• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch gets Summer Games update (new mode in Weekly Brawl, new skins/etc)

Mod Abuse:

https://playoverwatch.com/en-gb/blog/20216482

OW8V59P4O8P21469757548775.jpg

Crack your knuckles, stretch those hamstrings, and turn up the volume—the Summer Games have begun.

For the next three weeks, we're celebrating the spirit of competition in true Overwatch fashion. Earn special seasonal Loot Boxes, collect over 100 new cosmetic items, and hit the field with your friends in our latest brawl: Lúcioball!

GO FOR THE GOLD
Starting today (and for the duration of the event), any new Loot Boxes you earn or purchase will be sporting an updated look, but the packaging isn’t the only thing that’s changed!

Inside, players will have a chance to find a variety of new cosmetic items commemorating the Summer Games—including themed sprays, emotes, victory poses, highlight intros, player icons, and some very special skins. Though they can't be purchased with credits, each seasonal Loot Box you receive is guaranteed to contain at least one item from our Summer Games 2016 collection.

SummerGames2016-Skins-Animated_OW_JP_700x394.gif

While any Summer Games item you unlock will be yours forever, the collection will be heading back into the vault on August 22 when the event concludes. So, if you’ve got your eye on something specific, there's no time to lose!

PITCH PERFECT
Our Summer Games event wouldn't be complete without a display of athletic expertise, which is why we're unveiling a brand new brawl: Lúcioball! This futuristic spin on soccer places you in a fast-paced, 3v3 match featuring everyone's favorite beat-dropping Brazilian.

Teams will face-off in the beautiful Estádio das Rãs, located in the heart of Rio de Janeiro. Equipped with jump pads and speed-boosting walls, this unique arena amplifies Lúcio's abilities, allowing players to punch, glide, block, bounce, and boop and their way to victory.

Each game of Lúcioball lasts four minutes, and the team that scores the most goals in that time...wins!

SummerGames2016-LucioBall-Ulti-Animated_OW_JP_350x350.gifSummerGames2016-LucioBall-WallRide-Animated_OW_JP_350x350.gifSummerGames2016-LucioBall-JumpPad-Animated_OW_JP_350x350.gifSummerGames2016-LucioBall-AltFire-Animated_OW_JP_350x350.gif

Speaking of abilities…understanding how Lúcio interacts with the ball is the key to mastering Lúcioball. For this brawl, his primary fire has been replaced with a melee attack, allowing Lúcio to punch the ball—perfect for dribbling, passing, and shooting from short range. When you need to launch the ball across the map, Lúcio’s alternate fire emits a blast of sound that gets the job done nicely.

Unlike other game modes, the speed boost from Lúcio’s Crossfade only affects himself in Lúcioball (Amp It Up will still increase that boost, as normal), and his ultimate ability, Sound Barrier, now pulls the ball toward him from anywhere on the field.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN
This is our very first seasonal event in Overwatch, but there are more on the horizon. We're not quite ready to reveal our plans, but you can expect to see more festive Loot Box items, maps, and modes in the future. So, keep your eyes trained on playoverwatch.com for more information, and don't forget to follow our Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube channels for all the latest updates.

----

*Edit* seems a decent chance that only Lucio Zarya and Tracer get new skins and the rest are sprays.

A twitch streamer got her hands on what appears to be some new skins coming to Overwatch.

Co1LOSRWgAAncs1.jpg

Weightlifting Zarya
Track and Field Tracer
and some kind of sport Lucio
Also looks like a potential new map (with a new game mode?)

Noteworthy:
Golf 76
Speedo Roadhog
No coat Mei
Basketball Pharah
Singlet Reinhardt

So what do you think? Pretty hit and miss for me personally. Also worth noting they the developers have said that we will be getting new Legendary and epic skins this summer. So while this is likely the first batch. I'd expect some more within a month or two if you don't care for these.

*Edit 2* definitely looks like a new map + game mode:
Co1LtmAW8AQiqq7.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Boxing Bastion! It's alliterative, too!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Will Roadhog have a skin where he is covered in toxic sludge after getting the gold in a swimming event?

Chances of these being merely Sprays is pretty high if you ask me. They set has a uniform art style with a sticker-like aesthetic, and a common theme to tie 'em together. That's how Overwatch does its sprays. They don't look very usable as reference art for skins either, due to their dynamic poses.

We'll see I guess.

*edit*
I just saw the other picture with the renders. Anything I said before can be disregarded. Not having images load automatically on mobile has its downsides.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Track and Field Tracer might somehow get me to hop back into this game.

I didn't think I was a guy that would ever lay claim to a "waifu..." It's sick. Disgusting. Pathetic.

... but... Tracer...

Wonder how they'll handle new skins like this.

Will it be in the main loot box rolls, or will there be unique Olympic boxes for the event?

Track and Field Tracer might somehow get me to hop back into this game.

I didn't think I was a guy that would ever lay claim to a "waifu..." It's sick. Disgusting. Pathetic.

... but... Tracer...

If the game ever hits a lull all they need to do is release a swimsuit outfit for every character. They will come back in droves.

As long as they are available and not exclusive to the event. then great I guess. I wonder what Ana gets though.....Skeet shooting?

ramyeon

Chances of these being merely Sprays is pretty high if you ask me. They set has a uniform art style with a sticker-like aesthetic, and a common theme to tie 'em together. That's how Overwatch does its sprays. They don't look very usable as reference art for skins either, due to their dynamic poses.

We'll see I guess.
I'm leaning towards this too, although the Zarya, Tracer and Lucio ones look like they may skins. The others, shown on the sticker sheet, especially those that rely on props (Like McCree's) seem like they just wouldn't work great as skins.

I hope I'm wrong because I do actually want that no coat Mei.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gonna be real disappointed if these are the only skins they drop when they finally drop new skins.

Rize_21

Curious to see how will turn Mei's 3d model with this skin, especially without the size 14 boots she currently has.

ramyeon

I noticed OP didn't have clear pics of the skins.

tumblr_ob9oxqV7df1qzh2aio1_540.jpg

tumblr_ob9oxqV7df1qzh2aio2_540.jpg
Pretty convinced these aren't skins now.

Pharah looks exactly the same, as does McCree. These will be sprays. Maybe some will have skins (I'd expect the ones on the cards with 3D renders - Lucio, Tracer and Zarya) but not all of them.

Pretty convinced these aren't skins now.

Pharah looks exactly the same, as does McCree. These will be sprays. Maybe some will have skins (I'd expect the ones on the cards with 3D renders - Lucio, Tracer and Zarya) but not all of them.

Just you wait, you'll see Pharah with her new NBA skin, shooting explosive basketballs.

These will look really out of place if they are used casually outside of the potential Olympics map/mode. That being said, I want Golfer 76.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
They wouldn't be skins, the hitboxes would be messed up for characters like Reinhardt or Winston. Probably just sprays, unfortunately.

Blu(e)

They wouldn't be skins, the hitboxes would be messed up for characters like Reinhardt or Winston. Probably just sprays, unfortunately.

The other skins in the game already retain the hitboxes of the default skin. Shouldn't be any different.

Top Bottom