of having some kind of “agenda”?
When it doesn't show the ire of a political agenda then sure.

When it doesn't show the ire of a political agenda then sure.
Otherwise what? They shouldn't do what they want because it offends you?

Where is the political agenda here anyway?

And what's so bad about a political agenda anyway? A lot of videogames have a political message.

Last edited:
Kids play over watch. Overwatch could be considered mainstream media these days. Imagine if there were LGBT characters on the disney afternoon or Saturday morning cartoons back when you were a kid. It’d be bedlam in the streets. Just a little perspective.

Last edited:
Otherwise what? They shouldn't do what they want because it offends you?

Where is the political agenda here anyway?

And what's so bad about a political agenda anyway? A lot of videogames have a political message.
I'm not offended it's just annoying.

The political agenda is in the numbers, for their LGBTQ character representation to be accurate they would have to increase the amount of straight characters by 32... 32...

Because it's wrong and it misrepresents actual representation.
So.....if it doesn’t match you personal view it means they “ire of a political agenda”?
tenor.gif
Read.

Last edited:
The political agenda is in the numbers, for their LGBTQ character representation to be accurate they would have to increase the amount of straight characters by 32... 32...
Oh my good, there are 2 gay characters in 29! It should have been 2 in 32! This was it's HISTORICALLY ACCURATE and REALISTIC.

nxsVuTi.jpg

Kids play over watch. Overwatch could be considered mainstream media these days. Imagine if there were LGBT characters on the disney afternoon or Saturday morning cartoons back when you were a kid. It’d be bedlam in the streets. Just a little perspective.
Would have been pretty good. Being gay in the '90s was pretty hard (It still is today in a lot parts of the world), finding a positive role model or seeing yourself rapresented can help a lot of people and feels nice.

Last edited:

moniker

Being gay is not, but forcing LGBTQ narratives and left wing ideological standings into video games exceeding the statistical standards for their existence is.

The national percentage of people that identify as LGBTQ is 3.8%, this games player percentage that are LGBTQ is 11.5%, three times the statistical standard for existence.

It's an agenda and I will remain that it's an agenda.

Any game that has less than 3.8% LGBTQ characters have an anti-gay agenda.
No. This is silly.

ancelotti

I didn't even realize there was a story to Overwatch. It seems like it's not (if barely) in the game at all? Maybe we can get Ellie on the line and get her thoughts on the situation.

TLZ

Banned
Because you do care, you can't stand the idea of a gay person existing in your favorite game. Most videogame characters have their sexual preference set as straight and they tell you, but you don't care. But a character mention a gay love, and you lose your mind.

D5B9ugV.jpg

There was no outrage over Torbjorn having a family after all.

Screen_Shot_2017_04_10_at_3.12.57_PM.0.png

Or Widowmaker's ex-husband.

It's only when a character mention a same-sex lover that you and people like you lose your shit, because you do care and you start to rant about "why does it matter???" while at the same time avoiding this kind of content.
But why are you annoyed that people like him don't like it? Aren't we free to choose what to like and not to like? In my case, I'd rather all sexual anything is thrown out. I don't care. It all feels forced and for me has no place in gaming. If it's a mature game, well whatever. But I don't want to see them forced in games easily accessible by very young people.

Danjin44

Who in the fuck caaaaares!!! Playing as gay character is no different than playing as female character in games even tho I’m male. “Agenda” this “SJW” that, who gives a rat ass honestly? Developers should be free to make what they want to make and you are free not to buy it, simple as that. Case closed.

Last edited:
But why are you annoyed that people like him don't like it? Aren't we free to choose what to like and not to like? In my case, I'd rather all sexual anything is thrown out. I don't care. It all feels forced and for me has no place in gaming. If it's a mature game, well whatever. But I don't want to see them forced in games easily accessible by very young people.
It's not in the game.

Also there is nothing sexual in this?

Dacon

Banned
The only agenda present here is Blizzard exploiting one of their character's sexuality to distract from bad PR like falling stocks, employees quitting, lessened interest in Overwatch as a whole and the entire "Ellie" scandal. Theyre pandering in an attempt to draw attention to Overwatch as a game for being more "inclusive" and draw attention away from the less than ideal things happening with their brand. It worked, this is all anyone is talking about on twitter and gaming sites right now in regards to Overwatch. All of the other stories are just an afterthought at this point. You need only consider the fact that this was revealed now, instead of years ago. They held onto the fact that he was gay until it would be most useful.

There is no LGBTwhatever agenda, conspiracy, or scheme to force anything on anyone. This is just typical PR at work.

Last edited:

CatCouch

If having a gay character in a game is a problem for very young people would Overwatch be okay? It's a shooter. Would shooting be appropriate?

TLZ

Banned
It's not in the game.

What I'm saying is in a game like this, why does it matter what their orientation is? What difference does it make if the character is straight or not? What does it add to the game? Their look? Does a gay person look gay? Do they have a different, specific look? And even if they do, what difference does it make to a game like overwatch? Do they shoot faster? Are they extra emotional and rage quick? I don't get it.

Paracelsus

The amount of people in denial about this not being a stunt to take the attention away from that affirmative action fiasco of last week is insane.

It's not in the game.

If there’s nothing sexual then there’s zero reason to have sexualized choices. There are two genders. Give options for clothing, heck let them pick from a list of voices that go either way so you can completely use your imagination and create what you wish but it’s a GAME. what does a child need to know how a digital character likes to get his or her rocks off? It’s nonsense.

betrayal

Banned
I don't mind 76 being gay because i don't mind if anyone in real life is gay. Though i have to say it feels a bit forced in Overwatch. Considering that in general the community can be pretty toxic in OV i guess people can "enjoy" a lote more jokes about gays then before if someone picks 76.

Beyond that i really like the PTR changes. Nerfing armor, Baguette's ultimate and buffing Reaper is just excellent. It will nerf GOATs and hopefully will force a more interesting meta just before season 2 of OWL arrives.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
The amount of people in denial about this not being a stunt to take the attention away from that affirmative action fiasco of last week is insane.

Obviously. Why wasnt his sexuality revealed years ago? Or when tracers was revealed?

Think of the timing.

Paracelsus

Who in the fuck caaaaares!!! Playing as gay character is no different than playing as female character in games even tho I’m male. “Agenda” this “SJW” that, who gives a rat ass honestly? Developers should be free to make what they want to make and you are free not to buy it, simple as that. Case closed.

The overwhelming majority of gamers picked male Shepard and Alexios in assassin's creed: odyssey. Much like women and poc want to play as women and poc, straight men don't want to play as lgbt men. When they play as women, they do because they find them hot, definitely not because of fair representation or wanting to roleplay as Kassandra sleeping with old men.

Danjin44

The overwhelming majority of gamers picked male Shepard and Alexios in assassin's creed: odyssey. Much like women and poc want to play as women and poc, straight men don't want to play as lgbt men. When they play as women, they do because they find them hot, definitely not because of fair representation or wanting to roleplay as Kassandra sleeping with old men.
I personally care far more about if I like the design or not. If I like design then I have zero problem playing as male gay character.

Dacon

Banned

I don't know friend. I did enjoy roleplaying as a lesbian in Mass Effect and romancing Liara. My femshep wasn't particularly attractive unfortunately.

wzy

People react negatively to this stuff because its cynical and tedious and costs the developers nothing and turns games into lifestyle products to appeal to people with no authentic sense of self or purpose, which ultimately leads to shittier games and more incendiary stunts. Twelve different combat barks and a promotional comic is not something people who aren't generally ludicrous can identify with, gay or otherwise. I know, I know: according to the media, representation in media is a core pillar of socially conscious politics. Who would have guessed? Here I was thinking there was no more obvious sign that a movement was officially dead and buried than getting official sponsorship courtesy of an industry giant, but no this is definitely a very important step that surely precipitates more concrete social change and after all there's no historical record of this kind of thing sublimating sustained activism to conspicuous consumption and empty cultural signifiers. Weird that a representation can be so shallow, non?

I think what everybody should keep in mind is that what makes this noteworthy at all is the C-word. No, canon. If you want a gay Soldier 76 it's just a Google search away, hombres. Whether the point is personal validation or something definitely completely different like masturbation, well, the internet is a big fantasy machine and I don't feel the least bit weird about guaranteeing a bottomless well of fan-crafted media featuring Soldier 76 in every possible configuration of identities you find appealing without even bothering to check. This doesn't cut it though, because the sort of person that cares about Overwatch lore to begin with is already so deeply, irretrievably lost down the rabbit hole of brand engagement that they can't even get hard without a Blizzard logo floating around somewhere in the picture. Fandom is un-official, an inferior product. It doesn't "count" unless the objectively fake, non-person is a certifiably real, gay, character with a trademark and everything. Bonus points for deciding that the next character out of the closet would be the most conventionally masculine jaw-marine in the roster for maximum subversion, because the other half of the point here is colonizing existing symbols of male power and staking your claim over meaning itself (and ensuring the strongest possible reaction, which is how clicks are made). The more audaciously done the better it works because the whole idea is to get people to accept that the truth is whatever your media betters tell you it is.

Reflecting demographic reality has nothing at all to do with this. Controlling reality is more lucrative, and surprise, it's a much easier trick to pull on people who wonder if the fictional character in question is really gay or not. This kind of mental illness isn't unique to fandom sub-cultures but it's particularly grating in cases like this, because the insinuation into existing communities is the whole and only point. No one would care about an all-female Ghostbusters if men didn't hate it. The taking is the point. It's an assertion of already-existing power (to simply buy ideas themselves) and general enfranchisement (piles of money and infinite social currency as long as Hollywood has anything to say about it, i.e., probably not for much longer), deliberately exclusionary, maximally provocative, masquerading as an appeal to the needs for inclusion and acceptance of the marginalized. Pure trolling, in other words. Oh, but why are people so upset? Hmm.

betrayal

Banned

I think you both have a point.

OV is an online multiplayer game where you should pick your hero based on the teams need or effectiveness and not because you like the look or backstory of a character. In a game like OV most people don't care about these things while playing the game.

On the other hand, in single player games, most people do care. Most people (not all) want to play with a character that as closely as possible resemble themselves or is better in some or even many ways.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

This is epitome of shoehorning identity politics for scoring a few political points. It's pointless in any other way. The game doesn't even include a story.

Well, I stopped playing it years ago because the achievements were luck-based, i.e., not worth my time. It's probably uninstalled right now. But good to know what game not to play in the future.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
This is epitome of shoehorning identity politics for scoring a few political points. It's pointless in any other way. The game doesn't even include a story.

Well, I stopped playing it years ago because the achievements were luck-based, i.e., not worth my time. It's probably uninstalled right now. But good to know what game not to play in the future.

It's not pointless at all. They achieved what they set out to do.

If there’s nothing sexual then there’s zero reason to have sexualized choices. There are two genders. Give options for clothing, heck let them pick from a list of voices that go either way so you can completely use your imagination and create what you wish but it’s a GAME. what does a child need to know how a digital character likes to get his or her rocks off? It’s nonsense.
What?
What I'm saying is in a game like this, why does it matter what their orientation is?
Background. You are not interested, don't read the comics. They exist for people who want to know more about Overwatch characters. Like torbjorn having a family or the fact that WIndowmaker is not ever her husband.

Akuza89

It's a video game character.... it doesn't matter.

Yes these characters some times have the odd video away from the game... but it's not like there's going be any sexual interaction between the characters in those videos... so why even bother saying what they are into? Leave it to own interpretation I say, since it really shouldn't matter.

Yes, we know. Contrary to the "We don't care!!!" claims in this thread, you do care. It almost terrifies to play as someone with a different sexuality.

I have to correct you, women, gay men and poc don't mind playing as straight white men. We are used to it, it's like a second nature. It's the majiority who is terrified of stepping out of their bubble.

d8es3HJ.jpg

Last edited:
I have publicly disgraced myself. My posts are being left as an example of how not to post here. I apologise for my immaturity.
Yes, they did. Shoehorning identity politics and scoring political points with the activist crowd.
It also makes homophobes like you mad. Two birds. One stone.

People react negatively to this stuff because its cynical and tedious and costs the developers nothing and turns games into lifestyle products to appeal to people with no authentic sense of self or purpose, which ultimately leads to shittier games and more incendiary stunts. Twelve different combat barks and a promotional comic is not something people who aren't generally ludicrous can identify with, gay or otherwise. I know, I know: according to the media, representation in media is a core pillar of socially conscious politics. Who would have guessed? Here I was thinking there was no more obvious sign that a movement was officially dead and buried than getting official sponsorship courtesy of an industry giant, but no this is definitely a very important step that surely precipitates more concrete social change and after all there's no historical record of this kind of thing sublimating sustained activism to conspicuous consumption and empty cultural signifiers. Weird that a representation can be so shallow, non?

I think what everybody should keep in mind is that what makes this noteworthy at all is the C-word. No, canon. If you want a gay Soldier 76 it's just a Google search away, hombres. Whether the point is personal validation or something definitely completely different like masturbation, well, the internet is a big fantasy machine and I don't feel the least bit weird about guaranteeing a bottomless well of fan-crafted media featuring Soldier 76 in every possible configuration of identities you find appealing without even bothering to check. This doesn't cut it though, because the sort of person that cares about Overwatch lore to begin with is already so deeply, irretrievably lost down the rabbit hole of brand engagement that they can't even get hard without a Blizzard logo floating around somewhere in the picture. Fandom is un-official, an inferior product. It doesn't "count" unless the objectively fake, non-person is a certifiably real, gay, character with a trademark and everything. Bonus points for deciding that the next character out of the closet would be the most conventionally masculine jaw-marine in the roster for maximum subversion, because the other half of the point here is colonizing existing symbols of male power and staking your claim over meaning itself (and ensuring the strongest possible reaction, which is how clicks are made). The more audaciously done the better it works because the whole idea is to get people to accept that the truth is whatever your media betters tell you it is.

Reflecting demographic reality has nothing at all to do with this. Controlling reality is more lucrative, and surprise, it's a much easier trick to pull on people who wonder if the fictional character in question is really gay or not. This kind of mental illness isn't unique to fandom sub-cultures but it's particularly grating in cases like this, because the insinuation into existing communities is the whole and only point. No one would care about an all-female Ghostbusters if men didn't hate it. The taking is the point. It's an assertion of already-existing power (to simply buy ideas themselves) and general enfranchisement (piles of money and infinite social currency as long as Hollywood has anything to say about it, i.e., probably not for much longer), deliberately exclusionary, maximally provocative, masquerading as an appeal to the needs for inclusion and acceptance of the marginalized. Pure trolling, in other words. Oh, but why are people so upset? Hmm.

PT1qc7n.jpg

Danjin44

On the other hand, in single player games, most people do care. Most people (not all) want to play with a character that as closely as possible resemble themselves or is better in some or even many ways.
I guess I’m different than others. I want to play as someone interesting instead of just play as myself, this why like established characters waaaay more than character creation in my games.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Yes these characters some times have the odd video away from the game... but it's not like there's going be any sexual interaction between the characters in those videos... so why even bother saying what they are into? Leave it to own interpretation I say, since it really shouldn't matter.

Oh no! You are trying to use your imagination! Only alt-righters do that. Good people just think what they are told to think!

/s

Thiagosc777

I guess I’m different than others. I want to play as someone interesting instead of just play as myself, this why like established characters waaaay more than character creation in my games.

You are not. No normal person play games to play themselves. I think NPCs would be better off buying mirrors if all they want is to see themselves.

betrayal

Banned
I guess I’m different than others. I want to play as someone interesting instead of just as myself, this why like established characters waaaay more than character creation in my games.

Like i said, most people, not everybody, but i admit that my wording was bad. I didn't mean to say that people want to play a character who's exactly like themselves. What i meant was men will often pick a male character and women will often pick female characters, if given the choice.

Last edited:
Women have no issue playing as a dude. Same with gay guys playing straight guys. We are used to it.

It's only when opposite happens that people start to rant about agendaaaaa and forceeeeeed.

Oh and shoved down my throat lol.

83ATPwt.jpg

Last edited:

Paracelsus

I personally care far more about if I like the design or not. If I like design then I have zero problem playing as male gay character.

To me it depends on the game: if asexual, then whatever. If the game can develop in romantic elements (or features canon romantic elements out the control of the player) then I'm out. I'm still in cautious watch about Cyberpunk 2077 for that reason.

wzy

Posting pictures of text: a devastating reply to someone who argues that the politics of representation lack substance and appeal only to shallow morons. Can you consider for a moment that your ability to produce a meme for all comers, apparently by memory, might suggest some uncomfortable truths about where your head is at, here? If you didn't want the culture war, how come you have so many of its weapons lying around?

Danjin44

What i meant was men will often pick a male character and women will often pick female characters, if given the choice.
Here is the thing. I can relate to male, female or gay character as long as the characterization is good. This why I like Kat in Gravity Rush so much, to me she is the most grounded and relatable character I ever played.
To me it depends on the game: if asexual, then whatever. If the game can develop in romantic elements (or features canon romantic elements out the control of the player) then I'm out. I'm still in cautious watch about Cyberpunk 2077 for that reason.
I don’t mind that as long as the write the romance well.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
OK? i don't really care if a character is straight/gay or identifies as a particular sex (or none)....

this shit is suited for over at ResetEra where they will no doubt be praising Blizzard for LGBT representation. It's cool and I got nothing against it but jeez I just wanna play games.

'Cuz war has changed.
incoming Fallout quotes...

Last edited:
Top Bottom