• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch gets Summer Games update (new mode in Weekly Brawl, new skins/etc)

Yukinari

I have every skin, taunt, highlight intro, spray and voiceline.

Missing one victory pose and some icons.

Might spend another 5 bucks just to see if i get the rest.

ramyeon

I don't think so. I wouldn't think it would at least, since these are Olympics themed.
No they're not. It's the Overwatch Summer Games. They've stated, and it's even been said several times on the last page, that this is an annual event for OW and will return next year (With additional stuff in all likelihood).

Ughhhhhh really want the Genji skin, but I really don't want to gamble on a game I purchased to play. Do we have any other indication of the exact time the event ends other than the PlayStation Store?

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Got the Genji skin goddamn 7 times, and then two of the same Lucio skin. That's my haul for the event. All I actually wanted was Sprinter Tracer, Shotput Junkrat, and America McCree, got none of these things.

duckroll

Got the Genji skin goddamn 7 times, and then two of the same Lucio skin. That's my haul for the event. All I actually wanted was Sprinter Tracer, Shotput Junkrat, and America McCree, got none of these things.

I got a dupe American Mccree. Will trade for Japan Genji. Oh wait... :(

Got

Swiss Mercy, White Football Lucio skin, Lucios football emote, Both of Tracers skins, oh and Safari Winston; even though that skin has nothing to do with the olyimpics.

Wanted the Torb Swedish skin and the yellow lucio football skin but meh

Blizzard

Banned
Out of maybe 15-20 boxes (perhaps I'm underestimating?) I got a Zarya skin (really wanted), Widow skin (pretty bad), and some minor stuff.

I would have liked the Symmetra dance or at least one other skin, but I suppose it was not to be.
Correction: I also got Swiss Mercy and forgot.

MattyG

Banned
No they're not. It's the Overwatch Summer Games. They've stated, and it's even been said several times on the last page, that this is an annual event for OW and will return next year (With additional stuff in all likelihood).
Yeah, but haven't they branded some things based on Rio? Or are they just using the Olympics as a real world parallel to their own summer games?

I was under the impression that while the summer games were an annual thing, there would be different themes each year.

ramyeon

Yeah, but haven't they branded some things based on Rio? Or are they just using the Olympics as a real world parallel to their own summer games?

I was under the impression that while the summer games were an annual thing, there would be different themes each year.
There is nothing branded or sponsored by the real Olympics or Rio.

They don't even mention the Olympics at all.

duckroll

The only thing that is Rio "branded" is Lucioball. When they do the Summer Games next year, I expect them to be more prepared, so either it is a totally different brawl minigame, or by then they will have come up with more than on brawl minigame which they can actually rotate during the Summer Games, either weekly or maybe even daily? Who knows.

MattyG

Banned
There is nothing branded or sponsored by the real Olympics or Rio.

They don't even mention the Olympics at all.
Huh. Well then I guess I just drew a strong mental connection between the two because everything had a similar look to the Rio branding and the timing.

ramyeon

Huh. Well then I guess I just drew a strong mental connection between the two because everything had a similar look to the Rio branding and the timing.
The only thing I can think of is Lucio's skin and the Lucioball level but that's because Lucio is Brazilian.

Bittercup

I got the red event skin for Zarya and the highlight videos for Lucio and Junkrat.
Besides that only player icons and sprays. Lots of them. And a few vanilla skins.
Not really much luck (or fun) with those lootboxes for me.
At least I got Pharah's Mechaqueen skin in one of the boxes.

gurudyne

Swiss Mercy, White Football Lucio skin, Lucios football emote, Both of Tracers skins, oh and Safari Winston; even though that skin has nothing to do with the olyimpics.

Swiss Mercy, Americree, Swedbjorn, GeNipponji, and Young Hanzo (Orange). That last one was such BS--saw a legendary about to drop and instead of one of the Zarya skins, got a normal game skin. That one sucked more than the crates where the only rare items were dupes or coins.

On the bright side, got everything I really wanted. Only things I feel I missed out on are Symmetra's emote and Widow's skin.

darklin0

Banned
Swiss Mercy, Americree, Swedbjorn, GeNipponji, and Young Hanzo (Orange). That last one was such BS--saw a legendary about to drop and instead of one of the Zarya skins, got a normal game skin. That one sucked more than the crates where the only rare items were dupes or coins.

On the bright side, got everything I really wanted. Only things I feel I missed out on are Symmetra's emote and Widow's skin.

I got 2 orange in a box. 1 was 500 coins and another was a dupe Rein skin...

I cried myself to sleep.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I got a dupe American Mccree. Will trade for Japan Genji. Oh wait... :(

Would do this in a heartbeat... if only we could have nice things like this :c

It really just sours the event to have an outcome like this really. I'm not gonna get broken up that I didn't get a particular costume but this "fun event for the players" that is otherwise indiscernible from regular gameplay sure does get overshadowed by drowning in repeat skins and player icons.

...Seriously, fuck player icons, you can't even buy the damn things normally, we seriously gotta be able to get repeats of them too?

Managed to get everything except Mercy's spray and 2 of the flag icons......don't really care about the Flag Icons, I just really want that spray.

Can't justify blowing another 10+ dollars just for the slim ass chance of those 3 items. Guess I'll be waiting till next year

Blizzard

Banned
...Seriously, fuck player icons, you can't even buy the damn things normally, we seriously gotta be able to get repeats of them too?
This is a silly thing, and dupes in summer crates is a silly thing, and not being able to change character voice lines in a match is a silly thing. There are a million of them, and most of them are useless because you have to ditch the server you were on before switching.

duckroll

This is a silly thing, and dupes in summer crates is a silly thing, and not being able to change character voice lines in a match is a silly thing. There are a million of them, and most of them are useless because you have to ditch the server you were on before switching.

I feel that we really need a queue/playlist system for voice lines and emotes. Intro Highlights already have a "Random" option, so it's not like the system doesn't support anything like that. Having a single voice line require to be equipped and locked in is really stupid!

Got 5 out of the 6 legendaries and a ton of other stuff. Only things I wanted I missed were 76 golf pose and Symetra emote. If it's an annual event I hope more stuff is added next year.

dity

I feel that we really need a queue/playlist system for voice lines and emotes. Intro Highlights already have a "Random" option, so it's not like the system doesn't support anything like that. Having a single voice line require to be equipped and locked in is really stupid!

But voice lines are all about spamming "I could do this all day!" in Lucioball!

Blizzard

Banned
I forgot another silly thing, no custom voice lines in POTG. You can emote or spray the ground to show off if you're lucky enough to get POTG, yet your cool timing on a voice line doesn't play at all.

Yukinari

But voice lines are all about spamming "I could do this all day!" in Lucioball!

The summer voice lines in particular are so hilarious to spam in specific situations.

"I will feast on their souls"
"...."
"Its in the refridgerator"

Or the one i use the most as Reinhardt.

"ONE HUNDRED PERCENT-understood"

Man this loot system is so evil lol. My brother got desperate and spent $20 on loot boxes and still didn't get the genji skin hes been after. I haven't spent anything on loot boxes and have gotten 3 American McCree skins and nothing else.

Acidote

I've opened 31 boxes leveling and not even one summer skin has dropped. I'll have more luck next year I guess. I've got plenty of player icons though.

jediyoshi

Shiet, you can only purchase from your account balance if it covers the total amount. Sucks for putting in $20 and wanting to buy the $20 pack because of tax. Of 16 bought loot boxes, got widow/lucio skins and the bastion/sym emotes. Got the tracer skin normally, just looking for zaryaaaa

duckroll

If I don't get the Genji skin by tonight. I'm just going to tell myself that it's okay because the stupid character is getting nerfed anyway and I'm not great with him to begin with, so WHATEVER IT'S NO LOSS.... right? Right?!

I think I ended up getting every skin except one of the Lucio variants. Lucky, I guess. Still agree with people that not being able to use coins is... eh.

JBwB

I never did quite manage to get that GBR Tracer skin despite opening over 50 boxes (all of which were gained through leveling up!!)

Still, I managed to get a bunch of the other hero summer skins and a crapton of currency. I'd say the Genji skin is the highlight item I've received out of all of this. It looks so badass haha.

Maybe next year Tracer :(

Water

Ended up dropping 20 euros on the loot boxes, but hey, I got the cheapest version of the game so I've only paid the same total as for Origins Edition where I wouldn't have used anything except the Bastion skin.
Of the summer stuff, I wanted the D.va, Mercy, Zarya and Tracer skins in that order, Symmetra emote, Junkrat highlight intro, and got all of those. Just the white Zarya and orange Tracer though, they're nice but would have preferred red Zarya & sprinter Tracer. Also got Genji & McCree & Lucio skins but don't care about those. Opening the lootboxes also gave me a non-summer legendary Junkrat skin.

Banzai

I have:
Skins:
Mercy
Lucio (blue and yellow)
Tracer (orange)
Genji

Emotes:
Lucio
Symmetra

Victory Poses:
Zenyatta
Mei
Soldier 76
Winston
Widowmaker

Could have been a lot worse. Just too bad I didn't get Zaryas skins. Or any of the Highlight Intros.

Yukinari

The one positive to having over 8k credits right now is that ill be able to get pretty much all the new taunts/skin in the season 2 update.

darklin0

Banned
If I don't get the Genji skin by tonight. I'm just going to tell myself that it's okay because the stupid character is getting nerfed anyway and I'm not great with him to begin with, so WHATEVER IT'S NO LOSS.... right? Right?!

But that red scarf doe. D:

SugarDave

I really want the Swiss Mercy, hopefully I have enough time today to maybe get one or two more boxes.

I even bought some ffs. Don't do it if you're ever tempted, guys!

Ghazi

I really want the USA McCree skin, my luck hasn't been too fantastic thus far. I've gotten multiple duplicates of weightlifting Zarya.

Top Bottom