• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Beta League plagued with cheaters

I doubt they'll follow the same policy here - heavy cheating in a pvp game will easily cause the game to bleed players.

Agree. Our best case study would be how they addressed cheating in Star Craft 2, assuming it had a cheating scene. Anyone know how they policed that? Because for something like Overwatch (which will have an order of magnitude more players in the early months than SC2 has had), they'll have to dial that level of enforcement to 11.

Kudo

I've encountered some cheaters too, there's no loss to players at the moment for using them so it's free field, but it's funny seeing the aimbot do its work during the kill cam.
Hopefully Blizzard gets down on this, it's a damn shame this game already has them and it's only been 3-4 days public.

I expect a response in a day or so, not long after beta ends. Blizzard probably has their hands full with the open beta and data collection.

DryvBy

I've encountered some cheaters too, there's no loss to players at the moment for using them so it's free field, but it's funny seeing the aimbot do its work during the kill cam.
Hopefully Blizzard gets down on this, it's a damn shame this game already has them and it's only been 3-4 days public.

Same thing with me. I thought it was net lag on their end or a tickrate issue but I guess calling cheater would be legit in that case.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Agree. Our best case study would be how they addressed cheating in Star Craft 2, assuming it had a cheating scene. Anyone know how they policed that? Because for something like Overwatch (which will have an order of magnitude more players in the early months than SC2 has had), they'll have to dial that level of enforcement to 11.

What they did in SC2 was to sue the makers of maphacks.
In which they lost at least 1 if my memory serves me right, but it was still a big issue.

As for OW most of the public sites i google seems to avoid making OW cheat for this reason, they fear legal action. However its a big market with big money so you bet your ass we will see private/custom cheats and some out of US court reach sites make hacks.

Hari Seldon

If the game has extensive recording features maybe Blizzard could develop an algorithm that uses Heuristics on the replays of the games to ban cheating in a rather novel way.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's mind boggling.

Widowmaker is expected but Tracer? Fucking really?

If you can land every single shot with a Tracer then you can legit destroy people. The reason she's so hard to play is you have to blink around the map constantly while still hitting all your shots, which is incredibly hard to do.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Frustrating as hell.

One of the many reasons I wish this game had a legit server browser. Would be much easier to give ban power to individual admins than to get Blizzard to enforce user reporting.

MMaRsu

Banned
It can. Its much harder on the current gen as its still a well locked down OS, but once cracked you can run anything on them really.

Look at JTAG 360 and such.

No this cannot be done on consoles. Ps4 and Xbox One arent hacked so there is no chance of this.

I would believe current gen consoles won't have this issue at all, of course if they are ever hacked then this would be possible, but this game would be the last of your issues if that ever happens. (Basically no this won't happen on X1 or PS4; a lot of people like wording it like "it could happen" but it can't now and it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.)

I hear Blizzard is slow with these things but I remember hearing talk about how websites that were going to release aimbots information decided not to because they did not want to get on Blizzard bad side.

Valve didn't even know about or bother to fix that cheating until the last one was leaked.

It's just the norm I guess.

Who is going to fix cheating on videogames? Who knows. Someone ought to be working on this though.

Fuck cheaters.
I would believe current gen consoles won't have this issue at all, of course if they are ever hacked then this would be possible, but this game would be the last of your issues if that ever happens. (Basically no this won't happen on X1 or PS4; a lot of people like wording it like "it could happen" but it can't now and it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.)

I hear Blizzard is slow with these things but I remember hearing talk about how websites that were going to release aimbots information decided not to because they did not want to get on Blizzard bad side.
It's possible to cheat on consoles. I think most people use controller pad abuses. Probably. Or hacked last-gen consoles probably.

For PS4/XBO it's probably harder to cheat, but probably not fully impossible.

That's one benefit of a closed system though, less cheating until big exploits are found. It's much easier to write a simple script on a PC.

In Diablo, cheaters are on console but not PC. Seems to be the other way around in Overwatch but I'm not sure which way is the norm...

accx

It's still all speculation at this point though. Nothing is confirmed and throwing this out there as "truth" is just calling for a witch hunt.
I mean yea, he might be cheating? You can watch it in slow-mo to get a better view (i'm skeptical because of how OWs netcode works), but between this and all the vitriol on reddit i'm scared everyone is gonna call people cheaters at some point. I'll eat crow when it's confirmed but right now it's just a witch hunt at this point. I mean, C9 is creating a training in house setting once the games comes out and Taimou have been talking about moving to NA on his stream. It seems silly to drop everything and move to NA to work as a e-sport player if you're cheating but crazier things have happened.

What blizzard should do is come out and talk about how they're going to move forward in regards to banning players. And maybe implement even better spectator modes that wouldn't create so much speculation and false information spreading around.

Valve didn't even know about or bother to fix that cheating until the last one was leaked.

Who is going to fix cheating on videogames? Who knows. Someone ought to be working on this though.

Fuck cheaters.
It's possible to cheat on consoles. I think most people use controller pad abuses. Probably. Or hacked last-gen consoles probably.

For PS4/XBO it's probably harder to cheat, but probably not fully impossible.

That's one benefit of a closed system though, less cheating until big exploits are found. It's much easier to write a simple script on a PC.

Yea having a closed system offers some perks indeed. And for the sake of conversation I would think whenever GAF mentions consoles only the current consoles are in mind (since production of last gen consoles has stopped completely, correct?).

Last gen consoles had exploits that could get transferred to current gen consoles, but with the lack of multi-gen games coming out this will no longer be an issue it seems. So no going to GTA 6 on your PS3 and getting rich to transfer your account to your PS4; since GTA 6 would only be on current gen + PC.

I really hope Blizzard tackles this issue head on though. I would double dip for this game on PC.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No this cannot be done on consoles. Ps4 and Xbox One arent hacked so there is no chance of this.

Except it can. His point is it can't right now, however it's entirely possible in the future.

MMaRsu

Banned
Except it can. His point is it can't right now, however it's entirely possible in the future.

I think people are asking for NOW and in the near future.

This is NOT possible on consoles NOW.

IF either Xbone or Ps4 get hacked, THEN it is possible. Right NOW it is NOT.

Anything is possible in the future.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
EXCEPT in the FUTURE it can.

Which means if the console is hacked tomorrow the console community is SCREWED because Blizzard can't do anything.

See his point? You can sit there and go "YAY! NO HACKS!" but in a tiny voice add "for now!"

Bluth54

Valve knew about LMAObox and VAC did ban anyone using the free version. The premium version apparently changed signatures of the cheats every time you used it so VAC wasn't able to detect it until someone got the source code and sent it to Valve.

MMaRsu

Banned
EXCEPT in the FUTURE it can.

Which means if the console is hacked tomorrow the console community is SCREWED because Blizzard can't do anything.

See his point? You can sit there and go "YAY! NO HACKS!" but in a tiny voice add "for now!"

Sure in the future it can.

Depends on if this game's community will stick around long enough for PS4/Xbone to get hacked first.

Everything's "possible" TheSeks. But right now, and in the near future ( there are no rumblings of PS4/Xbone getting hacked atm ) it is VERY UNLIKELY.

I think people are asking for NOW and in the near future.

This is NOT possible on consoles NOW.

IF either Xbone or Ps4 get hacked, THEN it is possible. Right NOW it is NOT.

^^I think a lot of people need to focus on this. The potential of something happening is not the same as the occurred event and there is no reason to word things as if it will happen without a doubt.

MMaRsu

Banned
Well I know PS4 is hacked but it's not widely distributed quite yet but it might not wide use considering it requires older firmware.

Ehh..?

Fail0verflow hacked it so it could run Linux on an older firmware.

Anything is possible, lol. It's not going to happen in the forseeable future probably.

There isnt a JTAG situation on PS4 or Xbone at all atm.

kingslunk

Welcome to the world of FPS Blizzard. Hope you can do what many companies fail at. Otherwise your game will probably die.

Fret

do you understand how VAC works? they wait until a lot of people have used a popular hack - then do a large ban wave. saying "valve doesn't bother to fix cheating" is ridiculous.

Tecnniqe

Banned

What is it with console people and getting upset over this? I clearly said It can be done once its hacked, and its not been hacked to this degree yet.

Its possible, but not today.
Tomorrow? Who knows.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ehh..?

Fail0verflow hacked it so it could run Linux on an older firmware.

Anything is possible, lol. It's not going to happen in the forseeable future probably.

There isnt a JTAG situation on PS4 or Xbone at all atm.

Well I just noted it was hacked because I follow Wololo and recall it mostly. :p

As long as Blizzard is aggressive with cheaters I don't see this being much of a problem though and my matches seem to have been with legit (sometimes annoying) people.

hoola

Neo Member
None of the Surelock GIFs looked like hacking to me. The video posted was sketchy but wasn't really bad. I'm not 100% convinced about this guy like I am the other one.

Hasney

It wasn't that they didn't know or weren't bothered, but because LMAOBox was really well done, they couldn't ban people for using it until they got the source code. They banned the free version easily, but the premium version modified .dll files in a different way per person, so Valve couldn't be confident banning people without getting innocent people who had changed things in their .DLL's. Once they had the code and could see what it was doing, it was then easy for them to squish it.

Don't think that it's always as easy as just using it and tracing what happens. Some of these people developing hacks are smart motherfuckers.

OmegaX06

do you understand how VAC works? they wait until a lot of people have used a popular hack - then do a large ban wave. saying "valve doesn't bother to fix cheating" is ridiculous.

Material hacks worked for about 10 years in Valve games. You could easily use them to see models through walls and there is nothing VAC could do about it. They were no different then using custom models/skins.

I haven't kept up with the scene, but I think they finally solved this by introducing the workshop and most servers switched over to "pure" mode. Either way, VAC was garbage for YEARS because of this.

Fret

Not usually no, its the main reason why I have put of building a gaming PC.

This news is my perception of online PC gaming unfortunately.

if this is enough to scare you off PC gaming, thats a bit sad honestly. cheaters are nowhere near as prevalent as you may think.

I dont understand people using aimbots and cheating their way to victory. Where's the fun in that? You're doing minimal work for a realized false sense of accomplishment. Pathetic!

Hari Seldon

An Anti-aimbot-bot?

Well instead of running a process that runs in parallel to the game to detect known cheating software, a process that runs post game on the recorded replay that uses some machine learning to detect when player mouse movement is artificial.

This would be a good senior project for a CS major haha.

Mupod

Why use aimbot when you got Soldier 76 and McCree???

I was watching 'competitive' overwatch yesterday and that Taimou guy was in it. The chat was constantly calling him an aimbotter but I figured it was just a joke about how good his aim was.

They were running 2x Lucio, 2x Reinhardt and their only damage output was a pair of McCrees. Turns out when you land every headshot that's all you need.

Gotta say, aimbotting in a game that literally shows a replay of your aiming to anyone you kill (and the whole team sometimes) is maybe not the smartest thing.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I dont understand people using aimbots and cheating their way to victory. Where's the fun in that? You're doing minimal work for a realized false sense of accomplishment. Pathetic!

e-peen and money

EEZlDU1.gif

accx

Video from Surefour's channel.

Slow it down to .25 and watch the soldier kill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0V7axBnq3A

Yea you can clearly see that POTG recordings are wonky as hell. It looks like his shot lands even though he doesn't have the crosshair anywhere near. Like by a mile.
If it were hax the crosshair would've stayed on the target... Which tells me that POTG's are not always 100% correct. Someone said they're recorded in a lower frame rate or whatever. From playing and from watching peoples POTG you can clearly see that it's not always accurate and for the most comes off as buggy and jittery.

I mean, why upload a POTG from a pub match if you're cheating in tournaments? Isn't that just asking for you to be banned?
I dunno, if the tourney organizers came out and banned certain teams for having teammates cheating, i'd buy it. Or if the teams themselves started kicking out members for that reason. I do not trust people that seems to have an agenda. I've had my fair share of being called a cheater, so maybe it's hitting closer to home for me.

EDIT:
I was looking at the gif above me this morning and i agree about that one, it looks suspect... Not because of it "locking" through the wall. He already knows the other rein is there (likely through widow wall hack or just by call out from team mate). The snap is however a little too perfect. But again, it's not from source but in spectator mode so i'm still skeptical.

MMaRsu

Banned
What is it with console people and getting upset over this? I clearly said It can be done once its hacked, and its not been hacked to this degree yet.

Its possible, but not today.
Tomorrow? Who knows.

Im not upset dude.. Console folks want to know if this is a current issue on consoles or not and if its possible in the forseeable future. It's not right now, and probably not for the forseeable future.Ofcourse ANYTHING is possible lol.

I mean it's bad all around, but no reason to skip the game on consoles or anything.

And yes I hope Blizzard acts fast and bans these clowns from Battle.net.

Top Bottom