• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch adds another LGBTQ Charcter.

klosos

Guess what , Solider 76 is a boring character before he was gay and he is still boring now , such a dull and uninspired character and design.

if people find happiness in a pretend characters sexuality then so be it and enjoy.

So two adults consenting to erotic/sexual relations is in what way comparable to seduction/rape of minors? Reminds me of the right winged tabloids in my country posting bs about country X now allowing people to marry or fuck dogs by law and how they want to bring this shit to our country and destroy our holy culture same way they want to bring gay marriage (it was a recent breakthrough here, yay).

Spotted the hypocrite pedophile. There are literally radical-left pedophiles sympathiser who are using the same methods, languages and ideologic tools to justify pedophilia right now out of universities, on twitter and some forums...

Who is being alienated? Who is being “invisibled?”

90% of people, most that are not LGBT, some that are even LGBT and don't recognise themselves in the culture. That's the problem of identity being used as a forced marketing "queer-washing" token in ways that don't make sense with the character or narrative, rather than it being a casual or normative part of a wider individuality with a larger experience people can relate to.

Last edited:
Guess what , Solider 76 is a boring character before he was gay and he is still boring now , such a dull and uninspired character and design.

if people find happiness in a pretend characters sexuality then so be it and enjoy.

Soldier is a pretty solid jack of all trade heroes. He’s good especially for the traditional FPS players

I don’t think anyone in this thread is even happy he’s gay, maybe one person expressed that.

This is mostly people unhappy he’s gay and those of us which think being bothered by it is silly.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Spotted the hypocrite pedophile. There are literally radical-left pedophiles sympathiser who are using the same methods, languages and ideologic tools to justify pedophilia right now out of universities, on twitter and some forums...
Wtf? Explain please? How am I a pedophile for not accepting it's at all similar to two adults consenting to sex?

Last edited:

Dunki

So two adults consenting to erotic/sexual relations is in what way comparable to seduction/rape of minors? Reminds me of the right winged tabloids in my country posting bs about country X now allowing people to marry or fuck dogs by law and how they want to bring this shit to our country and destroy our holy culture same way they want to bring gay marriage (it was a recent breakthrough here, yay).
That makes no sense since they are in the age of consent. The lolicon artstlye does makes them look younger but they are not. And if you now try to to ague that this is all a facade? Just a while ago it was totally normal to get Hentai game featuring 10-12 boys and girls (and yes this was their real age in Japan) So no these Artists do not need to hide anything.

Even if this mysterious loli elf is over 500 years old.

PS: I had to show my ID for buying beer which is allowed at 16 in Germany until I was 24 and got grey hair. People can look vey coung even through they are not in real life as well.

Last edited:
It's a video game character.... it doesn't matter.

Yes these characters some times have the odd video away from the game... but it's not like there's going be any sexual interaction between the characters in those videos... so why even bother saying what they are into? Leave it to own interpretation I say, since it really shouldn't matter.

Again, no one complains about the heterosexuality expressed in the comics tho. There’s no thread for Ana having a daughter. You say “it doesn’t matter” but are only posting when a gay hero is confirmed.

The “why even say what they are into” crowd hide behind the fact that they don’t say a word when heterosexuality is embraced/represented in video games

Last edited:

Blam

Honestly this sounds super fucking forced. Blizzard I'm disappointed, and honestly who fucking cares. It's a fictional character in a shallow universe held together by the strings that also tie together the community in the game.

Alexios

It isn't. But that doesn't mean that that movement is not trying to take off, after the success of the LGBT movement;

https://socialnewsdaily.com/73251/scholar-deems-pedophilia-unchangeable/
If it's not, why are you comparing it at all yourself then? And why equate the success of LGBT to pedophiles once again? How about pointing out their logical fallacies instead when they try to promote pedophilia rather than fall to their trap and consider it at all similar to a very sensible sexual orientation that deserves to be as free as any other if they're really trying to use it as a springboard for their ways? I don't like the implication of oppressing sane people who harm nobody but simply try to live their life free like everyone because some other people might use their successes to push their own sick agendas.

Last edited:
Honestly this sounds super fucking forced. Blizzard I'm disappointed, and honestly who fucking cares. It's a fictional character in a shallow universe held together by the strings that also tie together the community in the game.

Can you provide an example of non-hetero representation in a game that that you didn’t feel was “forced?”

roflcaust

Neo Member
Typical corporate identity politics horseshit. It's completely meaningless and so cliché to have this rugged, hardened man to all of a sudden casually mention that he's gay.

It's kind of a: "See, even the toughest member of the squad can surprise you! And if you're angry at this fact, you're a misogynist, racist, sexist asshole who's intolerant."

Game publishers and corporations are desperate to draw clout away from the huge amounts of money they're generating and all their shady practices such as cosmetic/ PW2 MTx and what better tool than identity politics in games which draw everyone's ire since it's an issue anyone has an opinion about.

Fuck Blizzard anyways.

Typical corporate identity politics horseshit. It's completely meaningless and so cliché to have this rugged, hardened man to all of a sudden casually mention that he's gay.

It's kind of a: "See, even the toughest member of the squad can surprise you! And if you're angry at this fact, you're a misogynist, racist, sexist asshole who's intolerant."

Game publishers and corporations are desperate to draw clout away from the huge amounts of money they're generating and all their shady practices such as cosmetic/ PW2 MTx and what better tool than identity politics in games which draw everyone's ire since it's an issue anyone has an opinion about.

Fuck Blizzard anyways.

Or it’s just a harmless creative decision in a comic book. Either way I guess?

Wtf? Explain please? How am I a pedophile for not accepting it's at all similar to two adults consenting to sex?

Because everybody understand what's at hand, which is nothing about adults consenting but the SJW intellectual terrorism and methods to push for things like pedophilia, and "how is it similar to two adults consenting to sex" is EXACTLY the diverting excuses it started with.

klosos

Soldier is a pretty solid jack of all trade heroes. He’s good especially for the traditional FPS players

I don’t think anyone in this thread is even happy he’s gay, maybe one person expressed that.

This is mostly people unhappy he’s gay and those of us which think being bothered by it is silly.

personally i thinks its silly to be happy or unhappy that he is gay , the character as 0 personality , am sure solider 76 was looked upon as a Dudebro type character ? no

on his play style we will have to agree to disagree my friend.

Dunki

Can you provide an example of non-hetero representation in a game that that you didn’t feel was “forced?”
Last of US is a Prime example. Be it Elly or especially Bill. Bill was a side character who happened to be gay. And we did not even knew it from him but through letters and in the Car scene at the end.

PS: I still think in Last of Us 1 Elly was clearly Bi.

Last edited:

Stuart360

All this forced SJW shite into a game where the number one priority should be the character traits, abilities, and stats. Its pretty funny really if you think about it.

autoduelist

You have to be actively ignoring our culture and politics or intentionally disingenuous if you think what's happening in comics, gaming, and kids entertainment is just due to "harmless creative decisions". Then again, the best propaganda is invisible to those it's meant for, so perhaps you're just that blind.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I think the word exclude is a bit much. It isn’t saying you can’t participate because of someone’s presented sexuality. It just doesn’t match your own. It shouldn’t stop you from participating unless you choose not to.

I'd say I meant exclude as in "does not include" LGBT characters. Not that LGBT people can't play, of course, just that they're not represented.

Blam

I’m kind of confused how we ended up on the topic of pedophilia.
Well don't worry the guy who started on that topic is now banned and that should say a lot on his motive. This hasn't got a single thing to do with pedophilia.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why do we need to know sexual orientations of cartoon characters in an online shooter with no story?

All this forced SJW shite into a game where the number one priority should be the character traits, abilities, and stats. Its pretty funny really if you think about it.

It’s not in the game at all. This side comic book has no impact on the game. There is a new patch on the Overwatch PTR release yesterday as well that addresses stats, abilities, and traits, as all OW patches tend to do.

This has zero impact on the game.

It’s a side comic book

Can you provide an example of “SJW issue” represented in games that you don’t feel was “forced?”

Have you read the thread or is this just another drive by?

prag16

Banned
Does the charcter HAVE to look like you.
Does the charcter HAVE to have the same sexual preferences.
Does the charcter HAVE to have the same personality style.
Do you even need to relate to the charcter?
No. for the first three, and for the last one, I can relate to plenty of characters that are nothing like me IRL. When given a choice I almost always play as a female in games. Because why not; I'm a guy in real life, I don't need to play 'myself' in games. (And it doesn't hurt that for 3rd person games looking at a girl's butt for the duration is a little more appealing than looking at a dude's butt.)

Alexios

Because everybody understand what's at hand, which is nothing about adults consenting but the SJW intellectual terrorism and methods to push for things like pedophilia, and "how is it similar to two adults consenting to sex" is EXACTLY the diverting excuses it started with.
So you maintain I'm a pedophile because I'm okay with gays? That's your argument, really? You're the only one equating rape/seduction of minors to adult gays in this thread so you're the one furthering the goals of such people if you really want to keep equating their sick fantasies to something that is absolutely fine and should be accepted by all and is on its way to being so. Keep helping them, sure.

Last edited:

Ascend

So you’re honesty saying that if the comic had shown Soldier hooking with a chick or something confirming he’s straight, you would still be posting the same thing?
Hooking with a chick would fall under the default culture. It would not raise as many eyebrows, obviously. And in my view there is nothing wrong with that, even though some people obviously think there is.

Sexuality by itself (independent of it being cis or LGBT or whatever) does not somehow make a character superior or inferior. But in gaming culture today, LGBT characters are portrayed as normal at best, or some kind of greatness superior to heterosexuals/cis genders at worst, while in reality the lives (and often also the attitudes) of these LGBT people are anything but normal or great. It's the reason the movement exists, and it's the reason much of the LGBT community blames others for being hostile as a way to masquerade their own hostility and anger that has accumulated over the years due to their gender dysphoria.

You have to be actively ignoring our culture and politics or intentionally disingenuous if you think what's happening in comics, gaming, and kids entertainment is just due to "harmless creative decisions". Then again, the best propaganda is invisible to those it's meant for, so perhaps you're just that blind.

I’m not talking about every creative decision ever made. I’m talking about the OW comic released yesterday confirming Soldier is gay.

Nice try though! So condescending, I love it.

What about Soldier 76’s sexuality has harmed you, personally?

Last edited:

roflcaust

Neo Member

If you have to force a character's shitty love story down people's throats to provide a narrative, that means you don't have a narrative in the first place.

The characters of OW are all goofy and ridiculous anyways. What's the point of giving them lore? I don't care about the lore of my Quake character. Don't care about the lore of my TF2 characters.

And for the few weirdoes who like lore related to OW, as it's been mentioned, guarantee you majority doesn't look at those characters in a sexual manner or care for their sexual orientation at all.

It's just the concerted push within gaming companies to drive home of the point of "progressiveness" in the form of identity politics -- it's actually a push across all media and people are sick of it because it's part of the PC culture crap.

Dunki

It’s not in the game at all. This side comic book has no impact on the game. There is a new patch on the Overwatch PTR release yesterday as well that addresses stats, abilities, and traits, as all OW patches tend to do.

This has zero impact on the game.

It’s a side comic book

Can you provide an example of “SJW issue” represented in games that you don’t feel was “forced?”

Have you read the thread or is this just another drive by?
SJW issue are always forced since the warrior part stands for extremists not for normal thinking people. Warriors believe there is a war happening and that they are on the right side of history.

Blam

Why do we need to know sexual orientations of cartoon characters in an online shooter with no story?
Because appealing, and a declining playerbase is why. It just makes it worse knowing that if this was still Titan, then we would literally never get any of this stupid shit shovelled in since the WoW Playerbase would literally never push for this shit.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"

Fuck Blizzard anyways.

That you're such a crybaby about it explains exactly why we need more of this.

And here's a hint: this was likely the work of the creative team, not the top-level executives. I'm sure the execs had to sign off on it, but you'd have to go out of your way to show that some Activision or Blizzard manager thought that making Soldier 76 gay in a side story would be a brilliant distraction from loot boxes. Just writing that out shows how ludicrous the conspiracy theory is.

bigedole

I'm genuinely shocked how busy this topic has been. I'm one of the first to criticize identity politics and SJW values, but as a long time player of OW I really don't get the big deal here. There is no tokenism going on, this isn't "Hi, I'm Soldier 76 and I'm gay" like some Bioware bullshit. It's literally an anecdote to his character provided in a side story comic that the vast majority of players would never know if it wasn't explicitly told to them. This is actually diversity done right, and I know that because I can say I don't give a shit that the character Jack Thompson is gay. Just like I don't care that many many people in the real world are gay.

If he were suddenly posing flamboyantly in all of his emotes and flirting with reaper while speaking with a lisp, I'd be all on board with those criticizing this event. But as it is, I really think a lot of people in this discussion are drawing an arbitrary line in the sand that is completely unreasonable and probably a little damaging to their future credibility on these topics.

I'm genuinely shocked how busy this topic has been. I'm one of the first to criticize identity politics and SJW values, but as a long time player of OW I really don't get the big deal here. There is no tokenism going on, this isn't "Hi, I'm Soldier 76 and I'm gay" like some Bioware bullshit. It's literally an anecdote to his character provided in a side story comic that the vast majority of players would never know if it wasn't explicitly told to them. This is actually diversity done right, and I know that because I can say I don't give a shit that the character Jack Thompson is gay. Just like I don't care that many many people in the real world are gay.

If he were suddenly posing flamboyantly in all of his emotes and flirting with reaper while speaking with a lisp, I'd be all on board with those criticizing this event. But as it is, I really think a lot of people in this discussion are drawing an arbitrary line in the sand that is completely unreasonable and probably a little damaging to their future credibility on these topics.

Extremely well said.

Not saying anything about sexuality doesn’t mean a charcter is presumed straight. It means we probably never cared or even thought about it.

And if he was confirmed straight in the comic you wouldn’t have posted a damn thing about it.

Move along.

This thread has been eye opening. I’m sincerely disappointed.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I'm not catching up with this thread but:

a) It's good because Overwatch is a really popular game and I'm sure a lot of gay people play it.
b) I'm suspicious because it's a really popular game meaning nobody should be taking it as anything but fictional entertainment.
c) The idea that Overwatch has any kind of serious lore is weird to me.
d) I've never played Overwatch so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.
e) Do the above but imagine my tongue is firmly placed in my cheek whilst writing this.

Last edited:

Ascend

If it's not, why are you comparing it at all yourself then? And why equate the success of LGBT to pedophiles once again? How about pointing out their logical fallacies instead when they try to promote pedophilia rather than fall to their trap and consider it at all similar to a very sensible sexual orientation that deserves to be as free as any other if they're really trying to use it as a springboard for their ways?
Someone asked why gays should tolerate heterosexuality in media, if the opposite is not tolerated. My reply was basically that based on our biological default of sexuality being a way of reproduction, it is only logical that heterosexuality is more tolerable to the majority than the opposite. And if we are going to say that the default should accept a minority's sexuality as normal, where is the limit? Because there are even smaller minorities out there that are even more harmful, and pedophilia was used as an example.

To clarify:
If two gay people want to live their lives together, they are not harming anyone. But the imposing of "gayness" on the whole population as something 'good' can be harmful. Imposing in general is harmful, which is exactly what makes pedophilia harmful to children. But if it is also labeled as a 'normal' sexual orientation, which clearly has already started, there is nothing stopping us from reaching that next step. So, the same question remains... Where is the limit of what we should accept and shouldn't?

I don't like the implication of oppressing sane people who harm nobody but simply try to live their life free like everyone because some other people might use their successes to push their own sick agendas.
Not bombarding all media with LGBT content hardly qualifies as oppression. There is a difference between being gay, and advertising gayness.

Stuart360

And if he was confirmed straight in the comic you wouldn’t have posted a damn thing about it.

Move along.

This thread has been eye opening. I’m sincerely disappointed.
Well there is another forum that you would probably feel more at home in. This forum likes free speech from all sides and actually allows people to have differing views.:messenger_heart:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I would be highly surprised if this was ever planned. This feels like a "spur of the moment" deal that was done to assuage the angered fans because "yay diversity".

#Phonepunk#

Banned
https://kotaku.com/overwatch-fan-writes-letter-to-jeff-kaplan-about-black-1831576005

when i read something as hackneyed and PR-ready as this, it makes me wonder if this type of shit isn't just engineering from the top down. but no, i suppose there really are insane people out there who make shit like this and send it through the mail and think it is cute and not actually kind of creepy and weird:

mknirrd5iynxclvwtvri.jpg

of course the guy writes back a three page inspiring PR statement blowing smoke up his own ass. end result: still no playable black characters but at least now you know this guy really really really cares, man.

Last edited:
I would be highly surprised if this was ever planned. This feels like a "spur of the moment" deal that was done to assuage the angered fans because "yay diversity".

Who was angry? The whole Ellie Fake Gamer thing last week? I think that blew over pretty quickly?

So every diverse creation decision is just a lazy shoehorned appeasement?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Going to add to what Blam posted:

The Last of Us (not including DLC).
NieR: Gestalt/Replicant
NieR: Automata
Baldur's Gate
Final Fight/Street Fighter (Poison)
GrimGrimoire

And more to go on.

This (Overwatch) is pure pandering, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Who was angry? The whole Ellie Fake Gamer thing last week? I think that blew over pretty quickly?

So every diverse creation decision is just a lazy shoehorned appeasement?

The Ellie Situation, the BFA situation, the HotS situation, the Diablo situation, the multiple employees fired and high ranking members of Blizzard leaving.

I’m struggling because it seems like every attempt at inclusion in games is viewed as “forced.” When I ask for examples of “when it’s done right” I get crickets.

To me it feels like people literally raise their Bullshit Alarm anytime anything remotely progressive gets announced without seeking contest or truth whatsoever.

roflcaust

Neo Member
That you're such a crybaby about it explains exactly why we need more of this.

And here's a hint: this was likely the work of the creative team, not the top-level executives. I'm sure the execs had to sign off on it, but you'd have to go out of your way to show that some Activision or Blizzard manager thought that making Soldier 76 gay in a side story would be a brilliant distraction from loot boxes. Just writing that out shows how ludicrous the conspiracy theory is.

This isn't a "creative" push. This is a corporate push.

No wonder idiots buy such lame stories about characters nobody gives a shit about. If you're playing OW and you actually care about the backstories of characters, I feel nothing but pity for you.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I’m struggling because it seems like every attempt at inclusion in games is viewed as “forced.” When I ask for examples of “when it’s done right” I get crickets.

To me it feels like people literally raise their Bullshit Alarm anytime anything remotely progressive gets announced without seeking contest or truth whatsoever.

I literally gave you a list. Stop with the disingenuous bullshit.

Top Bottom