• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch gets Summer Games update (new mode in Weekly Brawl, new skins/etc)

I can't believe that I still haven't gotten anything I want after 60 level ups. 60 loot boxes and and not even one item I wanted. They want me to spend money so bad lol...

duckroll

Fuck it, I'm not going to get myself bothered by missing skins anymore. I bought another 11 boxes last night and that turned out to be a terrible mistake. I'm fucking DONE until Halloween. Gambling just to get the one Genji skin that looks great when I don't even play Genji well is stupid. All my friends who play Genji already have it anyway so I can just watch them use it instead.

Final haul:
Skins: Both Tracers, both Zaryas, white Lucio Striker, Dva Korea, McCree America
Emotes: Lucio, Symmetra
Highlight Intros: Junkrat, Lucio
Winning Poses: A bunch of medal ones I can't remember, Soldier's Golf one
Voice Lines: Can't remember than all but I got the Reaper, Lucio, and I think Soldier ones at least
Sprays: More than I can remember
Player Icons: Even more than I can remember

K.Sabot

I wanted American Mcree and any of the Tracer skins, got them. Also Nihon Genji would have been cool, but it was not to be.

antitrop

Finally got the PS4 Trophy for 50 unlocks on a single character tonight. Happened to be Soldier: 76. Took 280 hours of play and $40 in microtransactions. :p

I could have gotten it sooner, but I was spending credits on stuff I actually wanted.

duckroll

Prepare your wallets:

nOAuI8h.jpg

JBwB

Okay so I just caved and bought some loot boxes.

I only bought 5 boxes so I didn't expect to get anything special... Imagine my surprise when I opened my 3rd box:

Thank you RNG gods! I finally got the skin I wanted!

I literally almost punched my monitor out of joy haha.

Blizzard

Banned
"Eh, I'll try to see if I can earn one last loot box before this event is over," I told myself this evening. "Who knows, maybe it'll be something."

And then, it appeared: D.Va's alt. The only remaining thing I really wanted to get. I got my red-outfitted Zarya (from my free box). I got my Symmetra emote. I got the coveted GRB Tracer alt. I got the beautiful Swiss alt for my beloved Mercy. I got American McCree and Japanese Genji and BMX Reaper spray (I'll never play them, but cool to have). And now, I got my D.Va in my final box.

I won gold in these Summer Games. The RNGoddess looked down upon me, smiled, and blessed me.
I tried this. My final crate was white white blue white, with a summer voice line for Torbjorn. A fitting end. ;_;

Prepare your wallets:

nOAuI8h.jpg
Don't worry, they'll let us use coins, right? Or get rid of the legendary coins and duplicate items in the event crates?

Ivellios

I did not buy any crates, but i got from level 90 to 130 i think, so i got the less xp needed from 101 to 125 and i pretty much got the only skin that i really wanted, Lucio Seleção, but aside from this one i got plenty of other nice skins too

Russian Zarya
Japan Gengi (this was on one of my last couple crates before the end of the event, luck me)
Swiss Mercy
Korean Dva
And some summer victory poses, highlight intros, portrait and sprays i dont remember.

I think i got luck in end

Is there any inventory trading in other Blizzard games? Because for me, at least in TF2 if you get dupes you can always trade them away for something else.

ZeroX03

Banned
Blizzard's never seeing a dime from me if they don't let coins be used for Halloween items.

Really though they earned way too much on loot boxes from this event, the limited model is here to stay. Thankfully as a first person game I don't see customs enough to care.

Blizzard's never seeing a dime from me if they don't let coins be used for Halloween items.

Really though they earned way too much on loot boxes from this event, the limited model is here to stay. Thankfully as a first person game I don't see customs enough to care.

All I know is that they won't see another dime from me until *something* changes about the way these loot boxes work. It just feels super unfair.

duckroll

All I know is they will never see a dime from me again until they release another bunch of items I really want for characters I play!

I am weak.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
got anything i would of wanted from the first batch of boxes i bought junk rats play of the game intro, genji nihon, diva taegeukgi, torbjorn the kronor, tracer sprinter and zaryas weightlifter and champion skins

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I got the Rescue Mei outfit last night, which is pretty adorable.

For the summer event, I got the Tracer skin and American McCree. Spent no money.

Firebrand

I had to stop buying boxes. It's okay, it's just a silly skin.

*every Torbjörn I see is wearing the Tre Kronor skin*

QxDyBbX.jpg

On the upside, I got used to playing this at 683x384 at 30 FPS so trying it on my rig back home is going to be awesome. And then I'll get bored of the game again.

Also on my last purchased box I got the Abominable skin for Mei who I didn't have any non-commons for, so that's something I suppose.

I got what I wanted from this event, which was the Genji, Mercy and McCree skins, and some new voice lines — like Reaper's "It's in the refrigerator" and Genji's "I was hoping for a challenge."

Kinda wanted Symmetra's emote, D.Va's skin, and Roadhog's diving spray, but whatever.

(I got a bunch of other junk too, but it's uninteresting to me and I will probably never use it.)

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I got what I wanted from this event, which was the Genji, Mercy and McCree skins, and some new voice lines — like Reaper's "It's in the refrigerator" and Genji's "I was hoping for a challenge."

Last night I was playing Winston and used the line "Did someone say peanut butter?". My friend was Reaper and responded "Its in the refrigerator". lol

maouvin

Only got boxes by leveling up (around 15 of them), and most of them were white white blue white aw yisss.
Got JP Genji, SK DVa, Sym emote, a whole bunch of sprays, a victory pose for someone and a few icons (heads up for BMX Reaper icon). And legendary money ofc.
Just one dupe at least.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Opened 50 (45 farmed, 5 bought) and didn't get either of the items I wanted. My friend opened the same amount and got EVERY skin, he got the last one he needed on his last box before the event ended.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Went for one last box last night and got the Lucio skin. I opened around 6-7 boxes( didn't buy any) during the event and ended with Lucio and DVA skins. I can live with that.

Owzers

how likely is it that the halloween event, presuming there is one, is better to consumers than this one? There's so much awful condensed into summer games boxes, it's sad how little blizzard is interested in addressing it.

Clipse

how likely is it that the halloween event, presuming there is one, is better to consumers than this one? There's so much awful condensed into summer games boxes, it's sad how little blizzard is interested in addressing it.
I honestly think it's going to be the same. Blizzard probably made bank with the summer event, so why change anything?

Yukinari

Jeff Kaplan can spin how generous the devs are and that the skins are supposed to be rare all they want but i would be shocked if they didnt at least apply some form of criticism to the next event.

The most basic thing they could do is make event boxes contain only items from the event. We'd still have to put up with RNG bullshit but at least the dupes would be less severe.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
As soon as i saw the cool looking Zarya skin i knew i would never get it.
I got all the premium skins and more ... excepto for Zarya's

hydruxo

Jeff Kaplan can spin how generous the devs are and that the skins are supposed to be rare all they want but i would be shocked if they didnt at least apply some form of criticism to the next event.

The most basic thing they could do is make event boxes contain only items from the event. We'd still have to put up with RNG bullshit but at least the dupes would be less severe.

I think they have to change something about it if they don't want to risk more negative publicity. It would not look good on their part to put out another event with the exact same policy as far as not being able to buy cosmetics with currency.

duckroll

I think they have to change something about it if they don't want to risk more negative publicity. It would not look good on their part to put out another event with the exact same policy as far as not being able to buy cosmetics with currency.

Yeah they'll make us grind for pumpkins instead during the Halloween event, to buy Halloween Loot Boxes instead of getting them normally. There you go. You asked for forced participation to make the loot feel more rare! Oh btw, you can still buy them if you really want to spend money! The problem was clearly that Summer Loot Boxes were too EASY to get normally and hence didn't feel special enough!

All this is going to do is heavily discourage people to buy boxes until the next seasonal event.

Which is going to incentivize Blizzard to have as many of them as possible.

Kind of fucked up really.

duckroll

All this is going to do is heavily discourage people to buy boxes until the next seasonal event.

Not really? I mean honestly, and now I'm dropping the sarcasm for a moment, I would say that is a good thing? If there is a monetary incentive for Blizzard to have events as often as possible, it means that there is something new and interesting going on in the game more often rather than not. That's a plus for everyone playing the game. It means there are new cosmetics more regularly, and more themed events means more fun minigames or whatever things they can come up with to change the atmosphere of the game around.

Next they dump a bunch of new, unseasonal content in that you can earn or buy with in-game currency in the usual way. Couple of new Reinhardt skins, Sombra drops... problem solved.

Mr. Robot

They should let you buy the season skins with coins while the event lasts, and make them exclusive to purchasable lootboxes when the event ends.

I wanted that Tracer...

Top Bottom