• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch gets Summer Games update (new mode in Weekly Brawl, new skins/etc)

So far I've gotten Track and Field Tracer, Nihon Genji, AmeriCree, and French Widow. Hoping I at least get D.Va and other Tracer before it ends.

Fuck this event man. I still don't have even one of he 3 skins I want! I have literally all the skins I don't want after 30 summer loot boxes.

Cormano

Started playing yesterday, that football mode is so much fun, how exactly do you get loot crates? By ranking up or buying them or they drop randomly?

Auctopus

Was thinking about this whilst playing today...

How would people feel about characters having "loyalty points" in search of a better term. You earn them each time you play the majority of a match with that character and they can be only used to buy items for that character. However, these items could include Seasonal Events too.

It would mean Blizzard gets to keep their partially scummy method but players are also able to get the skin they want for their character.

Yes I'm aware an easier solution would to be to just let players buy what they want but that doesn't look like it's happening.

IvanJ

Banned
Started playing yesterday, that football mode is so much fun, how exactly do you get loot crates? By ranking up or buying them or they drop randomly?
Each level-up, one box, no random drops.
Of course, you can pay real cash, but I don't see the point in that.

meshwork

How would people feel about characters having "loyalty points" in search of a better term. You earn them each time you play the majority of a match with that character and they can be only used to buy items for that character. However, these items could include Seasonal Events too.

Incentivizing people to not switch off a hero that's getting countered is a bad idea. I believe during the development of Overwatch they had a progression system that unlocked skins for heroes based on you playing them. What ended up happening was that people didn't switch heroes even when they acknowledged that it would be a good idea. "I would switch but I'm so close to my next item!" is something no one wants to hear in this game.

Squire

Banned
Incentivizing people to not switch off a hero that's getting countered is a bad idea. I believe during the development of Overwatch they had a progression system that unlocked skins for heroes based on you playing them. What ended up happening was that people didn't switch heroes even when they acknowledged that it would be a good idea. "I would switch but I'm so close to my next item!" is something no one wants to hear in this game.

Yeah, it's completely antithetical to the design of the game. Stacking is too, but we just have to take that on the nose since they want to keep the game fun for casuals.

Also, I just don't think it'd be healthy to keep adding forms of progression/currency. We have credits and competitive points. That's enough.

Permanently A

It would mean Blizzard gets to keep their partially scummy method but players are also able to get the skin they want for their character.

Yes I'm aware an easier solution would to be to just let players buy what they want but that doesn't look like it's happening.

that's a horrible idea to be frank. You're going to have situations where someone keeps playing pharah while the enemy team has 76 and McCree just because they need to grind loyalty points. nothing cosmetic should ever interfere with actual gameplay.

When this event started I was Level 87. I'm now Level 124. In that time, I've received America McCree, both of Lucio's skins, Torb's skin (I hate Torb), and Tricolore Widowmaker. Even mixing in some victory poses and highlight intros, everything else has been mostly player icons, sprays, and tons of dupes. I even already got dupes for McCree's skin and some others. To be honest, I consider myself to be lucky enough to get this much. I would love to get Genji, Zarya, and Mercy's skins (those being my most wanted when this started) and there's still time for me to but if I don't I won't be too down.

The game still won't give me the reaper spray. I just bought a lot of loot boxes and still didn't get it. The game has no problem giving me multiple boxes where all 4 things are duplicates though. I'm disgusted by myself and the game

ramyeon

I have all the skins and most of the sprays/voice lines but I cannot for the life of me get Junkrat or Tracer's highlight intros. Or most of the flag player icons.

Tovarisc

39 boxes later I have one skin out of three that I want from Summer Games, not sure I want to grind more boxes during event. Starts to suck fun out of game when you have that feel that you need grind "one more box" in desperate attempt to get skin(s) you want.

Yeah, cosmetics matter to me!

39 boxes later I have one skin out of three that I want from Summer Games, not sure I want to grind more boxes during event. Starts to suck fun out of game when you have that feel that you need grind "one more box" in desperate attempt to get skin(s) you want.

Yeah, cosmetics matter to me!

I am feeling this way too. I went from Rank 52 to Rank 81 since this thing started and I am getting a bit jaded now. I still like the game but I think I am playing a bit too much each sitting in an effort to level up a tiny bit more.

I desperately want to hit level 100 so I can get the big influx of boxes that comes from the lower XP needed to go from 101 to 120. I font care if there is nothing in these 20 boxes, I just want the chance to get the last few items I am missing.

LiK

I am feeling this way too. I went from Rank 52 to Rank 81 since this thing started and I am getting a bit jaded now. I still like the game but I think I am playing a bit too much each sitting in an effort to level up a tiny bit more.

I desperately want to hit level 100 so I can get the big influx of boxes that comes from the lower XP needed to go from 101 to 120. I font care if there is nothing in these 20 boxes, I just want the chance to get the last few items I am missing.

The Rank 81? Wanna play Comp with me

bender

What time is it?
Had a horrible weekend of drops but I got lucky with the Bastion Boxer emote and Soldier 76 Golfer victory pose last night. I still really want the Genji skin, Lucio Striker skin and Juggle emote.

The Rank 81? Wanna play Comp with me

No, I misspoke. Sorry! I have not touched competitive in a while. I am Rank 51 there. I meant to group up with you a bunch of times since around launch when I added you on PSN but due to timezone I think we end up online at different times.

LiK

No, I misspoke. Sorry! I have not touched competitive in a while. I am Rank 51 there. I meant to group up with you a bunch of times since around launch when I added you on PSN but due to timezone I think we end up online at different times.

It's been so log I honestly forgot what your PSN is. I did another purge recently for people I haven't played with so not sure if you were part of it.

Got weightlifting Zarya last night which is what I really wanted, I'd of liked to get tracer but I'm happy enough with this. They better never do this type of limited time non purchase event again.

Got the junkrat tennis spray like 4 times too-_-

My good Summer stuff is currently at Red Zarya, Swedish Torbjorn and Hurdles Intro for Tracer. They gave me the fuckin hockey skin for Lucio.

I think legendary drop rate must have been a bit increased for this event. I got 4 or 5 across 20 loot boxes.

I'm giving up on my hunt for the reaper spray, I just won't have him complete anymore. I've opened well over 100 boxes now, from leveling and purchasing. Most of my boxes now are just all 4 duplicates

This thread is so depressing. I'll be lucky to grind out 7 more boxes or so before the event ends. I've gotten one summer skin and a bunch of crappy sprays. Fuck loot boxes.

When you account for how many items there are in the game overall, the amount of duplicates is insane.
I'm at the point where 9/10 times I get at least one duplicate per loot box, yet I probably have about 15% of the items.

Kysen

£80 down the drain and no Mercy skin. Have everything else, I feel like a sucker. The last 5 boxes have been 100% dupes.

Walpurgis

Banned
lmao, same here. Literally the last skin from this I wanted. I'd even prefer some of the emotes/highlights than that lol.
It's the only skin that I want! Torbjorn and Zarya are the heroes with thr worst skins in this game. Their Olympic skins make it so they at least have one good skin.

I was able to get most of what I wanted like American McCree and Champion Zarya got a few other skins like the widowmaker and genji but I don't play those chars so probably will never use them. What I wanted most was Selecao Lucio and I am losing hope. I have 5k gold to spend Blizzard please let me buy it.

th4tguy

46 boxes and I still can't get Mercy skin on my wife's account. Got it with my 2nd box on mine but I never play Mercy. She only plays Mercy. It's like you have less chance getting drops for your primary characters.

Owzers

46 boxes and I still can't get Mercy skin on my wife's account. Got it with my 2nd box on mine but I never play Mercy. She only plays Mercy. It's like you have less chance getting drops for your primary characters.
4 Zarya skins, never play her. Zero Lucio who is my most played. Conspiracy!

Though I did want Zarya the most so maybe blizzard knew that.

MUnited83

For you.
It's the only skin that I want! Torbjorn and Zarya are the heroes with thr worst skins in this game. Their Olympic skins make it so they at least have one good skin.

It's a good skin in itself but I Torbjorn is like my least played character lol

The things I want the most:

Symmetra's emote
Weighlifting Zarya
Selecção Lucio
Lucio Emote
Nihon Genji
Junkrat Intro

Mr. Robot

Got all 3 summer legendaries in ~40 level ups. Would trade all and then some for the Symmmetra emote.
It's a good skin in itself but I Torbjorn is like my least played character lol
The things I want the most:
Symmetra's emote
Weighlifting Zarya
Selecção Lucio
Lucio Emote
Nihon Genji
Junkrat Intro

Funny how that works, i want a Tracer skin, but have only got the Symmetra and Lucio emotes, sprays and icons.

Blew $20 on loot boxes and only skins I got was Tracer Summer Games (both version) and Genji Summer Games. I don't play either of them.

Everything else was crap and now I'm getting duplicates of crap :(

Feelsbadman.jpg

Gurrry

I feel like ive gotten pretty lucky. Got the Tracer, Lucio and Mcree skins.

I really need to grind out some more, but since competitive is down for the next week or so, im not really sure I wanna go play QP.

LiK

I feel like ive gotten pretty lucky. Got the Tracer, Lucio and Mcree skins.

I really need to grind out some more, but since competitive is down for the next week or so, im not really sure I wanna go play QP.

Comp is down for 2-3 weeks.

Top Bottom