• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch is the opposite of Team Fortress 2 for all the wrong reasons, will Overwatch 2 help it return to it's former glory?

What will happen with the Overwatch franchise in the coming years?

• Overwatch is great and it will have a strong playerbase for many years after Overwatch 2

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Overwatch is outdated and Overwatch 2 won't change that

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Overwatch is alright but is lagging behind the current crop of online shooters, so will Overwatch 2

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Overwatch 2 looks terrible and might hurt the franchise

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Overwatch 2 will bring the franchise back to it's heights

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • I just want Team Fortress 3

Votes: 15 33.3%

• Total voters

Bragr

Banned
Overwatch ripped out the intuitive combat and simple classes from Team Fortress 2 and added a multitude of characters all with their own abilities.

Unless you are used to the abilities and team-based playstyle, taking down enemies in Overwatch is frustrating with the massive health bars and shields, this has caused the game to dwindle a bit and every year it's stepping into the shade of the other big shooters. Team Fortress 2 struck a balance between class abilities you can learn in seconds and more flexibility for the solo players since they can still be effective on their own.

Now, don't get me wrong, Overwatch is a great game, but its gameplay style frustrates as many as it pleases.

Overwatch 2 is a push to get new people into Overwatch. It's a marketing ploy trying to breathe life into the franchise. I think Overwatch 2 is gonna get decent reviews, maybe great, and you will see a surge in Overwatch players for a few months, and then it's gonna fall right off. Overwatch 2 will not have the hype and unique approach of the first game to play on, it's gonna face a harder cliff to climb.

Print-art-Game-Overwatch-print-poster-D-Va-Sombra-Widowmaker-Tracer-print-poster-on-canvas-print.png_.webp

harmny

Banned
Uless you are used to the abilities and team-based playstyle, taking down enemies in Overwatch is frustrating with the massive health bars and shields, this has caused the game to dwindle a bit.

Lol this is not the reason the game is dwindling. The reason tf2 is still alive is hats and only hats. And the reason counter strike global offensive went from being dead on arrival to being one of the most played games in the world is skins too.

Valve created this ecosystem of skins and the community market where people can trade skins for money and that is why those games are alive.

If overwatch was made by valve and had something like that it would be a top 3 game on steam. Same game without changing anything

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Overwatch 2 is mainly targeted at handling the PvE aspect and dealing with the lore people keep wanting. It didn't sound like there were going to be any major changes to the multiplayer aspect given they mentioned MP would be cross-play for both games.

Bragr

Banned
Lol this is not the reason the game is dwindling. The reason tf2 is still alive is hats and only hats. And the reason counter strike global offensive went from being dead on arrival to being one of the most played games in the world is skins too.

Valve created this ecosystem of skins and the community market where people can trade skins for money and that is why those games are alive.

If overwatch was made by valve and had something like that it would be a top 3 game on steam. Same game without changing anything
That's oversimplifying it, skins and hats are a big boon for sure, but ask a random player and the main issue people have with Overwatch is how hard it is to jump into the game and start getting kills. It's too reliant on teams to have success for a casual.

Sygma

So here's the thing, Overwatch is above all a team based game where you can carry to an extent by having vastly superior mechanical abilities on characters which inherently have an edge in that situation. Overwatch has "simple" bases but its all about a much more complex style of play than TF 2 because of the ult economy alone and how some heroes are stronger with others, etc

Its not TF in the sense that you can solo carry your team at all levels. Then again i don't know a SINGLE team pvp game where you can hard carry alone, and these performances at the highest level (ie OW league) are also a rarity. Teamwork and execution are key. Too many people entering these games mainly think about the fun factor in a "I WANNA BE A FACTOR", its just not the right type of game for that, especially since the foundations of any team is based on the holy trinity

Paladins might be much more your jam because you can truly destroy stuff on your own by your own skill on a much more frequent basis

Last edited:

Paltheos

Unless you are used to the abilities and team-based playstyle, taking down enemies in Overwatch is frustrating with the massive health bars and shields, this has caused the game to dwindle a bit and every year it's stepping into the shade of the other big shooters. Team Fortress 2 struck a balance between class abilities you can learn in seconds and more flexibility for the solo players since they can still be effective on their own.

This seems like a... 2019 take? Do you regularly play? Overwatch has balanced barriers for a while now. Sigma and Orisa have had their barrier healths' halved (or nearly), and Rein's barrier has seen a smaller drop but it's been offset by higher damage on his hammer and faster movement speed while his barrier's up. The design choices have tended toward forcing action over building fortified positions. Some heroes can still do that, to some extent (like Rein), but there's allot of different playstyles that are viable to run right now. The game hasn't been Barrierwatch for a while now.

YukiOnna

This has already been proven false. They have even shown RPG leveling and talent trees.
Yeah I'm hoping it's a big difference maker and the maps are varied enough. Would be nice if the volume of cutscenes are increased because it's a PvE based game. It's a bit worrisome we haven't seen the game for a while now though.

This seems like a... 2019 take? Do you regularly play? Overwatch has balanced barriers for a while now. Sigma and Orisa have had their barrier healths' halved (or nearly), and Rein's barrier has seen a smaller drop but it's been offset by higher damage on his hammer and faster movement speed while his barrier's up. The design choices have tended toward forcing action over building fortified positions. Some heroes can still do that, to some extent (like Rein), but there's allot of different playstyles that are viable to run right now. The game hasn't been Barrierwatch for a while now.
This is true. Even with heroes like Symmetra who have an ult that acts as a giant barrier, the game has trended away from shield tanks having such dominance. Shields just don't last as long and you are forced to play more aggressively than defensively. Addition of heroes like Hammond and Sigma were a good move.

Bragr

Banned
But this is from an Overwatch fan, I doubt most players even notice this. At least from my perspective what I hear people dissing Overwatch for, that's you just can't jump into it like other shooters. It's like if Rainbow Six Siege has 2 times the armour, or if you started Fortnite with full shields. It would reduce the amount of easy cheap kills and impact the urge to jump into the game if you stopped playing for a while. It's a psychological thing, how the feel of the game retain core players and caters to new audiences. The new current crop of shooters is easier to get into.

I am not dissing it though, my point is not that it's a bad game, but that I don't see Overwatch 2 saving the drop in players.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I have no idea what Overwatch plays like in 2021, but I’ll assume it’s an overtuned mess after the 67,897 “balance” patches that have been deployed since release. I played it for a few months after release and it was god damn amazing - until they started to neuter and rape the entire cast of characters with never-ending “balance” patches. That’s when I deleted the game and haven’t looked back since.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have no idea what Overwatch plays like I’m 2021. I played it for a few months after release and it was god damn amazing - until they started to neuter and rape the entire cast of characters with never-ending “balance” patches. That’s when I deleted the game and haven’t looked back since.

Funnily, I bought the game and never downloaded it. Bought it to play with my cousin but I always forget about it.

It looks impressive and diverse in terms of powers. Free 2 Play would make it trendy.

VN1X

Banned

To be fair it's that in part but also due to the fact that Valve took over development after Hidden Path merely turned out a serviceable game at best, a mere polished CS: Source at worst. CS:GO in 2021 is such a different beast compared to what we got in 2012.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm hoping it's a big difference maker and the maps are varied enough. Would be nice if the volume of cutscenes are increased because it's a PvE based game. It's a bit worrisome we haven't seen the game for a while now though.
The only worrying news to me(especially for PvP) is Jeff Kaplan leaving Blizzard. Hopefully they're already in the polishing phase of development.

However as a Tank player, the loss of Jeff will definitely be felt over time(since he was a tank main himself).

Last edited by a moderator:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Funnily, I bought the game and never downloaded it. Bought it to play with my cousin but I always forget about it.

It looks impressive and diverse in terms of powers. Free 2 Play would make it trendy.
One thing they really nailed is the character design. At least the original cast (back when I played the game) was really well-done and appealing. I was blown away by how fun each character was to play, and they all contribute uniquely to the flow of the game.

rubenburgt

The game is still good, but it used to be great. With the pandering to the forced esports, even with the balancing of game, the departure of the head developer during the development of the sequel and the fact that Activision and Blizzard are one now, can I not help but wondering how long this game stay strong and active.

I rather have team fortress 3, because Ihave more faith in the inactive valve than in the active activision-blizzard.

The Skull

Actually balance the game. It just seems that they have no idea what game they want it to be. Least some of the PvP changes in overwatch 2 sound promising.

Griffon

Overwatch over-reliance on competitive game modes is what kills it.

There's no sense of community, just chasing ranks. And anybody knows that once your normal skill level is found, you will stay there and rarely go up in MMR, if at all. Only kids are under the illusion that they'll go up in rank forever (but then quickly find out the truth and quit). All this create is frustration and toxicity.

What it needs is a game mode that can be played in ~10v10 like TF2, run by community servers. So that you can come and play with the same groups of people and have a cool place to hang out in. Fuck matchmaking.

Reactions: RNG

TheContact

i have almost 2k hours into overwatch, been playing mostly competitive games. i've been in every rank from silver to gm, and while the gameplay is fun (except 2cp...fuck 2cp), it's the community that sucks. a lot of the playerbase is super toxic and one person having a bad game or throwing because they got called out for something can ruin the entire match, and in a game that is very hard to climb out of the rank you're in (unless you make alts and grind back up to your skill level (which a lot of people do...most games are just playing against alts of people who are climbing). now that jeff's gone i have zero hope for overwatch's future, but i do think the PvE mode will be fun. I'm looking forward to that. Really, I thought the original MMO concept of Titan was cool--sucks they couldn't make it work. A FPS MMO would be awesome.

Boneless

Overwatch 2 is more like Overwatch 1.2. Or Overwatch PVE DLC. I would be surprised if it does not flop.

Last edited:

wipeout364

For starters Overwatch 2 should not be compatible with Overwatch 1. They need to start over and build it from the ground up and target the new systems(PC, PS5 and Series X). It needs to also lose the focus on e sports which no one watches.

I am very concerned about it’s focus on PVE which in my experience in Overwatch 1 has been extremely lackluster, boring, and it’s something no one wanted or asked for; like Overwatch’s focus on pro play.

Team Fortress to me lost its way with its focus on alternate guns and abilities which made the game far too messy. Go back to the original classes where you knew what you were going against. Bring back a focus on capture the flag not so much payload. Bring back grenades.

Top Bottom