• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Competitive Play Season 2 Changes

Maybe you should edit some explanations of why they're doing the 10x points and that a player's current amount will also be multiplied. A lot of people seem bewildered for not having all the facts (even though they're in the video.)

What is up with your rank decaying if you can't pkay for a week? Hopefully, those grandmaster ranks are really high because I won't have the time when college starts. Seems easily overridable though.

The removal of sudden death/coin flip is very welcome. I've lost too many good matches because I've had to attack even though our team capped way faster than the other.
Ranked decay is to keep the upper parts of the ladder fluid, otherwise people could just get a really high rank and stop playing.

AsakuraZ

Overall the changes aren't bad. I feel like Season 1 was a good test bed for them to see what worked and what didn't work. These changes feel a lot more LoL like and for most of the changes I am fine with but curious to see how it plays out, especially with the payload time changes in the rules.

I always hated the idea that we steamrolled the team and had all the time in the world but the other team barely got it, got the coin toss and won. Things like that would make me extra salty.

I didn't really invest a lot of time in this season but I did enjoy it and enjoyed the challenge of the higher ranked games. The only things Im iffy is on not being able to play with friends depending on the ranking. I have a few friends that were at least 10 rankings below me, so I'm wondering how that will translate to the silver,gold,etc, system.

KarmaCow

I guess more granularity in skill ranks is good but man potentially dropping hundreds of ranks after a loss will be devastating. Though I'm confused, will they still be surfacing your actual rank now that they have the tiers?

ekim

What are skill rating tiers?

Edit: do we have a date for season 2? And S1 ends this Thursday, correct?

Symphonic

So for example:
1-1000 is bronze
1001-1750 is silver

Etc?

Kap said 500 for each rank.

Only thing I'm worried about is limiting the grouping to 500 rank difference. I think all my friends are relatively in the same area of skill, but that's pretty close with a 5k system.

xealo

I guess more granularity in skill ranks is good but man potentially dropping hundreds of ranks after a loss will be devastating. Though I'm confused, will they still be surfacing your actual rank now that they have the tiers?
Id be surprised if they haven't done changes to how much a loss takes from you when increasing the amount of ranks by 50x, respectively for if you win.

IKizzLE

So atleast 60 was top 6%....yea, masteroverwatch and overbuff has no where near the right amount of players logged in.

I'm guessing 65 and above was top 1%..hence the 300 CP payout.

LiK

7 days is pretty generous in preventing decay in rank. You could just play once a week after you reach top tier so no biggie.

KarmaCow

Id be surprised if they haven't done changes to how much a loss takes from you when increasing the amount of ranks by 50x, respectively for if you win.

I'm exaggerating with hundred+ rank loss since that would be multiple levels in the current system but still seeing whole numbers instead fractional amounts is a big change.

dity

The rank tiers are awesome. Like, now there's something to work toward other than gold weapons. When you finally reach the next tier it'll feel so cool.

Gaz_RB

The number ranks are also separated by tiers, so it should actually be easier to tell how good someone is.

That's true. I guess the biggest change for me will be matching up my idea of a level 60 player's skill with whatever the equivalent is in the new system.

Melchior

Great changes looking forward to season 2. Maybe they can bump down the frequency of Volskaya being picked
or just remove it from the game

ekim

You also don't drop tiers unless it's the two highest.

So once you reach silver, even if you drop in a lot points you wont be downgraded to bronze.

So I can be Gold but on rank 1? But the matchmaking only goes by the rank number I guess?!

Heel

So there's no change at all? What's the point of this?

That's what I'm wondering. Genuinely confusing

Wait... Why? It'll still take as many wins and as long to get the weapon but just more points? Do they really need to inflate numbers like in WoW? Wait till Season 5 where you need a billion points for a gold wep but don't worry, you still get 1 million per win.

In the video, he says there are "for reasons they'll explain soon" as to why they're multiplying everything by 10, including the points you've already earned.

https://youtu.be/Nqh8tnHhIjg?t=5m18s

So, there is a reason. Curious what it'll be.

Interfectum

In the video, he says there are "for reasons they'll explain soon" as to why they're multiplying everything by 10, including the points you've already earned.

I think they are leaving themselves the option to award everyone who stays the entire game 1-2 points. People who assume they are going to lose might be inclined to stay through the entire match if they know they'll still get some points.

Though that could introduce an AFKer problem.

Can someone edit the OP to say:

• Sudden death is gone, matches can end in ties now (will be much more rare with expanded time bank system)
  • Ties will award each team 5 (unconfirmed, but probably 5) Competitive points. (this is the reason for the x10 point system change)

Heel

One of the reasons they mentioned is due to the possibility of ties. They want to give some points to both teams in case of a tie.

I think they are leaving themselves the option to award everyone who stays the entire game 1-2 points. People who assume they are going to lose might be inclined to stay through the entire match if they know they'll still get some points.

Though that could introduce an AFKer problem.

Hmm, makes sense.

EDIT: Whoops, yeah, he does go on to say they will give teams "some competitive points" in the rare case of a tie. I must've glazed over it on the first listen.

https://youtu.be/Nqh8tnHhIjg?t=10m

There is nothing more annoying than playing a good competitive game, and then someone on your team leaves. They either need raise the penalty for leaving after one time or so significantly, or not punish you for losing if your teammate leaves.

KarmaCow

He says it in the video later on. Not sure why he decided to split up the info like that but he just seems to be talking with a couple points he wants to hit on rather than anything fully prepared.

Just excellent and well thought out changes all around. Good timing too before the onslaught of MP games hit this fall. I know this is going to motivate me to stick with the game.

I love the game but the old system just felt punishing/grueling. This is much more pleasant.

AaronMT86

I guess I'm a little disappointed that he didn't talk about leavers just yet, maybe they'll be in the release notes though.

styl3s

Nothing about the leaver penalties? Cuz people still leave and it's annoying.
I thought there were already penalties for leaving in competitive including a full season ban if you leave too many games?

No point in putting any real penalties in casual mode because it's casual mode.

The reason for making the 10x for cost/rewards is so they have room to differentiate.

Since ties are going to be a thing now, they need a value between 1 and 0 to award that appropriately.

bender

What time is it?
Huzzah to the coin flip going away.

I thought there were already penalties for leaving in competitive including a full season ban if you leave too many games?

No point in putting any real penalties in casual mode because it's casual mode.

Whatever the penalties are, it doesn't appear to discourage the behavior. I'm still seeing quitters in about 20% of the ranked matches I'm in.

Top Bottom