• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has 7 million+ players

Seiniyta

Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160602006554/en/

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The world needs heroes, and citizens from London to Xi’an to Rio de Janeiro are rising to the occasion to join the ranks of Overwatch®! Blizzard Entertainment’s critically acclaimed team shooter launched worldwide on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, and Windows PC on May 24, and since then more than 7 million players have fought for the future inOverwatch, logging more than 119 million hours combined in one of the most successful global game launches of all time—and the battle is just getting started.*
“Over the months and weeks leading up to release we saw a lot of love and support for Overwatch—from Blizzard gamers, FPS fans, and people who’d never picked up a game like this before—and we’re very grateful for everyone’s incredible passion and enthusiasm,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We poured a lot of effort into creating a game—and a new universe—that anyone could enjoy. We’re ecstatic to have had such a successful launch, and we’re looking forward to all of the fun, competition, and new content still to come.”

Since launch, players have swapped heroes 326 million times and teamed up to deliver 11 million payloads to their destinations on the battlefields of tomorrow. In addition to being a smash with players around the world, Overwatch is a critical hit, and is one of the best-reviewed games of the year. GameSpot has called Overwatch “something spectacular,” while Forbes wrote that “Overwatch, quite simply, is a miracle” and that it’s “a game for everyone.” According to Game Informer, “Overwatch is an amazing experience,” concluding in its 10-out-of-10 review that “things will never be the same.”

*Based on internal company records and reports from key distribution partners.

Ridley327

Well, I hope no one had any other game topping the charts in the NPD thread. Crazy result for a new IP that few had known about prior to the beta.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Daaaang!!

Mad props to the backend and networking dudes and gals, game had an amazing launch.

Not as popular as D3 at launch but damn fucking close. Great job Blizzard for your new IP after 2 decades, look forward to what the future brings for this game/franchise.

Edit: Actually I think it did breakDiablo 3 launch sales, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Cartho

They deserve it. Such a superb game. Just found out that a 6 D.Va strat on payload attack is both hilarious and effective.

That's only the amount of players. There are people that buy games and then don't play them too.

Granted that's probably a lower number.

People thinking it wasn't going to sell better than The Division in that one thread are hilarious by the way.

Seiniyta

Not as popular as D3 at launch but damn fucking close. Great job Blizzard for your new IP after 2 decades, look forward to what the future brings for this game/franchise.

There's still a bit of a difference of a franchise that people have been clamoring for a new game of it for ages over a brand new game. Still super impressive nonetheless.

Ashtar

Good thing Rex never validated my avatar bet with him !
Good job by blizzard, I wonder if it beat destiny for biggest new ip launch

Warxard

Banned
That's only the amount of players. There are people that buy games and then don't play them too.

Granted that's probably a lower number.

People thinking it wasn't going to sell better than The Division in that one thread are hilarious by the way.

I don't even know what The Division is lol

--

Overwatch is god. God bless. My McCree tho

Arkam

They publishing CCU figures yet? That is what I care about since the game is multiplayer only. Could care less if 1billion bought if they dont play and are available for me to play with.

jbug617

Banned
Halo, COD and most FPS don't hook me to play competitive online but Overwatch for some reason just feels good to me. It feels like even though I may die a bunch of times I do feel like i contribute to the team.

Less than the number of people who played the beta?

Edit: Oh, Watch Dogs sold 4 million in the first week. I guess that means Overwatch did sell well

oakenhild

Selling much better than I expected for a multiplayer game that is $60 and competing against a huge pool of F2P games (TF2, etc).

Game is definitely worth it to me so far. Been a lot of fun.

Hasney

It didn't actually do that great physically in the UK. But seems like the rest of the world has certainly picked up that slack and then some.

antitrop

Well, I hope no one had any other game topping the charts in the NPD thread. Crazy result for a new IP that few had known about prior to the beta.

Yeah, I had no interest in it until the Beta, and then I was like "What's wrong with me, why haven't I been excited for this game, THIS IS AMAZING".

Pretty impressive, especially since it's a new IP.

...wonder how it stacks up to other new IP launches

*Googles...

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_new_IPs said:
Best selling new IPs. Unique games that sold more than 2 million copies worldwide on one or more systems.

Sales figuresEdit
Super Mario Bros - 40 million (bundled)
Tetris (33 million)
Wii Sports (81 million) (bundled)
Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (20.08 million approximately: 10.23 million in Japan, 9.85 million in US)
Nintendogs (18.67 million)
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (12.98 million)
Starcraft (11 million)
Gran Turismo (10.85 million shipped)
Watch_Dogs (9 million shipped)
Pac-Man - 7 million
Tomb Raider (7 million)
Crash Bandicoot (6.8 million)
Legend of Zelda - NES (6.51M)
Myst (6 million)
Assassin's Creed - 5 million (forecasted)
Halo - 5 million
Gears of War - 4.7 million
Kingdom Hearts (4.68 million approximately: 3.45 million in US, 1.23 million in Japan; 5.9 million shipped including Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Ultimate Hits)
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (4.2 million)
Pitfall - 4 million
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 4M
Star Fox (4 million)
Sonic the Hedgehog (4 million)
Spyro The Dragon (3.31 million in US)
MotorStorm (3 million)
PaRappa the Rapper (3 million in Japan)
Fable - 3 million
The Getaway (3 million)
Resident Evil (2.75 million)
Cooking Mama (2.627 million approximately: 1 million in US, 1 million in Europe, 62,660 in Japan)
Driver (2.62 million in US)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (2.51 million in US)
Ratchet & Clank (2.5 million)
Resistance: Fall of Man (2.5 million)
Missile Command (2.5 million)
Perfect Dark (2.5 million)
Golf - 2.46M (Japan)
Dino Crisis (2.4 million)
God of War (2.33 million in US)
Animal Crossing (2.321 million approximately: 1.68 million in US, 641,300 in Japan)
Banjo-Kazooie (2.256 million approximately: 1.85 million in US, 405,944 in Japan)
Bioshock - 2.2M
Devil May Cry (2.16 million)
Chrono Trigger (2.03 million in Japan)
Onimusha: Warlords (2.02 million)
Demon Attack (2 million)
Saints Row - 2M

Top Bottom